Superman Returns The Writers of Superman Returns DID Read the Comicbooks!

There were also reports very early on of Harris and Dougherty going through crates of old comics on the WB lot.

It seems to me, although Brandon read Birthright and they liked Superman for all seasons, that Singer and co. derived more from the pre-donner film comics and the Donner film itself.

I think Singer's approach makes a lot of sense. Remember Donner too didn't base STM solely on the comics. A straight interpretation from comics to film doesn't work -- the mediums differ in some major ways. Even Raimi has said on occasion that while staying true to the comics is important, not everything can be that way. Come on, Spider-man is serious, but there are plenty of moments in those movies where you can point and say, 'wow, those lines sound awful or, man, that looks campy'.

Singer admits he's not into the Superman comics, and that doesn't bother me that much. In fact, while the Reign of Superman/Doomsday stories were great, I was hardly a fan of the earlier scripts that tried to incorporate them on-screen. The scenario just sounded whacky, and frankly, dumb.

The writers read 4 Seasons, and that IMO captures quite a bit of what I'd like to see in this movie. This is about Superman/Clark Kent, and adding a genuine human character -- which is lost in a lot of S-man books because I think the comics tend to focus on Superman the invulnerable boy scout rather than Superman the emotionally tired/struggling character. In comics, Superman is all about truth, justice, blah blah -- onscreen, I want far more than that.

That's why Donner's movies were so awesome. It took the basic story of Superman and translated them into the real world -- where he faced the real situations and it didn't feel contrived. I've said it SO many times before, but Singer is not so much imitating Donner as they both share the same philosophy. Had Singer NOT referenced Donner and made this movie, I honestly don't think it would be too different than it is now.

Singer is all about character driven stories. This is why a recent critic of X3 said that had Singer directed it, he wouldn't have added all those characters because there was no development. Singer's less on action, more on story -- and that is his style, which works for me. Now, of course, it's not for everyone, but Singer's proven he can do action and character together quite well (X2), so I'm confident we'll get an emotional and real story about Superman.

It may not be based on the series of S-man books that are out -- but books mentioned here like 4 Seasons, Birthright, Identity -- I think we're going to see a movie much closer to these approaches.

romeogbs19 said:
I think Singer's approach makes a lot of sense. Remember Donner too didn't base STM solely on the comics. A straight interpretation from comics to film doesn't work -- the mediums differ in some major ways. Even Raimi has said on occasion that while staying true to the comics is important, not everything can be that way. Come on, Spider-man is serious, but there are plenty of moments in those movies where you can point and say, 'wow, those lines sound awful or, man, that looks campy'.

Singer admits he's not into the Superman comics, and that doesn't bother me that much. In fact, while the Reign of Superman/Doomsday stories were great, I was hardly a fan of the earlier scripts that tried to incorporate them on-screen. The scenario just sounded whacky, and frankly, dumb.

The writers read 4 Seasons, and that IMO captures quite a bit of what I'd like to see in this movie. This is about Superman/Clark Kent, and adding a genuine human character -- which is lost in a lot of S-man books because I think the comics tend to focus on Superman the invulnerable boy scout rather than Superman the emotionally tired/struggling character. In comics, Superman is all about truth, justice, blah blah -- onscreen, I want far more than that.

That's why Donner's movies were so awesome. It took the basic story of Superman and translated them into the real world -- where he faced the real situations and it didn't feel contrived. I've said it SO many times before, but Singer is not so much imitating Donner as they both share the same philosophy. Had Singer NOT referenced Donner and made this movie, I honestly don't think it would be too different than it is now.

Singer is all about character driven stories. This is why a recent critic of X3 said that had Singer directed it, he wouldn't have added all those characters because there was no development. Singer's less on action, more on story -- and that is his style, which works for me. Now, of course, it's not for everyone, but Singer's proven he can do action and character together quite well (X2), so I'm confident we'll get an emotional and real story about Superman.

It may not be based on the series of S-man books that are out -- but books mentioned here like 4 Seasons, Birthright, Identity -- I think we're going to see a movie much closer to these approaches.

