Top 10 films of 2012

Didn't change my top/bottom 10 on purpose. (Just wanted add my Honorable Mentions)

Top 10 of 2012 (updated 11/19)
1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. The Grey
3. The Avengers
4. The Raid: Redemption
5. Chronicle
6. 21 Jump Street
7. Prometheus
8. Skyfall
9. John Carter
10. Argo

Honorable Mentions
Haywire
Nameless Gangster
The FP
Casa de Mi Padre
Jeff, Who Lives at Home
Goon
God Bless America
The Cabin in the Woods
Iron Sky
Bernie
The Five Year Engagement
Moonrise Kingdom
Snow White & The Huntsman
Piranha 3DD
The Pact
Safety Not Guaranteed
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Ted
V/H/S
ParaNorman
Hit and Run
The Words
The Dark Knight Returns Part 1
Dredd
End of Watch
Looper
Frankenweenie
Flight
Lincoln
Life of Pi
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Bottom 10 of 2012 (updated 11/19)
1. Detention
2. Smiley
3. The Apparition
4. Project X
5. Chernobyl Diaries
6. The Devil Inside
7. The Tall Man
8. Battleship
9. Gone
10. What to Expect When You're Expecting

Honorable Mentions
The Lorax
A Thousand Words
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie
[REC]³ Génesis
ATM
Dark Shadows
That's My Boy
Rock of Ages
The Watch
Cosmopolis
Resident Evil: Retribution
Alex Cross

Films I've Seen (this includes Blu rays/DVDs; bold titles means watched in a theater)

The Devil Inside (Blu Ray)
Contraband (Blu Ray)
Haywire (Blu Ray)
Coriolanus (Blu Ray)
Red Tails (Blu Ray)
Underworld: Awakening (Blu Ray)
The Grey
Man on a Ledge
Nameless Gangster (Blu Ray)
Chronicle
The Woman in Black
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (Blu Ray)
Safe House
Side By Side (DVD)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (Blu Ray)
Gone (Blu Ray)
Act of Valor (Blu Ray)
Wanderlust (Blu Ray)
The Lorax (Blu Ray)
Project X (Blu Ray)
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie (Blu Ray)
A Thousand Words (Blu Ray)
John Carter
Silent House
21 Jump Street
The FP (Blu Ray)
Casa de Mi Padre (Blu Ray)
Jeff, Who Lives at Home (Blu Ray)
[REC]³ Génesis (Blu Ray)
Mirror Mirror (Blu Ray)
Wrath of the Titans (Real D)
Goon (Blu Ray)
God Bless America (Blu Ray)
ATM (Blu Ray)
The Cabin in the Woods (Blu Ray)
Detention (Blu Ray)
Bad Ass (Blu Ray)
Lockout (Blu Ray)
The Three Stooges (Blu Ray)
Iron Sky (Blu Ray)
The Hunger Games (Blu Ray)
The Raid: Redemption
The Pirates! Band of Misfits (Blu Ray)
The Raven (Blu Ray)
Bernie (Blu Ray)
The Five Year Engagement (Blu Ray)
Safe (Blu Ray)
Get the Gringo (Blu Ray)
The Avengers (IMAX 3D) (Real D) (2D)
Dark Shadows (Blu Ray)
The Dictator (Blu Ray)
Battleship (Blu Ray)
What to Expect When You're Expecting (Blu Ray)
Chernobyl Diaries
Men in Black 3
Moonrise Kingdom (Blu Ray)
Snow White & The Huntsman
Piranha 3DD (Blu Ray)
The Pact (Blu Ray)
Prometheus (Real D)
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (Blu Ray)
Safety Not Guaranteed (Blu Ray)
That's My Boy (Blu Ray)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Blu Ray)
Brave (Blu Ray)
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (Blu Ray)
Rock of Ages (Blu Ray)
Superman vs. The Elite (Blu Ray)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (Blu Ray)
Ted (Blu Ray)
The Amazing Spider-Man (Real D)
Red Lights (Blu Ray)
The Dark Knight Rises (IMAX) (2D)
The Watch (Blu Ray)
Killer Joe (Blu Ray)
Total Recall (Blu Ray)
The Tall Man (DVD)
V/H/S (DVD)
The Bourne Legacy
The Campaign (Blu Ray)
The Expendables 2
ParaNorman (Blu Ray)
Cosmopolis (Blu Ray)
Compliance (Blu Ray)
Hit and Run (Blu Ray)
The Apparition (Blu Ray)
Samsara (Blu Ray)
Premium Rush
Lawless
The Possession
Liberal Arts (Blu Ray)
The Words (Blu Ray)
Resident Evil: Retribution (Blu Ray)
Arbitrage (Blu Ray)
The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 (Blu Ray)
Stolen (Blu Ray)
Dredd (Real D)
House at the End of the Street (Blu Ray)
End of Watch
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (DVD)
Trouble with the Curve (Blu Ray)
Looper
Hotel Transylvania (Real D)
Frankenweenie (Real D)
Taken 2
The Paperboy (Blu Ray)
Butter (Blu Ray)
Smiley (DVD)
Argo
Here Comes the Boom
Sinister
Paranormal Activity 4
Cloud Atlas (Blu Ray)
Alex Cross (Blu Ray)
Flight
Wreck-It Ralph (Real D)
The Bay (Blu Ray)
Skyfall
Lincoln
Life of Pi (Real D)
Red Dawn
Hitchcock (DVD)
Killing Them Softly
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (XD 3D 48FPS)
Zero Dark Thirty (DVD)
Jack Reacher
This Is 40 (DVD)
Django Unchained (DVD)

