Triplet...

TKodami said:
No, I couldn't tell that you hadn't ever seen it. I just thought you were really good about presenting the core themes of the work without revealing anything crucial about the plot. I'm going to give your review another thumbs up for the excellent integration of internet research. :up::up:

:D :up:

You can find almost anything you need to on the internet. It's a beautiful thing. :D

Anymore word when they will put your review up trip?

Red X Tight freakin Avatar!!!!! That is so freakin amazing!!!

Oh, thanks...

Well, I write the first draft of the recap right after my initial viewing of the episode. If I have to watch it again to firm up my feelings on an episode (With Ageless I had to watch three times to decide how exactly I wanted to rip it apart, with Reckoning I had to watch it twice before I could even process it all...) I'll tweak it and make sure I didn't get stuff out of order, which happens from time to time. Then once I'm done with the review and recap, I'll watch it again to see if I missed anything and then send it off to my two proofers.

They help me do sanity checks on the reviews before I send them to Craig and they usually help me make the the recap clearer and more concise. (Craig doesn't have time to edit my reviews, so before I started doing that some weirdness got put up online.)

Although I'm a writer, my grasp of grammar leaves a lot to be desired so I need some proofing.... Sometimes my sentences are funky too... I dunno why. They help me clarify things a lot.

(Thanks to my proof readers.... you know who you are.)

As for how long they take, sometimes they're easy to write and other times not. More complicated plot points can be difficult to explain in a short recap.

I do the recaps mostly to get that out of the way. Started doing that when I reviewed on TVtome (they required recaps in all their reviews) but kept on doing it once I jumped ship to k-site so I didn't end up writing a recap every week instead of a review, like a lot of reviewers tend to do. I hate that.

Triplet have you noticed that they've changed the long add break to appear now after the 1st act. Why do you think they did that?

avidreader said:
Triplet have you noticed that they've changed the long add break to appear now after the 1st act. Why do you think they did that?

there are long ad breaks? never knew that...

are those the acuvue plugs, ford plugs, etc?

boyscouT said:
there are long ad breaks? never knew that...

are those the acuvue plugs, ford plugs, etc?

They used to take an extra long break at the halfway mark. More commercials, more advertising of WB shows, it used to go for about 3 or 4 minutes. Now the halfway mark seems to be just a 1 or 2 minute break and the longer break is after the 1st Act.

Triplet gave me a very good description one day on add breaks and act breaks etc etc, so I wondered if she knew why they changed the long break.

There's probably a reason behind it but I don't know what it would be....

Well, the reason they used to do the extra long break at the halfway point to begin with is to help keep people from switching channels to something else.

So, they would have an extremely strong cliff-hanger at the end of the act break right before the half-way point so you load up on all the commercials you can then when your audience is more or less captive. (You know, they'll stay tuned through all the extra ads and NOT change channels because they can't wait to see what happens next.)

As for why they might change it? I dunno. I hadn't read anything that would explain it, the reasoning probably isn't the same it used to be (ie: what I just wrote above).

triplet said:
Well, the reason they used to do the extra long break at the halfway point to begin with is to help keep people from switching channels to something else.

So, they would have an extremely strong cliff-hanger at the end of the act break right before the half-way point so you load up on all the commercials you can then when your audience is more or less captive. (You know, they'll stay tuned through all the extra ads and NOT change channels because they can't wait to see what happens next.)

As for why they might change it? I dunno. I hadn't read anything that would explain it, the reasoning probably isn't the same it used to be (ie: what I just wrote above).

I don't have a good explination for why they decided to change the long commercial break's position, but I do like that it slows down the pace of the first half of the show and lets the exposition sink in, while the rising action / climax fly by with smaller interruptions.

trip where have your season 4 reviews over at k-site gone?

I checked them, they're all there.

I only started with Onyx....

Really? I can't seem to find them. Anyway the reason I was looking for them is I rewatched the pilot and it reminded me of something you said in your the Onyx review.

I thinkl you said that the episode's writer forgot that Lex had never been in the mansion till he moved to smallville, but in the pilot Lex tells Clark that the mansion was moved brick by brick from Scotland, their for Lex must have been in the mansion when he was younger.

Red X said:
Really? I can't seem to find them. Anyway the reason I was looking for them is I rewatched the pilot and it reminded me of something you said in your the Onyx review.

I thinkl you said that the episode's writer forgot that Lex had never been in the mansion till he moved to smallville, but in the pilot Lex tells Clark that the mansion was moved brick by brick from Scotland, their for Lex must have been in the mansion when he was younger.

http://www.kryptonsite.com/onyxreview.htm

He told Clark, "My father never intended living here. He's never even stepped through the front door."

I suppose if they'd used the castle in Scotland before it got shipped to Kansas that might explain that line in context of what Lex and Alexander talked about in the cellar, however that is seriously splitting hairs, Red.

triplet said:
http://www.kryptonsite.com/onyxreview.htm

He told Clark, "My father never intended living here. He's never even stepped through the front door."

