they should do a Dungeons & Dragons film based on the 'toon--

The Dragon's Graveyard is an exception to the rule. In most cases, no one ever gets hurt and the adventures are fairly simplistic in nature. By "dumbing down" the show, I meant more along the lines of how they depicted the beholder in the episode Eye Of The Beholder. All of the beholder's eyes were being used pretty much the same as Hank used his bow (to lasso the six kids), when anyone who's ever played the game knowws that each of the beholder's eyes has a different power (the large central eye has an antimacic ray, one of its eyes shoots a telekenisis ray, one puts you to sleep, one turns you to stone, etc). And then they defeat the beholder by showing it a flower? Puh-leaze! I didn't even play D&D when the show was on (I didn't get into it until about 1988) and even I thought that was stupid.

Ok, in a post further on from this one, you once again expouse teh belief that the show was 'dumbed down for the kids', but this is not the case. The examples of why you think this is so seems to be because they did not do things like the game.
You also cite the 'simplistic adventures', but mate, you pick up any comic book, or even action/sh movie, and they are all fairly simplistic in nature.

Compared to other *American* cartoon shows of the day D&D is far more developed and intelligent than any of them. Yes, there are restrictions on how much violence is shown on US tv, esp in kid's shows, but that does not excuse dumbing down characterisation because they are kid's shows. Transformers, Thundercats, He-Man, Spider-man, Hulk, Spider-Woman...the characters in them don't emotionally act like real people, they stand around like planks of wood expousing platitudes and acting like robots, yeah, those toons have cool action moments, but the characterisation is a joke.

Whereas in D&D the characters argue, throw tandrums, get depressed, laugh, cry, get scared, fall out, fall in love(the love stories are actually quite touching, as opposed to being trite or shallow)...the show actually has a real melancholy vibe throughout, as the kids are caught in a depressing situation and are struggling to get through.
there is dark stuff in this show that other American cartoons shyed away from, even apart from dealing with a depressing situation, some of the creatures and monsters are horrific looking, and of a design that you would not see in a typical cartoon show, back then or on today's television shows.

Also, you were talking about the kid's not using their weapons aggresively...well, i was remembering times when Hank did in fact use in energy bow, directly striking enemies, and these times are when they are in the direst of straights , against the most horrific of monsters. So you could say, he uses only uses it point blank in extreme situations against the most dangerous of foes. Of course there were restrictions on violence for tv, but it seems like they pushed it as far as they could.

ok, here are some examples, because i feel you have been doing the show a diservice, not giving it nearly enough credit and folk who have not seen the show should not be put off by these 'dumbing down' comments.

In fact, the only other cartoon shows I can think of that had an emotional reality like D&D were European shows like Ullysess 31(which also carries a distinctly melancholic vibe due to the heroes being caught in a lonely depressing situation) and The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

'the Dragon's Graveyard' was not an exception to the rule...

in this episode, that i cited earlier, 'The Last Illusion' we see the breakdown of a father over his missing daughter, that is quite heavy going, 5.07 mins in. It is a good example of an episode that shows the show's emotional strengths and developed characterisations also:

and here is the second part of the episode:

I'm going to post up the whole of the episode 'The Girl who Dreamed Tomorrow', as it's also a good example of real emotional reactions throughout the episode amongst the kids, but will highlight some examples of what I am talking about.
Here is the first part:

and the second part, which features quite a dark sequence when the kids minds are affected by a spell in the maze at 2.30, and at the end of the episode are confronted by quite a horrific looking creature that Venger transforms into (at 6.40), who Hank shoots directly with arrows from his energy bow:

In this episode, 'Prison Without Walls', the kids are confronted by a large swamp monster, who, once again , Hank shoots directly with his energy arrows(at 9.07):

and in the second part of the episode, the kids are confronted by some quite horrific looking zombies, one of whom Hank shoots with an energy arrow:

I'll also post up the entirety of 'The Dragon's Graveyard', the darkest episode(that they almost did not get to show), where the kid's decide they have had enough of Venger scuppering their plans to get home, and decide to kill him in cold blood. Now, this is the show at it's best, and has some great moments between the characters:

Last edited:
You sound like you were a D&D geek before you saw the show. I can understand how many hardcore gamers can dislike the show. Like I said, it was "dumbed down" a bit for the kiddies. But I still maintain that it would indeed make a good live action movie.