Still Need to See
This Means War
Robot & Frank
The Master
Seven Psychopaths
Smashed
Silent Hill: Revelation 3D
The Man with the Iron Fists
Silver Linings Playbook
Rise of the Guardians
The Collection
Hyde Park on Hudson
The Guilt Trip
Les Misérables

Last edited:
My Top 10 for the Year:
10.) Killer Joe
9.) Moonrise Kingdom
8.) The American Scream
7.) The Dark Knight Rises
6.) Brave
5.) Hitchcock
4.) Frankenweenie
3.) The Cabin in the Woods
2.) Wreck-It Ralph
1.) Beauty is Embarrassing

Made an update and shifted some films. Probably one of the last times I'll update it till I see something like Django Unchained later this month. By the way, I only include films I've seen in theater.

Top Films of 2012:

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Skyfall
3. Chronicle
4. Argo
5. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
6. The Avengers
7. Les Miserables
8. Prometheus
9. The Raid
10. Looper
11. Dredd
12. Wreck-It Ralph
13. The Grey
14. The Expendables 2
15. Ted
16. 21 Jump Street
17. Men In Black 3
18. Lawless
19. The Amazing Spiderman
20. The Bourne Legacy
21. Taken 2

Updated list (new in bold)

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Life of Pi
3. Seven Psychopaths
4. Argo
5. Sound of My Voice
6. Skyfall
7. The Avengers
8. The Amazing Spiderman
9. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
10. Beasts of the Southern Wild

11. Safety Not Guaranteed
12. The Imposter
13. Lawless
14. Looper
15. Ted
16. Jeff Who Lives at Home
17. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
18. Take This Waltz
19. Boy
20. Cabin in the Woods

And the rest:

21 Jump Street, The Hunger Games, The Grey, Superman Vs The Elite, Frankenweenie, Jack Reacher, Detatchment, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Campaign, Project X, Snow White and the Huntsman, Perfect Sense, Get the Gringo, Turn Me On Dammit!, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, The Kid with a Bike, Prometheus, Silent House, Wanderlust, Dredd, The Watch, Taken 2, Being Flynn, The Bourne Legacy, Chronicle, Moonrise Kingdom, Friends With Kids, On the Road, John Carter, Safe House, Justice League: Doom, Haywire,360, Pitch Perfect, This Means War, Mirror Mirror, Badass, What to Expect When You're Expecting, Brave, Men in Black 3, Magic Mike, Total Recall, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Dark Shadows, Goon, The Raven, The Flowers of War, Big Miracle, Battleship, The Woman in Black, The Trouble with Bliss, The Vow, American Pie Reunion, Sinister, Bernie, The Lorax, That's My Boy, Rock of Ages, The Five Year Engagement, The Raid Redemption, Coriolanus, Man on a Ledge, The Dictator, A Thousand Words, The Pact, The Cold Light of Day, Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, The Three Stooges, All in Good Time, The Deep Blue Sea, Red Tails, The Devil Inside, Contraband, The Divide, One for the Money, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn part 2, Act of Valor, Wrath of the Titans, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Red Lights

