The Walking Dead "The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The show is a guilty pleasure for me basically. I think its improved this season. But its simply gone from bad to meh to decent since its inception. Just too many excellent series on tv/netflix right now to laud something like TWD.

Anyway, the ratings remain high regardless of the subpar writing acting or characterizations etc. so theres really no point in complaining. It should keep plodding along for years to come.

TANK!

MTV has revealed the image that shows David Morrissey as The Governor sitting next to what looks like a tank. Is he planning on raiding the prison with it like he did in the comic books? We'll have to wait and see this Sunday. Titled "Dead Weight," the new episode is described as follows:

"Something new unfolds at a camp outside the prison, and the addition of new members may threaten peace."

rYgWhN5.jpg

Have you forgotten Andrea? They aint scared to change a character.

I'm fine with them trying to make the Gov. a little sympathetic though I don't need another entire episode centered around him.

I'm still having trouble deciding whether it was the actress or the way the character was written that made her so unlikable, though having her sleep around with the biggest scumbags on the show probably didn't help.

My main issue with the episode was that, despite it being one of the best paced and written episodes of the season, The Governor was known for being this sick, putrid human being. If you wanna add dimension to him, make a flashback episode explaining why he turned so sick. Making him sympathetic now is weird. It can either go 2 ways: either he stays this way and doesn't turn into what could've been the show's biggest antagonist, or he does go back to being evil. The problem with that is now we feel sorry for him, kinda rooting for him, even if he attacks the prison.

I don't know. The show is still pretty good, but the way they've treated Andrea and Governor is extremely disappointing. And this is coming from a guy who liked IM3's Mandarin. :o

Last edited:
I don't see the problem with giving the Governor depth. It would be boring if he was just a remorseless generic evil villain every week.

I think its even more frightening because he can be a nice charming caring guy one minute and then snap into a dangerous homicidal calculating murder the next.

You hit the nail on the head with this.

Watching last week's episode, I kept waiting for:

1. Zombies to attack and kill the family, causing the Gov to revert back to his old self

OR

2. The Governor to just snap at any moment and kill them himself.

Now, once he began to bond with the daughter, I figured the latter wouldn't happen. But up until that point, you don't know for sure how volatile he is... or could be again.

Andrea's poor decisions made her unlikable with some of the audience I imagine. Shooting Daryl, backing Shane, sleeping and trusting the governor.

I thought the Andrea hatred was a little exaggerated (though she did officially have terrible taste in men), but the finale had me saying she deserved her fate.

Seriously, it does not take that long to reach damn pliers. And oh, Milton is dying and turning into a walker and eating me at any minute, but I'm gonna sit here and monologue for 10 minutes and not even try to free myself.

The Andrea hate did go a bit too far but I could see why she wasn't peoples favoruite character

I thought the Andrea hatred was a little exaggerated (though she did officially have terrible taste in men), but the finale had me saying she deserved her fate.

Seriously, it does not take that long to reach damn pliers. And oh, Milton is dying and turning into a walker and eating me at any minute, but I'm gonna sit here and monologue for 10 minutes and not even try to free myself.

That finale had some of the worst writing, I swear...

There was much turmoil in the show around that time... glad we're past it.

Also, if they dangle that pic of The Governor and a tank in front of us and then never have that thing smashing through the gates of the prison.....no me gusta.

Also, if they dangle that pic of The Governor and a tank in front of us and then never have that thing smashing through the gates of the prison.....no me gusta.

That's Primal Slayer's catchphrase now, Schloss, get your own. :o

This show probably does not have the balls for **** to actually go down with that tank

I hope the Governor's old crew kills him and the Ricktatorship never even learns what happened to him. Sometimes you don't get closure; you just learn to move on.

What happened to the other guy that left with the Governor.

I wonder if the writers wrote her that way intentionally in that ep. b/c of her reputation of being the most hated character on the show by many. B/c That was some weak writing right there. Though I never hated Andrea I didn't like how she was written last season. I know I'm in the minority on this but I wanted her character to return in S4 so she could redeem herself to Rick, Michonne, and the gang. As well as make up for past mistakes. Oh well.. this season is doing fine without her... I guess.

The Walking Dead Enlists Andrew J. West for Secret Season 4 Role

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=111718

According to The Hollywood Reporter, one more survivor is about to join "The Walking Dead" in the form of Andrew J. West ("Greek"). Details are being kept under wraps about West's role, but it is said that his character is not directly from the source material. Instead, he is a "remix" of someone from the comic series.