You are right though, it will depend on how well it is made. Of course, that could be said about any movie of any genre, not just live action adaptations of beloved Saturday morning cartoons.

I was a D&D geek before I even heard of the show. I grew up with the game. I initially didn't like it because it wasn't "real" D&D, but I outgrew that. Now I don't like the concept due to my nearly all-consuming scathing dislike of the "boy/child hero" archetype.

Plus that friggin unicorn. Odin, I hate that unicorn.

Anyway, I've got my D&D movie already, complete with dwarves, elves, halflings, rangers and wizards. The only thing missing was an actual dragon, but if and when the Hobbit is made, that will be corrected.

I was a D&D geek before I even heard of the show. I grew up with the game. I initially didn't like it because it wasn't "real" D&D, but I outgrew that. Now I don't like the concept due to my nearly all-consuming scathing dislike of the "boy/child hero" archetype.

Plus that friggin unicorn. Odin, I hate that unicorn.

Anyway, I've got my D&D movie already, complete with dwarves, elves, halflings, rangers and wizards. The only thing missing was an actual dragon, but if and when the Hobbit is made, that will be corrected.

I hope you're referring to LOTR, because the actual D&D movie sucked all kinds of bad. And if you think about it, those winged beasties that the ring wraiths were riding could be described as dragons. They were just dragons that didn't breath fire. Come to think of it, I think they more closely resembled wyverns, which I believe were created exclusively for the D&D game. Which would make the LOTR movie trilogy most deffinitely a D&D movie.

If you don't like the "boy/child hero" archtype, does that mean you don't like Buffy either? Because the character of Buffy was about the same age as the kids in the D&D cartoon were when her show started. It's been a while since I've been on any of the Buffy threads, so I don't recall whether or not I've ever seen you post on there.

Wyverns are from Norse legend I believe, and yes, I meant the LotR trilogy, which were the books that inspired the fantasy additions that allowed Chainmail to become Dungeons and Dragons. (And only red and gold dragons use fire as their breath weapon in D&D. Greens have noxious gas, blues breath bolts of lightning, whites cones of frost and blacks spit acid. I don't recall all of the metallic dragons offhand, and I won't even go into the gem dragons and the miscellaneous species that fill out the Order Draco.)

And as I said, "nearly all-consuming", as there are a few examples of those archetypes that I like, such as the Buffy series (of which I'm not a huge fan), Avatar: The Last Airbender and... come to think of it, those are the only two that actually impressed me. And even then, I think Avatar would've been better (and had the love story make more sense) if the characters were a bit older.

Wyverns are from Norse legend I believe, and yes, I meant the LotR trilogy, which were the books that inspired the fantasy additions that allowed Chainmail to become Dungeons and Dragons. (And only red and gold dragons use fire as their breath weapon in D&D. Greens have noxious gas, blues breath bolts of lightning, whites cones of frost and blacks spit acid. I don't recall all of the metallic dragons offhand, and I won't even go into the gem dragons and the miscellaneous species that fill out the Order Draco.)

And as I said, "nearly all-consuming", as there are a few examples of those archetypes that I like, such as the Buffy series (of which I'm not a huge fan), Avatar: The Last Airbender and... come to think of it, those are the only two that actually impressed me. And even then, I think Avatar would've been better (and had the love story make more sense) if the characters were a bit older.

I don't recall reading anything about wyverns in Norse mythology, but it has been a long time since I've researched the subject so you might be right.

And you don't need to educate me on the different types of dragons and their corresponding breath weapons. I've been playing D&D since '88, I'm well aware of the different varieties. I've aided in slaying my fair share of the beasts.