Total = 101 Films

Still really need to see: Django Unchained, Les Miserables, The Master, Silver Linings Playbook, Lincoln, Hitchcock, Flight, Red Dawn, Cloud Atlas, Smashed, Rust and Bone, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Robot and Frank, Ruby Sparks, Zero Dark Thirty, Trouble with the Curve, Holy Motors, Killer Joe, Killing them Softly, To Rome with Love, This is 40, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Norwegian Wood, Damsels in Distress, Rust and Bone, Headhunters, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Extraterrestrial, Oslo August 31st, Your sister's sister, Paranorman, Hotel Transylvania, The Words, Premium Rush, Hit and Run, End of Watch, Wreck-It-Ralph, The Impossible, The Guilt Trip, Rise of the Guardians... and probably still more that i've forgotten...

Top 10 films of 2012:

1) Shame: Powerful movie about addiction & the damage it can cause to yourself and loved ones. Michael Fassbender delivers a truthful portrayal of an sex addict, Steve McQueen doesn’t dare to shy from the explicit sex & Harry Escott’s powerful theme for Brandon is just saddening, haunting but addictive tune.

2) Raid: the Redemption: Hell yeah movie of the year! Beat ‘Em up action with a great vibe of music to get your manly thrills out there, heck yeah, i feel more the man just by thinking about this awesome film. Mad Dog is a hell of an villain and did i mention the action scenes are just wonderful? Yeah, this movie delivered.

3) Moonrise Kingdom: Fantastical romantic comedy with such an powerful orchestrated soundtrack, Kubrick-esque cinematography and a star assmbled cast from Bruce Willis to Edward Norton, you won’t be finding a movie quite like this in a long shot. The sense of adventure and fantasy blends with reality in this tale of two love birds.

4) Haywire: Steven Soderbergh delivers a smooth jazzing spy thriller with Gina Garano as the lead star, she oozes with confidence, sexual charm and most of all: style. Ewan McGregor, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas & Michael Fassbender give their talents as well but Gina keeps the spotlight all to herself. David Holmes’ soundtrack is just pure jazz goodness.

5) ParaNorman: Stop-Motion Animated movie that deals with bigotry, prejudice, death & loneliness? ParaNorman delivers emotions and serious subjects thru horror comedy, but it doesn’t forget it’s place as a family movie with fun characters, homages to slasher films and a variety of fun characters.

6) The Grey: Liam Neeson’s late action career as this hard grizled magnificent bastard is becoming a thrill. Joe Carnahan’s movie of the force of nature, the inevitable death that looms over us all was a early surprise hit of the 2012 and definitely a strong contender of the best movies of 2012.

7) Lincoln: Steven Spielberg knows cinema, giving us this historical biography of Lincoln’s struggle for egual rights movement, but he doesn’t shy away from the reality of how cunningly manipulative Lincoln was with his abuse of power, and Daniel-Day Lewis truly transforms into the 16th president of the United States. Incredibly powerful movie, nuff said!

8) J. Edgar: Clint Eastwood doesn’t shy away from the reality that the man who created the FBI was a cruel manipulative man, but also carrying the burden of being a closeted homosexual in a time when gays we’re despised. Judi Dench is fantastic as always, Leonardo Dicaprio & Armie Hammer play their love for each other as real as it must have been back then, while Eastwood waves the tale in an entertaining non-chronological order that keeps revealing more & more of itself as the story unfolds.

9) Dredd: The comic book movie of the year, not to mention the badass buddy cop movie! Karl Urban gives Judge Dredd the badass mofo portrayal he is, the gruff violent force of the law. Director Peter Travers gives an immersive 3D joy ride from beautiful drug illusions, brutal fatalities and a wide range of sceneries that some seem to be taken from your worst nightmares.

