The Walking Dead "The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread - - - - Part 13

Also man what a crappy mid-season finale. I can't wait for the series to be over.

After the Season 6 slap in the face/cliffhanger, the show has not recovered whatsoever. I liked a few episodes from the first half of Season 7, but that's about it. The writing is just SO damn bad. It makes me miss the days of the group on Hershel's farm in Season 2.

I don't even like Negan in this show, which is a damn shame, because I think that Jeffrey Dean Morgan was a great choice for the character. I think the terrible writing AND the directing have failed him, to be honest. The show has failed ALL of the actors, really. They're far too good for the material they've been given, especially Andrew Lincoln.

I've just been "over it" for a year now, and after this really poor first half of Season 8, I think it's time for me to throw in the towel and stop watching altogether.

My husband, who has been a HUGE fan of the show for a long time, even wants to throw in the towel now. After last night's episode, he just told me (in a defeated tone), "This show has gotten SO bad."

It's failed some of the actors. But it doesn't help that characters like Dwight and Jesus were also badly miscast. I've come around to tolerating JDM simply because I now get why he was cast. He's capable of delivering comedy and drama, albeit in extremes.

Season 2 had something to do for all the characters except for maybe T-Dog. Poor guy. But those episodes had the most of the cast in them and didn't rely on bottle episodes with 2 or 3 characters. Had a strong conflict with Shane. It has some of the best episodes. Unpopular opinion, but it might just be my favorite season now.

The dialogue under Gimple has mostly become "I'll kill him. I will. We all will." or "This... This place. This is the world now." It's horrible and boring to listen to. Then there was a tonal shift and drop in quality around the time Glenn went under the dumpster. It used to be gritty and somewhat believable. Now it's turned into a cartoon with Daryl and Rosita firing rocket launchers while standing right next to their targets.

The actors were always the best part of the show and now I think they're starting to get bored. Did anyone catch Melissa McBride's line delivery in the mid-season finale? "Ezekiel, no." Zero emotion behind it for someone like McBride who is always pretty great.

They had an episode of Rick with the trash people, just to have them run away the exact next episode. And it is looking more and more like Carl was fridged just to further Rick's story.

The writing is a goddamn mess.

I miss The Governor.

Season 2 had something to do for all the characters except for maybe T-Dog. Poor guy. But those episodes had the most of the cast in them and didn't rely on bottle episodes with 2 or 3 characters. Had a strong conflict with Shane. It has some of the best episodes. Unpopular opinion, but it might just be my favorite season now.

Season 2 is underappreciated. I get that people were annoyed with how so much happened on the farm, but it had fairly strong character work. It also had "Nebraska", one of my favorite directed, acted, and written scenes of the show.

I was trying to think what went wrong with Gimple's run and I realized a writer named Seth Hoffman, co-executive producer on seasons 4, 5, and half of 6, doesn't work on the show anymore. He wrote some great episodes: Too Far Gone, Claimed, The Distance, No Way Out.

I've never disliked Season 2, to be honest. I just think it was clunky. Some episodes were slow, some episodes were great, some moments were dumb, some moments were fantastic, etc.

I know it's popular for the fans to crap on Season 2 all of the time, but give me THAT season any day over the hospital/Beth stuff in Season 5, and the Glenn fakeout in Season 6, the "meh"-ness of Season 7, and now the pretty awful Season 8.

Season 1 will probably always be my favorite, with Season 4 in a close second.

I'm a big fan of season 2.

Season 2 sucked at the time, but considering how it is now. Season 2 would get higher reviews than season 7/8 and might rank higher than season 6.

I would have to agree. :)

I'm still bitter about how much Season 2 ruined Dale, and the whole thing with Sophia being so sluggishly futile. It does have maybe the best season finale of the series, though. The one-two punch of Shane's death and the farm burning was great.

For those still doubting Chandler Riggs exiting the show. This morning he posted on twitter a picture of himself with a post TWD haircut. He mentioned a couple of years ago on Talking Dead that it was in his contract that he couldn't cut his hair.

new hair who dis

zfUrlTF.jpg

After the Season 6 slap in the face/cliffhanger, the show has not recovered whatsoever. I liked a few episodes from the first half of Season 7, but that's about it. The writing is just SO damn bad. It makes me miss the days of the group on Hershel's farm in Season 2.

I don't even like Negan in this show, which is a damn shame, because I think that Jeffrey Dean Morgan was a great choice for the character. I think the terrible writing AND the directing have failed him, to be honest. The show has failed ALL of the actors, really. They're far too good for the material they've been given, especially Andrew Lincoln.

I've just been "over it" for a year now, and after this really poor first half of Season 8, I think it's time for me to throw in the towel and stop watching altogether.

My husband, who has been a HUGE fan of the show for a long time, even wants to throw in the towel now. After last night's episode, he just told me (in a defeated tone), "This show has gotten SO bad."

Same. This used to be must watch tv for me but nowadays it's "if I catch up " .

I'm just tired of the constant doom and gloom, it's escalated to the point where everyone is depressed 24/7 and feel so disconnected. I'm also tired of the main gang constantly being separated from one another and all these random episodes focusing on some boring character that doesn't add to anything. Last but not least, I just want Darryl to shower and for him and Rick to get a good shave and hair cut.

whiners

all of you

this is not supposed to be a happy world, there will be no happy endings

that's the point

And apparently there are no periods in yours.

whiners

all of you

this is not supposed to be a happy world, there will be no happy endings

that's the point

Doom and gloom is fine ... I just ask for good writing. The writing is horrible right now.

The Red Wedding in Game of Thrones is one of the darkest moments in television history, and it was fantastic because of the great writing. The Walking Dead WISHES it could have moments like that.

(I think that the writing for the Game of Thrones show has gone downhill as well nowadays, but I digress ...)

With Carl out of the picture now, the show is depriving us of some fantastic material from the comic books; some of my FAVORITE material from the comic books.

By killing Carl off, they're sacrificing some great character development for not only him, but for Negan as well. Sorry not sorry for wanting the story and characters to be interesting ...

For those still doubting Chandler Riggs exiting the show. This morning he posted on twitter a picture of himself with a post TWD haircut. He mentioned a couple of years ago on Talking Dead that it was in his contract that he couldn't cut his hair.

new hair who dis

zfUrlTF.jpg

The short hair actually makes him look older. Why was it so necessary that he keep it long? I know the reasoning had something to do with hiding the eye that was missing, but he could't have just acted with an eye patch on?

I just caught up, the episode with Rick and the Garbage Pail Kids was dreadful, sure there was some cool moments but Rick's plan was one of the worst I've ever seen.

The mid season finale was a cluster****, too many moving pieces, huge lapses in logic and one sudden shift and we are back to the grating, smug Saviours taking control. When Rick picked the bat up in the fight with Negan I was hoping he was going to put everyone out of their mysery and end him so the show can move on to The Whisperers storyline.

the ratings are now on par with season 3. At a time when Norman and Andrew are making nearly 500 K an episode.

“I think we’re just seeing a decline in urgency across all media to consume something at a specific time.”

My. Ass. There would still be an urgency to consume if the show was still held to a higher quality, which it isn't. People didn't wait to watch Game of Thrones, or The Last Jedi. The Walking Dead used to be a show where people felt urgency to watch it for fear of being spoiled on social media. But now that viewers are growing tired of how dragged out the show is getting, that urgency is gone. Most of them are probably just waiting until the season drops on Netflix.

His logic is so flawed. The Walking Dead may survive to a season 12 that they've all talked about, but I think most of fans will really ditch by season 10.

I just don't see it being a pinnacle as it was back in season 3/4/5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"