:up: :supes:

I only read Birthright recently... and I really liked Lex's scheme to tarnish Superman's image. I think it would've fit well with Superman returning and then not being trusted or immediately embraced by humanity.

It would've been an interesting contrast to his first appearance, where everyone wanted "a piece of him" and "were in love with him".

Why ripoff stories that were already done in the comics? forget that.

Kane said:
Why ripoff stories that were already done in the comics? forget that.

You're right. But I meant what if part of Lex's plan was to make the people hate Superman as well?

Btw, has anything like NK been in the comics before? Just wondering...

It's not the idea of ripping off storylines from comics, but the research done. If they include Brainaic, I want them to do research: Watch the 90s cartoon, read TPBs. I mean, I would rather have them do that than to base Brainaic from the Superfriends, you know?

Octoberist said:
It's not the idea of ripping off storylines from comics, but the research done. If they include Brainaic, I want them to do research: Watch the 90s cartoon, read TPBs. I mean, I would rather have them do that than to base Brainaic from the Superfriends, you know?

Agreed.

Doesn't have to be a rip off......Octoberist is right.

Batman Begins is an example of how taking tones, characterizations, drives, and even tossing in some visual inspiration and even a few comic scenes can all add to the film. The Long Halloween, Batman Year One, Batman the man who falls.......they were a part of what went into Batman Begins...and it's not ripping off anything from those.

It's good to hear they did some homework. Good to hear.

Kane said:
It would be asinine for fans on this board to assume they didnt.

You always say to "Trust Singer, and believe what he says"...hows this for you?

"I don't think I've ever read a Superman comic"
---Bryan Singer

Matt said:
You always say to "Trust Singer, and believe what he says"...hows this for you?

"I don't think I've ever read a Superman comic"
---Bryan Singer

But Dougherty and Harris as I know read comics and they are screenwriters. So the whole movie will also include parts from comics in storylines.

Read the whole thread! And stop posts stupid posts! :mad:

Cinemaman said:
But Dougherty and Harris as I know read comics and they are screenwriters. So the whole movie will also include parts from comics in storylines.

Read the whole thread! And stop posts stupid posts! :mad:

I'm just quoting Bryan Singer, what is stupid about that? He is the director, it is his "vision" (or should I say Richard Donner's vision?), he has final call.

Matt said:
I'm just quoting Bryan Singer, what is stupid about that? He is the director, it is his "vision" (or should I say Richard Donner's vision?), he has final call.

We were discussing it in this thread.

Besides, his vissual style is dark. So you can call all names to just bash SR.

I need to sleep, that is why I have no interest to argue with such person as you, who dont know anything about this movie :o

Singer's never read a Superman comic.....??

That can't be true.

Cinemaman said:
We were discussing it in this thread.

Besides, his vissual style is dark. So you can call all names to just bash SR.

I need to sleep, that is why I have no interest to argue with such person as you, who dont know anything about this movie :o

Says the box office expert who has been wrong on every prediction he has made so far.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Singer's never read a Superman comic.....??

That can't be true.

He said that quote.

I`m very pleased to hear they read Superman for all seasons. The Smallville scenes are defintely going to show this.

I'm sorry Matt.....but, have got a link? It's not that I don't believe you....it's just....that seems kind of like a major thing to me.

He's actually writing an upcoming story for ULTIMATE X-MEN.....so, he'll be the scribe on a comic book. Pretty cool.

SpiderDaniel said:
I`m very pleased to hear they read Superman for all seasons. The Smallville scenes are defintely going to show this.

Probably not. 95 % of the Smallville scenes in For All Seasons involved either Pa Kent or Lana. If I'm not mistaken, neither are in the film.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I'm sorry Matt.....but, have got a link? It's not that I don't believe you....it's just....that seems kind of like a major thing to me.

He's actually writing an upcoming story for ULTIMATE X-MEN.....so, he'll be the scribe on a comic book. Pretty cool.

I'll dig up a link for you. It'll take me a while though, I have to send a PM to the person who originally brought the quote to my attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"