Triplet...

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by tonytr1687, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Red King Littlefinger

Great review trip, i pretty much feel the same about vengance.

2. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

Thanks.... working on the Tomb review now.

:D

I'm not going to have as many nice things to say, I don't think, about this one.

EDIT: Actually on the second viewing it's better... The final scene between Chloe and her mom was very nice, actually, and it probably helped to pull this one out of the cellar.

3. Red King Littlefinger

Hey trip, i was wonder after reading your Aqua review and while back now Cyborg airing.

What did you think of Run?

4. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

I loved Run. I was reviewing on the now defunct TVtome back then so the review's not online anymore.

I gave it a five... You want to read it?

What can I say about this episode? It was a blast. It was fun to watch and Bart is a great character. I really liked the way the writers referred back to the other iterations of The Flash, by using them as aliases that Bart used on the various drivers licenses Clark finds in his hotel room.

I also liked the fact they had The Flash's lightning bolt symbol on Bart's backpack and belt buckle.

Tom was, as usual, wonderful. Clark is getting more and more Superman like as the season goes on. He took command at several points, especially during the confrontation with the fence and his thug. Also, his growing comfort level with his abilities, and his acceptance of them, will help make his transition to the adult Superman more believable when (or if) we ever see that on Smallville.

It was a nice change of pace to see Clark having some fun with his abilities. Bart's observation was right on about how Clark treats his gifts like a curse when he should "crank it up" instead. I don't think Clark will ever really become like Bart, but them meeting was as good for Clark as it was for Bart. It advances Clark closer to his destiny. They came closer together: Clark learning to have more fun and Bart learning some responsibility. The episode also helped set the stage for the friendship they will share later on as adults.

Hopefully these lessons will stick with Clark in subsequent episodes. It was great to see Clark smile a little bit more and finally have some fun with his powers.

I liked the tension that's now clearly there between Lex and Clark. They both still have some trust issues, and their own agendas to deal with. They both continue to lie, despite Lex's statement about friends needing to be honest with each other. This Lex/Clark cold war gives their "friendship" an edge which it had lacked in previous seasons and it's a good thing, given where their friendship eventually ends up.

Michael Rosenbaum is always excellent as Lex and this episode saw a new side of him that I don't think we'd seen before. He kicked some major bad-guy butt in the confrontation he had with the fence and his thug. And it was great to watch. I hope we see more action from him.

Lana and Jason had a longish kissing scene to start off with. So much so, it seemed gratuitous to me. Given the early prime-time hour that Smallville is broadcast in and the fact that kids watch the show, perhaps the producers should considering dialing down on this kind of thing. It smacks of being a ratings ploy and wasn’t necessary to the plot. I've seen a lot of complaints on online forums about this, and one comment on this topic even made to the last Smallville newsletter. It doesn't really bother me all that much until it gets gratuitous, which seems to be what's happening. The kissing in that scene wasn't sexy in any case, it was just tiresome. If it doesn't advance the plot, they shouldn't do it.

All in all, however, the episode was excellent and is probably one of my all-time favorites.

Wow... my reviews were a lot shorter back then. That's kind of a yucky review, actually, but that's what I thought about Run.

It's one of my favorites of the series, probably in the top ten anyway.

5. Red King Littlefinger

Interesting read trip.

I've always really liked Run its one of the (very few) episodes of season 4 I can just watch again and again. The guy playing Bart just has fun with the role and makes the episode just enjoyable to watch. The Flash referances are also done well, and not forceful *cough*, *cough*, Aqua *cough*. I really liked how the Clark/Bart relationship was shown also with both character's learning from each other

P.S Your right, your reviews were shorter back then. ;) but not necessarily better

6. musclesforsupes Registered

7. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

By interesting do you really mean "it stunk"??? :D It's okay, you can say it... It stunk.

I had only started reviewing with the start of the fourth season, so that was from really early in my reviewing "career."

LOL! Thanks....

Yeah, Craig had sorta offered to host my reviews from tvtome but I went through and reread them and I didn't even bring it up with him again. Not worth the effort to fix them... The earlier ones especially are hardly readable they're so awful.

I am rather fond of my one for Sacred... It was snarky and I think it was reading that one that made Craig think I would work well for him as a reviewer.

8. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

*sigh*

No.

9. user123456789 Registered

It stunk... bad!

Your reviews now are sooooooo much better.

