TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

I agree TIH is still canon to the "FILM" Universe.

But regular audience
will NOT get lost in the Avengers 2012 if they did NOT see TIH.

The films of Ironman, Thor, and Captain America has so much of an impact that everyone has to watch them before they watch the Avengers film to truly experience the whole scope.

TIH, however does not. The movie is NOT BAD but it does not compare to the other 3.

Those 3 were ORIGIN STORIES. TIH is NOT. Unless you count the opening credits.

Hulk's Origin can simply be explain in one line in the Avengers film as a brilliant scientist who is an expert in Gamma Radiation who became the powerful Hulk.

I'm NOT SAYING IT'S NOT CANON.

I'm saying that general audience will not miss anything in Aveners if TIH was never made.

TIH is an AVERAGE Superhero Movie at best

Well, that's completely different from "Eric Bana and Ed Norton will be wiped out of the Marvel Movie Continuity." For once, Bana's movie is already out. Which I consider less and less a bad thing.

So far we don't know if TIH is going to be "wiped out", it is directly related to this and always was partofb the Marvel continuity. And we neither know if you need to see Thor and Iron man 1 and 2 in order to enjoy The Avengers.

But Iron Man 2 and Thor were not much better than TIH. All of them followed the same Marvel formula. I know TIH had a better love story than Thor.

As of now I still think it's very possible that it is Avengers what I'm going to be forgetting and not Iron man, Thor and The Incredible Hulk.

Last edited:
What Payaso said.

I watched Hulk today. Right after The Godfather too, so if there was one movie that would make it look like crap, it would be that.

I still like it to a certain degree. So I voted for it.

I know people are entitled to their opinions but i don't understand why they prefer TIH over Ang's.

Ang's comes closest to portraying Hulk as an actually character of his own, with his own personality and his own mind. Ang's has the best action scenes and "Hulk outs". It has the best characterisation, specifically for Bruce and General Ross. Ang's is more accurate to the comics. It has the better CGI and the Hulk looks like the Hulk, instead of an oversized steroid using body builder who has painted themselves green. Ang's has anger, as an emotion, powering Hulk. Not a raised heart beat.

For me Ang's is just so superior it's not even a contest. I still enjoy TIH, particularly Tim Roth.

The best part of TIH was the first act. The whole premise of Bruce hiding in Brazil, trying in vein to find a cure; brilliant. And a pitch perfect mixture of the comics and the classic TV series.

That said, after he exits Brazil, the film needed to have much more substance than simply his reunion with Betty, and Ross' obsession with the Hulk. That's where they should have really delved into the Hulk and Bruce as characters.

Yea I really enjoyed the first third of the film.

I also think it should have shown more conflict in Ross. He should be torn between catching Banner and the feelings of his daughter. He didn't seem to give a crap about her until she nearly got killed. Which was his fault anyway.

Not to mention, no one can top Sam Elliot in that role. :o

Him and JK Simmons should do a buddy cop movie together.

I didn't particularly like either but at least TIH didn't take two and half hours to end.

I know people are entitled to their opinions but i don't understand why they prefer TIH over Ang's.

Ang's comes closest to portraying Hulk as an actually character of his own, with his own personality and his own mind. Ang's has the best action scenes and "Hulk outs". It has the best characterisation, specifically for Bruce and General Ross. Ang's is more accurate to the comics. It has the better CGI and the Hulk looks like the Hulk, instead of an oversized steroid using body builder who has painted themselves green. Ang's has anger, as an emotion, powering Hulk. Not a raised heart beat.

For me Ang's is just so superior it's not even a contest. I still enjoy TIH, particularly Tim Roth.

Simply that some people were going into a Hulk film expecting a fun action-fest, that is what TIH delivered whilst Ang's Hulk was more of a thought provoking movie, not what everyone wanted from a Hulk movie. As they stand, I like both movies equally for different reasons, had there been a directors cut of TIH including the deleted scenes I feel it would be my favourite by a fair margin.

Just to add, you say Hulk looks more like Hulk in Ang's, many would argue that TIH was a closer representation of the character, personally, as there have been so many different versions of him in the comics I don't think there is a clear cut look for the character.

