The Flash Tom Cavanaugh IS Harrison Wells/Eobard Thawne/Reverse-Flash - Part 1

Clearly Harrison Wells is much more than he says he is.

What is his obsession with keeping Barry safe ?
who is he really ?

What do you folks think ?

My theory, he's really Eobard Thawne, the Reverse-Flash.
(or maybe Abra Kadabra).
He's travelled back in time to make sure that he exists in the
future (which sounds crazy, but then Reverse Flash is a complete
nutcase). Which would explain him building the particle acceleration
and causing Barry's accident.

The fact that he's willing to murder to protect Barry strongly suggests that he has something personal to lose, if something happens to Barry.

I wonder if he took some personality traits from the real Wells - It would be interesting if taking the other person's genetics would alter Thawne in any way like that.

I'd like it if he did. For example, if he gained the intelligence to create the particle accelerator from Wells' brain, perhaps he also gets some personality traits. Would explain why he isn't just a raving lunatic now.

Tom Cavanaugh is so on point as Eobard as "Harrison Wells" that it's scary. One of the most interesting villain portrayals on TV and I'm talking Game of Thrones/Banshee/Black Sails levels.

On one hand you know he's evil. On the other, his warm fatherly nature to our heroes is absolutely genuine. It's chilling, that he'll kill someone he genuinely likes and apologise to them, while still being absolutely remorseless about it.

I wonder if he took some personality traits from the real Wells - It would be interesting if taking the other person's genetics would alter Thawne in any way like that.

I'd like it if he did. For example, if he gained the intelligence to create the particle accelerator from Wells' brain, perhaps he also gets some personality traits. Would explain why he isn't just a raving lunatic now.

I think Kreisberg in an interview/article on the most recent episode said as much. Wells' love for his wife bled through to Thawne. I'm sure other aspects as well.

Which year was it exactly when Eobard Thawne killed Harrison Wells?

I said it in the other thread, if the real Wells could somehow be restored, I wouldn't mind seeing him as a genuine good guy helping Barry, while facing off against the real Eobard Thawne.

Thawne could become an actual enemy to Wells as well as Barry, because Harrison would know that Thawne was responsible for killing his wife and stealing his life from him, and using his good name for evil purposes.

All that STAR labs should have been and what Wells would have intended it to be would have been corrupted by Thawne. That is a big reason enough for Wells, if he were somehow to come back, to also see Thawne as his arch enemy. He could make it his personal mission in life to bring down Thawne and destroy him, while helping Barry as the Flash.

It would also be cool to see a Wells helping Barry who is not as knowledgeable about the Speed Force and the whole workings of being a speedster, but just doing the best he can with his scientific knowledge to help Barry.

While it has been good seeing Cavanagh as evil Wells, I don't want him to be lost from the show completely if either the real Eobard takes over as the main villain or RF is defeated. It would be a way to keep Cavanagh on the show, and to breathe new life into his role as a true ally of Barry.

And we don't know about Matt Lescher. We've only seen a bit of him so far. He could easily become every bit as ruthless and memorable a villain as we've seen Wells as portrayed by Cavanagh.

real Wells is dead. somewhere there is his dead body from 15 years ago buried. only thing what left from real Wells is his"subconscious mind" and "memories". He could be restored and uploaded in some weird way into computer, but for me he would be like Zola. They could try do same thing they did with Firestorm, but not sure if would worked.

I'm an Italian guy and I really enjoy this forum

There're a couple of things that really I don't get and maybe you could help me to figure it out

Firstly, we know from the episode "Out of time" that when Barry goes back in time he replaces himself of the past, in other terms there's only a timeline. If this it's correct and the authors stick to this concept, as soon as the future Barry went back to the past he should have replaced himself as a kid??? Maybe this process requires a couple of seconds in which he fought with Reverse Flash and then he became Barry as a kid losing memories, so no more flash, no speedforce and as result Reverse Flash stuck into the past. This also means that the Future Flash didn't return to the future, simply disapper.

Secondly, why Reverse Flash didn't take the body and the dna of Barry just before the accelerator explosion, in this manner he would have become Flash with his powers and the access to the speedforce???

