Thor: Love and Thunder | Official News and Speculation Thread

just-stop-shut-up.gif

Personally, I still wish that Kenneth Branagh would come back to direct another Thor film. I don't think any of Thor's sequels have come close towards matching that film's quality.

I'm not a fan of Taika's comedic take of the character. There are times where I'm feel like I'm watching a parody superhero film. It doesn't help that Taika doesn't know how to take constructive criticism for his projects.

If Disney wants this run to continue, they need to focus on making good movies and not the runtime. That’s just flat out stupid

I think Disney realized they didnt have a good movie on their hands though. So they cut it to potentionally get a maximum of viewings at least. Additional scenes wouldnt have made this movie any better imho.

I think Disney realized they didnt have a good movie on their hands though. So they cut it to potentionally get a maximum of viewings at least. Additional scenes wouldnt have made this movie any better imho.
Hmmmm. While I rather liked it, I’m known as a lousy critic. You could be right on that though. I’m sure they’re more tuned in to the general public’s opinion than I am. If so, I don’t expect to see Taika doing any more marvel movies. I don’t know that I would say that they thought it wasn’t a good movie, but maybe they thought it wouldn’t make a lot of money and wanted to pare it down. That doesn’t sound completely unreasonable to me.

Straight up facts.

FZVw1uAWAAI2s13

I'm a completionist so will be buying the blu-ray when it comes out, to go with the rest of my Marvel collection... But my dislike of the movie is going to make me a sour Bren that day hahaha

An honest trailer for this one seems a little redundant

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but I've done a fairly detailed L&T rewrite. Basically, my intention was to keep the same basic story structure (and end the movie in a similar place), but on the whole make it a much more satisfying and emotional experience. I guess its a bit arrogant for some guy on the internet to think that he can do a better job at writing a Thor movie than an Academy Award winner, but here goes nothin':

Oh, and spoiler alert.

Thor: Love and Thunder Rewrite

Prologue

The movie starts in a similar way – Gorr and his dying daughter in the desert, struggling to survive. Gorr’s daughter dies and Gorr meets his god (who in this version should look more like the golden god from the comic scene on which this is based) in the oasis. Gorr is disgusted by his god’s callousness and kills him with the Necrosword, vowing to kill all gods.

ACT 1

The movie proper still starts with Korg’s narration, but without the disrespectful barbs about the Warriors 3. In this version, Thor and the Guardians have already parted ways (there really wasn’t a reason for them to be in the movie), and it is Thor and Korg alone who get drawn to Indigarr by a distress signal. We can still have the same idea about Thor being lost in life and needing someone to love. Thor defeats the aliens like in the movie and is then told by the leader of the Indigarrians that their planet used to be protected by gods who lived in a golden palace in the sky, but that their gods have gone missing and as a result Indigarr has been left defenceless. Concerned by this, Thor flies off to find the gods of Indigarr.

We cut to Jane on Earth, who is struggling with breast cancer. Nothing too much to change here, other than that in this version Jane will be drawn to New Asgard by a vision from Mjolnir in a dream while she is asleep, rather than because she is looking for a cure (this will create a clear parallel between Jane and Gorr – both of them mortals drawn to godly weapons of immense power while on the brink of death). Jane travels to New Asgard and transforms into Mighty Thor after coming into contact with Mjolnir. In this version, we see the reaction of King Valkyrie (who has trained a new Valkyrie Corps, complete with pegasuses and everything) and the rest of the Asgardians to Jane’s transformation.

Meanwhile, Thor finds the palace of the Indigarrian gods in space. Forcing his way through the locked doors, he finds a scene of pure slaughter- all of the gods have been brutally killed and their bodies suspended from the ceiling. Horrified, Thor rushes back to Indigarr.

We now cut to Lady Sif on Alfheim, standing alongside Falligar the Behemoth and an array of other unnamed deities in battle formation. Suddenly, Gorr appears out of the shadows with his army of demons and a battle ensues, in which all the gods save Sif are killed (Gorr himself kills Falligar in a manner reminiscent of Legolas’ felling of the Oliphaunt in ROTK). Sif fights Gorr valiantly, but she loses, and her right arm is cut off. As she lies on the ground, Sif notices Gorr shooting out tendrils from his body into each of the slain gods and even her severed arm, appearing to absorb some of their blood. Before he leaves, Gorr taunts Sif that he’s coming for the rest of her people next before disappearing.

Sif puts out a distress signal, which is picked up by Thor and Korg on Indigarr. Moments later, Thor and Korg arrive and Sif warns Thor of the impending attack on New Asgard.

The Battle in New Asgard plays out pretty much the same, with Thor meeting Jane as Mighty Thor and us being shown how their relationship fell apart through the flashback montage. Gorr is forced to retreat, but not before kidnapping the children of New Asgard, and appearing to suggest that the gods of Olympus will be his next target.

