The White Stripes

^^my personal favorites are their first two albums (self titled and detijl). but heres a run down of what they have to offer:

THE WHITE STRIPES (s/t)- really raw, dirty, and low fi, leaning more towards their punk influences, but as always rooted in blues.

DESTILJ (pronounced 'de style')- probably their most well rounded album...it has some serious rock your face off songs, slower jams, pop songs, all around goodness, some of their best work.

WHITE BLOOD CELLS- also displays a pretty wide variety of music, and features their breakout hit fell in love with a girl....but in general is a bit more mellow than most of their albums, but fantastic all around.

ELEPHANT- most popular track is seven nation army. this is a straight up rock your face off album, like big rock songs, arena rock....its only drawback possibly being too much rock for one album? though an incredible album, none the less.

GET BEHIND ME SATAN- quite experimental, which turned off a lot of people. not much guitar on this album, but when its there you feel it in your bones. lots of piano and marimba. fun stuff. while my least favorite, i still love it, but not best for a stripes newbie.

ICKY THUMP- well, just listen to the stream i posted above. this album features a bit of everything from all their albums, i think. though, perhaps not quite as well done on the other albums. but, this is easily another fantastic album from the band. they really have yet to fail me.

i would maybe rank the albums:
Detilj--Self Titled (tied for first)
White Blood Cells
Icky Thump--Elephant (tied)
Get Behind Me Satan

Get Behind Me Satan is my favorite, though I've just recently gotten into the the Stripes and haven't heard everything. Icky Thump has some great new tracks. :up:

i got the album in the mail the other day....theres so much good s#!t on it! 300 mph torrential outpoor blues is genius, and instant blues classic.

Got into them after listening to "Seven Nation Army" and playing it's baseline... I bought Icky Thump on a hunch, and wow, I love it.

What a great year for rock.
-NIN - Year Zero
-Icky Thump
-Velvet Revolver - Libertad
-QoTSA - Era Vulgaris

I don't really like The White Stripes too much, but I have to admit that they are extremely talented.

Big fan. I haven't picked up Icky Thump yet, but I'm actually not sure I want to. I got most of their other stuff, but from the stuff I heard on Conan (for those who didn't see, they did Icky Thump and a country song), I'm not likin' it. Icky Thumps okay, the song itself, but the country song turned me off completely.

Big fan, though.

Big fan. I haven't picked up Icky Thump yet, but I'm actually not sure I want to. I got most of their other stuff, but from the stuff I heard on Conan (for those who didn't see, they did Icky Thump and a country song), I'm not likin' it. Icky Thumps okay, the song itself, but the country song turned me off completely.

Big fan, though.
You're talking about Effect and Cause I guess. It sounds way better on the album. The only songs I don't really care for on Icky Thump are Conquest and Catch Hell.

They just played Moncton.... my hometown... good show, though a tad expensive for tickets.

Love them.......I clean house to them....

I'm seeing them at MSG in a few weeks. What can I expect?

It was a pretty good show, though I felt like I was ready to get off all night long and it just didn't happen.... until the last few songs.

And those final moments were awesome, and they were very classy as they took their bows, shook hands with the audience, etc...

Good times...

:yay:

Maybe the just sound good because they’re the best thing in the crappy top twenty?

i saw them twice the other day in london, ontario. all through out this recent tour they've been doing small secret gigs around town just hours before the nightly big gig. i called in some insider info to find out where the secret gig was and saw them play 11 songs with only about 100 other people in attendance. it was rad. and the later show at night was phenominal. i've seen them about 10 times before, and this was quite likely one of the best shows i've seen from them. they did 'the union forever', which i've never heard them do live before, along with their captain beefheart cover of 'party of special things to do'. they also played 'little cream soda', and at the end jack was singing 'the big 3 killed my baby' lyrics to the tune of little cream soda....f**king great!!!!

Well, I did in fact see them this Tuesday and the were f**king increadible. We had to suffer through two less than decent opening acts, but it was well worth the wait. They came out and just broke out into a blistering couple of hard rocking songs that pretty much melted my face off. For me, the highlight was "Icky Thump," which has become my favorite song of theirs. The live version is simply fantastic and very spontanious. At the second verse, Jack stumbled on a couple of the words and just began randomly jamming and just kept going with it. That's rock and roll. Very powerful experience.

I never could get into the White Stripes really, i tried, i honestly did. They're ok, just not my thing i guess. the Dirtbombs and the Von Bondies are where it's at for Detroit rock for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"