I think too that Doctor Wells could take Eddie's identity, but absorbing the feeling of the person in the process (as told us by the producer) this means that he could have feelings for Iris?? That's would be strange I agree with others hypotheses about Flash that as soon as his father is out of the jail will go back in time to save his mother and fixing the timeline we should resee doctor Wells, maybe only for a paradox time period.

Sorry my bad English, then that damn travel thing doesn't help at all :-)

The same year when he also killed Barry's mother. The year 2000.

I wasn't sure though if he waited a few years and observed Wells from a distance until the time that STAR labs was born as a concept in his mind. Otherwise, why not just create STAR labs and release the particle accelerator even sooner, shortly after 2000? Sure, he would end up with a kid Flash in the form of Barry, but he could have mentored him from an even earlier age and then accessed the speed force sooner.

And maybe young Barry might have been less suspicious of Wells as he wouldn't have had as much of a forensic and scientific mind yet, as it would be less developed.

Evil Cavanaugh > Good Cavanaugh. He's that awesome. He loses an aura if he turns good.

Plus you run the risk of the original Thawne not being as good of a villian as Cavanaugh.

Evil Cavanaugh > Good Cavanaugh. He's that awesome. He loses an aura if he turns good.

Plus you run the risk of the original Thawne not being as good of a villian as Cavanaugh.

Yup, it would be a big risk to swap one of the strongest points of the show for someone who may not do as good a job.

But you wouldn't swap it immediately. You'd develop the original Eobard Thawne alongside Harrison Wells and build him up, so that he is eventually seen as a strong villain in his own right.

I'm an Italian guy and I really enjoy this forum

There're a couple of things that really I don't get and maybe you could help me to figure it out

Firstly, we know from the episode "Out of time" that when Barry goes back in time he replaces himself of the past, in other terms there's only a timeline. If this it's correct and the authors stick to this concept, as soon as the future Barry went back to the past he should have replaced himself as a kid??? Maybe this process requires a couple of seconds in which he fought with Reverse Flash and then he became Barry as a kid losing memories, so no more flash, no speedforce and as result Reverse Flash stuck into the past. This also means that the Future Flash didn't return to the future, simply disapper.

Secondly, why Reverse Flash didn't take the body and the dna of Barry just before the accelerator explosion, in this manner he would have become Flash with his powers and the access to the speedforce???

I think too that Doctor Wells could take Eddie's identity, but absorbing the feeling of the person in the process (as told us by the producer) this means that he could have feelings for Iris?? That's would be strange I agree with others hypotheses about Flash that as soon as his father is out of the jail will go back in time to save his mother and fixing the timeline we should resee doctor Wells, maybe only for a paradox time period.

Sorry my bad English, then that damn travel thing doesn't help at all :-)
I think they're going to re-visit the timeline Barry left, so I think he created a new timeline and didn't replace himself.

Man, I am stoked. this is the first thread I've started that has needed to have a "Part 1"

Really though it's got to do with the amazing performance of Tom Cavanaugh and the superb care the writers have taken with the development of his character. There's always so much to talk about in relation to his character - great to see the Flash's nemesis get the treatment he deserves. Right now I would rate him as the 2nd best live-action super-villain ever ( in my book nobody beats Ledger's Joker, but the RF is pretty awesome).

The shape-changing metahuman explains Eddie's turn to cop shooting - damn, I was hoping that Eddie might move out of the picture, so to speak, so Barry and Iris could just get on with it. I like Eddie as a character, but the love triangle gets a bit tiresome - they really should just get on with it.

Also, sooner or later the RF will probably make good on his threat to Joe to kill Iris, although doing so may ultimately
lead to his demise, just like in the comics (well not quite like that, as RF actually kills Iris, it's his attempt to kill Barry's second fiance that is a step too far and ends up with Barry breaking his neck

Anyway, really stoked that people are still finding the character engaging and finding lots to talk about in relation to him.