You're right about metalic dragons each having two breath weapons. In most cases, one is lethal and one is non lethal. Gold dragons breath fire and a cloud of chlorine gas. Bronze dragons breath a bolt of lightning and a believe it's repulsion gas. I know silver dragons breath cones of cold, and I think their non lethal breath weapon is a cloud of fear gas. I think both of the copper dragon's breath weapons are non lethal. I don't remember what brass dragons have as breath weapons.

I'm not too sure about the gem dragons' breath weapons either. I've never used them as a DM, and have only encountered them once or twice as a player.

I was just reading the wiki page on the D&D cartoon for the first time in ages. now i knew Steve Gerber wrote an episode here or there, but did not recall he was a story editor, which explains the smartness of the show:

' The show's story editors were Hank Saroyan and Steve Gerber, who both contributed episodes and had a firm hand in the writing of the series.'

Steve Gerber, one of the most groundbreaking comics writers Marvel ever had, the guy who put a text essay into an issue of Howard the Duck when the artwork was not ready for the next issue. Not the kind of guy who would 'dumb down for the kiddies'.
There is a difference between writing a show intended for children, and 'dumbing down' a show intended for children, ie insulting the children's intelligence.

And as for the level of violence in the show:

'The level of violence was controversial for American children's television at the time, and the script of one episode, "The Dragon's Graveyard", was almost shelved because the characters contemplated killing their nemesis, Venger.[2] In 1985, the National Coalition on Television Violence claimed it was the most violent show on network television.'

Now, that is the NCOTV calling the show the most violent on network television, not the most violent children's show, but the most violent out of all shows, adult included.
which just goes to show that the makers were not dumbing down here either, but were pushing the violence as far as they could for an 80s tv show.

I still think that this cartoon would make a rockin' live action movie. Maybe hire the guys who wrote the script for Dungeons & Dragons II: Wrath Of The Dragon God to translate the story for live action. They actually had a clue as to what a D&D movie should be like (unlike that schmuck who wrote the script for the first D&D movie). I think they might be able to do a pretty good job. Then have the director from The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe direct, and Jerry Bruckheimer produce, and we could have a winner.

Instead, look to one of the D-n-D worlds WOTC has. I would suggest adaptions of Paul S. Kemp's Erevis Cale trilogy. Its dark fantasy featuring some staples of D-n-D: Gods, preists, wizards, orcs, etcetera and is primarily character driven.

I'd rather have a film based from Forgotten Realms.

I'd rather have a film based from Forgotten Realms.

While a Forgotten Realms movie would rock all kinds of awsome, that is a subject for a different thread. In fact, there are a few threads already started on this board about that (or very similar) subject(s). Like the Dungeons & Dragons Movie Discussion thread I started a while back (I actually listed several Forgotten Realms novels I'd like to see get made on that one). Cast A Book is another thread for that topic, as is Cast A Legend Of Drizzt Movie.

Not disagreeing with you, just keeping things on topic.

OH! A new casting suggestion for Venger! I can't belive I didn't think of suggesting this before!

Christopher Walken as Venger
christopher-walken-ne-il-mistero-di-sleepy-hollow-28277.jpg
venger.jpg

I just found out that the wife of one of my coworkers is the niece of the man who voiced Venger. Is that freakin' awsome or what?

There has been some question on this thread, as well as on another thread in the Misc. TV Shows board, as to who owns the copyright to this beloved classic. Saturday morning cartoon. As I am still of the opinion that this show would make an absolutely awsome live action movie, I have taken the liberty of doing a little research on this subject. The source of my information is Wikipedia, thus may be subject to some skepticism, but as far as I know this is how the copyright ownership works out.

