Inhumans This show looks good

NealKenneth

Civilian
Reaction score
And if reading the title of this thread upsets you, you've proven the point I'm about to make.

Ever since the Inhumans film was announced this property has been getting complained about. I remember people saying back then that it wasn't worthy of being a film when we could have something like Iron Man 4 instead.

When it was delayed, people took this as confirmation that the film would suck.
When it was moved to a series instead of a film, people took this as confirmation that the show would suck.
When Iron Fist bombed, people took this as confirmation that the show would suck.
When it seemed to interfere with AoS getting renewed, people **** on it.
When a very normal cast photo was released, people took this as confirmation that the show would suck.
Then the trailer came out and was quite good, people took this as confirmation that the show would suck.

My point is, for whatever reason, there is a distinct subset of fans who are following the behind-the-scenes activities of these studios so much that they are actively ****ting on something they've barely seen.

The trailer was good and the costumes look like they do in the comics.

I have shown it to a few friends that aren't fanboys, and haven't heard of The Inhumans, and they all thought it looked really interesting. Each friend independantly mentioned that the villain in particular is very well-acted. So my point is that, if you think this show looks bad, you might be experiencing confirmation bias due to following the long history of this property too closely.

Best of luck to the cast and crew

I was actually rooting for the show right up till the latest trailer. I already made peace with the fact that it wouldn't be the Inhumans I know and love from the comics, but even as an isolated independent work of science fiction, it just looks cheap.

It looks like it it has a smaller budget than shows like Farscape and Star Trek that came out 10+ years ago.

American Gods, The Expanse, Game of thrones etc, all look like they have a higher value in set, costume and cinematography. The bar has been raised and ABC don't seem to have got close to it.

That being said, I'm going to take my fanboy goggles off and actually give the show a chance. But I have every right to be pessimistic.

based on what I have seen so far, it doesn't. still, i won't trash talk before i see it.

giphy.gif

This trailer is legitimately bad to some people. I was excited for this and like some of the actors involved from previous work. Not everyone has an agenda, and quite frankly it's insulting to suggest that everyone does.

Also, bluntly, its not wrong to expect a show to suck, when there is considerable evidence to suggest it will, in fact, suck. And there's been reason for skepticism ever since it was announced. This is not some evil bias, this is called "looking at the evidence and making a judgement call".

Also, bluntly, its not wrong to expect a show to suck, when there is considerable evidence to suggest it will, in fact, suck. And there's been reason for skepticism ever since it was announced. This is not some evil bias, this is called "looking at the evidence and making a judgement call".

I feel like a lot of people were far more than ready to jump on that bandwagon. Kind of like being overly critical of anything not made by Marvel Studios. That people are judging that it's made by ABC more than the actual content.

I'm not saying people have to like it or their assessment is off. But it definitely feels more like a bandwagon thing. I think it looks alright, they story is what I feel like will make or break it, but just no where near as bad as what some people are making it out to be.

I was actually rooting for the show right up till the latest trailer. I already made peace with the fact that it wouldn't be the Inhumans I know and love from the comics, but even as an isolated independent work of science fiction, it just looks cheap.

It looks like it it has a smaller budget than shows like Farscape and Star Trek that came out 10+ years ago.

American Gods, The Expanse, Game of thrones etc, all look like they have a higher value in set, costume and cinematography. The bar has been raised and ABC don't seem to have got close to it.

That being said, I'm going to take my fanboy goggles off and actually give the show a chance. But I have every right to be pessimistic.

This is very similar to how I feel. I hoped, and to some extent expected this to be a game-changer with a look and feel that bridged the gap between TV and film - like Game of Thrones but for Network TV.

It still looks good for a TV show, but it needs that qualifier.

With Game of Thrones, we don't need to add that qualifier. It simply looks good. Period.

And I also think a big problem with this is that it is too ambitious. The sets, costumes etc. aren't going to look 'real' because they obviously aren't real. They were specially made to be part of an alien culture. Even GOT has the advantage of being able to use real structures, locations and costumes based on real, historical clothing for a large amount of it.

But I don't think they should be able to use the ambitiousness of the project as an excuse. They knew what they were getting into, so if they couldn't pull it off, they should have chosen a simpler set of characters (one that I think may have lent itself well to this format is Man-Thing).

But I'm still hoping to be pleasantly surprised. A top-rate story still could turn this into something very special and these characters are interesting enough that the potential is there for a really good story.

I don't think it even looks all that good by TV show standards. All the space sets look so empty.

And if reading the title of this thread upsets you, you've proven the point I'm about to make.

Ever since the Inhumans film was announced this property has been getting complained about. I remember people saying back then that it wasn't worthy of being a film when we could have something like Iron Man 4 instead.

When it was delayed, people took this as confirmation that the film would suck.
When it was moved to a series instead of a film, people took this as confirmation that the show would suck.
When Iron Fist bombed, people took this as confirmation that the show would suck.
When it seemed to interfere with AoS getting renewed, people **** on it.
When a very normal cast photo was released, people took this as confirmation that the show would suck.
Then the trailer came out and was quite good, people took this as confirmation that the show would suck.

My point is, for whatever reason, there is a distinct subset of fans who are following the behind-the-scenes activities of these studios so much that they are actively ****ting on something they've barely seen.

The trailer was good and the costumes look like they do in the comics.

I have shown it to a few friends that aren't fanboys, and haven't heard of The Inhumans, and they all thought it looked really interesting. Each friend independantly mentioned that the villain in particular is very well-acted. So my point is that, if you think this show looks bad, you might be experiencing confirmation bias due to following the long history of this property too closely.

Best of luck to the cast and crew

I do have a few reservations but I am very much looking forward to it and WILL be seeing it in IMax.

I feel like a lot of people were far more than ready to jump on that bandwagon. Kind of like being overly critical of anything not made by Marvel Studios. That people are judging that it's made by ABC more than the actual content.

I'm not saying people have to like it or their assessment is off. But it definitely feels more like a bandwagon thing. I think it looks alright, they story is what I feel like will make or break it, but just no where near as bad as what some people are making it out to be.

I can tell you that it has nothing to do with ABC for me. I watch Once Upon a Time on ABC and like it a lot (to say nothing of previous shows I watched on the network), and as far as I'm concerned the OUaT trailer from six years back blows the Inhumans trailer away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rga4rp4j5TY

And I also think a big problem with this is that it is too ambitious. The sets, costumes etc. aren't going to look 'real' because they obviously aren't real. They were specially made to be part of an alien culture. Even GOT has the advantage of being able to use real structures, locations and costumes based on real, historical clothing for a large amount of it.

Yea it was either arrogance or ignorance, or both.

Given the less than a year time frame, I'm shocked that they thought they could pull it off.

Funny thing is, I think they could have pulled of a moderate budgeted character study staring Maximus. Set the whole thing on Attilan and have Maximus lead the show and treat it like Breaking Bad meets Legion.

Maximus slowly manipulating every member of the royal family while struggling with his own madness. You'd only really need to deal with one high CGI episode with Medusa's hair and have limited Lockjaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"