Ticket prices have been going up up and up this year?

spiderman2

Superhero
Reaction score
So I know that different movie theaters charge different amounts for movies. But I have noticed this year that the price to go to the movies has been going up a crazy amount. I went and saw Thor last night liked it a lot more then 1 or 2 but that is not saying much has 1 and 2 where not good movies. Any way I think it was the first movie I had seen since Spider-Man HC and the price to see the movie went up like another .40 or something. Not only that but no joke I think ever time I have went to the movies this year the price for a ticket has went up from the time before. Its like are the ticket prices even going to stay stationary for like more then 1 month lol. For that movie theater tickets now cost 12.40 when I went and saw my first movie this year Logan I think it was in March tickets only cost like 10.7. So that means just from March to November so like 8 months tickets went up a whole 1.7 that is nuts. Has it been like that for ever one else and there theaters?

Prices haven't really gone up around me. But, there is rather stiff competition.

Since my local theater opened about oh... 7 years back. It has gone up a total of 59 cents. Which has been great for me.

Since my local theater opened about oh... 7 years back. It has gone up a total of 59 cents. Which has been great for me.

While 59 cents in 7 years is nothing you are lucky. like I said my theater has went up like a $1.70 just this year. For just a year I think that is a lot kind of getting annoying. Also it went up I think like 20 cents towards the end of last year. So its 12.40 now. I think at the end of last year before it started to go up is was 10.50. So if it like continues to go up like this it will be like 14.40 by the end of next year.

For me the prices went up as soon as they all upgraded to the fancy easy chairs, some more than others. Because I try to get to an early show it isn't as bad. I wouldn't go at night, it would easily cost me ten bucks more for the two of us. :(

This is gonna sound like an advertisement, but you should invest in MoviePass... I haven't paid money for a movie ticket since I got it.

And as for my theater, they haven't gone up even though they are upgrading their seats for loungers. Matinee price here is $4.60.

This is gonna sound like an advertisement, but you should invest in MoviePass... I haven't paid money for a movie ticket since I got it.

Honestly, I don't think I go enough now for that to be worth it. I'm at maybe 5 or 6 times a year, tops. It's not just money, it's time. But I can see how that would be good for a lot of people. :)

And as for my theater, they haven't gone up even though they are upgrading their seats for loungers. Matinee price here is $4.60.

What is moviepass like? I do go to the movies more then some people but not a crazy amount. I would guess around 10 times or so a year.

After doing a full-on theater remodel, our best local theater has gone up on prices.
The prices aren't too outrageous, though. To see Thor, it was $23 for two tickets.

I doubt Moviepass is going to work for me, as most of the time I go to the movies, it is for a special event. Just gotta see my operas and rifftrax.

I do love the wide variety my area has. There are pretty much 4 main theaters in my area. You have the budget on, which prices start at $2.50 for a show before noon, to the more expensive ones with the nicer accomendations, though the AMC is looking to be about $12 for an evening show. The theater I go to the most, mainly because it is around the corner, maxes out at $9.75 for an evening show, I think. But again, my special events cost more.

I pay $25/ticket for Dolby/IMAX in Manhattan, $20 in Brooklyn. $12-15 for normal showings. Prices seem to go up about $1 every year or two.

Tickets where I live have been slashed. Our third biggest cinema chain went from charging $18.50 for a regular ticket to $10 about 6 months ago. I thought it was just some short-term promotional thing but it's permanent, they basically installed self serve ticketing machines so who knows how many staff they laid off. The other two cinema chains followed suit dropping their prices to about $13 for a regular ticket from a high of $21. To put it in perspective I was paying $12.50 for tickets in the early 00's.

Tickets where I live have been slashed. Our third biggest cinema chain went from charging $18.50 for a regular ticket to $10 about 6 months ago. I thought it was just some short-term promotional thing but it's permanent, they basically installed self serve ticketing machines so who knows how many staff they laid off. The other two cinema chains followed suit dropping their prices to about $13 for a regular ticket from a high of $21. To put it in perspective I was paying $12.50 for tickets in the early 00's.

I only recently noticed this in Adelaide, too. Both Event and Wallis. I got a couple of $12 tickets and assumed it was a promo thing... But it's still here. Good for me, bad for the employees, I assume (though I haven't noticed anymore self-serve machines than usual).

First I have heard of self serving ticketing sucks for people find or losing a job though. Man 21 for a ticket a regular ticket is nuts!

Everything is getting more automated now. :(

First I have heard of self serving ticketing sucks for people find or losing a job though. Man 21 for a ticket a regular ticket is nuts!

Touch the movie session you want, pick your seat, tap your card and you're done. Takes all of 90 seconds. Ticket prices are crazy expensive down here, or they were at least.

Only thing I noticed is the price for the snacks/food has gone up :(

I just buy my snacks from the supermarket before I go in. No way am I paying $3.50 for bottled water.

Well, I buy a drink and popcorn when I go to the operas. Generally, at least 2 intermissions, 10-15 minutes each. I abuse the hell out of the free refills.

My bargain theater isn't too bad with concession prices.

Not sure about snacks/food where I am but I only buy stuff like half the time I go to the movies so I guess I don't really pay attention to it like I do the ticket prices.

The more share studios take from movie tickets, the higher popcorn sales are going to go.

Only slight increase on the theatres around here after the minor upgrades.

Ticket prices have definitely gone up around my way. I guess AMC charges more than Carmike, and they bought out the Carmike theatres around me. Plus two other theatres have closed down so there isn't a lot of competition.

What is moviepass like? I do go to the movies more then some people but not a crazy amount. I would guess around 10 times or so a year.

If you go at least twice a month, then it's worth it. Hell, you might actually go to the theater more once you start using it. I know i've used it a least 5 times from this month alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"