Justice League The Wachowskis On the Short-List to Direct

FilmNerdJamie

Obtainer of wrong opinions!
Reaction score
Exclusive : two other names on the Justice League director wish-list
Clint Morris
August 26, 2012

Warner Bros has a smallish list of directors they're talking to about "Justice League", the long-proposed superhero team-up movie (including new comic-book bed-buddies Superman and Wonder Woman! Can you believe that!? Way to sell a comic book to a woman though, DC!) that they’ve been planning since… well, George Miller couldn’t get it going.

Ben Affleck's name is on that list, we know that. And we also know that Affleck's not every keen on doing the picture – sadly, he would’ve donated much gravitas to it. But Ben’s too busy doing his own thing right now, putting together the kind of unique, original dramas that win filmmaker’s Oscars.

That means one of the other names on the list will likely get the gig. Haven’t seen the list, nor do I know all the names on it, but I’ve heard whisperings of two other names on the wish-list.

As most know, I’m now a partner in a global PR firm that specializes in event management and digital marketing of talent in-front-of and behind the camera. This bit of news came courtesy someone we’ve been working with – someone who would likely have a better chance at getting a glass to a door at WB than most of us. So here goes…

Lana and Andy Wachowski.

What I’m told is Warner Bros are apparently jazzed with “Cloud Atlas”, and love that it’s as much a spectacle as it is a showcase for the immense ensemble involved, so it makes sense the W’s are under consideration. “Justice League” needs to be as big on character, as it does bells & whistles, and the Wachowski’s could probably offer that.

The directing duo have also gave the studio one of their most successful film trilogies of all time, “The Matrix” trio (I won’t mention “Speed Racer”).

Quite a few reasons why WB would consider the directing duo a viable option for “Justice League”, but would Lana and Andy even consider it? Hard to say. They definitely like to work at their own speed, and definitely like to do their ‘own’ thing as opposed to being merely one ‘cog’ in a venture, so I can’t see them jumping through hoops to pull the strings on a ‘we want it done now’ large corporate statement like this. Still, exciting possibility nonetheless.

The Wachowski’s have considered comic book films before (and they’ve done one of their better graphic novel *** film adaptations in “V for Vendetta”). They toyed with a “Plastic Man” movie for a while there, and it’s rumoured they were in the running to do “Man of Steel” – or an incarnation of a ‘Superman’ reboot’ – before the studio went with Zack Snyder. So the twosome definitely do shy away from men-in-tights movies.

(It’d also mean Hugo Weaving would be an easy score for one of the villains. Hmm.. wonder what he’d look like bald!?)

… though, personally, my vote is still with Ruben Fleischer.

"Justice League" is being written by “Gangster Squad” scribe Will Beale.

http://moviehole.net/201256990exclusive-two-other-names-on-the-justice-league-director-wish-list

Last edited:
I know many will probably be reserved about the Wachowski's handeling the JL, but I've enjoyed their work for the most part and wouldn't be against it.

If they do not interfere with the original script except introducing some minor ideas here and there, If they allow how the original characters are portrayed in the script, then I am alright with them.

They are good at directing action and story.

As long as The Wachowskis don't modify the script, I'm ecstatic with the possibilities. V for Vendetta was spectacular (one of the greatest CBMs ever made along with Watchmen, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man, etc). I'm down with the choice. :up:

I wonder who Hugo Weaving will play in the film. :awesome:

If Cloud Atlas is as good as I'm hoping it is, then HELL YES to the Wachowskis.

Also, Hugo Weaving for... Martian Manhunter.

Oh man, I forgot about the reoccurring collaborations The Wachowskis are known for. :cool:

They have avoided getting attached to movies featuring costumed superheroes in the past, but hopefully now (with all the cbm success) they think differently.

If they do direct, I wonder if that means Plastic Man will show up somewhere in the film.

I absolutely love the Wachowski's. Loved the entire Matrix trilogy and Speed Racer. Cloud Atlas looks beyond incredible too.

My interest would skyrocket to unbelievable heights if they get picked.

maybe they will be as successful at ripping off morrison's JLA as they were ripping off morrison's invisibles

I feel like they have the potential to make a fantastic film. They've been attached to five big films - four of which I've seen (Matrix 1-3 and V) - two of which were amazing (Matrix and V)- one of which is one of eight films I have ever called "perfect" (The Matrix - joining the Good, the Bad and the Ugly and the Godfather Part I and II, Casablanca, The Lion King, The Empire Strikes Back and LOTR).

The Wachowskis had also written screenplay (and story) for movie "Assassins" (1995) which was directed by Richard Donner. It was a decent action / suspence movie.

The Wachowskis had also written screenplay (and story) for movie "Assassins" (1995) which was directed by Richard Donner. It was a decent action / suspence movie.

The script they wrote is different from the one used during shooting. Even though the movie was an okay flick , the wachowski's hated the movie so much the decided to direct their own movies.

ANyway as for the wachowskis possibly directing.
Obviously great news for me as i'm a big fan. Despite their previous stance on CB movies ( they were offered Batman after THe Matrix and also offered SUperman a couple of times) , their stock has dropped a bit following Speed Racer. Cloud Atlas had a hard time finding funding but with the movie getitng some good recognisition , maybe the wachowskis will decide to take on Justice League as well.

I'd be interested in what these guys could do with JL. If there's a 3rd JL film though someone need to keep an eye on them. :woot:

from what i understand they are big superhero fans. but they would like to make an original superhero movie.

I'm on the fence about this if it comes true. I'm a fan of the matrix but i haven't been really impressed by anything else they've come up with since the 1st film.

We'll see how cloud atlas turns out.

Aslong as they hire ILM or WETA for the cgi i dont mind them.

I would fully support them if they did.

Yeah, I would too.

It'd be a bonus if they are already justice league fans. That's something the crew of green lantern seemed to lack. Plus matrix is one of the best movies ever. I've seen it like 20 times, and I don't really rewatch movies.

Well the only thing they've done that I liked was the first Matrix, but while I didn't enjoy Speed Racer, I still appreciate it on a creative/technical level. IMO, this the most interesting name mentioned in relation to this project yet.

Please let the brothers get this. I was hoping for Ben but I honestly forgot about them. Maybe the film could be in the tone of "V for Vendetta"

I approve of this...if only to see how they handle batman.
wonder woman too.

go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"