10) The Dark Knight Rises: The poor vs. The rich, a city in turmoil, fanatic cultists taking down airplanes as the fire rises and all hell is unleashed by the League of Shadows!? The mere grandscale and scope of epics in the final Christopher Nolan Batman are so vast, so fangasming that i could talk about them all day! Tom Hardy’s excellent acting, the way he utilizes his body & eyes to give such a malicious evil presence, Michael Caine’s Alfred is always excellent and for me Christian Bale is the god damn Batman. Anne Hathaway is an excellent addition to the women playing Catwoman and god damn do i love Joseph-Gordon Levitt! The script should have been revisited and i would have preferred more onlook on the city’s inner turmoil, especially regarding the poor and the rich, but otherwise this was a major summer blockbuster with a fantastic conclusion to the saga.

Honorable mentions in no particular order:
Chronicle
Argo
The Hypnotist
End of Watch
Call Girl
Amazing Spider-Man
Rise of the Guardians
Avengers
Wreck-it Ralph
Ted
Man with the Iron Fists
Arbitrage
We Need to Talk about Kevin
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Cabin in the Woods
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Prometheus
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
A Dangerous Method
Carnage
Jack Reacher
Intouchables
The Descendants
Ides of March
The Woman in Black
The Dictator
This Must be the Place
Skyfall
Rock of Ages
Killer Joe
The Flowers of War
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
How I Spent my Summer Vacation
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

PS. Now this comes off as a slight rant, but i won’t see Django Unchained, Seven Psychopaths, the Master, Les Miserables, Silver Linings Playbook & Zero Dark Thirty untill 2013, so i will be mising those out, just like last year i missed plenty of movies, some which made to this list. I mean, i could always wait till February 2013 since some of these movies here are purely delayed due to the free marketing they gain from the Oscar awards, but i’m not gonna wait till then personally.

I need to add Cosmopolis to my list. I didn't like it when I saw it in theaters, but I rewatched it today and really enjoyed it.

Revised, again:

1) Beasts of the Southern Wild
2) The Perks of Being a Wallflower
3) Wuthering Heights (Stateside release)
4) Zero Dark Thirty
5) Turn Me On, Dammit
6) The Hollow Crown -- Richard II
7) Les Miserables
8) Samsara
9) .hack//Beyond the World
10) Moonrise Kingdom

11) The Silver Linings Playbook

12) Django Unchained
13) Side By Side
14) Lincoln
15) Sinister
16) Frankenweenie
17) The Painting (Le Tableau)
18) Wreck-It-Ralph
19) Sister (L'Enfant d'en haut)
20) Dredd
21) The Dark Knight Returns Pt 1
22) Superman vs. the Elite
23) The Raid
24) The Secret World of Arriety
25) The Avengers
26) From Up On Poppy Hill (US release)
27) The Thieves
28) Damsels in Distress
29) Nameless Gangster
30) Compliance
31) Flight
32) Little Birds
33) Life Without Principle (came out 2011 but I only saw it this year)

Last edited:
Here it is, boys and girls. My final Top 10 list for 2012:

1. The Avengers
2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
3. Django Unchained
4. The Dark Knight Rises
5. Les Miserables
6. Skyfall
7. Zero Dark Thirty
8. Argo
9. The Cabin in the Woods
10. The Hunger Games

Still great:
11. Ted
12. Lincoln
13. Life of Pi
14. The Amazing Spider-Man
15. Brave
16. 21 Jump Street
17. Looper

Didn't make the cut:
18. Prometheus
19. Silver Linings Playbook
20. Moonrise Kingdom
21. John Carter
22. Project X
23. Wreck-It Ralph
24. Men in Black III
25. Cloud Atlas
26. American Reunion
27. The Five Year Engagement
28. This Is 40
29. Frankenweenie
30. The Grey
31. Dark Shadows
32. The Perks of Being A Wallflower
33. The Expendables 2
34. The Campaign

Meh:
35. Taken 2
36. The Dictator

F*** this movie:
37. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Honorable Mention (but it doesn't really count because it was released in 1981):
Raiders of the Lost Ark: The IMAX Experience

There's a few that I may see down the line ("Seven Psychopaths", "The Bourne Legacy", "Beasts of the Southern Wild"), but when I do, this thread will probably be long buried because I'm in no rush to see them.