**END OF ACT 1**

Last edited:
ACT 2

The next day, the characters argue about what they should do, with Thor eventually persuading Jane, Val and Sif (who has been given a Destroyer-esque robot arm) that, since they don’t know where Gorr has taken the children, they should go to Olympus to warn Zeus and the others about Gorr, and that Zeus might be able to help them with finding Gorr’s lair. In this version Jane goes to see a doctor in New Asgard, who explicitly tells her that her cancer has gotten worse because of her use of Mjolnir, and that every time she lifts the hammer and becomes Mighty Thor, the chemo drugs are purged from her body, thus resetting her cancer. Deeply distressed, Jane goes into the bathroom and has the scene where she smashes the surface of the basin. Just like in the movie, she asks Val to not tell Thor about her condition. After this, Thor, Val, Mighty Thor and Sif (Korg is staying behind in this version) set off on the Asgardian ship pulled by Toothgnasher and Toothgrinder. However, unbeknownst to them, a tiny shadow monster (doing Gorr’s bidding) has tagged along for the ride...

Meanwhile, we see that Gorr and his army of shadow monsters have enslaved the Asgardian children on an unknown, barren planet that has been cast into shadow by Gorr. Axl and the others are forced to work to build a large, spherical device (Spoiler: this is the Godbomb). Axl tries to use the powers he inherited from his father to contact Thor, but it doesn’t work. The camera then pans across and we now find ourselves in the jungle paradise from the prologue. We realise that we are on Gorr’s planet. The sun is still shining here, unlike the rest of the planet. It is then revealed that Gorr has used the power of the Necrosword to resurrect his daughter, Love, and she now lives with him in the oasis where Gorr’s selfish god once dwelled. The symbolism is clear: now Gorr is the cruel god exploiting weaker beings. Love is blissfully unaware of the monster her father has turned into (he doesn’t allow her to leave the oasis, and he reverts back to his less monstrous original form when in her presence).

En-route to Olympus, the scene of Thor and Jane on the ship (where Thor finds out Jane has cancer) happens here. That scene is perfect and so can remain the same. However, simultaneously, we also see Val and Sif bonding over their pain and personal losses (Val’s loss of her sisters, Sif’s loss of the Warriors Three). It is made clear that they are developing feelings for each other

Team Thor arrive in Olympus and they manage to get an audience with Zeus. In this version, Zeus and Thor already know each other (we can have some jokes about Thor and Loki visiting Olympus when they were children). Much like in the movie, Zeus is an **shole, but unlike in the movie, he has no idea who Gorr is or that gods are being killed. Basically, the Olympians have no idea what’s going on outside their realm because they never leave there and spend all their time drinking and partying. Thor tries to warn him but Zeus isn’t having any of it. Other than that, the scene is similar and we can still have Naked Thor. However, the scene is interrupted by Gorr, who arrives with his army of monsters, revealing that he in fact didn’t know where Olympus (because the Olympians are too lazy to ever leave the place) – his warning was a trap to draw them there (he knew the Asgardians and Olympians were tight) and his small spy monster tracked them for him.

A huge 3 way fight breaks out: Thor, Mighty Thor, Val and Sif against Gorr and his monsters against the Olympians. Gorr manages to kill a couple of the Olympians (2 of the less important ones) and just like before, he absorbs some of their blood with tendrils. Sif sees this and realises what he’s doing – taking DNA samples from each of Pantheon of gods that he encounters. Unable to resist a villainous monologue, Gorr shouts back that she’s right – but that the Olympians were the last Pantheon that he needed a sample from to complete his plan – and now he’s got it. Gorr is then attacked by Zeus and a bitter fight ensues in which Gorr triumphs and badly injures Zeus (although he survives). However, in the chaos of battle, Mighty Thor gets separated from Mjolnir and turns back into Jane (who collapses due to her worsening cancer). Both Gorr and Zeus are stunned to see that Mighty Thor is a mortal – the former teleports away, while the latter orders his remaining soldiers to withdraw and allows Thor, Val, Jane and Sif to leave. Thor Bifrosts them back to Earth.

**END OF ACT 2**

ACT 3

Meanwhile, Love – now on her own in the oasis while Gorr is gone – happens to wander beyond the edge of the jungle into the Shadow World and sees the enslaved children and her father’s army of demons. Horrified, she runs back into the jungle. Not a moment laster, Gorr returns and we see him adding the sample of Olympian DNA to the Godbomb – it won’t be long now before its ready.

In New Asgard, Jane is rushed to hospital, and Thor tries to tell her not to pick up Mjolnir again as it will kill her – the scene from the movie is perfect and can remain unchanged. After this, Thor is suddenly contacted by Axl, who has managed to master his father’s abilities (no floating head though). Axl shows Thor where he and the other children are, and Thor recognises the galaxy, telling him that he’s on his way. Axl explains that Gorr has built a device capable of killing all gods across the galaxy: the Godbomb. Thor, Val, Sif, and the new Valkyrie Corps prepare to face the final battle, when suddenly Zeus arrives. He tells them that he’s had a change of heart – he now recognises the threat Gorr poses and witnessing Jane, a mortal, being prepared to give her life to save himself and other gods has made him feel ashamed of himself and other Olympians’ apathy and selfishness. Although he is too wounded to join in the fight, he gives Val his Thunderbolt to help them. Thor then transports them to Gorr’s planet.

