The Dark Knight Rises Time Frame of the Movie?

Bruce Malone

Superhero
Reaction score
If this falls under other threads by all means close. But ideally for what time frame would you like to see the new Batman film pick up from? From BB to TDK it seemed like a short period maybe months? Begins ended with Gordon informing Batman of the Joker and TDK started with him appearing.

But with Batman on the run at the end of TDK its plausibble the movie could pick up years since TDK. Which would you prefer an almost direct continuation from the last or one that take place some time down the line?

interesting thread. I would like to see it pick up right after the events in the dark knight, maybe a month at the latest.

The fact that there will be a real time descrepance of maybe 4 years btw the 2 films combined with the fact that Nolan seems to like defining his bat films somewhat unique from each other, points to me that I do not think there will be a close time frame btw the 2 films events.

1 year between BB and TDK - 'a year ago these cops and lawyers....'. Id like the same time period between 2 and 3. First trilogy covers the first three years. Also if the third film begins (likely) with a new cave and car a fair amount of time would of passed.

I see it taking place straight after TDK events. You shouldn't skip past those things. Because it will bring down good potential drama of how Gotham City responds and copes with those events.

Who replace Harvey as DA?
What will Gotham City descend into?
Which mob bosses will try and takeover the City?
Will Ramirez blackmail Gordon into giving her money to provide for her sick mother,in exchange for her silence? (A nice contrast to Reese with his secret and blackmailing attempt)
What will happen to Reese? Will Riddler hunt him to find out Batman's identity?
How will Batman himself cope with these events?

I think the 3rd film could work with starting a couple months after the end of TDK. When the initial shock of Batman's actions have sunk in with the cops and public and people are starting to wonder if he is ever going to show his face again...

I wouldn't want them to begin the sequel too long after TDK. Maybe six months. Maybe a year. At most.

Since Nolan loves Long Halloween/Dark Victory, I'd love for him to bring in Janice Porter as the new DA. That'd be a great nod to the comics.

And I'd really love for Nolan to delve into the mixing of mob and freak. He showed us the mob using freaks to their own ends, but the freaks ending up destroying the mob. And that was awesome. Now they should show us the mixing. Penguin and Black Mask fit this role perfectly. They're at war with each other over who gets Gotham.

Bob Hoskins as Penguin and Guy Pearce as Black Mask. Hoskins is perfect for Penguin. He's only 5'6, and looks a lot like Penguin from the comics. Compared to Philip Seymour Hoffman who is 5'9.5". Guy Pearce is perfect for Black Mask in that he can be and does look like the anti-Bruce Wayne. Good looking, rich, but emotionally and morally bankrupt. Companies struggle and hemorrhage money, he can play a really good, classy kind of bad guy and is a great actor. And since he isn't that great a businessman(he was given everything he has, never earned it), his companies could fail and Wayne could bail them out, furthering his hatred for Bruce Wayne and pushing him further into his Black Mask persona.

Which could greatly mirror Bruce's own troubles. Batman being hunted by the cops even more viciously than before, no one publicly on his side. Pushing Bruce more and more into his "Bruce" persona. But, Bruce being Bruce, he feels guilty over what's going on. He tries to make up for it by building the Thomas and Martha Wayne Foundation. I think that'd be a really cool dynamic for this movie.

And since this isn't the Batman 3 story ideas thread, I'll stop there.

A year or so I can see go by but nothing more and nothing immediately following TDK either. Too many questions that need to be answered within a considerable amount of time. If the citizens of Gotham are pissed off at Batman, after a couple months or so of mourning the death of Harvey and devastation the Joker caused, the people will want answers. Eventually after a couple years of searching one or two people will want to do something drastic to pull Batman out of hiding and I don't think they'll wait more than two years, in the TDK Universe time-line, to do so.

Last edited:
a year could be good, jump right into batmans new routine. having an at least partially functional batcave and such. could be good.

I'd say six months to a year, mostly because Bruce needs time to get over Rachel so he can carry on a romance with someone else (ideally Catwoman). I'm assuming the next movie will have a love interest, of course.

6 months to a year after the first film.

How long was the mob in jail for? I forget.

I'd like the film to pick up where TDK left things and show us what has changed now that Batman is on the run.
Then Nolan can skip a few months and continue from there. TDK had a linear storytelling and covered barely a month, while Begins covered about 20 years. B3 could cover a whole year skipping through the months.

