Inhumans TV Caliber Actors

Mike Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
With a TV show, I think casting discussions have to lower their standards a bit. That being said, I don't think an HBO or Netflix quality cast is completely out of the question given the low number of episodes and the seeming desire to make something movie quality. So, in looking at actors, I think there are a couple of areas that are viable:

Movie Actors who are looking for a comeback on TV - Matthew McConaughey is the prime example of this, but I'm sure there are other good examples. Basically, this is someone who has the presence to carry a movie, but, for whatever reason, hasn't had much success recently. I think the casting for Medusa would likely fall under this category since she's probably the star of the show. Black Bolt might as well.

Actors from "Premium" Television on HBO, Netflix, AMC, etc. - Basically, if there are good actors from these shows that would fit well with a certain character, it would make sense to include them. I'm thinking shows like Game of Thrones, Rome, Spartacus, Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, The Wire, etc. In particular, shows known for elaborate costume or set designs because they're either genre shows (Game of Thrones) or historical shows (Rome, Spartacus) would fit well. For example, Kevin McKidd (who played Lucius Vorenus on Rome) is in this category (he's apparently been on Grey's Anatomy recently, which is a huge waste of his talent).

Genre Actor Regulars - I think it's inevitable that people who just often appear in science fiction or fantasy shows will get considered as well. For example, I'd have no problem with a Nestor Carbonell or Henry Ian Cusick (both from LOST) playing a role if it fits.

Obviously, many of the roles could go to unknown, up and coming actors. I think Crystal, Triton, and maybe even Gorgon are less important compared to Medusa, Black Bolt, Maximus, and Karnak. I could see Gorgon possibly even being a wrestler or someone like that, like how they got Dave Bautista for Guardians to play Drax.

So what do you think? Are these the types of actors that make sense to look for? Are there other types they should consider? Am I being unrealistic to think even these are options? What actors looking for a comeback would fit with the lead roles in this show?

Brendan Fraser would fall into the category of actors looking for a comeback. He has done a lot of goofy stuff in his career, but he may be a good option for Black Bolt. He has good physical presence and he has a pretty expressive face.

It really does depend. One of the biggest shifts in the modern TV landscape was the increased willingness of movie actors to dabble in television, such as Billy Bob Thorton doing Fargo and that new Amazon series he has. There isn't as much of a stigma as there once was (since for many years, it was generally accepted that movie stars only did TV when their career was in the tubes and they needed a quick paycheck).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think we'll be getting A-list actors or anything like that, but if the product is seriously quality, it could attract some movie caliber actors. Heck on ABC alone they have two time Oscar nominee Viola Davis (who looks like she's about to get ANOTHER Oscar nomination for Fences with Denzel Washington) as the star of How to Get Away With Murder.

Brendan Fraser would fall into the category of actors looking for a comeback. He has done a lot of goofy stuff in his career, but he may be a good option for Black Bolt. He has good physical presence and he has a pretty expressive face.

He's a name that comes up and fits this category completely, but I think he'd be a terrible pick for Black Bolt. He just doesn't have the look.

He's a name that comes up and fits this category completely, but I think he'd be a terrible pick for Black Bolt. He just doesn't have the look.

I kinda think he could pull it off, though some recent photos of him are not too kind.

Here is a genre actress that might be good for Medusa - Mila Jovavich. She is scifi tested and has obviously played a badass. I'd also thow out there Rachelle Lefevre.

8 Episodes + Marvel Brand + Actually Superheroes (Instead of human support characters) = They can get their first pick of the litter

No more Aos level of casting. That is one of the worst casting I've seen on a TV show.

Anyway I don't really care if the actor is or was a regular in a "premium" cable show. As long as actor is good and looks the part, then all is goodml. I've seen a lot of shows that are on the air right now (ABC, Fox, NBC) with talented actors, and there are still a lot of actors that get nominated for an Emmy and they aren't in a "premium" cable show.