Run review: :up:

Now: :up::up::up::up::up:

10. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

LOL!

:D ;) :p

11. avidreader Registered

Have you still got your Sacred review that you could post for us. I'd be interested in reading.

And looking back on your review for Run and the Jason/Lana kiss, its funny how a comment like that all seems so redundant now. That's the trouble when they bring a character like that in for one season only and he doesnt leave much effect behind for the current characters.

12. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

Yeah, I still got it... not as funny as I thought it was when I first wrote it, maybe, but still better than the review for Run but I don't think Serene will like this review very much at all:

What a ride! Wow. I loved this episode.

I read the spoilers, saw the trailer, saw the advanced clip, and still this episode was far better than I had thought it would be.

Frankly, the whole Mulana thing (thanks Omar from TWoP for the new Lana/Isobel hybrid moniker!) was a bit worrisome. I wasn’t sure how well this one would turn out, but this is one of the best episodes so far this season. Maybe it wasn’t quite as good as Transference, but it was pretty darn close.

Wow. Where to start?

Well, I must say that despite Margot Kidder’s protestations to the contrary, I don’t think that the Millar & Gough have an exploitive bone in their bodies. The gentle, respective and elegant way with which they dealt with the untimely and unexpected death of Dr. Swann was wonderfully touching. Tom Welling very movingly portrayed the confusion and dismay a teen would feel at the sudden death of someone close. As he read the letter from Swann, I got the feeling that Tom wasn’t really thinking about Swann at all but Christopher Reeve.

Annette O’Toole (Martha) and John Schneider (Jonathan) both showed real, heart breaking emotion during the scene. The scene was moving and the sentiment spoke as much about Dr. Swann as it did about the man who portrayed him; a man to whom the Superman mythos meant so much: the late Christopher Reeve.

The final line of the news reader from the TV news bulletin says it all, about both men: “The world will remember his many contributions, and man will benefit from his gifts for generations to come.”

This was a job well done by writers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson. With the unexpected bowing out of Kidder after her “contract dispute” with producers Millar & Gough, it must have been a real juggling act to come up with a different, yet respectful, way to reveal Swann’s death to Clark. Kudos.

Okay, it was good to see Clark and Lana be pals again. Maybe they’re finally over their jealousy and mutual distrust. Lana has been kind of annoying for me lately and she was far less so in this episode. Maybe there’s hope that they’ll finally be friends.

Jason, Lex and Lana getting tortured in such a painful way made the third act pretty dark. Being electrocuted doesn’t look fun, but you know what? Any sympathy I may have felt for them got ruined because Kristin Kreuk still doesn’t do pain well. I believe I complained about that in my review for Memoria, where she unconvincingly suffered from what is probably the most painful break you can have: a broken femur.

Personal Aside:

Tom, on the other hand, has always done pain really well. Kryptonite poisoning looks really painful. I think it must be hard for an actor to "do" agonizing pain well. Maybe he should give her some tips.

She needs them. The painful jolts of electricity coursing through her body hardly looked more painful than a stubbed toe. I would have thought she would have improved her pain technique by now, more than a year after Memoria.

Maybe she didn’t read my review for that episode. I did write it well after the fact; after all I didn’t start reviewing until just before the 4th season started. Hopefully she’ll read this one, but I’ll spell it out just in case it’s not clear:

Kristin,

You need to work on doing that pain thing better. Kinda broke that fourth wall for me, babe. I’d appreciate any steps you can take in improving that for the next time.

Thanks,

triplet​

Anyway, I absolutely love the lavender effect Lana gets in her eyes when Isobel takes over. It is really quite a striking look. Kristin Kreuk should really consider getting lavender contacts. I don’t remember if Spell carried over the lavender colors into Isobel’s magic as much as the FX people had it do this time, but it was a nice touch. Very well done.

Oh, one more thing about that torture scene. The strange effect of Lana’s head whipping back and forth while being tortured and then getting taken over by Isobel was strange beyond measure.

What the heck were they thinking when they were in the editing bay? That we easily confused viewers wouldn’t get that Isobel was back in possession of Lana unless her head went into some weird time warp thing?

Hopefully for the next time they’ll think of something better to show that Lana gets taken over by Isobel.

Oh! And why would a dirty, junk-filled, half-flooded temple basement have a beautiful silk Chinese style dress just lying around? It wasn’t that Kristin didn’t look great in the dress, black is really her color, but it made absolutely no sense.

