• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

to those who watched it, QUESTIONS,REACTIONS, ETC.(Discussion Thread. Heavy Spoilers)

When I was growing up, just another kid from the bronx, what made a movie epic to me was how it jarred my imagination. Back to the future isn't epic in terms of elaborate sets and planet hopping like in star wars or operatic music, but it certainly feels like an epic as an overall experience showing me something I've never seen before in my young life. ET feels epic too, as do a lot of movies that have focus more on intimate moments between characters we like to watch than huge video-game fights and such from lord of the rings or the later star wars films. The comic book one probably refers to most as epic would be Superman The movie, which today seems cheesy but back when I first saw it, I mean... who doesn't remember the look on supes face when he saw Lois' dead body? That was more epic to me than him turning back time.

This film, I felt has moments that are epic in that sense. When Blaze walks toward blackheart at the end and ignites his head and his voice changes, that was some epic **** that gave me goosebumps. Seeing eva mendes in that blouse during the diner scene was more epic than I could handle... ;) Nic Cage in general was epic. The ride throught the desert, Sam elliot speaking with that voice of his was epic. To me anyway... I don't think I need to say that i'm not trying to convince anyone that this was a bonafide masterpiece though. Maybe the sequel will be, one can hope.

After seeing this movie for a second time, more loose ends are tied up with me. The first time that I saw it, I thought "Ok, some of this stuff is confusing", but it is wrapped up by the ending. Now that I know what is going on with The Hidden and Blackheart and Mephistoles, it makes more sense. Just my two cents ;)

Yeah, I got that, but still if a girl blew me off and didn't talk to me again for years, even if I knew she had gone through a huge traumatic event, I still wouldn't let her kiss me 15 minutes after the first time I see her again. I wouldn't show outright anger at her...but I'd be cooler acting towards her too, I wouldn't be really keen to set up a dinner date with her.

I don't know much about physics either...but they said in the movie the Rider only comes out at night, and I associate night with when the sun is not in the sky. During the final fight scene, the sun was definatley up, he was just in a bit of shadow. But not only that, when they said the Rider only came out at night, I assumed they were appealing to the age old implimented fear of the human physche. we associated night with danger, with evil, with the unknown. The Ghost Rider is a creature of Darkness, hence coming out only at night. Having him come out during the day, even in shadow....was just strange for me.

And still, if he can change into the rider in shadow during the day, why wouldn't he change back to Blaze during the night if he's in light?

It just didn't really make sense to me.

Now I don't want to sound like I'm slamming this movie too hard, I didn't hate it, I did like it, about as much as Daredevil...I just thought it should have been much better.

Maybe MSJ forgot he wrote that part in the script. I think he only used his first draft to shoot the film with.

Wow. Totally sucked. Very entertaining, and lots to laugh at though. Crappy CGI, and some sad acting. Like when he was turning back into himself after being Ghost Rider for the first time and just crawling on the grass. Very very sad. I definitely regret spending money to see that in theaters, but at least I can make fun of it with people.

Maybe MSJ forgot he wrote that part in the script. I think he only used his first draft to shoot the film with.

WTF people? It's so darn simple... the ghost riders powers can't work in sun light... shadow's are void of sunlight therefore the powers work in them...

damn, I'm not that smart and I can figure this out without much trouble... sometimes I wonder if some are grasping at straws with this film.

^ I agree it seems pretty simple to me maybe some people just need to see it again. He can't transform or use his power in sunlight its not that complicated.

Wow. Totally sucked. Very entertaining, and lots to laugh at though. Crappy CGI, and some sad acting. Like when he was turning back into himself after being Ghost Rider for the first time and just crawling on the grass. Very very sad. I definitely regret spending money to see that in theaters, but at least I can make fun of it with people.

Crappy CGI.....where?

I saw Ghost Rider yesterday and it´s worst movie of all time for me. Nicolas Cage is really bad actor and MSJ is terrible writer/director. This movie is like a bad joke. 0/10 for me. Daredevil was a good action movie, but GR is really bad. I´m completely disapointed.

I'm sorry but worst movie ever is an overreaction...you may not of liked it but it's not that bad. You need to see more movies if this is the worst you have experienced.

WTF people? It's so darn simple... the ghost riders powers can't work in sun light... shadow's are void of sunlight therefore the powers work in them...

damn, I'm not that smart and I can figure this out without much trouble... sometimes I wonder if some are grasping at straws with this film.

No, it is not stated that it can't work in sunlight, it's stated that he can't use his powers during the day, and that he can transform at night. This referres to the time of day, and I also took it, as I stated above, to infer to the long imbued mental aspect of day and night. We automatically associated night with danger, unknown, and evil, hence the Ghost Rider coming out at night because he is an unknown and dangerous creature.