In the 1980's, the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon was primarily owned by two companies. TSR Inc, who owned the rights to the D&D name and anything associated with the game, and Marvel Productions, who owned the rights to the characters written specifically for the TV show. In the mid to late 1990's, TSR went bankrupt and was bought by another company, Wizards Of The Coast, best known for the production of the trading card game Magic: The Gathering, who continues to produce materials for the D&D game. Marvel Productions has since been bought by Disney. The company who distributed the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon on DVD was BCI, but they went bankrupt and the distribution rights were then sold to Mill Creek. However I don't think they have anything to do with production, just DVD distribution.

Therefore, IMHO, in order to get this show turned into a live action movie, an animated movie, or be rebooted as a live action or animated weekly television program, you would need the approval of both Wizards Of The Coast, and Disney.

Since Marvel Productions is now owned by Disney, any live action movie based on the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon is likely going to star actors from the Disney Channel. With this in mind, I've rethought the casting for the movie.

Hank The Ranger: Cody Linley
Cody+Linley+cody_linley.jpg

Sheila The Rogue: Emily Osment
4871_emily-osment-300b101006.jpg

Eric The Cavalier: David Henrie
david.jpg

Diana The Acrobat: Shanica Knowles
bwrqg1b7gf8lrwg8.jpg

Presto The Wizard: Jimmy Bennett
Jimmybennet078088.jpg

Bobby The Barbarian: Leo Howard
leo-howard.jpg

Last edited:
Now that Disney has divested from the "Narnia" films, they may balk initially at going right back into broad fantasy, but given time, I can see this being a new "Harry Potter" franchise if handled correctly, since the harry potter films did have real peril amidst all the fantasy, this could be handled similarly in a D&D film.. they could cast very young unknowns, and get to film the movies back to back.. give all the kids some additional equipment in addition to their iconic objects/weapons, but don't make the plot dependent on their use..

Now that Disney has divested from the "Narnia" films, they may balk initially at going right back into broad fantasy, but given time, I can see this being a new "Harry Potter" franchise if handled correctly, since the harry potter films did have real peril amidst all the fantasy, this could be handled similarly in a D&D film.. they could cast very young unknowns, and get to film the movies back to back.. give all the kids some additional equipment in addition to their iconic objects/weapons, but don't make the plot dependent on their use..

True, Disney might not want to return to doing high fantasy after the luke warm reception the last couple of Narnia films have received at the box office. On the other hand, their Pirates Of The Carribean movies all did quite well at the BO, which were quite "high fantasy" in their own right.

And if handled correctly, the D&D movies (based off the Sat am cartoon) could be Disney's Harry Potter. I disagree with giving the Young Ones other enchanted items besides their iconic Weapons Of Power. And Venger's longing to take the weapons to use against Dungeon Master is a key element to the show, and should be in the movie as well. IMHO anyway.

upping the thread-- now that Disney owns Marvel, I wonder if Marvel Films may want to acquire the D&D rights again and try for this.. hmm..

I do have some ideas for a new film adaptation of the original table-top role
-playing game titled: "Dungeons & Dragons". My ideas are that the same characters from the 2000 film plus additional characters and/or characters possibly meant for the 2000 film when it was "a project", however you want to put it, along with its setting, at least a lot of, if not all of "its same storyline 'ideas'", like for instance, "the notion that 'everyone is equal'", two items capable of controlling dragons, "a scepter of 'gold dragon' 'control'" and "a rod of red dragon control", among other ideas. For example: - the ideas from this following link: - http://www.vtap.com/video/%22Dungeo...0lLSTE3NDY1M35pbjoxfnE6YnJ-Ync6V0lLSTE3NDY1Mw . I could not find what I hoped to find, but it was all I could find. Also, the storyline ideas that you can see in there, I have ideas of combining them with a few other ideas. You can name them all, the ideas that is, if you wish, but let me tell you about the ideas I have for them in another thread. For now, here are at least some of my ideas for the cast and/or the characters, including in birth name and/or extra identity: -
Charlie Tahan as Ridley Freeborn/The Hooded Riddler (More of him in another thread, if you will let me make one)
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...x=103&ty=89&page=1&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

(S.T.C.UP.W.I.A.T.W.T.C.) as Snailsilas Mortonomous/the Speedy Snail ("Snails" for short) (Same for him)

(The abréviation above, stands for "Soon to come up with ideas as to who to cast", by the way.)

