they should do a Dungeons & Dragons film based on the 'toon--

That only proves the NCOTV at the time were morons. D&D more violent than The A-Team? Or Knight Rider? Granted, I believe those shows first seasons were on the same year as D&D's last year, but still . . . Then there's The Dukes Of Hazzard, WWWF wrestling, and any number of cop shows that were on at the time.

Compared to shows where people are shot and killed? Or punched out in fist fights? Or beaten over the head with metal folding chairs? And D&D is "the most violent show on TV", with Hank tying orcs up with his energy arrows, Bobby causing earthquakes with his Thunder Club, and Eric hiding behind his Griffon Shield? Yeah, right!

There are times when Hank used his energy bow to fire directly on foes, when they were in the most dangerous situations.
The A-Team *never* hit an opponent with a potentially deadly weapon. We all know that running joke about the A-Team only firing their guns at the ground, it's true.
Hell, I recall seeing en ep where some crooks crashed a helicopter into the side of a cliff, and then climbed out in one piece, haha.

Same with Knight Rider, from memory anyway, just a few fistfights here and there, nobody got shot.

Maybe the ratings people were being morons, maybe they were being a bit overprotective, but they would also have been taking into the account the villans/creature's level of violence, not just what the kids did with their weapons.

Last edited:
Actually, out of the 27 episodes, Hank only directly hits a living creature with his energy bow once (in the episode 8, Season 1, Servant Of Evil). It was the beginning of the episode, and Hank saved Sheila from two lizard men by shooting them with his bow. All other times the energy arrows simply wrap themselves around the lizard men/bullywugs/orcs/whatever, incapacitating them but leaving them unharmed.

He did hit Tiamat with the bow directly several times, primarily in the very first episode, The Night Of No Tomorrow. However when we're first introduced to Tiamat Sheila specifically said that "she's indestructable", therefore the arrows bounced off harmlessly as would be expected against an indestructable creature. Any other time, the creature was never really alive to begin with, like the iron golem in Episode 6: Beauty & The Bogbeast.

Unlike in Dungeons & Dragons, there WERE incidents in The A-Team where characters got shot. They were rare. After 5 seasons you can still count them all on one hand, but they did occur. In Season 1, a gun went off in Murdock's face, blinding him and forcing Hannibal to take over the controls of the 747 jet they had just rescued. Also in Season 1, BA was shot in the leg and needed a blood transfusion from Murdock (granted, the shooting took place before the opening credits, but he was still shot). In the Season 2 finale, Murdock jumped in front of a bullet meant for Hannibal. The rest of the episode was spent trying to get him medical attention and characters remembering old adventures in flashbacks (rehashing old clips from previous episodes). Then in either Season 3 or Season 4, the army colonal who was chasing them actually hires them to return with him to Vietnam and rescue his son. I think that was the season finale, and it ended with the colonal getting shot in the back and dying.

Knight Rider was very similar. Yes, most of the time the villains just got knocked out. But there were exceptions to the rule. In the very first episode, the femme fatale tried to shoot Michael Knight through KITT's window. The bullet bounced off and killed her instead.

And unlike in Dungeons & Dragons, in both of those shows people were actually hit during fights. In at least one episode per season, BA would come across a villain as big and as strong as he is. Unlike his other fights (which would consist of him taking a punch, growling, then either knocking the guy out with a single punch or throwing him over his head) this one would last for several minutes, sometimes even ending in a draw. The closest D&D ever came to that is Diana using her staff to vault one orc (or whatever they were fighting) into another one (or possibly into the bushes, a lake, a haystack, a mud puddle, etc).

Thundarr The Barbarian was actually a much more violent Saturday Morning Cartoon. While they deliberately didn't have Thundarr attacking anyone directly with his Sunsword (at least, no one living, or only creatures who would prove to be immune to the weapon), the level of violence was far higher. Many of the villains did actually die (one of them drowned in the Labrea Tar Pits, another blew up after Thundarr deflected his magic back at him), although it was hinted that they might return ("With a wizard that powerful, you never can tell"). However, Ookla's and Ariel's attacks against villains are always more direct and physical. Ariel's spells would actually blast enemy mutants, unlike Presto's who would conjure banana peals for them to slip on or cream pies to throw in their faces. And Ookla would pick them up and throw them, squeeze them into unconsciousness with a bear hug, or shoot them with "stun arrows".

So again I say, the NCOTV of the time were morons.

Thundarr...I was actually gonna say, the only time anyone ever got shot on the A-Team was when one of their own got injured by gunshot...but thought that was besides the point...but aye, i did not recall that ep with the Colonel getting shot dead, so y'know, that is *one* instance.
I have only seen s1 and 2 in recent times.