A huge battle breaks out on Gorr’s planet. Thor and Gorr have a massive beat down, while Val and Sif command the Valkyrie Corps in fighting Gorr’s shadow monsters. In the chaos, Love sneaks off and frees the Asgardian children, who now join in the fight. The fight between Thor and Gorr goes much the same way as in the movie, with Gorr gaining the upper hand. At this moment, Stormbreaker communicates to Jane via Mjolnir that Thor, nay, the universe, needs her! Jane makes the fateful decision to pick up Mjolnir one last time and Stormbreaker transports her to Gorr’s planet using the Bifrost. Working together, Jane and Thor defeat Gorr (we still have “EAT MY HAMMER!!”), and using the same method as in the movie, manage to smash the Necrosword.

However, it is too late, as the Godbomb detonates, emitting a wave of pure black energy. With no time to lose, Jane summons Stormbreaker (Thor is preoccupied holding Gorr down) and throws herself in front of the explosion, absorbing it with both hammers. Every god across the universe, including Thor, Val and Sif and Zeus, is consumed in agony as the Godbomb threatens to end all of their lives. However, at the same time they see Dr. Jane Foster, the Mighty Thor, a mortal taking the full brunt of the explosion for them. A mortal, giving her life to save theirs. After enduring unimaginable pain, Jane absorbs the explosive energy, covering her body in a dark aura. Gorr is stunned by this, and seeing Jane’s courage, realises that in spite of their similarities (both powerless mortals cruelly condmened to die painful deaths), she never allowed her suffering to destroy her humanity, her kindness and her compassion. By contrast, Gorr knows now that he became the very thing he swore to destroy: a cruel, vengeful and despotic god. He knows that he must die for what he has done but asks that Thor look after his daughter when he is gone. After this, Jane releases the pent up energy into Gorr, destroying him. This final act exhausts Jane, causing her to drop both hammers and collapse. She then dies in Thor’s arms and once again the scene from the movie can be unchanged.

Epilogue

In the epilogue, we see Jane Foster’s funeral (attended by Thor, Darcy, Selvig and other science-y MCU characters like Bruce Banner, Shuri and Doctor Strange). We see Val and Sif marry and the latter become the Queen of New Asgard, as well as that witnessing Jane’s sacrifice really has changed the gods of the universe (including Zeus) by making them less selfish and more willing to help. We see Zeus ending droughts by making it rain, and Poseidon stopping tsunamis and so on. It is made clear that because of the sacrifice of Dr. Jane Foster, the Mighty Thor, the gods learned to be gods again, and because of that there will never be another Gorr. And the film still ends with Thor and Love.

Obviously, the first post-credit needs to be different, so you can throw in Kang or whatever.

Second post-credit stays the same.

Fin.

I like it quite a bit, definitely works better than what they gave us, and those battle scenes could've been pretty dang epic

I'm not big on the Sif thing mostly just because I always preferred Thor and Sif's relationship from the comics over Jane Foster, and I'd stick with saying Gorr was collecting the Gods blood rather than "DNA" (it's magic-y science, doesn't need to be over-explained)

But yeah, all in all, good work. If only you had a time machine and contacts at Marvel, lol.

It's an interesting take and there are lots of cool things in there. It really improves things to have Gorr more present and we getting to see more of his handiwork.

The main thing I'm not sure about is giving the ending all to Jane. It's still a Thor film and after he really wasn't the one to solve things in TDW, he just lets Surtur deal with Hela in Ragnarok, and him not being that strong in Endgame, it doesn't feel right to put him in the backseat when the climax comes. Even when he's appropriately bad ass in Infinity War he ultimately fails so he really doesn't have that many moments of big triumph in the MCU.

I'd probably also just put the daughter to use as his son was in the comics in the aftermath of the bomb, meaning the representation for Gorr's inner realization, as I'm not that keen on Thor now going around with a young daughter as I think that risks turning into the "annoying sidekick" trope in the future.

It's an interesting take and there are lots of cool things in there. It really improves things to have Gorr more present and we getting to see more of his handiwork.

Thanks! :)

The main thing I'm not sure about is giving the ending all to Jane.

Looking at it again, you might be right about that one. See, I wanted to emphasise the parallels between Jane and Gorr (something the movie hinted at but didn't really do anything with), but I may have taken it a tad too far.

I like it quite a bit, definitely works better than what they gave us, and those battle scenes could've been pretty dang epic

Thanks, dude! Its not everyday that someone tells you that you came up with a better story than a dude with an **Academy Award for Screenwriting**.

I'm not big on the Sif thing mostly just because I always preferred Thor and Sif's relationship from the comics over Jane Foster,

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. But all the same Sif should have had a much bigger role in the movie (and Korg a correspondingly lesser one). Sif really has been done dirty by the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"