And exactally how much lack of light are we talking here? Because in the final fight the shadows weren't that dark, you could still see pretty well in them. So can he transform in any partial shadow? Because he obviously doesn't have to have a total lack of light to transform.

And like I said above, how come he can transform during the night when he's in light? Many lightbulbs have natural light now a days...shouldn't that effect him?

I just thought it was a bad plot hole. Now, had they devoted more time into showing Cage trying to master his powers, and then show him struggling at the end and finally manage to call upon the rider during the day it would have made more sense...but unfortunatley they didn't go that way.

I'm sorry but worst movie ever is an overreaction...you may not of liked it but it's not that bad. You need to see more movies if this is the worst you have experienced.

I definatley agree with this. GR wasn't horrible, it was still enjoyable, it just wasn't as good as some wanted it too be. It was a fun popcorn flick, I just wanted it to be more.

No, it is not stated that it can't work in sunlight, it's stated that he can't use his powers during the day, and that he can transform at night. This referres to the time of day, and I also took it, as I stated above, to infer to the long imbued mental aspect of day and night. We automatically associated night with danger, unknown, and evil, hence the Ghost Rider coming out at night because he is an unknown and dangerous creature.

And exactally how much lack of light are we talking here? Because in the final fight the shadows weren't that dark, you could still see pretty well in them. So can he transform in any partial shadow? Because he obviously doesn't have to have a total lack of light to transform.

And like I said above, how come he can transform during the night when he's in light? Many lightbulbs have natural light now a days...shouldn't that effect him?

I just thought it was a bad plot hole. Now, had they devoted more time into showing Cage trying to master his powers, and then show him struggling at the end and finally manage to call upon the rider during the day it would have made more sense...but unfortunatley they didn't go that way.

Ok ok... just take a step back with me and look at the big picture. that's all I ask.

You're asking someone to explain to you why a guy's magic flaming skull powers can work in shadows...

Ok ok... just take a step back with me and look at the big picture. that's all I ask.

You're asking someone to explain to you why a guy's magic flaming skull powers can work in shadows...

Well, I wouldn't be if they hadn't explicitly said that the Rider only comes out at Night. Having him use his powers during the day contradicts that. And like I said, all you would have had to do was show Blaze trying to control his powers and working to improve them over a course of time, and then, showing that all his practice paid off, summon the Rider when everyone else thought it wasn't possible. It really could have been a cool scene, showing that Blaze is even more powerfull then the other riders.
I could just imagine it.

Blackheart stands over Blaze, just ready to kill him, Blaze is on the ground a look of intense concentration on his face.

BH: (smiling) You can't summon the rider now you fool, the sun is up. You're done.

JB: (obviously struggling with the spirit within him, sweat dripping down his face).....no...(suddenly small plumes of smoke start floating up around Blaze's face, Blackheart stubled backwards, stunned)

BH: It's not possible....(Blaze lets out an agonized scream and as small amounts of flame begin to sprout up on his head. Then, there's a huge flash of light and Ghost Rider slowly stands to his feet.)

BH: NO! YOU CAN'T! The sun...you're powers...

GR: (grabbing Blackheart by the throat and hurling him backwards into a wall) I suppose I'm the exception to the rule. (Q big fight scene here)

Now, you may think I'm being nitpicky, but it's really just basic plot points. I don't like it when a movie sets up certain rules and then breaks them with no explanation.

Every movie has a reality that its supposed to operate in. You can't go and break your own internal reality.

Every movie has a reality that its supposed to operate in. You can't go and break your own internal reality.

Maybe in a perfect world that'd probably be true. Movies like spidey can do it when spidey's spidey sense doesn't work for some reason yet that movie was given the thumbs up from everyone.

Anyway, within my judgment infinity is assuming when slade told ghostrider his powers only work at night, that he meant night in a mystical sense rather than physical as in how dark it is. It's very difficult to apply real world physics to these comic book movies and I just don't know if it's worth spending time to think about...

From my knowledge of the light spectrum, sun light is different from fluorescent light and bla bla bla...yadda yadda yadda

[insert fanboy stuff here]

Well, I wouldn't be if they hadn't explicitly said that the Rider only comes out at Night. Having him use his powers during the day contradicts that. And like I said, all you would have had to do was show Blaze trying to control his powers and working to improve them over a course of time, and then, showing that all his practice paid off, summon the Rider when everyone else thought it wasn't possible. It really could have been a cool scene, showing that Blaze is even more powerfull then the other riders.
I could just imagine it.

Blackheart stands over Blaze, just ready to kill him, Blaze is on the ground a look of intense concentration on his face.

BH: (smiling) You can't summon the rider now you fool, the sun is up. You're done.

