BvS The Wonder Woman Costume Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because everything Superman wears is second hand.:oldrazz:

Damn those Kents with there corn fed ways and the Els for being not sending more clothes with him. I mean it's one thing they drop a baby on someone's field in the middle of nowhere but to not even give the kid an overnight bag with some extra clothes. Really... I mean I know your planet was about to implode but how long would it have taken to pack some extra diaper and overalls... the nerve.:o
Didn't they also have a pre and post patriotic Wonder Woman out fit.
Does not know what that means exactly.

She had the costume and three different regular "American" outfits too. One with the full on Diana Prince hipster glasses and everything.

Now I need to see Bruce berate Clark for his fashion choices.

"Kent... What's with the hipster glasses?"

Damn those Kents with there corn fed ways and the Els for being not sending more clothes with him. I mean it's one thing they drop a baby on someone's field in the middle of nowhere but to not even give the kid an overnight bag with some extra clothes. Really... I mean I know your planet was about to implode but how long would it have taken to pack some extra diaper and overalls... the nerve.:o

I mean MOS superman clothes are from the scout ship. I don't think they had enough time to send him clothes because the spaceship he was sent in didn't have the room. Plus it wouldn't mater because who would put them on him as a baby. On top of that he would out grow out of any cloth thy would have tried to send with him within a year. I think Jor-El was just winging it and trying to do things as fasts possible because he believe the world would blow up at any minute. He know nothing could hurt Kal on the planet. So he wouldn't to worried about him having no clothes for a while.
Does not know what that means exactly.

She had the costume and three different regular "American" outfits too. One with the full on Diana Prince hipster glasses and everything.
I mean in that movie. I haven't seen the movie in a while but didn't they have a scene that showed the Wonder Woman uniform before they refashioned it to look like the American flag on Steve Trevor's uniform.
1V4hjVg.jpg

Last edited:
I was being an ass the first quote i wasn't being serious. And I don’t believe they ever had another costume just the same thing she wore the whole movie.

No, in the DTV they show Diana in her day to day wear (what she has on during the staff fight with Artemis) her helmeted guard duty armor that she wears for the contest, the classic out fit, and her western/American civvies, one when they go out drinking and one at the end with her "hipster" glasses.

So you see my peeps... The woman is a bit of a clothes horse. :oldrazz: :word: :woot:

About the Wonder Woman animated film... the costume of the amazons were based on roman sources because they couldn't find enough greek ones.

Problem is that some people still hold onto the idea that Wonder Woman should be sexualized, and as such, her costume should be designed with that in mind. I personally think that sells her short, seeing as how I can't take a busty woman wearing armor that covers 10-20% of her body, while male superheroes wear full-bodied armor, or suits.

I call that bollocks. First of all, no one is advocating that WW wears a chainmail bikini a la Red Sonya. And if its good enough for an ancient greek male warrior then it is good enough for WW. It's exactly that idea that WW needs to be somehow more like a Superhero that has been problematic for her comic book careeer and why her stories have been so mediocre for a long time. If you delude the core concept you get a character without focus and purpose. That's why WW works best when she's firmly tied to ancient greek Mythology. Otherwise she's got nothing going for her that makes her unique among the rest of the DCU.

Last edited:
I hate that too. It saddens me because sometimes that thinking affects how she's written too. A female character that is used as a sex object doesn't interest me. I don't want to see that. As a result, I avoid some WW stories. And that sucks. I want to like the main female superhero.

Imagine if the logic used for females was applied to the male costumes:

The satire is kinda cute but ultimately stupid considering that there a differences between what is considered sexualized imagery when it comes to a male and a female. Male Superheroes in female cloth don't look sexualized they just look feminized/ drag queen like.

conan_10.jpg

A far more apt comparison would be to put every male super hero in swiming trunks furry brief like Conan here or a loincloth, showing off towering muscles, constantly flexing. That's true male sexual objectification. Therefore, next time when someone does Tarzan we have to put him into an all out black ops suit. God forbid he shows some skin and runs around in a loincloth, might be sexual objectification after all.

