• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Walking Dead "The Walking Dead" General Stuff & Thaaaangs Thread - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid this show is starting to wear a little thin for me.

It really is for me, too. I still think S1 is the best, by far.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.
I'm going to see how the rest of season 5 turns out. So far, from what we've seen in the trailer, it seems like we aren't going to get anything new or exciting, nothing different from what we've already seen before.

That's my biggest fear for the show, that it's just going to keep churning out the same stories and episodes again and again. It looks like we're going to get quite a lot of filler episodes before anything remotely good or exciting happens.

If anyone's interested, I've written a review on the show so far, briefly expressing my disappointment regarding the midseason finale and season 5 so far.

This show doesn't seem to know what to do with itself apart from its shock factor with a character death every now and again.

Season One was incredible and was such a promising start to the series, having the perfect balance of action and drama. Season Two was a little bumpy but offered a great, tense second half.

The third season was where this show began to lose its footing and I'm assuming that it was at this point where the show saw a massive boost in popularity and wanted to make up for the second season's dull moments and give us more episodes per season and making more episodes action-oriented, taking away from some essential drama, making it the worst season ever.

Seasons Four and Five had very promising starts but after watching "Coda", the mid-season finale for S5, I really don't know where this show wants to go anymore; what it has to offer that it hasn't already done. There are no satisfying story arcs and little room for character development as main characters have all toughened up now and are able do what's necessary to survive in this post-apocalyptic world until they get bombarded by an overwhelming number of zombies or until they get faced by a human threat, leaving character deaths inevitable.

Too many episodes are now fillers, with little exchange between characters and nothing that retains an exciting and enjoyable pace for the show. Honestly, I think that sixteen episodes per season is just too much for the writers to handle and they don't really know how to thread these together into something worthwhile.

Whilst I've expressed my concern regarding the direction of this show and whether it can really offer anything new, I just want to point out that there is a great cast here and while their comic-book counterparts are often significantly different, it has been nice to see how these actors/actresses and characters have grown over these past few years, especially since the very first season.

I just wish that the show had better use for its cast, the characters' relationships with each other and more room for growth. As mentioned previously, we've just hit a point where these characters have pretty much reached their full potential, all they can do now is survive until the writers decide to kill them off and I think the show has made the mistake of time-jumping too much and never showing the interesting things that potentially happen in between seasons.

The walkers are scary indeed and the amount of detail gone into the make-up for them walkers is fascinating, especially when we're presented with different types of zombies, affected by their surroundings in some way or another and transforming them in pretty grotesque ways. The practical effects are amazing and really show you how brutal this world is for these characters. I've enjoyed how creative this show can be too, with the way that zombie traps are made and the specific ways that characters have learnt to protect and defend themselves; though we may quickly get the idea, they need to put a little more focus on that or else it seems like these ideas can get easily overlooked.

"The Walking Dead" was definitely my favourite show during the airing of its first two seasons (because who'd ever seen a TV show about zombies before?) but its quality has been steadily declining now that it is unable to cover new ground and offer promising story arcs. There is the occasional great episode and that is where it adopts the formula that made season one so good but these great episodes are usually followed by less interesting, disappointing ones. I just wish this show was consistently good. I'd rather the spin-off/companion series be scrapped and more time and effort spent on improving the current series. Who knows, maybe the companion series can learn from the mistakes that this show has been making and give us something a lot better?

"The Walking Dead" is slowly proving that it has room for improvement and I just hope that the team behind the show recognise this and put this into action.

Holy crap, I didn't even realize that it was returning this Sunday already. :wow:

Sunday is gonna be good, TWD and Better Call Saul! I'm ready!

1350-walking-dead-cover.jpg

Entertainment Weekly said:
The Walking Dead returns with its midseason premiere on Sunday, and what better way to celebrate than with a new Entertainment Weekly cover featuring star Norman Reedus wearing a custom-made “Bite Me” T-shirt? You can bid to own the original shirt worn and signed by Reedus himself—just head over to charitybuzz.com to bid, with proceeds going to one of Reedus’ favorite charities, Oxfam. (Or you can get an official EW replica of the shirt at shop.ew.com.)

Our cover package also has all the inside scoop on what to expect in the next eight episodes, and according to showrunner Scott M. Gimple, that includes a lot of changes—in terms of action, setting, and overall tone. “The story will shift quite a bit,” Gimple warns. “We are going to see a show that in its look and circumstances is very, very different from what we’ve seen.”

Those changes will begin this Sunday with an episode that will feel unlike any other of the zombie drama. “That is going to be a fan-favorite episode in a lot of ways, and it’s going to be a fan-hated episode in a lot of ways,” creator Robert Kirkman admits. “Because it is somewhat brutal. But there’s a lot of magic in that as well. It’s going to be very unique.”

We talk to the stars and producers about where things pick back up, where they’re going, and the bevy of new faces we will be encountering along the way. “I think by the end of the season we’re carrying more characters than we’ve ever had in the whole other five years,” says star Andrew Lincoln.

That will be coming in my mail. :D

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tyrese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So a dude that has gone beast mode on DOZENS of Walkers multiple times get punked by a tiny teenage walker? Mkay.

The curse of being distracted. :(

More like the curse of being a black guy on this show. Noah, you're next.

This show is like Highlander for black men: "There can only be ONE!"

Can they just let everyone bathe and shave? That's all I ask for.

Tyreese's hallucinations could have only been funnier if they had fit Disapproving Ghost Denis Leary in there somewhere.

More like the curse of being a black guy on this show. Noah, you're next.

This show is like Highlander for black men: "There can only be ONE!"
I really don't get why this is still going. I thought people were being over dramatic back when it happened with T-Dog & Oscar in Season 3.

They said it was a coincidence. SO WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING IT? They kill Bob when Father Gabriel is introduced. Now they kill Tyreese since Morgan is probably coming back.

They should have brought Melissa Ponzio back as Karen for the Hallucination scenes.

They should have brought Melissa Ponzio back as Karen for the Hallucination scenes.
For sure. I was super stoked to see David Morrissey and Emily Kinney back as The Governor and Beth, since they were some of my favorites, but it really would have made the most sense to have Karen there. Really thought we'd see her.

I really don't get why this is still going. I thought people were being over dramatic back when it happened with T-Dog & Oscar in Season 3.

They said it was a coincidence. SO WHY DO THEY KEEP DOING IT? They kill Bob when Father Gabriel is introduced. Now they kill Tyreese since Morgan is probably coming back.

Agreed. So much.

I am seriously not the type to point at something and call it some "-ist" thing at the drop of a hat, but the pattern with this show has become SO predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"