A year so Bruce can move back into the rebuilt Wayne manor with a new Batcave and Batmobile. Perhaps the public growing a little restless with Batman not being captured yet as well could create some cops and the gernal public to question Gordons authority which might create a bit of drama.

I'd say a year or two, I think having the movie pick up where film one left off really doesn't leave any breathing space for other things to have happened to Bruce or Gotham City.

I'd like the film to pick up where TDK left things and show us what has changed now that Batman is on the run.
Then Nolan can skip a few months and continue from there. TDK had a linear storytelling and covered barely a month, while Begins covered about 20 years. B3 could cover a whole year skipping through the months.
my thoughts exactly mate, i think thats the best way to go since there are gonna be a lot of things to cover.

I agree, plus we all know Nolan has previous examples of a non-sequential (if that's the term I'm looking for) style of film-making. There's no reason why things can't be explained in flashback, he did it well in Begins.

I'd like for B3 to either pick up no later than 6 months after TDK, Batman becoming the "bad guy" in Gotham's eye is too good to skip a year ahead. The opening of the film could start immediately after Dent's funeral and show how Gotham becomes divided between those who think Batsy has gone bad and how other still have faith in Batman and just don't believe he'd do such a thing...like a 70/30 split. Citizens would have public protests wanting Batman to turn himself in or leave Gotham, the Batman supporters would try to be a voice of reason. I definitely think there should be a scene of Batman & Gordon secretly meeting, Gordon could ask him to reconsider taking the fall for Two-Face, give Batman a "head's up" on when/how a task force is trying to find him.

I'd prefer 6 months after TDK too. There's so much going on at the end of TDK that we'd need to see some imeediate aftermath.

Although after watching the movie recently, the scene where Dent's talking to the mayor and says ".....18 months of clean streets....*, it might be interesting to see what happens when those 18 months are up - chaos?

interesting thread. I would like to see it pick up right after the events in the dark knight, maybe a month at the latest.

I concur; maybe from 2-6 months after. That will give more time to put prices on Bats head, Gotham to captivate more madness as Joker started, and for the Batcave and Wayne Manor to be up and running. :woot:

It would make more sense to have the third film take place in a time frame of six months to a year, but I would like it to be at least a year to eighteen months.

mmm, i'd say about two months if they choose straight after but I'd rather have six months.

1 year between BB and TDK - 'a year ago these cops and lawyers....'. Id like the same time period between 2 and 3. First trilogy covers the first three years. Also if the third film begins (likely) with a new cave and car a fair amount of time would of passed.

Na, I'd reckon it was about six months since BB.

I see it taking place straight after TDK events. You shouldn't skip past those things. Because it will bring down good potential drama of how Gotham City responds and copes with those events.

Who replace Harvey as DA?
What will Gotham City descend into?
Which mob bosses will try and takeover the City?
Will Ramirez blackmail Gordon into giving her money to provide for her sick mother,in exchange for her silence? (A nice contrast to Reese with his secret and blackmailing attempt)
What will happen to Reese? Will Riddler hunt him to find out Batman's identity?
How will Batman himself cope with these events?

I'd have Janice Porter take over, that or Rupert Thorne.
I'd imagine a lot of criminals starting to come to Gotham to take on the Batman i.e. Black Mask
I'd have Black Mask take over the mob with Penguin supplying him weapons with ideas of taking over.
I wouldn't wnat Ramirez to blackmail Gordon, more have her trying to hide her own deciet from Gordon.

If this falls under other threads by all means close. But ideally for what time frame would you like to see the new Batman film pick up from? From BB to TDK it seemed like a short period maybe months? Begins ended with Gordon informing Batman of the Joker and TDK started with him appearing.

But with Batman on the run at the end of TDK its plausibble the movie could pick up years since TDK. Which would you prefer an almost direct continuation from the last or one that take place some time down the line?

Depends on the story. I don't think there is a right or wrong time to pickup again as long as it supports the story.

Personally I would like for it to begin again at least a year later if not 2 or 3 years. Remember, there was no indication that the Batcave was close to being ready so for them to complete the Cave setup the way I want to see I say at least a year.

Now if they really want to get radical and take a great risk but potential big payoff, then do an adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns, minus Superman of course and make it 20 years after TDK.

4-6 months.

Wayne Manor will be finished, as well as an updated Batcave. I believe Alfred said Wayne Manor was almost finished anyways in TDK, or at least hinted it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"