JB: (obviously struggling with the spirit within him, sweat dripping down his face).....no...(suddenly small plumes of smoke start floating up around Blaze's face, Blackheart stubled backwards, stunned)

BH: It's not possible....(Blaze lets out an agonized scream and as small amounts of flame begin to sprout up on his head. Then, there's a huge flash of light and Ghost Rider slowly stands to his feet.)

BH: NO! YOU CAN'T! The sun...you're powers...

GR: (grabbing Blackheart by the throat and hurling him backwards into a wall) I suppose I'm the exception to the rule. (Q big fight scene here)

Now, you may think I'm being nitpicky, but it's really just basic plot points. I don't like it when a movie sets up certain rules and then breaks them with no explanation.

Ok, I think I finally hit on your main issue with this. You have to read between the lines in this case.

When I was analyzing poetry for hours and hours at school, that's all we did, try to interpret what the author truly meant, by reading between the lines.

I think that's what we need to do with this. Trust me, if you tried to take poetry literally, you'd go insane.

The movie doesn't spoonfeed us the specifics of ghost rider's powers, but that's ok. Movies always do this, especially comic book movies I've spent years of my life discussing here. To this day, I have no idea how Spider-man's sign language web shooters work. But i just stopped caring.

Night is of course as we all know, a time when no sun light is available.

That's all there is to it. When slade says his powers only work at night, he means, they only work in the absence of sun light. I hope this clears that up... :csad:

Oh the irony.

Oh behave...

Have you been to the batman begins forum lately? Now I liked it for what it was worth kinda-almost-sorta seeing batman fight some thugs and Liam Neeson at the end but "best movie I've ever seen?"

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

The critics came in with too high of expectations, it was never intended to be a masterpiece. I was an entertaining way to waste two hours, nothing more.

Seen it three times so far.

Still enjoying it each time and the humour is a good release.

Great Job MSJ ... Great Job!

For startes, so Roxy see's Johnny again after a long amount of time, and the last time she saw him he blew her off. So does she display any real anger at him? No...she flirts with him when he rides after her....and she lets him kiss her. I mean, yeah she pushed away, but honestly, knowing that the last thing this guy did was blow you off when you were going to run off with him, and add in the fact that he hasn't talked to her in years, I highly doubt any girl would let the guy kiss her, let alone go out to dinner with him after.

I mean this in all seriousness...that's just how some girls are.

Guard, don't comment until you see it. As for what you're actually talking about, of course you can, especially if your mack is right.

When I was growing up, just another kid from the bronx, what made a movie epic to me was how it jarred my imagination. Back to the future isn't epic in terms of elaborate sets and planet hopping like in star wars or operatic music, but it certainly feels like an epic as an overall experience showing me something I've never seen before in my young life. ET feels epic too, as do a lot of movies that have focus more on intimate moments between characters we like to watch than huge video-game fights and such from lord of the rings or the later star wars films. The comic book one probably refers to most as epic would be Superman The movie, which today seems cheesy but back when I first saw it, I mean... who doesn't remember the look on supes face when he saw Lois' dead body? That was more epic to me than him turning back time.

This film, I felt has moments that are epic in that sense. When Blaze walks toward blackheart at the end and ignites his head and his voice changes, that was some epic **** that gave me goosebumps. Seeing eva mendes in that blouse during the diner scene was more epic than I could handle... ;) Nic Cage in general was epic. The ride throught the desert, Sam elliot speaking with that voice of his was epic. To me anyway... I don't think I need to say that i'm not trying to convince anyone that this was a bonafide masterpiece though. Maybe the sequel will be, one can hope.

Oh, the great memories man :up:

I have watched alot of comic book movies, mostly Batman, but I've seen everything from the Shadow with Alec Baldwin, to The Phantom with Billy Zane, up to the recent Batman Begins, Superman Returns, and of course, Ghost Rider.

Watching the trailers for this, I sensed that their was something about this film that was going to be really great. First, I thought that Nicholas Cage, finally putting his Comic book fanism into action was great, I mean, this man, this great actor, has been waiting for this moment for a looong time, and now he gets his shot.
Second, I am a Batman fan at heart, and I've always found Ghost Rider easier to relate to than say, The Fantastic Four, or the X Men, because he has that same element of early loss and betrayal, like Batman. Although if memory serves, in the comics it was his partner who had cancer, not his dad...
Anyways, I really was expecting alot out of this film.

So I saw it, and it is indeed a great movie. Alot of this film lived up to my expectations, many of the specific scenes blew me away. But there was something, I'm not quite sure what, that was missing. I really can't put my finger on it, but to me, it feels as though someone took an amazing picture, and cut out a corner of it. Its still really amazing, but you wonder what could have been in that little corner.

Anyways, thats my two cents. Awesome movie, not Spectacular, but really good. I still think Batman Begins is better, but then again, I am a Batman fan after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"