TIH vs. Ang Lee's Hulk

Where did I post that?:woot:
Right here:
Why are you people so obsessed with Hulk's strength?

Because Hulk is! That's his thing!!
He doesnt have super speed. He can't defy gravity. He cant read minds or shoot beams out of eyes. Hes strong and near impervious and gets stronger with no upper limit, with anger.

"HULK SMASH??"

"HULK IS THE STRONGEST THERE IS!!"

ETC ETC......

So yes....I'm buying my movie ticket to see a lot of this!! :woot:

:bh::bh:

Right here:

Where??

CConn: But that's not what we're complaining about.

The quality of the psychobabble in the movie is debatable to be sure - and I wouldn't fault anyone for saying that it was boring, or overly complex.

But you were saying that Hulk should be all smash and strength, etc. And that's what we raised issue with.
You quoted me as saying that that the Hulk was"ALL" about strength.

That means "only". I don't see that in my post. :yay:

I said that he is about that! And indeed he is more about Strength than the other stuff.

Hulk aint trying to figger out a lot of stuff. He wants to smash stuff.

There's always the backstory.....I get that...But Ang had too much in his movie! It got stupid! It was over kill.

The second movie had a nice balance. Hulk just didnt seem as powerful. That's the only thing I didnt like in that movie.

Last edited:
You quoted me as saying that that the Hulk was"ALL" about strength.

That means "only". I don't see that in my post. :yay:

I said that he is about that! And indeed he is more about Strength than the other stuff.
That's rather semantical, but okay, let me rephrase, to even think that the Hulk is "more about strength than the other stuff" shows that you do not have even a basic knowledge of the character's comic book history.

Hulk aint trying to figger out a lot of stuff. He wants to smash stuff.
No, actually, it A LOT of his comic book appearances, the Hulk is just as obsessed with Banner as Bruce is obsessed with the Hulk.

Hulk's motivation has, for years, been one of two things; either he wants to be left alone (IE: NOT smash things), or he's trying to force Banner's consciousness out of his psyche.

It's very few and far between where Hulk just wants to smash things.
There's always the backstory.....I get that...But Ang had too much in his movie! It got stupid! It was over kill.
And see, that bit of opinion isn't bad.
The second movie had a nice balance. Hulk just didnt seem as powerful. That's the only thing I didnt like in that movie.
It really didn't have a good balance, because it didn't delve into Hulk's psychology at all.

That mirror scene in Ang's Hulk pretty says it all about the what the character's about.
If TIH had even one scene like that then it would have gone up from mediocraty.

I felt TIH was a stronger film. Ang's film had more depth, but it didn't come off as organically as TIH. When Nolte goes off on his tangent, it's over the top and non-sensical. TIH flowed much more organically and offered better actions sequences.

Oh. You know what else I liked about Hulk? The score.

It was Elfman's best outside of his usual Tim Burton/Gothic fair.

I felt TIH was a stronger film. Ang's film had more depth, but it didn't come off as organically as TIH. When Nolte goes off on his tangent, it's over the top and non-sensical. TIH flowed much more organically and offered better actions sequences.

I agree with this :cool:

Honestly, from the Hulk comics I've read (Lee's original run, some of PAD, Pak, and now Aaron), they really aren't all that action packed. I mean, they'll be giant gamma-enhanced battles, but the focus of pretty much every Hulk story I've read has been his psychology.

I really think all those people who complained of not enough Hulk Smash really didn't understand the character much at all.

Why are you people so obsessed with Hulk's strength?

It's like the least interesting thing about the character. Psychobabble is at the core of who the Hulk is.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

I haven't read a massive amount of Hulk comics, but I've read a solid amount from most eras of the Hulk's history, and that sense of psychology has always been present.

If there was one time where they shied away from his psychology, it would've been during Planet Hulk, and even in that story, it was more about character interaction and drama and social commentary than Hulk just beating things up.

Well said. :up:

Oh. You know what else I liked about Hulk? The score.

It was Elfman's best outside of his usual Tim Burton/Gothic fair.

Absolutely. It's really the best theme I've heard for a superhero film, just opening theme builds that sense of tragedy and anger :up:

I haven't seen either in a long time. You guys have convinced me to give them another go.

Y'know, I never really consider myself a big Hulk fan, but the more I talk about the topic, the more I realize how much I really dig - and, i hope, understand - the character. :up:

First and foremost sorry for the long post and for my English.. :D

To me Ang’s Hulk is far superior to TIH both as a movie and as a Hulk movie…

Let me try and break it down:

Acting:
-Hulk: Acting was awesome, but sometimes over the top (Banna and Nolte)… Conelly and Eliot were awesome for their roles… Actors managed to make me love or hate their respective characters and there was chemistry between them which made me care for the characters thus making the whole movie experience worthwhile…
-TIH: Seemed to me that actors didn’t put much effort in it and generally lacked charisma (and it’s not just script… good actor would make even the stupidest sentence sound awesome and meaningful… Just look at McKellen, Molina and the likes :D)… Lack of chemistry between Tyler and Norton really killed it for me… Only one that was good was Tim Roth.

