The Worst President in History?

Bush is a mediocre president with lots of good luck and an evil thinking(or an evil cabinet)

Grant, Carter, Andrew Johnson and maybe Nixon.

I'm forgetting someone, tho

edit: Harrison too

Matt said:
NO! THERE WEREN'T MANY IN CUYAHOGA...do research. then we'll talk

You are arguing the word "many" Tell me, how many is "many"? :rolleyes:

Corinthian™ said:
Bush is a mediocre president with lots of good luck and an evil thinking(or an evil cabinet)

Grant, Carter, Andrew Johnson and maybe Nixon.

I'm forgetting someone, tho
Don't you mean Andrew Jackson???

ShadowBoxing said:
Don't you mean Andrew Jackson???
the vice president of Abe Lincoln?

ooh.. and add Emperor Jackson to the list.. he was baaad to the bone

ShadowBoxing said:
Oh snap I called it.

my statement was accurate, he is playing semantics by saying "many didnt blame him" is false...which is obviously wrong.

And SB we all know you just troll around behind me saying the same things on the opposite side of me, being the cheerleader you wish you could be.

Corinthian™ said:
the vice president of Abe Lincoln?

ooh.. and add Emperor Jackson to the list.. he was baaad to the bone
No this guy

Aside from opposing the Bank of the United States (upgrade:up: ) he also introduced the Indian Removal Act (although its not as bad as it sounds...it just said we could buy them out) and was a noted war criminal for what he did to the Seminol Indians (downgrade:down )

Admiral_N8 said:
my statement was accurate, he is playing semantics by saying "many didnt blame him" is false...which is obviously wrong.

And SB we all know you just troll around behind me saying the same things on the opposite side of me, being the cheerleader you wish you could be.
I'm a troll, I haven't even been talking to you. In fact a page back I decided to start a nice dicussion about LBJ (which was ignored). You're probably among the worst trolls on this site...I would really put your money where your mouth is, poll this site see if they think I am a troll.

ShadowBoxing said:
No this guy

Aside from opposing the Bank of the United States (upgrade:up: ) he also introduced the Indian Removal Act (although its not as bad as it sounds...it just said we could buy them out) and was a noted war criminal for what he did to the Seminol Indians (downgrade:down )
emperor Jackson. Or King Jackson

he was pretty much hated by everyone non-jacksonian

And I'm for a Bank of the United states and for low tariffs!

and I meant Andrew Johnson

ShadowBoxing said:
I'm a troll, I haven't even been talking to you. In fact a page back I decided to start a nice dicussion about LBJ (which was ignored). You're probably among the worst trolls on this site...I would really put your money where your mouth is, poll this site see if they think I am a troll.

How am I a troll? I just say what I think, and people respond back to me....a lot more than 1...so I keep answering.

Its just that I stand up for Bush, and get flamed like none other.

ITs cute though.

KingOfDreams said:
What's wrong with having a national bank?
He said it was
the Bank needed to be abolished because:
  • it was unconstitutional :up:
  • it concentrated an excessive amount of the nation's financial strength into one single institution :up:
  • it exposed the government to control by "foreign interests"
  • it exercised too much control over members of the Congress :up:
  • it favored Northeastern states over Southern and Western (now Mid-western) states
  • Jackson had a strong personal and political dislike for the Bank's president....okay that was a bad reason

Admiral_N8 said:
How am I a troll? I just say what I think, and people respond back to me....a lot more than 1...so I keep answering.

ITs cute though.
You derail threads to argue semantics in order to make yourself seem right 100% of the time when in fact it just makes you seem like a jacka$$.

Admiral_N8 said:

Well, you bring it upon yourself. Stop playing the victim.

ShadowBoxing said:
He said it was
  • it concentrated an excessive amount of the nation's financial strength into one single institution :up:
  • it favored Northeastern states over Southern and Western (now Mid-western) states
  • Jackson had a strong personal and political dislike for the Bank's president....okay that was a bad reason

Okay, most of those reasons are valid. But I still think the idea of a national bank in general is a good one.