And you know what. What the hell is it with all the bullcrap with those body types anyway. I mean look at them, towering muscles all roided up. Women with slim figures and large breasts? That is so insulting to people without such a body and presents such a distorted image. I therefore demand WW to look like this for this movie.

fatwonderwoman.png

Last edited:
Problem is that some people still hold onto the idea that Wonder Woman should be sexualized, and as such, her costume should be designed with that in mind. I personally think that sells her short, seeing as how I can't take a busty woman wearing armor that covers 10-20% of her body, while male superheroes wear full-bodied armor, or suits.

48Xntme.jpg

You're wrong on a number of points, here.

Firstly, WW's use of "armour" is incidental, if it occurs at all. I seem to recall that you are somewhat preoccupied with the notion that superheroes should be encased in armour- hence your support for the Batman design in the computer game referenced by your username. WW, however, is invulnerable, and her costume is just that- a costume. So the image you attached is irrelevant: this is not a matter of reducing the coverage of protective armour for the sake of meagre titillation.

Secondly, the objection to pants (from me at least) has nothing to do with them being unattractive. In most depictions of WW wearing pants they are in fact skin-tight leggings, which have a tendency to be as if not more revealing than a battle skirt or even her classic trunks. I would take WW wearing ankle-length “toga” over her wearing skin-tight pants. The black pants are, however, a complete departure from the Hellenic/mythic themes that make the character interesting. They are also decidedly “modern” in appearance and, in my opinion, boring and uninspired.

That poster is actually an excellent example of why Wonder Woman wearing pants and being less sexualized are not necessarily related. Skintight pants like in the New 52 costume are almost as easily sexualized as the panties, especially with a guy like Zack Snyder behind the camera.

I still really think the best way to update the classic Wonder Woman costume is play up the Classical elements. I mean they explained Superman's suit and why he wears it pretty effectively by making it traditional Kryptonian attire. Why should Wonder Woman be any different? Moreover, why would she change what she wears to fit in? Should not Diana be proud of who she is? Is blending in not what her secret identity is for?

I am not saying that the classic Wonder Woman costume is historically accurate or that it should be made into something historical accurate. What I am saying is that the best way to adapt and modernize the traditional costume is to use Classical styling as a theme or design goal. Replace the panties with a battleskirt. After all, Wonder Woman did wear a skirt originally. As well, it is more modest that either the panties or tight pants and gives Wonder Woman a more unique costume. Superman is already wearing tights.

In addition. the red and gold top can be rehabilitated into some sort of bronze-studded leather armor. (See the cuirass worn by Ciaran Hinds on Rome for a good starting place. It is burgundy leather with a bronze eagle on the chest.) Naturally, they should keep the neckline higher and avoid cleavage, but there is something about Wonder Woman having bare shoulders. It just looks right for some reason.

Completely agree with this.

I call that bollocks. First of all, no one is advocating that WW wears a chainmail bikini a la Red Sonya. And if its good enough for an ancient greek male warrior then it is good enough for WW. It's exactly that idea that WW needs to be somehow more like a Superhero that has been problematic for her comic book careeer and why her stories have been so mediocre for a long time. If you delude the core concept you get a character without focus and purpose. That's why WW works best when she's firmly tied to ancient greek Mythology. Otherwise she's got nothing going for her that makes her unique among the rest of the DCU.

You put it rather strongly, but yes.

Amazons have been depicted as wearing pants.

170px-Amazon_trousers_BM_VaseB673.jpg

regwec though she is invulnerable she is not bullet proof. Why would she need the bracers if not? It is an ability that has been inconsistent at best.

The stories can be tied to her myth origins...her costumes does not need to.

