The White Stripes

anyone like the Black Keys they are a striped down blues garage rock duo as well and have been around for quite awhile. Their album Magic Potion is amazing. Robert Plant and Kirk Hammet like them as well.

Heres one of their music video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXlgISd3iA

I like the stripes. Got both albums and will grab the new one.

both albums? you do know that they have out 5 albums, right? this new one will be the 6th.

Im the only one of my friends who think 'black math' is their best song.

Anyone with me?
thats a f**king killer song! i wouldnt say its their best, but damn, it rocks pretty damn hard.

Expecting, Hello Operator, There's No Home For You Here and Hardest Button to Button are battling it out for "best song" in my ear.

I haven't heard much of their stuff. From what I have heard the best is probably Seven Nation Army and Hardest Button to Button.

Damn, I can't wait for Icky Thump.

sp3220070301165733vo8.png

He has the Kay out! Orgasm.

I don't listen to them enough, I know that.

I don't have any White Stripes cds yet, but everythig I've heard by them I love. Plus, Jack White is a tremendous Jimmy Page fan, so extra points for him.

if you listen closely to "ball and biscuit", you can hear jack white learning the blues, then deconstructing the blues and lastly, pissing on the remains beacuse there is nothing left of it to explore.

NME reviews three of the songs on Icky Thump:

http://www.nme.com/news/the-white-stripes/26791
Exclusive - NME.COM hears new White Stripes songs
'Icky Thump' tracks previewed in London
5 hours ago
NME.COM has been given exclusive first preview of the new White Stripes album 'Icky Thump' today (March 2).

Three song from the the follow-up to 2005's 'Get Behind Me Satan' were aired at a special playback at London's Soho Revue Bar.

The duo recently recorded and mixed their new album at Nashville, Tennessee's Blackbird Studio.

Here's NME.COM's verdict on the three tracks we heard:

'Icky Thump'
Starts with Meg on pounding bass drums, then breaks into an experimental, heavy sounding 70s riff, that at points varies from a 'Black Math'-like rock sound to electronic sounding, processed sections. The vocals almost never repeat themselves as and there's little conventional structure. Jack's vocals are heavily treated in the production with one of the few clear lyrics in this mainly instrumental track, going, "Why don't you kick yourself out, you're an immigrant too".

'What Love Is'
A more classic sounding White Stripes song recalling 'White Blood Cells'-era. It's a strong, melodic love song with Jack singing the following for the chorus: "You're not hopeless or helpless/I hate to sound cold/But you don't know what love is/You do as you're told".

'Conquest'
The biggest departure of the three tracks previewed. It's an unexpected mix of big guitars and a bold horn section. Boasting a Spanish, Latin feel, it's a third person storytelling song about a serial womaniser, who finally meets his match. "Conquest, he was out to make a conquest" sings Jack. "She was just another conquest, but the hunted became the huntress".

Generally the feel with these tracks, is the band are back to big sounding guitars, but allying that with some very experimental, almost electronic sections.

Interestingly the three tracks were accompanied by an in the studio video of the duo recording the songs, and teasingly one section even feature a bagpipe player, though the instrument didn't appear on any of the tracks.

The tracklisting for the album will also include:

'Catch Hell Blues'
'Little Cream Soda'
'Rag And Bone'
'Clicky Bump'
'You Don't Know What Love Is (Just Do As You're Told)'
'I'm Slowly Turning Into You'

A date is still to be set for the album's release, but it is expected to be out in June

im pretty certain 'Catch Hell Blues' will be the cure to erectile disfunction.

full album review and track listing:
http://prod1.cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=33547292

White Stripes Album Details
2007-03-23 10:54:01.773,
Story by: Kenny Herzog

Jack and Meg have emerged with their sixth album, their first for Warner Bros. (which has also taken on the band’s Third Man imprint) and, most importantly, their first with bagpipes. Those are a couple of the surprises on the ultimately straightforward Icky Thump, which will see daylight in June. CMJ was treated to a special advance listen of the 13-track record, which was recorded in a super-long (at least for the Stripes) three-week session in a super-modern studio (for the first time) and clocks in at a super-sized (relatively speaking) 48 minutes.

