Superman Returns Superman Returns Influences

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
TV1001_Superman-M_Waldman.jpg

The Fleischer Superman cartoons from the 40's, note the colours and the lack of an 'S' symbol on the cape. I'd argue Singer's Superman is just as much based on this version as the Reeve incarnation.

KatherineHepburn.jpg

Katherine Hepburn was a big influence on Lois Lane

nt11s.jpg

After_The_scourging.JPG

The Scourging at the Pillar was replicated with Luthor and his men beating Superman

Longinus_stabbing.jpg

After the Scourging, Jesus was stabbed in the side with the spear of Longinus or the spear of destiny. Luthor stabs Superman in the same place with a sharpened piece of Kryptonite.

superman2006-5.jpg

180px-Michelangelo_Petersdom_Pieta.JPG

When Superman Returns to earth, Martha holds him in a pose deliberately evoking that of images images of Mary and Jesus.

Annoyingly I can't find a picture of it, but the plane rescue is based heavily on a similar scene in the second episode of Suprman the Animated Series from 1996.

Remember, they're "subtle" references.

I´d say the Lois from the Fleischer cartoons is the one that resembles Bosworth the most. The cartoons also obviously influenced the look of the film, like a lot of use of low angles. Can´t forget George Reeves too, like the scene where Superman calmly walks towards the man with the machine gun. The bullet to the eye scene clearly seemed inspired by a similar scene with Hyperion from Supreme Power, a character that´s clearly based on Supes.

I believe Superman breaking the ground upon his landing at NK was based on the Fleischer cartoons.

ultimatefan said:
I´d say the Lois from the Fleischer cartoons is the one that resembles Bosworth the most. The cartoons also obviously influenced the look of the film, like a lot of use of low angles. Can´t forget George Reeves too, like the scene where Superman calmly walks towards the man with the machine gun. The bullet to the eye scene clearly seemed inspired by a similar scene with Hyperion from Supreme Power, a character that´s clearly based on Supes.

I can't post the comic page from the Supreme Power you are talking about, due to nudity, but the shot in the eye scene is eerily similar.

Showtime029 said:
I believe Superman breaking the ground upon his landing at NK was based on the Fleischer cartoons.
When does he break ground in the Fleischer cartoons?

I think the Ang Lee Hulk movie definately influenced the unconscious descent from the sky scene. They are both shot in a very similar way, though i think the way Singer did it was more atmospheric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"