Tom Hiddleston is Loki

I have to chime in on this thread. This might have been one of the best cast comic book movies I've ever seen, (thank GOD for Branagh who truly is an actor's director and who wisely put so much time into the family dynamics and quieter character based moments besides some awesome action,) with Elba's Heimdall a tower of strength, Hopkins kicking ass, Portman being charming and passionate, and Hemsworth being absolutely perfect as Thor-Hiddleston still managed to stand out and steal the whole film. Besides all the observations made so far, I'd like to add a few thoughts of my own.

-How Loki played Thor like a violin. That scene where Loki and Thor discuss Dad's edict and Thor decides to go rogue is simply brilliant. Loki ever so subtly manages to re-inforce Thor's innate instinct to go to Jotunheim and then tries to 'discourage' him ever so ineffectually.
Though, I don't think Loki *was* trying to start a war at first, (his telling the guard where they were going and the "damn" he gave when the Frost Giant called Thor a little girl was quite genuine as he knew how it would play out.) I think at first he really was just continuing to have a little fun by getting his brother to act out and hopefully create more tension between Thor and Dad; it just happened to succeed far FAR beyond his wildest hopes.

-The interrogation room scene between Loki and Thor, (damn Hiddleston and Hemsworth were dynamite together,) which showcases two elements I feel are worth pointing out:
A. Loki's greatest trick is his ability as blogger Lance Mannion put it "to come across as being as sincere as Linus Van Pelt lecturing on the Great Pumpkin." Thor bought Loki's story because Loki managed to seem oh so sincerely sorry and devastated by recent events, "You must'nt blame yourself, Thor." And then Loki's obvious frustration at not being able to retrieve Mjolnir.

B. Loki's earth attire. As my mother later commented after the film, Loki's traditional Asgardian attire was not especially flattering but that suit was the best look for him because as she put it, "he looks like a very successful businessman you shouldn't trust," which I felt was EXACTLY the look to go for. Don't get me wrong; on Asgard you had to have Loki looking like an Asgardian straight from his outfit in the canon but on Earth there's no need for the green suit or helmet and frankly it's distracting. And so while many fanboys might lynch me for saying this,
I hope for Avengers we get Loki in more 'business attire' or at least just basic black than the full on costume.

-Self-hater issues. What's most striking about Loki's double crossing Laufey, (which I did NOT see coming the first time I saw this and was absolutely brilliant,) is that Laufey is Loki's biological father-who abandoned him. Loki makes a point of saying that it was "Odin's son who killed you!" Then Loki who is actually a frost giant tries to wipe out the entire race of frost giants. All in a misguided attempt to please foster daddy by finally 'proving' he's not one of them and is too good enough for the family. Which is why when Loki tells Thor it wasn't about the throne but about being Thor's equal-I believed him. All his life he's been told to hate Frost Giants as being the big bad monsters his beloved super awesome heroic daddy defeated so finding out the truth; I think it really did drive him mad.

-On a purely shallow note, I found Hiddleston to be even more sexy than Hemsworth. Now I can see certainly see the appeal of Hemsworth's Thor on a purely aesthetic level but he just doesn't do it for me the way Hiddleston's Loki did. So sue me.

"I never wanted to be king! I only wanted to be your equal!"

And THAT was the best Loki moment for me.

Overall I think Hiddleston did quite good with what he was given. He didn't really have all that much screentime compared to Heath's Joker.

The only thing I found a bit forced were his bits in the end scene where he was laughing and faking his "brother... please" line when he was using his decoy.

^ Well TDK was a "sequel" and this was an origin film, the heroes usually take center stage in the origin films.

Most of the cast was great, but Loki was the best. I really got emotionally involved.

Hiddleston's performance just earned Loki a spot in my top five favorite comic book movie villains.

He eared the absolute TOP spot in mine, better than Ledger's Joker if he'd had more screentime and magic.

He was pretty good in almost all of his scenes. I don't think I have to repeat all that has been mentioned but I agree. My fave scene is when Loki finds out the truth about who he really is. His delivery of "TELL ME!" was spot on. I felt sorry for him.

LadyMoira I agree with you on pretty much everything you said in your post tom blew me away in this movie and just to let you know your not the only one who thought hiddleston's loki was more appealing than Hemsworth's thor :cwink: I think its the voice ,we have good taste it would seem lol.

