Thor (from TDW) vs Superman (from MOS) who wins in a fight, and why ?

Haven't seen MOS yet, but did see TDW and I agree with the majority…and to me, just watching the trailers and tv spots you can tell Superman has it won.

and can I say…I enjoy these types of threads.

I'm thinking Superman would win, perhaps a closer fight than some people would think.

Also, I want to say that Thor's hammer, while magical, probably won't hurt Superman any more than normal lightning would. While Supe's is vulnerable to magic, the lightning itself isn't magical, just called down by magical means. His vulnerability means that he can be transformed into a rabbit the same as anyone else, not that anything magical automatically kills him.

Thors skin can break via a sharp instrument. He's vulnerable. Superman isn't.

Superman wins

Superman snaps Thor's neck, while Thor is portrayed as comic relief.

Superman is way too fast. If Mjolnir did more exotic things like the comic book version then Thor would have the advantage. Alas, all he can do with it is use lightning and hit things really hard.

Thors skin can break via a sharp instrument. He's vulnerable. Superman isn't.

Superman wins

Which sharp instrument are we talking here? If it's an asgardian instrument or one that was constructed somewhere in the 9 realms other than Midgard, then yeah. But I haven't seen earthly weapons harm Thor. He can even shrug off an explosion, like the one in Avengers.

I'm not saying Thor would win, because at this point, I'm really not sure. Superman certainly had more feats of power and strength. But Thor does use magic...this is a difficult one. I was sure Superman would win back when I posted in here in November, but now it's hard for me.

Last edited:
What magic did Thor use in the movies? Superman is stronger and faster, movie Thor has no chance.

Comic book Thor might have the advantage if he uses all the wacky powers Mjolnir gives him, like opening dimensional portals and creating black holes etc.

What magic did Thor use in the movies? Superman is stronger and faster, movie Thor has no chance.

Comic book Thor might have the advantage if he uses all the wacky powers Mjolnir gives him, like opening dimensional portals and creating black holes etc.

Mjolnir is magic. The lightning he uses and calls forth is magical.

Hmmm perhaps. But then Superman's weakness to magic isn't what a lot of people think it is. He isn't any weaker to it than a regular person. It isn't like an Achilles heel where it hurts him more than it would Batman. Besides, we don't even know if movie Superman has that weakness.

Yeah, that's true. We don't know if this Superman has a weakness to magic.

A magic weakness is irrelevant. If Thor gets the chance to land a serious Mjolnir attack, it will hurt because of simple power plenty enough. The issue is whether he gets a chance to do so amidst the pummeling.

Personally, I think he will, though probably not often enough to win. Superman's speed in MoS is vastly over-rated here. The only person to demonstrate serious reflexes was Faora, and she wasn't exactly the Flash. A faster, more mobile Hulk is still a serious problem for Thor, though, without exaggerating his speed level.

movie Supes would so not be worthy to lift mjolnir

Which sharp instrument are we talking here? If it's an asgardian instrument or one that was constructed somewhere in the 9 realms other than Midgard, then yeah. But I haven't seen earthly weapons harm Thor. He can even shrug off an explosion, like the one in Avengers.

I'm not saying Thor would win, because at this point, I'm really not sure. Superman certainly had more feats of power and strength. But Thor does use magic...this is a difficult one. I was sure Superman would win back when I posted in here in November, but now it's hard for me.

You're right about the blade being Asguardian :doh:

Though Thor hasn't used Magic in the movies, he'd have to somehow get Superman to breathe Kryptonian air to weaken him and Superman would have to get Asguardian weapons to truly kill Thor.

Wonder if Superman could move under the weight of Mjonir

Thor showed a bit of damage against Kurse though. He was bleeding etc. Supes didn't even have a scratch from the crap he took in MoS. Even re-entry into Earth's atmosphere, which is more impressive than anything Thor has done thus far.

I think if speed was equalised, Thor wins. But speed kills lol.

I love Thor, but Clark is just on another level. Heck, I think Clark would beat the entire Avengers team with ease.

Found this from an old JLA/Avengers comic:

SupermanandThorbrawlin3.jpg

Last edited:
I love Thor, but Clark is just on another level. Heck, I think Clark would beat the entire Avengers team with ease.

Found this from an old JLA/Avengers comic:

SupermanandThorbrawlin3.jpg

Wow, I can't believe people are posting in this thread again,
good on you people !