Last edited:
I don't think it's going to be hard to lure top talent to this project. As soon as the Hollywood agent's see the Marvel stamp, they'll come flocking. Even oscar winners have bills to pay.

And tbh, there's plenty of amazing unknown talent just waiting to be discovered. I'll be happy with a mix of new talent and vets.

Let's not pretend that Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston were big names before Thor. They were just as unknown as any random actor that could get picked for this Inhumans project.

I kinda think he could pull it off, though some recent photos of him are not too kind.

Here is a genre actress that might be good for Medusa - Mila Jovavich. She is scifi tested and has obviously played a badass. I'd also thow out there Rachelle Lefevre.

None of those three have the range to pull off Black Bolt or Medusa.

My pick for Maximus is Finn Wittrock from American Horror Story fame. He has the look and an insane amount of range. He can play crazy, brilliant, cunning, and just about everything.

ahs-american-horror-story-evan-peters-hotel-Favim.com-3743171.gif

tumblr_ngelcsk0ey1r72dfyo3_500.gif

tumblr_ng13vaha9k1tjydheo3_500.gif

tumblr_nhu9d3a2rp1rawb5do1_500death.gif

9d7aac70-46dd-0132-0afd-0eae5eefacd9.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Milla Jovovich is an interesting one, but can you think of a role where she actually acted? Fifth Element really doesn't count.

Milla Jovovich is an interesting one, but can you think of a role where she actually acted? Fifth Element really doesn't count.

I think she is fine in Resident Evil, for what it is (I've only seen a few of them). But I think this goes back to your original point, which is a good one. What we are looking at as far as actors for this series is this mid-tier, genre level. Anyone who thinks that Jessica Chastain is going to sign up for this is setting themselves up for disappointment. I think we will get people we recognize, they just won't be A-list and that's OK

I'm not sure I like Finn Whitrock for Black Bolt, fine actor but seems too young. I'll put another name out there: David Morrisey.

Finn Whitrock would make a good Maximus
People mention Brendan Fraser for a comeback a lot but his leading man days are probably over.

Fraser's looks are not what they used to be. He is nearing 50, his weight has gone fluctuated over recent years and his hair loss got really bad. This sounds harsh but in Hollywood actors are a commodity and someone like Fraser isn't the kind of guy they will stick on a movie poster with how he looks now.

Fraser could still make a comeback in comedic films or serious dramatic dramas but his action hero days are probably done.

Casting for Inhumans will depend on what direction they want the show to go in.

Is the first season going to be an origin story? Is the first season going to be the current generation of the royal family coming to power, venturing into the outside world, reforming Inhuman society and dealing with threats from within and outside like they did aback in earlier comics? Or are they going to skip all that and go to the royals already being well established and experienced dealing with new threats or situations? Marvel could possibly deal with some of the earlier stuff in flashbacks.

TV is generally about arcs and character development so I imagine Marvel might want to go with a younger Blackbolt and the royals coming to power. It would certainly start the show with a bang by killing of Blackbolt and Maximus parents within the first couple episodes and showing Blackbolt take the throne. If they are going that route then we might want to rule out 40 or 50 something actors for most of the royal roles.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just not a fan seeing younger versions of the characters ascend to royalty. We are already kinda seeing that with Thor and Black Panther as they wrestle with assuming the power of the throne. I'd rather see them firmly entrenched as the royal family.

I vote John Krasinski for Black Bolt

I think she is fine in Resident Evil, for what it is (I've only seen a few of them). But I think this goes back to your original point, which is a good one. What we are looking at as far as actors for this series is this mid-tier, genre level. Anyone who thinks that Jessica Chastain is going to sign up for this is setting themselves up for disappointment. I think we will get people we recognize, they just won't be A-list and that's OK

I'm not sure I like Finn Whitrock for Black Bolt, fine actor but seems too young. I'll put another name out there: David Morrisey.

My bad, I actually meant to write Finn Wittrock for Maximus.