I'm sure Hank shoots the creature Venger turns into at the end of 'The girl who dreamed tomorrow' directly with his energy bow, and he shoots the zombie creatures (c'mon, they count as alive) directly as well, in that ep 'prison without walls'. So, maybe there are a couple more you missed, I dunno.
edit: He also shoots the wizard who is transformed into that 'Man-thing' type creature.

but, as i was saying, the rating board would have also included the violence perputated by the villans and creatures in the show...so you have Venger shooting deadly energy bolts all the time, blowing stuff up, he almost killed Uni one time when he hit him...and you have Orcs whipping those dwarf slaves in the mines...and y'know various acts of violence done by the villans throughout the series when we see them fighting and causing havok.

I wasn't saying you were wrong, I did say to you this morning, that possibly they were being stupid and overprotective, but I am also saying, there was violence in the show that you are not taking into account.
so, yeah, lot of non-lethal violence, like A-Team etc, but i guess that was par for the course back then with tv guidelines, so you have to weigh the non-lethal violence into that statement.

Last edited:
the thread is still alive! kudos!

That's because this is an awesome idea for a movie. It should have been made years ago. And the show is beloved by enough fans to make a live action adaptation, or even a CGI animated movie, a huge success. Besides the fans of the show, there's also the fans of the game, and fans of the Sword & Sorcery movie genre in general would also love this movie. Just as long as it's well done of course.

Thundarr...I was actually gonna say, the only time anyone ever got shot on the A-Team was when one of their own got injured by gunshot...but thought that was besides the point...but aye, i did not recall that ep with the Colonel getting shot dead, so y'know, that is *one* instance.
I have only seen s1 and 2 in recent times.

I'm sure Hank shoots the creature Venger turns into at the end of 'The girl who dreamed tomorrow' directly with his energy bow, and he shoots the zombie creatures (c'mon, they count as alive) directly as well, in that ep 'prison without walls'. So, maybe there are a couple more you missed, I dunno.
edit: He also shoots the wizard who is transformed into that 'Man-thing' type creature.

but, as i was saying, the rating board would have also included the violence perputated by the villans and creatures in the show . . . so you have Venger shooting deadly energy bolts all the time, blowing stuff up, he almost killed Uni one time when he hit her . . . and you have Orcs whipping those dwarf slaves in the mines . . . and y'know various acts of violence done by the villans throughout the series when we see them fighting and causing havok.

I wasn't saying you were wrong, I did say to you this morning, that possibly they were being stupid and overprotective, but I am also saying, there was violence in the show that you are not taking into account.
so, yeah, lot of non-lethal violence, like A-Team etc, but i guess that was par for the course back then with tv guidelines, so you have to weigh the non-lethal violence into that statement.

Personally, I consider any non-sentient undead, such as zombies or the skeletons in The Dragon's Graveyard, as nonliving opponents. Thus, by the "laws of TV violence" at the time, direct violence against them is allowed (like the robots in Thundarr, He-Man, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).

As for Hank shooting Venger, it had been established throughout the show that Venger is virtually invulnerable himself. He often catches the magical bolts out of thin air, or deflects them with a wave of his hand. And the creature he had turned himself into at the end of The Girl Who Dreamed Tomorrow was similarly immune to the weapon, if not more so.

And as for the "Swamp-Thing" type creature that Venger had turned the gnome wizard into, every time Hank shot it with his Energy Bow, it got stronger. That puts it into the "can't hurt it" category.

Venger's attacks against The Young Ones could certainly be considered violent, as could Tiamat's, and some of the random monsters they encounter in various episodes (the hydra in The Girl Who Dreamed Tomorrow, the sea creature in The Garden Of Zinn, and the demon queen in The Child Of The Star Gazer, come particularly to mind).

As for the attacks of the orcs, bullywugs, lizardmen, etc? What attacks? They never get close enough to attack. Hank, Bobby, and Diana pretty much take them out before they get within weapons range. Those that do get within weapons range try and attack Sheila and Eric, one of which they can't see, the other they can't touch (Eric's Griffon Shield puts him in the "invulnerable opponent" category, making physical attacks against him allowed). And even if they are within weapons range, they always try and grab The Young Ones with their hands rather than attacking with their weapons.

And the orcs never actually whip any of Venger's slaves. They in fact crack the whips above the slaves heads. While it suggests that the slaves have been whipped before, they don't actually show anyone getting flogged.

I suppose I could concede that the NCOTV was looking at the violence of the villains as well as that of the heroes, but labeling it "the most violent show on television" I think is a little extreme. Especially since, as I stated before, there were far more violent programs on TV at the time.

I was googling images of the D&D cartoon for inspiration/guidelines for some fan comics I'm working on (I plan on redoing my Thundarr fan fiction stories in comic book format, two of which are crossovers with the D&D cartoon) when I stumbled across an article on a gamers website stating that Disney had purchased Wizards of the Coast (the company which publishes the D&D game). I got really excited, as they already own Marvel Studios (the company that produced the cartoon) which would make a live action movie adaptation, or at least a reboot of the series, a very good possibility if not down right probable.

Unfortunately I then read the article itself, and the date it was published (April 1st, 2013) and realized it was just an April Fools prank. Damn you internet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"