Anyway, when I started this thread, boy did I pull this particular
page out of JLA/Avengers in a hurry.

Of course on the next page all the Avengers team up and kick the **** out of Superman, it's like 10 of them against him (Iron Man, Hercules, She Hulk, Vision, Captain Marvel and a bunch more).
Anyway, this is still the comic book versions, and back in 1996 Superman was headed back towards being pretty invincible, nowadays the comics versions are a bit more even probably - it looks like Thor has been becoming more powerful in recent years.

However, in terms of the movie versions, I think Clark wins, but not easily.
Putting magic aside (because Thor explained Asgardian "magic" as a kind of science) I think Thor's attacks would certainly hurt Supes.

However, the Kurse v Thor fight clinched it for me. Kurse fights smart and keeps Mjolnir out of Thor's grasp, and then proceeds to smash Thor pretty thoroughly. Supes gets hit by a train, thrown from half a mile away, and
walks away without a scratch (whereas a mere boulder knocked down Thor).
Plus the jet cannon fire, that Thor ducks (showing he's smart) hits Supes with very little effect.

This is how I would see it turning out, a bit like Superman's fight with Faora, Thor zaps Supes with some lightning, and smacks him around for a bit (Thor is definitely a better, as in much more skilled warrior, whereas Clark is a brawler). But if Thor somehow threatens Lois or someone Clark really cares about, then he gets pissed and it's on. Maybe a blast of heat-vision as an opener (and given that it liquefied an I-beam instantly, heat vision is pretty damn hot).

Supes gives one of those primal grunts (like when he smashes Faora thru the garbage truck) and with a tremendous burst of super-speed smashes Thor through a couple of buildings/mountains/helicarriers or whatever hard obstacles happen to be around. Several famous landmarks get levelled, but when the smoke clears, Thor's down.

If Kurse could bruise and bloody Thor, Supes can certainly do better, and he's arguably much more invulnerable ( Thor, hit with boulder and is stunned, Superman, hit with train, not a scratch, he and Zod smash through the metal beams of the skyscraper like it's paper).

So in the end, it wouldn't be easy, Thor would go down swinging, but I reckon Supes would come out on top.

But that's just IMO. Plenty of Thor fans see it differently, and they have a point - to be honest if Thor had Hulk with him it might go differently, as Supes certainly struggled fighting Faora and Nam-Ek at once - although they're both nearly as powerful as him, Nam-Ek possibly stronger).
Of course if Supes used Super-speed, even slightly as well as Faora, he'd
have quite an edge.

Thor and Iron Man would give Supes a rough time, IMO, but Thor and Hulk might actually beat him - unless he could separate them and then take them out one at a time. Iron man, probably wouldn't last that long, well if he was wearing the suit he wore in Iron Man 3, he'd blow himself up
or just have a panic attack. Plus, those suits were very vulnerable to heat
(e.g. extremis soldiers) so heat vision would make short work of him.

Although if they did have to fight on the big screen, I'd prefer it be a bit more like Thor v Iron Man (and I'm on the team that says Thor was holding back quite a bit), where they have a bit of a pissing contest and then shake hands at the end.

Sadly, with WB and Disney being where they are it's unlikely we'll ever see this go down. Shame really. I think that Iron Man v Thor was one of the better parts of Avengers, yeah it was a superhero pissing contest and the old "first time they meet they fight" cliché, but hell it was fun and well executed, kudos to Whedon on that one.

(although having said that, in terms of super-hero on super-villain fights
I still say Superman vs Faora and Nam Ek sets the standard, because unlike Iron Man v Thor, nobody's holding back, they're trying to really **** each other up ! )

Again, this is all just IMO. I respect people who see it differently. :super:

Here's how I see a Clark VS Avengers fight:

Cap, Widow and Hawkeye: Non-factors. Before they would know what was what they'd be waking up in a hospital.

Iron-Man: I think Clark would rip into Tony like a can opener, his armor would be crushed into a little ball before he could get one blast off.

Thor: I see it going like the comic. Thor has nothing on Supes, nothing. Clark is stronger, faster, has more powers and is not dependent on a weapon. If Kurse can pound Thor's face 6 feet under, than he doesn't stand a chance against Clark.

Hulk:
This is the Avenger that will give Clark trouble. Hulk has the raw strength to go toe to toe with Supes, and is invulnerable enough to withstand a **** load of punishment before going down. Ultimately Clark would come on top because of how diverse his powers are but I think he would at least get a bloody nose out of it.