He eared the absolute TOP spot in mine, better than Ledger's Joker if he'd had more screentime and magic.

The great thing about Hiddleston's Loki is that the best is yet to come, with his confirmed appearance in the Avengers (and presumably) future sequels for Thor. I think all these films will further establish Loki was one of the best villains in the cinema, not just superhero movies.

I agree Raiden. He'll be a much better villain when he achieves some victories too. the reason why I still put Ledger's Joker above Loki is because he achieved some major victories in what he wanted to do. He killed Rachel, made Harvey Dent go crazy, and had Gotham City on their knees.

I agree Raiden. He'll be a much better villain when he achieves some victories too. the reason why I still put Ledger's Joker above Loki is because he achieved some major victories in what he wanted to do. He killed Rachel, made Harvey Dent go crazy, and had Gotham City on their knees.

I beg to differ.

Loki did win.

Had Thor banished and relinquished of power
Prooved at least schematically; he was Thor's equal
Nearly annihilated an entire realm
Became king

Pretty good huh

I beg to differ.

Loki did win.

Had Thor banished and relinquished of power
Prooved at least schematically; he was Thor's equal
Nearly annihilated an entire realm
Became king

Pretty good huh

Yeah, as great as Joker was in TDK, his master plan (of having passengers from two ferries destroy each other) did not go as planned, and he was captured by Batman. Loki had the crown, sent Destroyer to kill Thor (and technically, it succeed), and almost destroy the realm of the frost giant if not for Thor's last desperate effort. And unlike Joker, we know Loki will be back, and he will probably be even more devious and destructive than before.

^ well said. the joker was great and all, but way over-rated if ya ask me

I think the biggest difference between loki and most villains Is that you secretly root for him. He isn't genuine evil. He didn't even want to be king. I think what pushed him over the edge was finding out what he really was.

His concerns for Thor's arrogance and recklessness were sound.
Wasn't Thor's original plan to wipeout the ice giants? Sound familiar huh? Loki practically did it.

Dude was just gully. I can't think of a more twisted yet lovable villain

i watched it in imax 3d (the only 3d that works imo)

and loki was the most 3-dimensional (pun intended) villain i've ever seen. it's almost like you can justify everything that's happened to him. like i said earlier, if this was shakespeare, he'd be the tragic character.

spoiler-too lazy to box it
after the credits, why did he look burned/mangled?
end spoiler-yeah yeah here we go

i watched it in imax 3d (the only 3d that works imo)

and loki was the most 3-dimensional (pun intended) villain i've ever seen. it's almost like you can justify everything that's happened to him. like i said earlier, if this was shakespeare, he'd be the tragic character.

spoiler-too lazy to box it
after the credits, why did he look burned/mangled?
end spoiler-yeah yeah here we go

Yeah I agree, Loki was an amazing villain, oh and I think the reason Loki looked so messed up is because he fell through that wormhole after being defeated by Thor.

Saw this movie again, and at first i seemed to be one of the few who wasn't taken by Loki, but man watching it again i totally get why everyone really dug the performance and the character. He was great, a very dymanic villain

I'd say he is up there with Ian Mckellans Magneto as head and shoulders above the rest of the Marvel Villains we have seen on screen with Hiddlestons Loki probably a hair above Mckellan.

I personally don't see it higher than Ledgers Joker, i just don't see that being topped for quite sometime now. Ledger's Joker made TDK the movie it was, i have re watched that movie hundredes of times just because of Ledgers Joker, i don't think thats something you can say for Hiddlestons Loki, while still a great villain i don't think i will be re watching THor hundreds of times like i have with Ledgers Joker in TDK. Ledgers Joker was so good that it totally made your forget how forgetable and subpar Bale's Batman was.

I Thought Jack's Joker was better than Ledger's personally, and I'm a Ledger fan.

Ah you can't compare them at all, they're both amazing for their respected times.

I Thought Jack's Joker was better than Ledger's personally, and I'm a Ledger fan.

Jack's Joker was alot closer to the source material while Heath's Joker was more of a reinvention, albeit a brilliant one.

While I think a few are going a bit overboard with their praise of Loki (to me it was a very well-realised Shakesperian-esque performance but the depth of the character has been wildly exaggerated), the idea that he'll be the main villain for the Avengers is the single thing that makes me excited for that movie. Which is a big compliment I guess.

Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, and Captain America being in the same movie is the main reason I'm excited for the Avengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"