The satire is kinda cute but ultimately stupid considering that there a differences between what is considered sexualized imagery when it comes to a male and a female. Male Superheroes in female cloth don't look sexualized they just look feminized/ drag queen like.

conan_10.jpg

A far more apt comparison would be to put every male super hero in swiming trunks furry brief like Conan here or a loincloth, showing off towering muscles, constantly flexing. That's true male sexual objectification. Therefore, next time when someone does Tarzan we have to put him into an all out black ops suit. God forbid he shows some skin and runs around in a loincloth, might be sexual objectification after all.

And you know what. What the hell is it with all the bullcrap with those body types anyway. I mean look at them, towering muscles all roided up. Women with slim figures and large breasts? That is so insulting to people without such a body and presents such a distorted image. I therefore demand WW to look like this for this movie.

fatwonderwoman.png
Ah yes, the whole "if you want WW's costume changed even a little, then you're prudes that don't respect the female body." The most strawman of strawman arguments. Tarzan wears what he does because he grew up in the jungle and was raised by apes, and he still lives in the jungle with said apes and has infrequent contact with the outside world, so it makes sense. Why would a woman who comes from an ancient society of female warriors that have been isolated from the outside world for millennia wear a costume that looks almost exactly like a modern-day swimsuit? I keep asking this question and STILL no one has been able to answer it convincingly. Why is it that ALL of the other Amazons wear Greco-Roman style armor and costumes, but WW is the ONLY one wearing a swimsuit? It gets particularly ridiculous when all of the Amazons are assembled for battle and WW sticks out like a sore thumb, and not in a good way.

Jepp, on one measly Vase and yet on so much more painitngs and sculptures and what have you they have been depicted as wearing hoplite like armor or a toga like draping.

Firstly, WW's use of "armour" is incidental, if it occurs at all. I seem to recall that you are somewhat preoccupied with the notion that superheroes should be encased in armour- hence your support for the Batman design in the computer game referenced by your username. WW, however, is invulnerable, and her costume is just that- a costume. So the image you attached is irrelevant: this is not a matter of reducing the coverage of protective armour for the sake of meagre titillation.

Secondly, the objection to pants (from me at least) has nothing to do with them being unattractive. In most depictions of WW wearing pants they are in fact skin-tight leggings, which have a tendency to be as if not more revealing than a battle skirt or even her classic trunks. I would take WW wearing ankle-length “toga” over her wearing skin-tight pants. The black pants are, however, a complete departure from the Hellenic/mythic themes that make the character interesting. They are also decidedly “modern” in appearance and, in my opinion, boring and uninspired.

Completely agree with this.

You put it rather strongly, but yes.

Is this REALLY much of an improvement over the shorts?
New_Wonder_Woman_Back.jpg

tumblr_inline_ml9alwcCbI1qz4rgp.png

Wonderskirt FTW!

tumblr_l4xcfcuOvv1qbvuduo1_1280.jpg

We may or may not see where it comes from, but the costume doesn't have to be explained to other people in the movie universe, going off MOS. Clark turns up at the farmhouse and Ma Kent just nonchalantly says "nice suit son."

Multiple. Outfits.

Because she is both a Royal Princess and because she may be acting as she has in comics for decades as an ambassador, an official representative of her people and their Queen.

Because she has had many a radical change of looks over the years and it would be cool to see it. (Yeah, I used "coolness" as a reason. Bite me.)

Because it would be practical an make WW both more unique and grounded in comparison to her to male counterparts. (BTW, how many different get ups have we already seen Hemmsworth's THOR in? But the Princess of the Amazons would only have ONE set of armor/clothing?)

Because WW in varied clothing/costume makes financial sense. Multiple varients of everything under the sun merchandizing wise.

Because the Diana Prince ID has not been a particularly big part of the mythos for close to 3 decades so if that holds true here then every moment she has on screen will be her as WW. Easier to have Gal in context appropriate clothing than to always be in costume.

Lastly... If I told you a character was the only child of a powerful sovreign and that they were next in line to the throne themselves but then I said "she has only one set of clothes" wouldn't most find that odd?

I meant to follow up on this before.