Last edited:
My final list:

1. Moonrise Kingdom
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Django Unchained
4. Argo
5. Zero Dark Thirty
6. 21 Jump Street
7. Dredd
8. Prometheus
9. Looper
10. The Avengers

1. Looper-9.2/10

A time travel sci fi movie with a brilliant lead performance and one of the best acting from a child ever. The Sci fi trappings are great but what I really loved is the movie's commentary on violence and the importance of parenting in a child's life.

2. Silver Linings Playbook-9.1/10
Great performances by the cast, especially Lawrence and Cooper, great direction and writing. It's funny, heartfelt, it's everything. Yes it has familar rom com tropes but whocares? What matters is how well you do something and this movie does it's something really ****ing well. Usually I hate these kind of films but this one worked for me in spades.

3. Wreck it Ralph-9.0/10
Disney has been killing it with this and Tangled. Great characters, great comedy and very, very heart felt and extremely inventive. Much better than Brave which had equally wonderful characters but a lame messy plot.

4. SkyFall-8.8/10
I'm sure there were plotholes and I would've liked more Eve and the movie is too much like TDK for my taste but I just had a blast watching this film. It's fun, mostly well paced, Silva is a great villian, Dench is wonderful and Craig is perfect for this version of Bond. I just loved this film but I do wonder if it's going to hold up for me. Time will tell.
5. The Hunger Games-8.5/10

I liked the ideas of this movie a lot. The sick idea that we send kids to fight our battles without enough of a thought about that fact, the voyeristic and celebrity obsesses nature nature of our culture in America. It's all here in a nice sci fi package and is starring the great Jennifer Lawrence who brings soul and depth to the film. I found the movie touching and involving. It has some cheesy moments, one bad but brief performance and the camera was a little shakey for my taste but the good far outweighs the bad.

6. Cabin in the Woods-8.5/10
The most creative film of the year by far. Funny, super witty and the ending is just amazing. Along side Scream as the best deconstruction of the horror genre.

7. Chronicle-8.3/10
The best most interesting Superhero film of the year. Great characters and fine performances and some of the best low budget special effects of the year. This movie will probably move up my list after futher viewings but the found footage conciet will always hurt the film for me. I hate found fooage.

8. The Master-8/10
It's probably a little too artsy for it's own good and takes too long to get started but once it does I was utterly fascinated. The cinematography is wonderful, the characters and performances are stellar and I loved the relationship between the two men in this film.

9. Django Unchained-7.8/10
There is nothing new about this film. It's what QT has been doing since KillBill, there are no surprises but as usual the acting is good, the dialogue is clever and the comedy is funny. I liked the film but I wish QT would change it up from the revenge fantasy, 70's exploitation film homages.

10. The Hobbit-7.7/10
I acknowledge that this isn't an amazing film but I found it to be charming enough and not boring. I love Jackson's version of middle earth, I think it's one of the best realized otherworlds and the best fantasy world on film by a wide margin. Martin Freeman is perfectly cast and Ian McKellen is beyond perfect as Gandalf. The movie gets by on charm but the story is thin, the movie takes far too long to get started, most of the characters are under devolped and the way the characters get out of trouble is repetitive and silly. I could stand those things because the film is likable.

This time I won't round my scores for the sake of clarity. But I hate not rounding so this is a rare exception.

Last edited:
Made some alterations to my list. Have intentionally removed TA, TDKR and TASM because I think it's impossible for me to be objective in where I place them. Obviously, as a fan, they will always end up higher than they neccesarily deserve in terms of their actual cinematic merit.

The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
The Amazing Spiderman

Updated list

1. Life of Pi
2. Seven Psychopaths
3. Silver Linings Playbook
4. Saftey Not Guaranteed
5. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
6. The Impossible
7. Zero Dark Thirty
8. Argo
9. Sound of My Voice
10. Beasts of the Southern Wild

11. Skyfall
12. Les Miserables
13. Lawless
14. Looper
15. Ted
16. Jeff Who Lives at Home
17. The Imposter
18. Damsels In Distress
19. Take This Waltz
20. Boy

Bottom 10:

10. Contraband
9. The Divide
8. One for the Money
7. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn part 2
6. Beyond the Black Rainbow
5. Act of Valor
4. Wrath of the Titans
3. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
2. Red Lights
1. Killer Joe