ShadowBoxing said:
He said it was
- the unconstitutional thing is up for debate tho
- financial strenght concentrated is good. Less hassle and more efficience
- I don't get the thrid one
- Companies exercise too much control over members of congress
- Southerners suck
- Jackson's an a-hole

ShadowBoxing said:
You derail threads to argue semantics in order to make yourself seem right 100% of the time when in fact it just makes you seem like a jacka$$.

Derail? you really should start reading what poeple say to me out of the blue.

Semantics? No, thats other people...the people who say "US Citizens arent the ones making laws"....saying Congressman are citizens, but not like only citizens at the time :rolleyes:

Corinthian™ said:
- the unconstitutional thing is up for debate tho
- financial strenght concentrated is good. Less hassle and more efficience
- I don't get the thrid one
- Companies exercise too much control over members of congress
- Southerners suck
- Jackson's an a-hole
Well keep in mind companies did not exercise much control over congress back then simply because the economy and frankly Washington itself was a lot different back then, so you cannot apply a modern setting to it.

Financial strength may be good, but for a continent such as America where even then the demographic make-up was wide spread you do not want one central bank controlling the money.

The constitutionality was decided in McCulloch v Maryland
here is a court case overview
http://www.superherohype.com/forums/Constitutional Issues

The case centered on Article IV's National Supremacy Clause and the Necessary and Proper Clause, Article I, Section 8. Was the Bank of the United States a “necessary and proper” exercise of powers granted by the Constitution or was the bank unconstitutional? Did the National Supremacy Clause prohibit State taxes on federal activities or was the Maryland tax law constitutional? Was the Maryland tax on only federally chartered banks a discriminatory action, antagonistic to the federal system?

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/Arguments

For McCulloch: The creation of a national bank had been fully debated in Congress as a means for conducting the financial operations of the nation, and Congress had deemed its establishment “necessary and proper.” Moreover, minute details of national operations cannot be specified in a document like the Constitution, which provides only a framework. As such, many legitimate powers of government are implied by, rather than stated, in the Constitution. The bank was a legitimate federal function with which no State may interfere. The Maryland tax on the national bank, therefore, was unconstitutional.

For Maryland: As a sovereign State, Maryland was vested by its people with all authority to regulate business and to tax institutions inside its borders. The regulation of banks was long accepted as a necessary means to prevent financial abuses. Since the Federal Government had created a number of statutes to regulate State banks, what should prevent Maryland from regulating federal banks? Furthermore, since no authority to charter a federal bank is included in the Constitution, the Bank of the United States was, the State argued, unconstitutional.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/Decision and Rationale

Speaking for a unanimous (7-0) Court, Chief Justice Marshall rejected the Maryland argument. The decision centered on Maryland's claim that because the Constitution was ratified by State conventions, the States were sovereign. Marshall refuted this claim, saying that the Constitution was the instrument of the people, not the States. Therefore, the Court asserted the supremacy of the Federal Constitution over the States. The Court also emphasized the importance of national supremacy. Marshall stated that “…the Government of the Union, though limited in its powers, is supreme within its sphere of action….”

The Court also rejected Maryland's argument that the Constitution did not explicitly allow for a national bank. Marshall's argument rested on this simple point: “…we must never forget that it is a constitution we are expounding.” In other words, the Constitution was meant to be an outline of basic ideas, easily understood by the general public, and open to interpretation. Marshall went on to argue that while the powers of government are limited, the “necessary and proper” clause was meant to enlarge the ability of Congress to carry out its enumerated powers. He wrote: “Let the end be legitimate, let it be within the scope of the constitution, and all means which are appropriate, which are plainly adapted to that end, which are not prohibited, but consist with the letter and spirit of the constitution, are constitutional…”

Turning to Maryland's action in imposing the tax, he observed that “…the power to tax involves the power to destroy…,” and on that basis, the Court ruled that Maryland did not have the power to destroy a duly constituted institution of the Federal Government.

I actually like old court cases (except those dealling with social issues) they had some interesting views on Government power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"