The site also notes that, like other recently-added characters, West will be credited as a "guest star" for the second half of season 4 with an option to become a series regular in season 5.

Other new cast members for the fourth season of "The Walking Dead" include Larry Gilliard Jr., Josh McDermitt, Michael Cudlitz, Alanna Masterson and Christian Serratos.

gZDsvBj.jpg

The show is a guilty pleasure for me basically. I think its improved this season. But its simply gone from bad to meh to decent since its inception. Just too many excellent series on tv/netflix right now to laud something like TWD.

Anyway, the ratings remain high regardless of the subpar writing acting or characterizations etc. so theres really no point in complaining. It should keep plodding along for years to come.

What? The first season was easily the best season the show has put out so far.

I find this series to be overrated. I like it enough to continue watching but I don't think its worthy of the high praise it always gets

I find this series to be overrated. I like it enough to continue watching but I don't think its worthy of the high praise it always gets

I enjoy it, but after reading the comics and seeing how good those stories were, the majority of what they've done in the TV show has paled in comparison. Mostly because the show hasn't had the "go for the throat" style of storytelling the comics do.

To be fair, can't you say that about nearly EVERY comic book adaptation?

You can do things in comics that you can never get away with on TV or in movies because the latter need to have more mainstream appeal.

Frank Darabont: "Many on The Walking Dead Felt Abused"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/21/frank-darabont-many-on-the-walking-dead-felt-abused
IGN: Were there any lessons that you took from your experience working with AMC on The Walking Dead that you brought into your work on Mob City?

Frank Darabont:
Work with nice people. Otherwise don't show up. That's the lesson.

IGN: You recently said that you don't watch The Walking Dead and haven't kept up with the show since you left, which makes sense. You've also said that the priorities weren't caring for the cast and crew. What were the priorities? Was it just financial? Or were there creative differences as well?

Darabont: Money. Greed. Power mongering.

IGN: Were they simply not willing to provide the budget you needed in order to do what you needed to do?

Darabont: The big crux of our argument was budget. If somebody comes and hands you the biggest hit you've ever had you don't just say, 'Okay, now we're going to cut your budgets by 25% across the board. And we don't give a s**t if you care, if you don't like it.' That's just...I don't even understand that kind of thinking. Or how much punishment it visits upon the people who are actually making the show, which was incredibly difficult to begin with. Cutting your resources by a quarter in the following season so they work even longer hours and under harder circumstances? It's inhuman. I'll write a book about this one day.

IGN: Did you ever have a debrief with the cast and crew? At the time, it seemed like everyone was really afraid to comment.

Darabont: Oh yes, they were bullied, and threatened, and their livelihoods threatened, and there was some weight being thrown around. Like I said, I'll write a book. And there are a lot of people who will go on record. That are actually very keen to go on record, because like I said there are a lot of people who felt tremendously abused.

IGN: What were the conversations like? Jeffery DeMunn [who played Dale on The Walking Dead and plays Hal Morrison on Mob City] did end up leaving the show.

Darabont: Yeah, Jeff didn't want to stick around. Because Jeff is a human being and he's got a tremendous...he doesn't need the work. He doesn't have a very extravagant lifestyle and he wants peace of mind in his life. He's a very good and decent man that way; which is absolutely no reflection on anybody else who stayed with the production. Who had to stay with the production. Who were actually obliged to stay with the production. I actually had a few people, well more than a few people, call and say, 'What do you want us to do? We're thinking of walking off the set. I'm thinking of leaving. I'm thinking of quitting.' And I said do not do that for me. Don't do that. Don't confuse love or loyalty to me with taking some kind of stand that's only going to harm you. Don't expose yourself to legal action or retaliation, which you know these people will take. And just don't do it. It was heartwarming to hear people expressing that loyalty, but I didn't want anyone to compromise their livelihoods. I mean these people have to work and support their families.

IGN: And obviously Jon Bernthal [who played Shane on The Walking Dead] is your lead on Mob City, so staying with the show didn't hurt the relationship with you.

Darabont: Oh, yeah. Oh, I love that whole cast. And the crew. That was the thing, it was very much a family. It was a family like this [Mob City] is a family. So having that family torn apart for whatever reasons was very heartbreaking for everybody.

Okay...

Look, I don't know what went on and what didn't and perhaps Darabont is truly spot-on. But I can't help but roll my eyes at some of those comments. Even if your budget was slashed and some people took a paycut while still working on long hours, you're working on a damned TV show. Do you have any idea how many of us out there would do literally ANYTHING to be in that position? He makes it sound like they were all pulling doubles at the steel mill for $5.35 an hour and no overtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"