Unfortunately, over-acting Kristin showed up for the confrontation with Clark. Kristin’s performance was very uneven in this episode, too bad. She should have shone. It was all about her.

I’m glad that Jason has reformed himself a bit by being such a nice guy, even if a little misguided, to Lana. I like him. I’ll miss him next year if Jenson’s other show, Supernatural, gets picked up.

And was it Lana or Isobel in the apartment afterwards… She had a very strange smile on her face after Jason gave her the stone and she hugged him. Interesting thought to ponder…

The episode presented more questions than answers but, despite some oddities, overall I loved this episode. It was tons of fun and it greatly advanced several storylines.

Those oddities probably kept the episode from being a five, so I give it 4.5 stars.

13. avidreader Registered

Nice review Triplet!

Point to note, it was Shattered and Asylum where Lana broke her leg, not Memoria. Did anyone say anything to you about that?

14. Red King Littlefinger

What about Red trip? Ever review that?

15. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

LOL! :D

True and no one pointed that out until now.

16. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

Nope, never did...

17. Red King Littlefinger

Can I ask what you thought of it?

18. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

Oh, it's a classic. One of my faves over the whole series.

Nothing better than Red-K Clark...

Tom's acting wasn't totally at it's best in that episode, he had a few rough spots I think, but all in all that episode is tons of fun.

:up:

19. Lara Registered

Cool Triplet has her own thread!hey Triplet do they archive at K-site your past reviews ( that you've done for them) and if so where? They aren't under columns.

20. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

LOL! But it wasn't my idea... a PM probably woulda worked but this works too. :D :up:

No, not at all but you can find any of my reviews there by using this formula:

www.kryptonsite.com/<put the name of the ep here>review.htm

Like this:

www.kryptonsite.com/tombreview.htm

.... or this:

www.kryptonsite.com/onyxreview.htm

I started reviewing at KryptonSite with Onyx, so as long as you know which episodes followed it you can find any one you want to find.

21. TKodami Resident Ninja

While not all of the reviews are linked from the page, http://www.kryptonsite.com/epguideseason5.htm has links to most of Triplet's reviews for Season Five. That is, in case you're like me and don't enjoy typing out the urls if you don't have to. :D

22. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

well, what do you know? I didn't know he'd done that.

Proving yet again that no one tells me nothin'... :p ;)

He had talked about doing that at one point in an email to me, but I didn't know he'd done it. (Thanks, Craig.)

23. TKodami Resident Ninja

I'm glad that your older Season 5 reviews aren't in no-man's-land anymore. Hmmm...your Season 4 reviews might still be. (*starts digging around on KSite*)

EDIT: http://www.kryptonsite.com/columns.htm has some of your Season 4 reviews on it, but is missing "Ageless" and "Forever."

I shouldn't complain, though. I just really like your reviews, Triplet. :)

24. triplet KryptonSite Reviewer

Thanks, TK... :D

You make me feel better, which I need today.

I just got through writing my first assignment for the newspaper I'm freelancing for...

<---- note custom title...

Man, I am SO not a journalist so writing that was harder than I had thought it would be. I hope the editor likes what I sent him anyway.

I guess we'll see but my difficulties with that piece have my confidence is down in the gutter right now so thanks again. You picked me up. :up:

For those of you who haven't heard, I got hired as a freelance reviewer for a local weekly paper, which I know I can do. The pittance I get paid for each article would at least pay for the movie ticket and some popcorn, what could be better? However, my first assignment was to interview some people about a play... Yikes. :eek:

25. TKodami Resident Ninja

Wow, you sure are braver than I am, Triplet! I'm a creative writer (I've taken four years of fiction & poetry workshops at UCI) who decided long ago that the time demands & writing style of journalism just wasn't for me. I'm really impressed that you're making that leap.

I understand how nerve wracking sending work off to an editor can be. Especially when the assignment isn't clicking. For what it's worth, I really enjoy your clear prose style. From what I know of literary journalism, your reviews demonstrate a good handle on what makes a good journalist. You always communicate your biases (such as in your Mortal review), you write concisely, you take multiple perspectives on an episode (I love how you note cinamatography & set design as well as more obvious points like acting & writing)--not to mention you analyze character development superbly.

Or, in short, I'd say: "don't worry too much about it." :)