Finn Whitrock would make a good Maximus

People mention Brendan Fraser for a comeback a lot but his leading man days are probably over.

Fraser's looks are not what they used to be. He is nearing 50, his weight has gone fluctuated over recent years and his hair loss got really bad. This sounds harsh but in Hollywood actors are a commodity and someone like Fraser isn't the kind of guy they will stick on a movie poster with how he looks now.

Fraser could still make a comeback in comedic films or serious dramatic dramas but his action hero days are probably done.

There you go! :D

A good Black Bolt would be Geno Segers from Banshee and Teen Wolf. This guy has, by far, the most physical charisma and presence on TV, and has great facial expressions.

chayton14mk8g.gif
tumblr_nhzn5snSuj1qddpzeo2_250.gif

chayton2kgsha.gif
chayton7o5sjt.gif

9040f5e9e83181e82b9483dcf4433981.jpg
19-snap.gif

There's also the fact that he's a fantastic actor!

Before we get carried away with A lister talk, lets not forget that that the MCU was built on unknowns (or mildly successful but talented actors). Chris Evans, Tom Hiddleston, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo. These guy's weren't close to being A list famous.

And even Netflix hired a bunch of no names for the defenders. Other than Krysten Ritter, I had no idea who any of them were when they were first cast.

Also Game of thrones currently hasn't got a single actor that is "Hollywood famous" and there cast is phenomenally talented.

I hope this show is cast with talented unknowns, and maybe have the occasional famous face make a cameo.

I vote John Krasinski for Black Bolt

He could actually make for a decent Maximus. He has comedic instincts, but won't go over the top.

I thought I'd post this podcast (for many reasons), but, specifically, they discussed some casting ideas. The winner did a good job of picking actors who had a realistic shot (they focused on British television actors, which helped a lot).

It's an interesting idea, at least. Of course, speculating too much could lead to disappointment depending on who is ultimately cast.

I thought I'd post this podcast (for many reasons), but, specifically, they discussed some casting ideas. The winner did a good job of picking actors who had a realistic shot (they focused on British television actors, which helped a lot).

It's an interesting idea, at least. Of course, speculating too much could lead to disappointment depending on who is ultimately cast.

Fun podcast. Loved the choices. We need to make some kind of hastag for Riz Ahmed as Karnak.

And as they discussed, Inhumans would really be the perfect cast to experiment with diversity and race swapping.

I mean technically the Inhumans are not even Caucasian. There's plenty of flexibility there.

Tbh There's some artist depiction of Gorgan that had me thinking he was modeled as a black man for a while.

Let's not forget that an HBO level cast could include an actor who won an Oscar THAT YEAR for best actor in a movie (Matthew McConaughey)

Geena Davis has an Oscar...and was on a Fox show recently.

Cuba Gooding Jr has an Oscar...and was recently on two series on FX.

If Marvel chooses to fill their cast with lesser talent then it will be because they don't care enough to do otherwise.

Given the thing is being backed by IMAX, I imagine there will be at least some fairly high caliber talent involved. Not necessarily Oscar winners, but certainly the kind of people you'd expect on prestige TV series.

I want someone who could easily be in a film, or has been in films before as a lead.

But are they really going to cast a big actor for Blackbolt since his part is entirely silent? Maybe they'll just get the big actors for the likes of Medusa, Crystal and Maximus, if they even get those types at all. I hope they're not just TV actors. What's this I hear about Elysia Rotaru possibly as Medusa? She was in Arrow. I don't think she's very well known at all. She's not really what I would want for the role.

Would it be insane to look at Richard Armitage for a new MCU role on TV even though he already played a HYDRA agent?

I think it should be OK because Alfre Woodard had roles in both Civil War and Luke Cage.

Well so did Enver Gjokaj who had a small role in the Avengers, and then a bigger one in Agent Carter.

And isn't there the principal in Spider-Man: Homecoming who was one of the Howling Commandos in the First Avenger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"