Here's how I see a Clark VS Avengers fight:

Cap, Widow and Hawkeye: Non-factors. Before they would know what was what they'd be waking up in a hospital.

Iron-Man: I think Clark would rip into Tony like a can opener, his armor would be crushed into a little ball before he could get one blast off.

Thor: I see it going like the comic. Thor has nothing on Supes, nothing. Clark is stronger, faster, has more powers and is not dependent on a weapon. If Kurse can pound Thor's face 6 feet under, than he doesn't stand a chance against Clark.

Hulk: This is the Avenger that will give Clark trouble. Hulk has the raw strength to go toe to toe with Supes, and is invulnerable enough to withstand a **** load of punishment before going down. Ultimately Clark would come on top because of how diverse his powers are but I think he would at least get a bloody nose out of it.

In the comic Thor has magic and is just as strong as Superman.

In the comic Thor has magic and is just as strong as Superman.

I don't think Thor is as strong as Superman in the comics, definitely not in the movies. Clark has moved entire planet at times. In SR he lifted that entire Kryptonian Island while exposed to Kryptonite. Thor while very strong, can't compare IMO.

I don't think Thor is as strong as Superman in the comics, definitely not in the movies. Clark has moved entire planet at times. In SR he lifted that entire Kryptonian Island while exposed to Kryptonite. Thor while very strong, can't compare IMO.

Do you read Thor? He lifted the Midgard Serpent. A smake so long that it can wrap around the world.

And Superman moved an actual world, multiple worlds at that.

Dudes, first a shout-out to Toronto, my original home-town !

Second, the thread's about the on-screen version of Superman vs on-screen Thor. It's very hard to argue the comic book versions, as they change their level of power so much. No doubt, IMO, the most powerful version of Superman could probably take down the most powerful version of Thor -although Thor's god-force stuff makes him pretty tough, I think he dented a Celestial once, and they're pretty much like God and his brothers. Superman Prime (who's a bad guy, and represents the most powerful version of Silver age Superman) Thor would have no chance, that guy's taken on Superman, Power Girl, some of the guardians of the universe and a heap of Green Lanterns and Sinestro corps fighters, and was winning. You need to throw that guy through a couple of suns just to slow him down.

When it comes to the comics, Supes has beaten both Hulk and Thor (but not both at the same time). However, lots of weird stuff has happened with Thor in terms of his powers, but that happens a lot, a new writers comes along and the hero's level of power goes way up, or down (its happened
to Clark several times).

But....this thread's about the film versions.

So, back to the film versions. I just don't see Thor's strength or invulnerability coming even close, given the punishment Superman endures in MOS, vs the punishment Thor takes in Thor and Thor TDW (if Thor gets hit by a train in Age of Ultron, then maybe I'll change my mind).

And speed, well Supes is pretty rubbish at using his super-speed, but remember that bit at the end of TDW, when Thor (without Mjolnir) has to jog ? Big speed advantage to Supes.

Also, Hulk caught Mjolnir in flight, so Supes would be able to.

Could he lift Mjolnir, hmmmmmm...... opinions are very divided. Based on the comic book version of "worthy" maybe not (although he does wield it temporarily in the JLA/Avengers book), in terms of the movie, maybe he could. But if Kurse could flick it away, Supes probably could too.

As I've said many times before, I think Thor's edge is in fighting skills, that's a massive equalizer. A skillful fighter can beat someone stronger and faster than themselves (to a point, like Bruce Lee can't take on the Hulk).........but I still think the difference is too great, but not great enough to make it a very tough scrap ( I vote Supes wins, but barely).

BTW, there was a Silver Surfer vs Thor thread, personally, I thought that if they fought in space the Surfer should win (just) but if they fought on Earth, where Thor could control the elements, he'd have the edge.

Now the surfer has even more diverse powers than Superman (he once raised the dead), and can move at translight speeds in space, which is why I see his manuverability and power cosmic (which he'd have greater access to in space) as giving him the upper hand. Thor fans have told me that Thor can do that kind of stuff too, but I haven't seen it myself - although I must admit I'm out of touch with Thor. I thought his hammer allowed for inter-dimensional teleportation.

However, I don't know if the comics back me up on whether the Surfer would win. In fact, I think Thor may have beat the Silver one, but if anyone knows for sure, I'd like to know.

Sorry, that's a bit off topic.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinions. Really, if you enjoyed sticking up for your fave character that's cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"