Dungeons & dragons movie discussion

I saw this a few weeks ago, definitely the surprise of the year, a really entertaining action adventure in the mold of Willow, the script is sharp, the characters likable, the visuals great and the action sequences fun. I'd be surprised if they don't get a sequel into development soon.

Saw this last night and had an absolute blast with it. It was cool seeing all the little Easter Eggs that Forgotten Realms fans like myself could enjoy, while still being mainstream enough that people who know nothing about the D&D world could still get it. Pine, Rodriguez, Page, Smith and Grant were the standouts for me. The effects were great; they looked a lot better in the movie than they did in the trailers. The fight choreography was also really awesome; Holga has a lot of great fight scenes, and Xenk vs. the Thayens was rad. I hope the streaming numbers are good so that we will hopefully see more of Faerun in live action.

A few nitpicks…

I wish they had made Pine’s character a bit more competent simply because it would have made him more consistent. I know he’s supposed to be the weakest one in the group, but at the beginning, we learn he’s part of this secret badass group of knights but apparently he never really learned to fight with anything other than his lute? Maybe if they had made it clear that the lute was magically indestructible then him using it as a weapon would have made more sense but I kept thinking, “Dude, pick up a sword already!”

Sophia Lillis’ character felt a little dull to me. Her powers were really cool but I wish they had given her a bit more personality. I don’t fault her; she’s typically great in stuff. I just think they didn’t wrote her very well.

I wanted Page to return for a “Han Solo” scene during the final battle and help out the rest of the heroes. Love his character and the banter he had with Pine. Hopefully if there is a sequel, he’ll have a bigger role.

Last edited:
Saw this last night and had an absolute blast with it. It was cool seeing all the little Easter Eggs that Forgotten Realms fans like myself could enjoy, while still being mainstream enough that people who know nothing about the D&D world could still get it. Pine, Rodriguez, Page, Smith and Grant were the standouts for me. The effects were great; they looked a lot better in the movie than they did in the trailers. The fight choreography was also really awesome; Holga has a lot of great fight scenes, and Xenk vs. the Thayens was rad. I hope the streaming numbers are good so that we will hopefully see more of Faerun in live action.

A few nitpicks…

I wish they had made Pine’s character a bit more competent simply because it would have made him more consistent. I know he’s supposed to be the weakest one in the group, but at the beginning, we learn he’s part of this secret badass group of knights but apparently he never really learned to fight with anything other than his lute? Maybe if they had made it clear that the lute was magically indestructible then him using it as a weapon would have made more sense but I kept thinking, “Dude, pick up a sword already!”

Sophia Lillis’ character felt a little dull to me. Her powers were really cool but I wish they had given her a bit more personality. I don’t fault her; she’s typically great in stuff. I just think they didn’t write her very well.

I wanted Page to return for a “Han Solo” scene during the final battle and help out the rest of the heroes. Love his character and the banter he had with Pine. Hopefully if there is a sequel, he’ll have a bigger role.
Page really has to come back and join the team. It was one of the few things I didn’t like that his screen time ended relatively early. As you say he had awesome chemistry with the others, particularly Pine. Offered something very unique.

Interesting. I felt Page was the weak link in the cast, personally. I cracked up at jokes made about him (like the walking in a straight line thing lol), but his actual performance felt forced more often than not to me.

Interesting. I felt Page was the weak link in the cast, personally. I cracked up at jokes made about him (like the walking in a straight line thing lol), but his actual performance felt forced more often than not to me.
He is an easy target for jokes being so stiff and not being on the same wavelength as the others, that was actually part of the appeal and why he adds to the group for me.

I never got the hype surrounding the guy, because I've never seen Bridgerton and he didn't exactly impress me in either Mortal Engines or The Gray Man, but I thought he did great here with what little he was given.

He was low key hilarious in this, and I loved all his interactions with the other characters and I think I must have laughed for like 5 minutes straight at the walking a straight-line visual gag lol.

Also, his little lightsaber, swordfight was pretty badass too.

So, finally got around seeing this in theaters ( I planned to watch it earlier, but life got in the way ). Definitely time well spent. The characters were fun, the story had some cleverness to it, and it all felt exactly like the kind of D&D sessions I've played or ran, right down to the periods when the players just can't manage to roll above a 1 and so the GM eventually just lets the latest dumb plan work because they missed all the ways he *planned* for them to be able to advance the plot.

Also, Xenk is every PC I've ever played. Paladins represent! *ahem*

( My only real complaint? Their efforts to try and pretend the Harpers are actually good guys. But the movie is clearly set at least a century after the main Forgotten Realms era, its entirely possible that most of the leadership has died in the interim and the current Harper organization has no continuity with the old, so their just going off the propaganda lies the Harpers told about themselves. *eg* )

I wouldn't mind these directors being given Guardians of the Galaxy 4 now Gunn is done.

Watched this again at home. Such a fun movie and I would love a sequel if they could somehow make it for cheaper. Surely they could cut down a bit on CGI but there were plenty of practical effects here too.

Will definitely be keeping an eye out for what this directing team do next.

Watched this again at home. Such a fun movie and I would love a sequel if they could somehow make it for cheaper. Surely they could cut down a bit on CGI but there were plenty of practical effects here too.

Will definitely be keeping an eye out for what this directing team do next.
They did an amazing job with the resources at hand and could probably do a good job if they needed to step more towards practical over CGI for a sequel. I’d also like to see what they could do with more financial freedom on a larger project too. They know how to make likeable characters at least.

They did an amazing job with the resources at hand and could probably do a good job if they needed to step more towards practical over CGI for a sequel. I’d also like to see what they could do with more financial freedom on a larger project too. They know how to make likeable characters at least.

Definitely. As I have said before would love them to tackle something Guardians 4. Or even X-Men. But would love them to get another shot at D&D also.

I had fun with this. Oddly enough I think it’s a better Doctor Strange movie than anything we’ve seen in the MCU.

Definitely. As I have said before would love them to tackle something Guardians 4. Or even X-Men. But would love them to get another shot at D&D also.
Hmm, X-Men could be interesting. I’d like to see them on something else before I’d 100% be ok with that (as X-Men is pretty much highest priority project) but this was definitely a great initial showing for me with them.

Hmm, X-Men could be interesting. I’d like to see them on something else before I’d 100% be ok with that (as X-Men is pretty much highest priority project) but this was definitely a great initial showing for me with them.

Well they showed here they could certainly handle the team aspect. Everyone got their chance to shine. X-Men is a few years away it seems so am sure they got another movie lined up in between.

Well they showed here they could certainly handle the team aspect. Everyone got their chance to shine. X-Men is a few years away it seems so am sure they got another movie lined up in between.
Yeah, and if they manage to do something as good as this and it happens to be an ensemble film I’m going to have to give them my green light (which counts for nothing lol).

I really liked some of the sequences where they used magic and the adventure was fun and the characters were handled about as well as they could be considering the large roster.

I thought the first half of the movie had too much humor to the point where the writers/filmmakers were begging to 'please like our movie it's like Marvel' but the second half it was dialed back better. Overall it was good movie.

I had fun with this. Oddly enough I think it’s a better Doctor Strange movie than anything we’ve seen in the MCU.

Definitely better than any of the Strange movies, without a doubt.

Best movie in 2023…and since there won’t be Dune, it’ll remain my favorite movie in 2023

The scene where they distract the guards had my wife and I wheezing with laughter. The randomness of it killed me.

Really fun movie. Would very much like a second one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"