The Dark Knight Too Dark for kids?

CRABBAH HUK!

Civilian
Reaction score
I've got an 11 year old son who is dying to see this. So far, a couple reviewers have stated that this film is a PG-13 stretched to the limit and perhaps should even be R rated. One critic even said that kids below 14 should not see it. Period.

My kid is pretty thick-skinned but I'll probably see it on my own first.

What about the rest of you?

Probably a bit too dark for some, but not all.

If I were you, I'd see it first, but I'm pretty sure an 11 year old can see it. It is PG-13, so 13 and older should be good. If your son is thick-skinned he'll probably be fine, but see it first.

I've watched R-rated movies my whole life and I turned out fine...

I probably wouldn't take a kid below the age of 10 to see it. Older than that should be okay, but then again, some kids can handle things better than others. But yeah, when in doubt, it's always best to screen first.

I'm going to see it 1st, then decide if it's fitting for my 9 year old.

The 6 year old definitely isn't seeing it, but he doesn't know that yet.

I'm thinking the same thing about taking my daughter (who is 8) to this film. She has seen a number of darker movies, including all three LotR films as well as Revenge of the Sith, and wasn't bothered by them. She is also a huge Batman fan and has been looking forward to seeing TDK. However, with everything we know about how dark the movie will be, I definitely won't be taking her to my initial viewing.

I bet you saw Batman 89 before you were 15 some how :p

Well i know i did anyway, that and Returns and yeah i loved both.

I was 3 years old when Ive seen Burton's Batmans and 7 when Empire Strikes Back so... ;-)

If you don't let your kids see violent movies they could become homosexual.

and if you8 do let them see them they could end up being attracted to turtles...

my nephew is 4 years old and im taking him after i see,even tho is darker or not.and that was funny about turle focker LOL.

Its PG-13 which I think is fine for an 11 year old. People tend to shelter their kids too much then they wonder why they are ill equipped to handle life.

I could never understand the point of filtering images or misc. media from people, people would rather 'stroke themselves'(george carlin) into not seeing something because it's 'too much'..I guess during my upbringing I was watching Nightmare on Elm, Friday the 13th, IT, Halloween and Hellraiser series of films....I guess 'some can take it while others can't' but WOW man nowadays people are so....idk how to explain it...it's like ok you're not taking him to see TDK ok fine....the next day his friend suicides himself with a shotgun IN FRONT OF HIM.....please man spare me the melodrama

If you don't let your kids see violent movies they could become homosexual.

and if you8 do let them see them they could end up being attracted to turtles...
I watched plenty of violent movies when I was a kid (the Terminator, Predator, Alien, and Robocop flicks) and still turned out homosexual. UR THEORIES IS FLAWED

....but I did also have a turtle that I rather fancied. Now I'm confused.

I watched plenty of violent movies when I was a kid (the Terminator, Predator, Alien, and Robocop flicks) and still turned out homosexual. UR THEORIES IS FLAWED

....but I did also have a turtle that I rather fancied. Now I'm confused.

Exact science, Mr Angier, is not an exact science.

I'm thinking the same thing about taking my daughter (who is 8) to this film. She has seen a number of darker movies, including all three LotR films as well as Revenge of the Sith, and wasn't bothered by them. She is also a huge Batman fan and has been looking forward to seeing TDK. However, with everything we know about how dark the movie will be, I definitely won't be taking her to my initial viewing.

Ya dark fantasy is one thing, but this is a very gritty dark film set in a very real world with very real psycho's.

i definitely think this would be too dark for SOME kids, it really depends on the kid...i mean, if they sat through begins, i dont know why they cant sit through TDK....but then again, i can't really speak from experience, since we have yet to see the film. i'd just see it yourself and then decide whether or not to take your kid.

This is a case by case situation...you just have to know your kid and what he or she can handle.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is.

I dunno', I'd be wary. I've heard a lot of critics actually surprised it wasn't R rated. And I suppose you don't necessarily need graphic violence to be disturbed by something, child or not. There could potentially be disturbing things that are not violent.

I think that these "very dark and disturbing, almost should be rated R" comments are just an attempt to boost up TDK's street credibility. And the movie already has plenty of street cred cuz there has been so many talented people working on it!

I'm just saying that nowadays kids are used to pretty much everything. I bet that majority of kids between the age of 12-15 are able to handle TDK.

The entirely different thing is, are they able to appreciate the themes and undertones of the story and the characters. When you're 12, you can't really understand the meanings behind different events. You can't read between the lines and you can't delve into the psychology of the movie. You just sit and wait for the next fight/chase sequence.

I think anyone under the age of 9 shouldn't go but then again you'll always see the 6-8 year olds make their way through.

I find that little girls are much more brave than little boys when it comes to some what violent/scary movies. The movie experience will suck if you take a kid and it is too scary and he wants to leave halfway.

Unfortunately I'm sort of in this predicament. I have a newphew who is only 9 but is a huge Batman fan and is dieing to see this film. I'll probably end up taking him though but I'll try and prep him for the worst before that day. He is a thick skin boy though so he'll probably have a blast.

i for one hope it is too dark and violent for children. i dont mean it in a obnoxious way because your kid is probly well looking forward to it. but when i was younger i used to watch all the horror films. i ad knightmares about jason for years!! lol. but i now just look at them films and laugh. i think it all depends on the individual kids, some kids are **** scared of clowns so a film with the joker in it wouldn't be good for them. but ive heard that most of the bad violence is suggested not actually fully shown. if you read the heath ledger interview with FHM he says it aint that gory. its up to you man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"