Just a thought that maybe Wells does become Professor Zoom, giving up 'Eobard thawne" as he's a scientist etc and the reverse flash, he'd have a lot of knowledge and could still feel resentment towards the flash given that he caused a lot of this..in some sort of whacky "logic"

In regards to Dr. Wells' body which was asked about in the previous version of this thread. I was watching IGN's rewind of the teaser for upcoming episodes and they showed Joe, Cpt Lance from Arrow uncovering a body. I think that could be Dr. Wells (and may explain certain confrontational team up BTS pics from the show). Admittedly I didn't realise the possibility until they mentioned it. lol

On a side not about that teaser. The guy in the body armour and yellow helmet. I'm wondering if he could be a HIVE soldier/drone. Would explain the colours and on his mask there seems to be a couple of bug-like stingers/mandibles or whatever you call them. Seems a bit wasp-like.

In regards to the talk of having Cavanaugh be just a ressurected Dr. Wells in the future. I'm not so keen on that idea as I think he largely works because he is actually RF. He's not been playing Dr. Wells for the most part, but a guy impersonating him. I think if they were to go down that route then they would have to really do something different with the character of Dr. Wells and develop him as a different person to make it interesting and not simply so they can keep a facsimile of Barry's pit crew.

I wonder if Barry goes back in time to save his Mom (whether he succeeds or not) he might save the real Wells too?

In regards to Dr. Wells' body which was asked about in the previous version of this thread. I was watching IGN's rewind of the teaser for upcoming episodes and they showed Joe, Cpt Lance from Arrow uncovering a body. I think that could be Dr. Wells (and may explain certain confrontational team up BTS pics from the show). Admittedly I didn't realise the possibility until they mentioned it. lol

On a side not about that teaser. The guy in the body armour and yellow helmet. I'm wondering if he could be a HIVE soldier/drone. Would explain the colours and on his mask there seems to be a couple of bug-like stingers/mandibles or whatever you call them. Seems a bit wasp-like.

In regards to the talk of having Cavanaugh be just a ressurected Dr. Wells in the future. I'm not so keen on that idea as I think he largely works because he is actually RF. He's not been playing Dr. Wells for the most part, but a guy impersonating him. I think if they were to go down that route then they would have to really do something different with the character of Dr. Wells and develop him as a different person to make it interesting and not simply so they can keep a facsimile of Barry's pit crew.

But everytime we saw Wells act with warmth, compassion and seeming sincerity, that could've been aspects of the real Wells's personality coming through. I'd like to believe that Thawne has inherited parts of that, so that Wells has in fact been a stabilising influence on someone who would otherwise have been a completely callous human being.

I said in another thread that Harrison Wells kind of reminds me of Adam Kane from Mutant X - the Professor X-like strategic scientist figure behind all of the heroes. He even looks a bit similar to John Shea, and he has a wheelchair like Charles Xaiver. With a good Wells helping the heroes, he could be a very valuable ally. And maybe he might even somehow have knowledge of how Thawne might operate.

Without Wells, how are Barry and his friends going to have the necessary scientific knowledge or experience to be fully effective as a team?

I wonder if Barry goes back in time to save his Mom (whether he succeeds or not) he might save the real Wells too?

Sure lets see just how much more convoluted they can make things.

Yup, it would be a big risk to swap one of the strongest points of the show for someone who may not do as good a job.

Matt Letscher is pretty awesome though. While I get the concern, it'd be a shame to not see more of him on this show. I've seen him on Scandal and Boardwalk Empire and the guy is a scene stealer imo.

Personally I would have no objection to Letscher taking over as RF. He creeped me out much more than Cavanagh could (Tom just has a certain likeability to me (maybe it's just his great acting though lol), although he has done very well as RF). As others have said they could have Cavanagh (sp?) be the real Harrison to keep him on the show.

Personally I would have no objection to Letscher taking over as RF. He creeped me out much more than Cavanagh could (Tom just has a certain likeability to me (maybe it's just his great acting though lol), although he has done very well as RF). As others have said they could have Cavanagh (sp?) be the real Harrison to keep him on the show.

That is the correct spelling, and the name in the title of the thread "Cavanaugh" is wrong.

And I agree that Letscher could be a great villain and even more someone we love to hate. If he is absolutely ruthless and cunning, he would be excellent as the Reverse Flash.

And don't forget, we knew Harrison Wells at the start of the season as a good and likeable man, and some even thought he could be future Barry. So having him as a genuine ally of Barry's as the real Harrison would be a good role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"