Thor Movie News!!! (sony)

Article and a few responses from Cinematical:

Travolta to be Thor?
Posted Apr 1st 2006 1:30PM by Mark Beall
Filed under: Action & Adventure, Casting, Fandom, Scripts & Screenwriting, Comic/Superhero/Geek

Okay, I admit the title of this post is just a bit misleading - but I couldn't pass up the chance to write that sentence. It's possibly the funniest thing I've written in my career at Cinematical. Let's all just lock onto that mental image for a moment and have a really good laugh. Wow, okay. Now let's move on to some clarification about the Thor movie currently in the script writing stage. The role of the Marvel god has reportedly been landed by Rikki Lee Travolta, nephew to the famous disco star. Travola the younger is a classically trained Shakespearean actor who has done very well for himself on Broadway. He is also, apparently, a "highly decorated" martial arts expert and trained in hand-to-hand combat. His name has been tossed about before in relation to the role, although the film hasn't even landed itself a director yet. Hollywood Dot Com reports that geek favorite David Goyer, who is currently writing the script for the film, may be interested in helming the project as well.

Has anyone out there seen Rikki Lee on stage? I have no thoughts about the man, because I know almost nothing about him, except he was rumored for a while to play the new Bond and that his uncle may have been one of the worst things to happen to a Marvel flick in recent memory. However, I do have plenty of opinion on David Goyer, and I'd be glad to see him in charge of the flick. Chime in with your thoughts on Rikki Lee, or with suggestions for a better casting choice.
ReadPermalinkEmail thisLinking BlogsComments [4]
Recent Posts
New Line to Remake Torrente (4/01/2006)

DVD Companies That Rock, Part 1 (4/01/2006)

NYX Puts Dargis Up for a Pulitzer (4/01/2006)

Willis Talks Up Die Hard 4 (4/01/2006)

Pfeiffer Could Use Some Hairspray (4/01/2006)

Reader Comments
(Page 1)
1. Rikkilee Travolta is 6'1, muscular, and has long flowing blond hair. Marvel could have (and has done) a lot worse. He was great in the otherwise awful film Twilight Serenade. I figure he can act it fine. It's a good casting choice. I'll see the movie with him playing Thor. It would be cool if they introduced him in Spiderman 3 in a little cameo before the big Thor movie. Maybe that's why they announced the casting now.

Posted at 4:24PM on Apr 1st 2006 by Mike 0 stars

2. Eh, Travolta would actually have been a better pick for Bond than Daniel Craig. Thor, um no. Not even close! Also who are these casting directors that are gung-ho on the Travoltas all of a sudden?

Posted at 8:17PM on Apr 1st 2006 by sherrell 0 stars

3. He looks like a Baldin.

Posted at 11:09PM on Apr 1st 2006 by Targ8ter 17 stars

4. Er, Baldwin. Stephen Baldwin.

Posted at 11:26PM on Apr 1st 2006 by Targ8ter

That guy looks a whole lot like this guy:

163_cojo2_ostudio_oprah_050923_et.jpg

The things that scares me the most in that particular article is the news that Goyer may direct. He's not equipped to handle the scope that a Thor movie should be. He can write the script, but I want an experienced director at the helm.

I think the problem with Rikki Lee Travolta isn't as bad as it seems since nobody here knows how good or bad he is from personal experience.

#1 He needs to get rid of the Rikki name if he wants to play Thor. Keep it Lee Travolta for God's sake.

#2 His face looks somewhat like John's. Are we all gonna be thinking Zucko when we're watching the film?

I wont believe it until Avi Arad comes out and says it himself.

Hopefully the movie gets made and is done well.

well if he does do the movie he need to grow a beard

I like the Travolta guy as a Thor option. Why?

He is an actor.
His face looks like Thor.
He is 6 ft. tall.
If they can bulk up Toby Maguire, they can get this guy pretty ripped.

I would like either this guy, or a dude like the Vikings in the 13th Warrior. :up:

Vladimir Kulich is his name. I personally think he'd make a better Omega Red than Thor.

I wasn't suggesting that this guy be cast as Thor, just an example of how a random Viking lookin' guy could work.

Advanced Dark said:
LOL hey I don't want Goyer doing anything but writing this.

^Yeah,he's a great writer,but we need a great director who can filter out the crap from his script.

Advanced Dark said:
I think the problem with Rikki Lee Travolta isn't as bad as it seems since nobody here knows how good or bad he is from personal experience.

#1 He needs to get rid of the Rikki name if he wants to play Thor. Keep it Lee Travolta for God's sake.

#2 His face looks somewhat like John's. Are we all gonna be thinking Zucko when we're watching the film?
or rick travolta?

Mr. Green said:
I wasn't suggesting that this guy be cast as Thor, just an example of how a random Viking lookin' guy could work.

Ok, gotcha. He's been mentioned by some in the past as a candidate b/c of his role in The 13th Warrior.

Thor's armor needs little to no modification for the big screen. The biggest decision in Thor's film look will probably be "beard or no beard?".

I would bet some serious cash that on the big screen Thor will NOT have a beard. They will probably go with the look most used in the comics.

Plus, Thor's costume probably will look way different than the classic look. Maybe something more like his "King Thor" outfit. Less yellow and blue, and maybe a different color cape.

EDIT: Basically a flashier version of the pics above.

I agree with the whiskers comment. A large Viking mustache with a short clipped beard would do wonders. Anyone any good at adding that to a existing photo????

Goyer just screened his newest film "Invisible" and it got a so so review. It sounds a bit better than Trinity but nothing fancy.

If this guy is indeed Thor (latino review seems to have reported it as well)

TO ALL THE NAYSAYERS, READ THIS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikki_Lee_Travolta

AND THIS:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1306840/bio

Don't let the travolta moniker fool you, the guy is a top theatre actor, and unless they're doing the Ultimate thor (something tells me they aint, so classic thor it is) a pretty boy "cover boy of the month" actor ain't gonna cut it.

This guy has the acting chops to pull this role off. Thats all that matters. He might not have the build (as of yet) that thor requires, but then Niether did Tom Jane initially for The punisher. And Tom Jane in the end, WAS the punisher by, he was the best thing about that filick.

I think everyones main worry shouldn't be the casting - it should be David Goyer actually getting the directing gig for this flick. His scripts are only as good as the directors directing them.
And his track record as a director isn't that great (and thats being nice).

jmubaraki said:
If this guy is indeed Thor (latino review seems to have reported it as well)

TO ALL THE NAYSAYERS, READ THIS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rikki_Lee_Travolta

AND THIS:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1306840/bio

Don't let the travolta moniker fool you, the guy is a top theatre actor, and unless they're doing the Ultimate thor (something tells me they aint, so classic thor it is) a pretty boy "cover boy of the month" actor ain't gonna cut it.

This guy has the acting chops to pull this role off. Thats all that matters. He might not have the build (as of yet) that thor requires, but then Niether did Tom Jane initially for The punisher. And Tom Jane in the end, WAS the punisher by, he was the best thing about that filick.

I think everyones main worry shouldn't be the casting - it should be David Goyer actually getting the directing gig for this flick. His scripts are only as good as the directors directing them.
And his track record as a director isn't that great (and thats being nice).

Youre John Travolta arent you?

^ It's probably Rikki. FYI Tom Jane always had a good build as did Jackman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"