I suppose if they'd used the castle in Scotland before it got shipped to Kansas that might explain that line in context of what Lex and Alexander talked about in the cellar, however that is seriously splitting hairs, Red.

Fair enough i just thought of it when i saw the pilot again.

Did you ever do a Crusade review?

Red X said:
Fair enough i just thought of it when i saw the pilot again.

Did you ever do a Crusade review?

Yeah, I did but not on KryptonSite... it was on TVtome, which is now defunct which is a good thing since you don't want to read it.

I had just been starting reviewing back at the start of Season 4 so it's pretty bad.

I think I gave the episode a 4 or a 4.5, if that helps... I can check it later if you want.

Did you did it? The review that is.

Red X said:
Did you did it? The review that is.

Oh, do you mean did I find it?

Yeah... you want me to post it anyway?

It's not that great a review and I wasn't too impressed with Tom's performance in that episode at the time, although now I don't think I woulda been that hard on him.

Well, you asked for it:

In all, with a few lapses, this is probably one of the better episodes. It had a little bit of everything, love, laughter, amnesia, Superman mythos, sexual tension, mystery and Tom Welling naked. What else could you ask for?

Tom, aside from side benefit of showing a lot of skin, probably could have done better. He seemed a bit stiff, and I'm not sure that was solely motivated by being Kal-El for the most of the episode. Apart from this, the acting for the rest of cast was pretty good.

I must say the best part of this episode was the special effects. It started off with the lightning and the pulse of energy that landed Clark in the corn field. It took off with Kal-El's flight. That was really cool, for lack of a better adjective.

I found the black kryptonite crystal effect splitting Kal-El and Clark apart interesting, but admittedly also a bit strange. It was inexplicable how this also seemed to heal Jonathan. I hope they explain that one later, hopefully in the same episode where they explain Lana's tattoo…

Technically the episode was top notch. Glen Winter's photography was brilliant and the show was beautifully shot. I especially loved the fact that he sold a sand pit in Vancouver as the Egyptian desert. It looked hot. The scenes in the cave with Kal-El the lighting evoked his cold emotionless self so well. It was harsh and bright. And once Kal-El was gone and Martha was holding Clark in her arms, the lighting had become warmer and earthy. It was very well done.

I also liked the new wardrobe for Lana. A lot. I know that in previous seasons Lana was known for pink and pastels, so much so that Kristin Kruek even would get sent pink items as gifts from fans… She hates the color apparently. I don't blame her, it doesn't really suit her skin coloring as well as the darker shades she's wearing in this episode. I hope she never goes back to pink.

This episode, of course, marks the series debut of several new characters. The beautiful Erica Durance bows as Lois, but in an uneven performance.

She sparkles when it comes to more intimate moments, but hasn't quite gotten the street smart, single-mindedness of Lois down just yet. I found a majority of her scene with Martha in the Kents' kitchen annoying. She was talking and walking around so fast, it was almost like she was jacked up on way too much caffeine. However, at the end when she was explaining why it was so important to find out what happened to Chloe she pulled back quite a bit and delivered a remarkably powerful moment.

Maybe once she does a few more episodes, she'll get the hang of it. She undoubtedly has a great onscreen chemistry with Tom Welling and her scene at Chloe's grave was extremely effective. Lois' scene with Lionel was close to brilliant. You have to admire an actress who can hold her own with John Glover.

Jenson Ackles is seriously cute, and exceedingly charming, as Lana's new love interest, Jason Teague. He clearly has some great onscreen chemistry with Kristin Kruek, which is wonderful. I'm not sure I really ever saw any between Kristin and her season 3 love interest Ian Somerhalder (who played the ill-fated Adam Knight). Jason seems to bring out a lighter side of Lana which I think will be welcome. She is always so serious with Clark, even in this episode you can still see that side of her. So I can't wait to see how the love triangle between Clark, Jason and Lana works out and how this affects Lana's relationship with Lex. I'm really looking forward to this season.

In this episode Margot Kidder shows up in the first of two planned guest appearances as Bridgett Crosby, Dr. Swann's assistant. Like Erica, her performance was a bit uneven to start but once she warmed up I liked her character. I hope she explains the black kryptonite thing in her next appearance.

I like the way the mythos is being explored in this episode, but the massive number of references made to the Superman Universe in it was probably overkill. Some of the references were amusing, like Lois saying that she likes geeks with glasses. I laughed out loud at that one. And Clark wearing the red blanket like a cape was a subtle nod to his future self.

And about the flying: As cool as it was, it's probably partly a ratings ploy that worked. Against the ratings juggernaut that is Lost, they did very well coming in fourth. I understand that Al & Miles had a "no flights, no tights" rule but come on. It was Clark who flew, no matter who he thought he was at the time.

It's strange that he flew as Kal-El but can't, or won't, now that he's Clark again. It's patently ridiculous, actually. Millar and Gough broke their own rule and made up some silly reason why it doesn't count, "After all: it wasn't Clark, it was Kal-El." Yeah, right.

Whatever.

They should keep Clark flying. It was way cool and could come in very handy but they probably won't... Too bad.

4 and half stars outta five.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"