I still love Hulk. It's one of those movies I never understood how it didn't catch on as I think it's one of the better super hero movies that exist to this day.

With that said I really enjoyed TIH. Then again I love most things that include the Hulk.

It's really hard for me to pick one but if I have to say which one is the better movie then I'd go with Hulk.

I'm really amazed that the poll is so even. TIH was clearly the most fast-paced popular one and not a bad movie at all.

I didn't particularly like either but at least TIH didn't take two and half hours to end.

That is pretty much it, there are good elements in both films, but the great Hulk movie has yet to be made. I prefer watching TIH because it has the 'man on the run seeking a cure' dynamic from tv show and comics, but, I prefer watching a good episode of the tv show to either movie.

I am one of the few people who enjoyed both. The 2003 film had a lot of deep moments, but it did drag sometimes. The 2008 one was more "fun" though, but it lacked a lot of the important psychological stuff that makes the Hulk the Hulk.

I don't even think the slow moving nature of Hulk is what I disliked about it.

If anything, it was Nolte's over the top performance, and that whole weird, ectoplasmic ending.

TIH. by far. But Jennifer Connelly's Betty was 100 times better than Liv Tyler's. Ang Lee's version had its moments, I actually liked the Hulked out Dog fight. Elliott and Hurt, for me, both did fine. Norton I thought was way better. He had the paranoia down perfectly. imo, he seemed genuinely afraid of turning into the Hulk. Lee making his father the absorbing man, I thought it was completely idiotic.

As far tying the transformation into the heart rate, they kind of go hand in hand. When you get angry/enraged, your heart rate goes up. that's a fact. I thought having the wrist monitor was a great idea. It enabled him to check himself, which made the paranoia even more real that he didn't want to turn, no matter what. Though, I didn't know you could hulk out when horny...that was pretty stupid, but I thought it worked well, other than that.

I liked the comic paneling when they went from scene to scene in ang lee's. that was cool.

Neither for me, actually.

Ang Lee's HULK was melodramatic, too heavy handed, and too artsy fartsy. Not enough pure visceral fun.

The Incredible Hulk is conversely too dumb, too bland, and it's action and scale pales in comparison to even Ang's HULK film. Not to mention the CGI was atrocious.

We are finally gonna see the Hulk he was meant to be seen on the live action screen in the Avengers, an actual talking, interacting with people Hulk, like in the comics.
Joss Whedon knows what he is doing, he will get the Hulk right, and he will be such a hit with audiences that he will get another movie to himself.

I can't hate Lee's Hulk, despite its flaws. I admire the way it approaches the characters as human beings, especially with Banner and Betty. Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly are still probably my favorite screen iterations of those characters (as well as Sam Elliot). I dig Hulk himself as well, I liked his face and how emotive it was even if the CG is dated now and he looked a bit too soft. A lot of the editing and third act are ridiculous, though.

I can't hate Lee's Hulk, despite its flaws. I admire the way it approaches the characters as human beings, especially with Banner and Betty. Eric Bana and Jennifer Connelly are still probably my favorite screen iterations of those characters (as well as Sam Elliot). I dig Hulk himself as well, I liked his face and how emotive it was even if the CG is dated now and he looked a bit too soft. A lot of the editing and third act are ridiculous, though.

I don't hate it either. It's easily the better film than TIH. It's just a tad too melodramatic, and the comic scene editing is jarring.

But the rest was solid. I love Sam Elliott's Thunderbolt Ross. I like the repressed Banner that Bana portrays.

And I actually don't find Hulk to be "soft" looking at all. He's huge, as he should be, with realistic musculature. Relaxed when it needs to be, ripped when he's doing something to exert the muscles.

The CGI from ILM in 2003 is light years better than whoever did the CGI five years later for TIH in 2008.

In fact the 2003 CGI stands up better right now, then the 2008 stuff does.

I appreciate that Ang treated the material seriously, albeit for the Hulk, a little too seriously.

With the Hulk you have to walk a fine line of being traumatic and haunting, but also be fun and adrenaline educing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"