As long as the Stripes continue their minimalist-duo tradition, their formula for lo-fi blues-punk won't so much continually expand as it will vary ever-so slightly and then snap back to basics. Less ornate and spacious (i.e., no piano whatsoever) than Get Behind Me Satan, Icky (the title's a bastardization of an English term that connotes excitement) isn't exactly De Stijl either. Although the second track, "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You’re Told)," is a ferocious melodic rocker not dissimilar from another song with parantheticals, "You’re Pretty Good Looking (For A Girl)." Elsewhere, things jump around from the wild solos of the title track and "Little Cream Soda" (which is more or less no-bull**** garage-metal) to the strange, mariachi-esque madness of "Conquest." (Remember in Election, when that crazy nature call would play when Reese Witherspoon got that wild look in her eye? Think that, but with guitars and horns.) And naturally, as the album draws to its close, we get the more traditional acoustic blues of "Effect And Cause," which sounds like the grandchild of the Stones' "Dead Flowers" (with G 'N R's "Used To Love Her" perhaps being the latter's initial offspring) and "Catch Hell Blues," which lives up to its name by smashing slide-guitar up against a vigorous punk rock chord progression. In between, they even get a little Waterboys on us with the Gaelic jaunt of "Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn."

Icky is another step in a semi-lateral direction for a band that commendably sticks to its humble guns, despite the obvious juxtaposition of being privy to bigger budgets and getting further removed from the true garaginess of their roots. It's very possible that, despite Jack's incredible talent as a musician and songwriter, the Stripes' routine could wear thin if they don't eventually give in to something drastically outside of their comfortable red-and-black box. But for now, there's just enough thump and careful creative leaps in these tunes to keep their Detroit motor runnin'.

Tracklist For Icky Thump:
01. Icky Thump
02. You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)
03. 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues
04. Conquest
05. Bone Broke
06. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn
07. St. Andrew (This Battle Is In The Air)
08. Little Cream Soda
09. Rag And Bone
10. I'm Slowly Turning Into You
11. A Martyr For My Love For You
12. Catch Hell Blues
13. Effect And Cause

im really looking forward to catch hell blues and 300 mph torrential outpour blues.

thursday, april 26, 12:01 am, you will be able to purchase the title track single "icky thump" off of itunes!!!

PM me your email address if you want the new single.

The new single is ****ing amazing. Their best riff to date.

dude, this song is so f**king wild!!! those synths are totally psycho, and the guitar riff is so heavy and chunky, its killer.

jag, i sent your email. sorry its an hour after your request, i was at the comic shop.

Thanks, MM! I'll check it out after work! :up:

jag

by the way, the version of the song i have was recorded from the radio, with the DJ cut off from the beginning and end. the actual song itself will be available for purchase off of itunes in the US and canada at 12:01 am (thursday morning).

If anyone wants the higher quality version and without radio dj's talking over it, just pm me.

lyrics.jpg

seeing the lyrics makes me like the song even more:
a rich white american musician, gets trashed and goes down to mexico to perfom. he's seduced by a redhead mexican chick who turns out to have a vengeful vendetta against americans because she was kicked out of the country for being an illegal immigrant. 'icky thump' ends up being bound and robbed by the lady. he has a moral awakening and returns home and "learned to clean up after himself", implying he once lorded over a maid staff of illegal immigrants that cleaned up his messes.

also, on the white stripes official website is some new tour dates. mostly for canada (they're planning on playing every province and territory). and a few american dates. for america, they only plan on playing the 16 states they've never played before, then a very limited number of regular stops. if you plan on seeing the stripes this tour in america, i highly encourage you go to them and not wait for them to come to you. so a road trip may be in order. presale for these dates is April 30, 10 am.

HOLY S#!T!!!!

the white stripes announce YESTERDAY that tickets will go on sale TODAY for an "intimate" show in nashville TOMORROW! the show is at the cannery ballroom, which holds only a 1000 people, and tickets are only $25!!! first show in two years, the first time icky thump material will be played!! tickets for the show sold out in like less than a minute....AND I GOT A PAIR!!!! i have to wake up tomorrow to drive 8 hours to nashville, ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

i really like a lot of their stuff but i have only heard about 6 of their songs, im going to buy their new cd next week. i want to pick up one of their other cd's as well, what would you all recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"