And the rest:

Your Sister's Sister
Detatchment
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
21 Jump Street
The Hunger Games
Superman Vs The Elite
Frankenweenie
Jack Reacher
Lincoln
Cabin in the Woods
The Grey
Perks of Being a Wallflower
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Snow White and the Huntsman
Flight
Perfect Sense
Get the Gringo
Turn Me On Dammit!
The Kid with a Bike
Prometheus
Silent House
Wanderlust
Dredd
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Campaign
Project X
The Watch
Taken 2
Being Flynn
The Bourne Legacy
Chronicle
Moonrise Kingdom
Friends With Kids
John Carter
Safe House
Justice League: Doom
Haywire
Pitch Perfect
This Means War
Mirror Mirror
Badass
What to Expect When You're Expecting
Brave
On the Road
Men in Black 3
Magic Mike
Total Recall
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Dark Shadows
Goon
The Raven
The Flowers of War
Big Miracle
Battleship
The Woman in Black
The Raid Redemption
The Trouble with Bliss
The Vow
American Pie Reunion
Sinister
Bernie
The Lorax
That's My Boy
Rock of Ages
The Five Year Engagement
Coriolanus
Man on a Ledge
The Dictator
A Thousand Words
The Pact
The Cold Light of Day
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
The Three Stooges
All in Good Time
The Deep Blue Sea
Red Tails
The Devil Inside

Total = 111 Films

Still few more to see before my list is final - especially: Django Unchained, The Master and a few others I had my eye on but didn't get around to - Compliance, Wreck-It-Ralph, Liberal Arts, Cosmopolis, Holy Motors, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Headhunters, Berberian Sound Studio, Rust and Bone, Killing them Softly, Sightseers, Amour, The Intouchables, End of Watch, Flight, Alex Cross, God Bless America, To Rome With Love, Trouble With the Curve, Savages, Premium Rush, Paranorman

Last edited:
101 films , that's awesome. I still need to see a couple , but i could update my list with a few more already. I'll probably do a top 50 after watching Dredd tonight.

I'm still waiting on a few key films before I update my list. I know for a fact that nothing will be changing my #1-4 spots.

I'm still waiting on a few key films before I update my list. I know for a fact that nothing will be changing my #1-4 spots.

TBH, I feel like mine will definitely change. I just can't see myself not loving Django or Les Mis, and at least thinking The Master and Silver Linings Playbook are great. The only big one I haven't seen yet and i'm not sure i'll love is Lincoln. But we'll see over the next month!

P.S. How soon is too soon for the next thread :p

Going to see Gangster Squad later, need somewhere to start my new list! Otherwise i'll just start it here :hehe:

Here's my list. 2012 was a very strong year for movies.

1. Django Unchained
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Zero Dark Thirty
4. Argo
5. Skyfall
6. Looper
7. Avengers
8. 21 Jump Street
9. Chronicle
10. Prometheus

P.S. How soon is too soon for the next thread :p

Going to see Gangster Squad later, need somewhere to start my new list! Otherwise i'll just start it here :hehe:

I figure we can use this thread as an "anticipating / best of 2013" as the year goes on.

Cant believe so many prefer "The Raid" to Dredd.. Not to mention the rumor that the raid hacked on dredd from what I understand.

Cant believe so many prefer "The Raid" to Dredd.. Not to mention the rumor that the raid hacked on dredd from what I understand.

Really? I've seen both and I find the Raid much better and more exciting than Dredd.

Everybody likes there own stuff... I liked Dredd allot more.. "The Raid" was overkill imo and I love those kind of movies. I just didnt like the one guy fighting 8 guys at once,,, or the mini me villan that fought everybody for 2 hours. "the Raid" just lost me, started out good though. But its just my opinion and not trying to down what people enjoyed.

Updated...again...