In Greek myth, the Amazons were a barbarian people (breast mutilation and all that being sure signs of barbarity). The fact that the vase gives the Amazon trousers- as per the Scythians, Thracians and Persians- is because, classically, they were seen as the costume of a barbarian.

The DCU turned that on its head by appropriating the Hellenic culture to the Amazons. DC’s Amazons have Greek gods, architecture, weapons, costumes etc. Effectively, they are a magical version of the Greeks/Macedonians, but without y chromosomes.

So, a Greek depiction of an Amazon is not in itself a good counter to the evidently Hellenic culture of the DCU’s amazons.

regwec though she is invulnerable she is not bullet proof. Why would she need the bracers if not? It is an ability that has been inconsistent at best.
Yes, but her natural resilience and her bracers are her defenses. The costume itself is not, so the comparison with fantasy-esque "bikini chainmail" was invalid.

lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

If you're going to try and link my forum name to my post, at least do a better job in paying attention to detail. For one, the In and Justice are capitalized, implying that they are not part of a compound word, like say...Injustice. In fact, the Injustice game has nothing to do with my name. My name is actually referencing a video game quote in which it states, "In justice we trust." Now obviously that would be too long for the requirement, so I figured InJustice would be nice enough. Secondly, I think the Batman suit in Injustice is absolutely horrendous, ranging from the disgusting cowl design, to the the subpar and somewhat bulky armor design (I'd prefer the Arkham suit over Injustice any day, although that does sound a bit hypocritical given Arkham's bulky size).

Anyways, back on track. I should preface, when I brought up that image, it was mainly to show how ridiculous the one piece suit is in praticality. My issue is with people who think the one-piece works well.

Just because Wonder Woman is invulnerable, it doesn't mean that she cannot wear a costume that isn't revealing (in the sense of accentuating her "goods"). Superman is invulnerable and he can get away with wearing a suit. I'm not saying that WW's costume shouldn't be unique to her identity, but to expect a one piece costume is to sell her character short (note: I have no problem with the battle skirt if you had read my post about Donna Troy's costume). I'd personally find it hard to take her seriously when she's essentially become TNA with legs, while male superheroes continually look badass. And I'm sure male audience members will enjoy the visual aspect of her character more so than the substance behind it. You can have Wonder Woman wearing armor (aka Donna Troy's costume) to signify Theymscira's rich history that sets her apart from simple human beings. A costume doesn't have to be just "that," you can do more with it. And for comparison's sake, Superman's costume wasn't just "that," it was a signifier for Kal-El's family.

Maybe you dislike pants for different reasons, but every time I objected to the one piece costume (because I think it's silly and fails to translate well on live-action), and suggested pants, I was faced with resistance saying that it was unattractive and that the one-piece is the more iconic costume. THeir focus was simply on sex appeal and the visuals, rather than legitimizing and making Diana's character badass. We can agree on something though, I'd want Diana to have a myriad of costumes, her battle suit, toga etc., to reference the mythical features that makes her character awesome. And you having critiqued pants in that way, I can at least understand the downside of pants rather than from people who's thinking with their other head.

Ah yes, the whole "if you want WW's costume changed even a little, then you're prudes that don't respect the female body." The most strawman of strawman arguments.

Oh you mean like the straw man argument of "ZOMG we see bare legs and therefore, sexism!" Sorry but degrees of nudity do not automatically equal sexism, no matter though how much modern feminists might try to convince people and I say that as a gay dude who doesn't particularly care about the female body outside of its aesthetic value

But to add a bit of fuel to the fire. In my personal view, if you want to cover-up WW because of "OMG da Sexisms" then I'd say, you got a positively Victorian mind set.

Tarzan wears what he does because he grew up in the jungle and was raised by apes, and he still lives in the jungle with said apes and has infrequent contact with the outside world, so it makes sense.
Talking about straw men, stop constructing one. My initial post was a snide little side jab at the utterly one-sided idea of what constitutes sexual objectification. It wasn't about wanting WW in her comic costume. If you wanna throw darts, make sure you hit the dart board and not the wall.