(S.T.C.UP.W.I.A.T.W.T.C.) as Arlos Romus (one of the many law officers under position of "Honorable Sheriff of Sumdall) (Same for him)

(S.T.C.UP.W.I.A.T.W.T.C.) as Elwood Gutworthy (Same for him)

(S.T.C.UP.W.I.A.T.W.T.C.) as Marina Pretensa (Same for her)

(S.T.C.UP.W.I.A.T.W.T.C.) as Norda (Same for her)

Freddie Highmore as Irvius Persianus

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...XKAernsQLn7JzDAw&sqi=2&ved=0CD8Q9QEwBw&dur=37

Logan Lerman (I have been currently debating with myself about whether I should cast him, or someone else as the following character, with Logan Lerman being casted as someone else) as Captain Damodar/Lord Damodar

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...kjTuKUOOTgsQKCuN3HAw&ved=0CFAQ9QEwCQ&dur=1021

and Daniel Radcliffe as the respected-and-trusted-by-the-High-Council-of-Mages-above-all-else-but-secretly-evil-and-treacherous-villain-of-an-evil-Archmage and that villain of villains among many, Lord Profion

http://www.realbollywood.com/up_images/daniel-radcliffe4738e.jpg

As I said, more of it in another thread. If I am welcome to post another thread, of course.

As I said, more of it in another thread. If I am welcome to post another thread, of course.

Thundarr started another D&D thread that was more along the lines you are talking about, that of the previous movies, and how they could be improved by implementing ideas from the games. Here is a link to it:

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=328853

I've never played the games, and have only seen the first movie the once(thought it was absolutely awful, lol), so I have no bearings by which to comment on your ideas myself.
Welcome to the boards.

344w2o6.jpg

Since MARVEL Productions is now owned by Disney, any live action movie based on the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon is likely going to star actors from the Disney Channel. With this in mind, I've rethought the casting for the movie.

Hank The Ranger: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=339479&page=3#CODY LINLEY
Cody+Linley+cody_linley.jpg

Sheila The Rogue: EMILY OSMENT
4871_emily-osment-300b101006.jpg

Eric The Cavalier: DAVID HENRIE
david.jpg

Diana The Acrobat: SHANICA KNOWLES
bwrqg1b7gf8lrwg8.jpg

Presto The Wizard: JIMMY BENNETT
Jimmybennet078088.jpg

Bobby The Barbarian: LEO HOWARD
leo-howard.jpg

Christopher Walken as Venger
christopher-walken-ne-il-mistero-di-sleepy-hollow-28277.jpg

VERNE TROYER AS DUNGEON MASTER
verne-troyer.jpg

Just finished watching Episode 3, "The Hall Of Bones". So I figured I'd bump this thread, 'cause it's an awesome subject.

[2] In 1985, the National Coalition on Television Violence claimed it was the most violent show on network television.'

Now, that is the NCOTV calling the show the most violent on network television, not the most violent children's show, but the most violent out of all shows, adult included.
which just goes to show that the makers were not dumbing down here either, but were pushing the violence as far as they could for an 80s tv show.

That only proves the NCOTV at the time were morons. D&D more violent than The A-Team? Or Knight Rider? Granted, I believe those shows first seasons were on the same year as D&D's last year, but still . . . Then there's The Dukes Of Hazzard, WWWF wrestling, and any number of cop shows that were on at the time.

Compared to shows where people are shot and killed? Or punched out in fist fights? Or beaten over the head with metal folding chairs? And D&D is "the most violent show on TV", with Hank tying orcs up with his energy arrows, Bobby causing earthquakes with his Thunder Club, and Eric hiding behind his Griffon Shield? Yeah, right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"