Script/Themes:
-Hulk: Loved that they tried to do something different and break the formula… Essentially the formula is still there, but is done from different angle. Hulk’s/Banner’s psychological issues are what character is all about (even in comics) and I love that they focused on that. Hulk is both byproduct and manifestation of Banners inner demons, and they got that right, and that is what matters to me. Bassicaly the script itself is very simple and can be summed up in a 2-3 sentences, but how they showed characters is what made the script shine… It’s not very faithful to the comics and, for me, it did not hurt the overall movie since I’m not that of nitpicker and I see the movies as an “alternate universe” to comics, and as long as the movie is good and the characters are somewhat recognizable, I’m fine.
-TIH: Again, script itself is not bad. It is logical Hulk script, and I kinda liked it. It had everything the Hulk movie “sequel” should have. What I didn’t like is how it was presented, and general lack of acting/directing effort killed the good script… Point is they presented it as a formulaic action movie and killed any depth the script had (I mean, you got mentally unstable man who can turn into a monster, a ticking bomb if you will, on the run from some covert military group, and enough character interactions to make the best thriller/horror movie ever…)… Again, the script was not faithful to the comics, but I do not mind…

Directing:
-Hulk: Ang did a better job. Like I stated before, character interactions were better (director had to do something with it, right), atmosphere was better, and buildup toward the action sequences was soooo good it actually made me care about smashing and explosions and stuff… I love that the action sequences were not only “Hulk smash, rarrghh, and then something explodes awesomely” but were presented with so much emotions which has to do with previous buildup and characters themselves… The director/studio/team made a fine film with this.
-TIH: Leterrier is not good director, in my opinion, and was not the right man for a Hulk movie… Hulk movie needs to have something more than pretty action and I think that director failed… Though, it might be studio interference or other stuff…

Hulk/villains:
-Hulk: Better developed as a character. He didn’t need to talk to be expressive, and I love that he had both angry and calm “phases”… Yes, he had dumb facial expressions when he was calm, but I find that it made him more likeable because he was nothing more than a psyche of a troubled child and it worked for me. Visually, he was fine and I liked that he wasn’t always tense, flexed bulging muscles and that he had more “tissue” instead only muscles and skin. It made him more organic and imposing. Nolte made good over-the-top villain and the only thing that I didn’t like was that they didn’t use established comic book villain. Dogs were fun.
-TIH: This version was also fine visually, but as a character he somewhat lacked. Yes, he, in all his CGI glory, was still the best developed character in the movie and the one that showed the most of emotions. Wasn’t fan of ‘roided veiny look, but am not against it either. Abomination was awesome! I was not the fan of the look until I saw it in motion. He looked intimidating and too bad that he didn’t appear in better movie…

Score:
-Hulk: Love it, main theme is haunting…
-TIH: Haven’t remembered any of it… 

The most memorable scenes:
-Hulk: “Puny human!”-shivers-, every Hulk-out, Banner Sr.’s experiments in intro, entire underground base-desert sequence, final battle
-TIH: final battle, Hulk’s arm emerges after Banner’s fall, “Is that all you got?”

I think the thing that killed Ang's Hulk was timing of the release... If it was released today, it would get better reckognition and praise. We have more "deep and phylosophical" superhero movies today, and it would fit right there...

The i don't get, and will never get, is people who say TIH had better action. It baffles the mind. Nothing comes close to the desert scene.

hulktank.gif

hulkjump.gif

That desert scene was incredible. Among one of the best action sequences in a super hero movie.

The SM2 train fight between Spidey and Doc Ock, Nightcrawler in the White and Hulk fighting off the military in the desert are action pieces that do a good job of encompassing the best moments of action from the respective characters comic history.

Yea, i'd probably choose those 3 as best action scenes in the superhero genre.

I've never been as impressed with X2's White House fight as most people, I liked Iron Man's battle with the Hammer drones and Thor's "Frost Giant" battle much more.

eh, I didn't think shazam's posts were bad, pretty harmless, just having a laugh while responding type of thing.

The i don't get, and will never get, is people who say TIH had better action. It baffles the mind. Nothing comes close to the desert scene.

hulktank.gif

hulkjump.gif

Preach it brother! I'm fine with people saying they prefer TIH but when they insist it had a lot more action (and better action) is just plain wrong.

Preach it brother! I'm fine with people saying they prefer TIH but when they insist it had a lot more action (and better action) is just plain wrong.

No, it's not wrong. It's an opinion. Yes, the desert scene in Hulk was awesome, but overall, TIH had better action scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"