Why would a woman who comes from an ancient society of female warriors that have been isolated from the outside world for millennia wear a costume that looks almost exactly like a modern-day swimsuit? I keep asking this question and STILL no one has been able to answer it convincingly. Why is it that ALL of the other Amazons wear Greco-Roman style armour and costumes, but WW is the ONLY one wearing a swimsuit? It gets particularly ridiculous when all of the Amazons are assembled for battle and WW sticks out like a sore thumb, and not in a good way.
I don't know, how about you ask someone who wants her running around in her comic costume. I could give ya a comedic explanation for an in-story reason, though:

“The Amazons rescue an unconscious Steve Trevor from his downed plane and find a "Lad's Mag" in the remains. It's a “Bathing Beauties” edition and since they are unfamiliar with the world outside, they perceive this as a shocking display of how women have to dress in the lands of these male savages and how it cannot be helped, If Diana wants to gain the trust of these brutes she needs to "blends in" and for the greater good has to endure such ridiculous attire. Ah yes, the humiliation one has to go through to save the world.” :p

Oh and as for what I would want the costume to be like. I'm still playing around with designs in my head but this here below is a pretty good idea of where I would go. Yeah I know, it's Donna but so what? The look's great. Give it a more traditional colour palette and it would be almost perfect. Though I would redesign the skirt a bit.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/EoA/donnatroydesktop.jpg

I kind of like the way the "skirt" is done here. Just make it two segments instead of three and perhaps add a layer of blue scale maille to it...and two stars instead of many, like on the nu52 suit or on Byrne's version.

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1365/11/1365110141556.jpg

Last edited:
If you're going to try and link my forum name to my post, at least do a better job in paying attention to detail. For one, the In and Justice are capitalized, implying that they are not part of a compound word, like say...Injustice. In fact, the Injustice game has nothing to do with my name. My name is actually referencing a video game quote in which it states, "In justice we trust." Now obviously that would be too long for the requirement, so I figured InJustice would be nice enough. Secondly, I think the Batman suit in Injustice is absolutely horrendous, ranging from the disgusting cowl design, to the the subpar and somewhat bulky armor design (I'd prefer the Arkham suit over Injustice any day, although that does sound a bit hypocritical given Arkham's bulky size).

Okay, I mixed you up with someone else.

Anyways, back on track. I should preface, when I brought up that image, it was mainly to show how ridiculous the one piece suit is in praticality. My issue is with people who think the one-piece works well.

Just because Wonder Woman is invulnerable, it doesn't mean that she cannot wear a costume that isn't revealing (in the sense of accentuating her "goods"). Superman is invulnerable and he can get away with wearing a suit. I'm not saying that WW's costume shouldn't be unique to her identity, but to expect a one piece costume is to sell her character short (note: I have no problem with the battle skirt if you had read my post about Donna Troy's costume). I'd personally find it hard to take her seriously when she's essentially become TNA with legs, while male superheroes continually look badass. And I'm sure male audience members will enjoy the visual aspect of her character more so than the substance behind it. You can have Wonder Woman wearing armor (aka Donna Troy's costume) to signify Theymscira's rich history that sets her apart from simple human beings. A costume doesn't have to be just "that," you can do more with it. And for comparison's sake, Superman's costume wasn't just "that," it was a signifier for Kal-El's family.

Maybe you dislike pants for different reasons, but every time I objected to the one piece costume (because I think it's silly and fails to translate well on live-action), and suggested pants, I was faced with resistance saying that it was unattractive and that the one-piece is the more iconic costume. THeir focus was simply on sex appeal and the visuals, rather than legitimizing and making Diana's character badass. We can agree on something though, I'd want Diana to have a myriad of costumes, her battle suit, toga etc., to reference the mythical features that makes her character awesome. And you having critiqued pants in that way, I can at least understand the downside of pants rather than from people who's thinking with their other head.

Okay. :up: Your references to armour (and the caricature of the child Elf poledancer) threw me off course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"