The Wisdom Thread

It can't all be sunshine and rainbows and "You can do it!" Sometimes... You need some perspective.

mpBoQ9i.jpg

Lol, sad but true. :( At least they weren't bored, though.

"If you make a community pretending you are an idiot, eventually you'll be filled with real idiots thinking they are in good company."

Looking at you, Flat Earth Trolls.

Two from my father.

Education is never free. Every lesson in life has a price tag. Some only cost you a little bit of your time, while others may cost you money or, even friends or family but, there's always a price.

(While helping me financially.) This money I'm giving you, isn't mine. It was given to me by my father when I needed it. One day, you'll give it your kids when they need it.

And one from my cousin.

When it reaches your knee, it is no longer a fart.

Last edited:
Two from my father.

Education is never free. Every lesson in life has a price tag. Some only cost you a little bit of your time, while others may cost you money or, even friends or family but, there's always a price.

(While helping me financially.) This money I'm giving you, isn't mine. It was given to me by my father when I needed it. One day, you'll give it your kids when they need it.

And one from my cousin.

Squeekness agrees with both of these golden nuggets. :p

Two from my father.

And one from my cousin.

Beautiful stuff. Yes... Even the fart one. ;)

0cb42ba24227d2f34681fea417bd6b0a.jpg

5ee289e6a835d610457b6a6fff148fe5.jpg

f0ea58c94ecfd74f01edb04648afe061.jpg

On the other hand...

a3022fa714e6e1b238434cbf9634bf24--high-expectations-high-standards.jpg

He certainly succeeded however one looks at it.

LBS-6-Mandy-Burage-FINAL-570x360.jpg

This too has great truth to it.

you-will-never-be-disappointed.jpg

Perhaps, as is often the case... A middle ground yields us the truest peak at reality as it is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Again... See the grain of salt that is applicable and these have some wisdom to yeild.
Take them as absolutes and that's where the trouble starts... Still stuff worth considering.

PQgA8bW.jpg

I posted this in a SW TLJ thread in response to another poster but I think it bears sharing here.

Agreed. She is going to discover something in those books that changes the way see see the Force and what bringing balance to it means. At least I hope :up:

I think based on things Luke and Snoke both say, this will be the case.

I think the books are important for her to get a handle on what the old Jedi knew of the Force, their mission, their philosophy, etc.

But if one can indulge a somewhat lengthy digression...

[YT]Rme4HrOL8vw[/YT]

"When gone am I... The Last Of The Jedi will you be... Pass on what you have learned..."

Yoda in TLJ showed that he had learned the lessons of the Jedi Order's failures that led to the rise of the Empire and the corruption of Anakin Skywalker. In light of the Episode VIII and it's arc for Luke I think that the idea of Luke passing on what he had learned was about much more than what ever technique or philosophy he had acquired. What he passed to Rey was what he had learned in life itself. The hard won wisdom born of triumphs and failures that is never going to be in a book, even a book full of Jedi knowledge, which Luke himself knew was not capable of being transmitted in it's entirety to Rey in any single or even multiple lessons. He could only start her down the path as a guide, having traveled such a path himself.

I was training in Filipino Martial Arts and Jeet Kune Do Concepts many moons ago when I met a Tai Chi practitioner in the park one day. Dude was around my age and as is often the case when two martial artists meet they often end up discussing shop, comparing styles and trading stories of training and instructors. A wonderful peice of wisdom that this fellow shared with me was the idea of the golden nugget. Boiled down it goes like this: We all when we learn actually never really gain the total knowledge of our instructors. It's honestly impossible for a number of reasons, not least of which is that we are all individuals, mentally and physically, who experience life and learn in different ways. The best teachers come to realize this and accept that they can never truly pass on the totality of what they know. Metaphorically the master has this huge nugget of wisdom and teachings that they carry with them, which they have refined through practice and experience. But it's their nugget. They can't give it away to their students. But... they can, if they are both good teachers and yes, lucky to have the right student, chip off a small piece of their nugget and gift that to the novice under their tutelage. Once gifted the novice's job is to polish that piece. The polishing is the refinement, the practice and the accumulated wisdom one gets traveling through life. As the novice continues their journey they continue to polish this nugget and as they do so the nugget grows and grows. Eventually that piece given to them by their master becomes their own, shaded by their own lives and experiences. It becomes a nugget as large or hopefully even larger than those that taught them... But just like their master could not give away their golden nugget away completley so too with the novice who has become the master. When it comes time to pass on what they have learned, it's not possible to give the student everything... Once again, at best the new master can chip off a small piece and hope that the next student has the wherewithal to polish that piece so that it too grows and is large enough, and of a quality to be worth passing on to the next person and so on.

Rey has learned a lot about the Force, about herself and about what has come before her since we met her in TFA. Focusing on what techniques she knows or what she can benefit even from the the Jedi texts is missing the point I think. To quote the great Bruce Lee:

[YT]4O9o4CKTGzQ[/YT]

"It's like a finger pointing at the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

What Luke and her experiences in TLJ have given Rey is the ability to see the heavenly glory and not the finger.

That is my take.

Life... It starts in weakness and dependency and it ends in weakness and dependency.
Glean whatever wisdom you can from that.

k5OWvHG.jpg

I like the gold repair one a lot. :)

I’m from one county over from the awful school shooting that happened in Kentucky today. No one I know was hurt, but considering I’m a Dad, I just want to say that no matter what is going on in life, let those you love know it. You never know what is coming tomorrow. When that next hug could be the last one.

Pretty generic advice I guess but it’s been hard to not think about it a little bit.

I’m from one county over from the awful school shooting that happened in Kentucky today. No one I know was hurt, but considering I’m a Dad, I just want to say that no matter what is going on in life, let those you love know it. You never know what is coming tomorrow. When that next hug could be the last one.

Pretty generic advice I guess but it’s been hard to not think about it a little bit.

Generic but easily forgotten. Always good to have a reminder. Unless we have had some kind of big disagreement, and that was thankfully rare, I always end my phone convos and farewells with family especially my grandmother, mother and my late father with the words "I love you".

That may not be something everyone can honestly do. Parent/offspring relationships can be less than ideal. A person may not have that with their family, but for myself I don't want to have huge regrets after someone has passed.

As always... Check my sig for my go to advice for Hypesters. ;)

qjPO0Ui.jpg

o2P0MEG.jpg

These next two are kinda linked in my mind.

v9uMvTJ.jpg

xiBiZ0q.jpg

Last edited:
^ That's too much wisdom in one post.

I need this thread. Thank you, KRYPTON, for creating it. Can’t explain right now how much it’s helping with the improvement of my mental and emotional health - if only for a little while. Thank you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"