1. Les Miserables
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. The Avengers
4. Django Unchained
5. Pitch Perfect
6. The Amazing Spider-Man
7. The Cabin in The Woods
8. The Hunger Games
9. Wreck-It-Ralph

I'm going to put my Top 20

1. Looper: Definitely the coolest movie of the year. Rian Johnson has been on my radar since the amazing Brick. I hope he and Levitt continue to have one of those epic actor/director relationships. Bruce Willis is also pretty knockout here. One of his best roles in years.
2. Beasts of the Southern Wild: A poverty stricken community in a flooded part of New Orleans reaches fairy tale like proportions through the misunderstanding eyes of a innocent and naive little girl. She is such a great little glimmer of hope among so much tragedy
3. Perks of Being a Wallflower: Just like Silver Linings Playbook, this movie just feels so optimistic, and it does so while putting its characters through the ringer over and over again. Hopefully, the young talent hear don't go unnoticed, not does writer/director/author of Perks, Stephen Chbosky, who made a damn fine first feature.
4. Silver Linings Playbook: The cineplex can sometimes be the source of so much cynicism as filmmakers torture their characters with what they see as the wrongs of society, so it is nice everyonce in awhile to see the epilogue movie to that where the characters have already gone through their own troubles and have started getting better, or at least making strides to be better.
5. Goon: If you were to tell me that a blue humored hockey movie starring Seann William Scott and written by Jay Baruchel would be one of the best movies of the year, I would think you were joking. Maybe the surprise factor is making this movie seem better than it was, but I have watched 3 or 4 more times since it hit Netflix, and I can honestly say this movie is awesome
6. Skyfall: Despite director Sam Mendes cherry picking the best parts of The Dark Knight, he creates a great deconstruction of the Bond franchise mixing elements of Craig's anti-Bond era and the traditional Bond gags and gadgets we are used to.
7. Lawless: Hell of a cast, director, and writer come together to make a moonshining gangster pic. Set in the days of Prohibition, John Hillcoat figures out there is no need to go all the way back to the Old West to play on America's love of outlaws.
8. Argo: Ben Affleck goes 3 for 3 on directorial efforts with this good old fashioned thriller. It might not have the bells and whistles of today's movies, but it is still thoroughly thrilling and entertaining.
9. Killer Joe: I'll never look a KFC the same way again. This is a seriously twisted Rednexploitation B-movie. Matthew McConaughey steps out of his comfort zone and gives a hell of a performance.
10. ParaNorman: One part Monster Squad, one part Stand By Me. ParaNorman uses a fun supernatural adventure to explore the nature of fear.
11. The Avengers: Long awaited accumulation from Marvel Studios' efforts that brings the biggest names they still own the movie rights to together for a team-up of epic blockbuster proportions. This is the kind of movie they were thinking about when they coined the term "blockbuster."
12. Moonrise Kingdom: A story of first love told in a way only Wes Anderson could tell. It has some great up and coming young performers. It makes great use of Bruce Willis even though it somehow wastes Bill Murray
13. Holy Motors: A French language roller coaster that rides through all the different genres of cinema that is confidently held up by its lead actor, Denis Lavant
14. Sound of My Voice: Another Earth follow-up that continues exploring the loneliness in a crowd feeling while playing off sci-fi events. 2 journalists set out to uncover a cult that follows a woman claiming to be from the future
15. Django Unchained: Tarantino's Western set in the South (a Southern!) that pairs some brilliantly contrasting performances and revenge porn visuals.
16. Smashed: A brutally honest look at alcoholism and sobriety and how getting sober can be simply exchanging one hangover for another. Mary Elizabeth Winstead knocks it out of the park.
17. Seven Psychopaths: A stylish story about violence, writing, and friendship that according to the filmmaker was only incidentally meta.
18. Detention: A post-modern pastiche of '90s references among a kinetic hodge podge of sci-fi and horror tropes getting the piss taken out of them and being lovingly homaged all at the same time
19. The Dark Knight Rises: Christopher Nolan mostly interesting finale to a great trilogy. I think this is probably Christian Bale's best individual effort as Batman. Anne Hathaway was fun and Tom Hardy was formidable, but Michael Caine put them all to shame.
20. Compliance: Never though this movie would work but it totally did. The scariest thing is that people were gullible enough to let this happen. I'm not being sarcastic. I am totally sincere about that.

Although I still havent seen Zero Dark thirty

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. Jack Reacher
3. The Avengers
4. Zero Dark Thirty
5. Django Unchained
6. The Grey
7. Ted
8. Trouble with the Curve
9. The Hunger Games
10. End of Watch

Users who are viewing this thread