Twilight of Asgard: the SURTUR thread

Hemsworth looks kinda small here, nothing near the size he was in the first Thor movie.
I gotta agree but then again that had to be later on in the filming process where he is far from his prime form. That's how it normally works, he reaches his peak form when the filming starts and also they rearrange the filming schedule so they can film most of the "muscle body" scenes first because he will gradually loose weight and get more and more lean and cut as the time progresses because it's hard to keep that prime level for a long period of time. Chris Hemsworth talked about that a while ago.

There are several examples in the footage we have seen until now when we see his shape variating in size. The Muspelheim scenes for example where the first ones to be shot and he looks massive on those and also when they are cutting his hair on Sakaar...

Thor-Ragnarok-Hair-cut_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
He had all the muscles for nothing in the first movie & TDW, he had very little feats of strength.

Why make an actor get huge for a role where he plays a character with super strength, if you're not even going to show it off?

"Muspelheim is essentially a Dyson sphere which is an enormous structure around a star," Hennah said. "The premise is this has been here for a long time, and it's coated in the residue of a dying star and it's drawing energy from a dying star. It's populated by demons and dragons and all sorts of creatures. It has internal spaces which are vast."

But along with the creatures that have been accidentally released inside The Collector’s Fortress, one terrifying monster you will encounter is Surtur’s Fire Dragon, seen in the artist’s rendering above from Walt Disney Imagineering. This terrifying monster will also appear in the upcoming “Thor: Ragnarok” in theaters on November 3.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/09/take-a-look-inside-guardians-of-the-galaxy-monsters-after-dark-opening-soon-during-halloween-time-at-the-disneyland-resort/?CMP=SOC-DPFY17Q4wo0914170920170001C

akgjrhgu874.jpg

The more i read/discover about this movie the more insanely epic it becomes. I'm sorry but... "SURTUR'S FIRE DRAGON!" OMG. That thing looks absolutely insane.

Mother-of_God.gif

I wonder if this is the "Midgard Serpent" the set visit reports we're talking about. They could have misunderstood the concept art and it is in fact "Surtur's fire dragon". Or it could be the MCU interpretation of the "Midgard Serpent". Man i can't wait to see that beast. I love dragons and that one in particular looks insane, a mixture of catfish, goat, snake and dragon. It looks crazy.

2DHxi_-nkhY.jpg

Children book from Thor Ragnarok on sale October 10th. Looks to me like the same dragon.
https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/r-r-busse/marvels-thor-ragnarok-into-the-fire/9780316413909/?yen

TbZHEWC3xwU.jpg

Last edited:
Please (don't) stop Waititi, the amount of awesome you're packing into this movie is going to kill me!

Also, I really dig that description of Muspelheim. Gives it a nice cosmic twist while still allowing it to be a fiery hellscape.

Man Taika is really blowing my mind, if I were meet him in person I'm going to hug him and lift him up off the ground.

This is so awesome!! It has everything to be epic. I do believe this will be the Thor movie fans deserve!!

I hope Thor fights Surtur's dragon at the beginning of the movie though, there's enough going on in the final battle.

It would be good to have a big fight at the beginning of the film in Muspelheim so we can see the power of Mjolnir. Then when Thor loses the hammer it will be fresh in mind what he lost and he can then show where the true power lies.

Mjölnir;35702057 said:
It would be good to have a big fight at the beginning of the film in Muspelheim so we can see the power of Mjolnir. Then when Thor loses the hammer it will be fresh in mind what he lost and he can then show where the true power lies.

EXACTLY ! :thor:

Not saying it's him but it looks more like Fin Fang Foom to me.
Interesting that you say that. They could have drawn inspiration from that character too. And by the way just going through some of the images from the comics i found one in particular involving Fin Fang Foom that is very similar to something we have seen already...

tumblr_ovy8p8qZPW1ui45hlo1_1280.gif

thor-vs-fin-fang-foom.jpg

Interesting that you say that. They could have drawn inspiration from that character too. And by the way just going through some of the images from the comics i found one in particular involving Fin Fang Foom that is very similar to something we have seen already...

tumblr_ovy8p8qZPW1ui45hlo1_1280.gif

thor-vs-fin-fang-foom.jpg

I know they are saying it is a dragon, but most dragons have wings and the image from the Disney Adventure showing the so called dragon he does not appear to have any wings. So, I don't think it is Fin Fang Foom. I was thinking he is more likely the Mid Guard Serpent as the Midgard Serpent has also been drawn with Arms by Marvel, so to me it seemed the more likely interpretation.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xDIN7bl45dg/UjhtvYKTQ6I/AAAAAAAAKt4/iMME7sAjIFk/s640/midgard+serpent.jpg

However, in the distance in the dark I noticed in the photo from Disney Adventure there is back legs which does not fit well with the Mid Guard Serpent either.

Therefore, it is my belief that this is just a entirely made up creation for the movie.

Surfer

Last edited:
Mjölnir;35702057 said:

If they are smart that's exactly what should happen.

Thats just a dragon from muspelheim. Taika said there are dragons and demons there. Plus, Jormmungandr isn't from Muspelheim

I highly doubt they would do that. For the 50th time, Hela is the primary villain of this film, NOT Surtur. They're not going to completely overshadow her by giving the climactic battle to someone else. The hero's big final fight is always against the Big Bad, that's a CBM staple.

Thor defeating Hela before the big final fight would be crap (especially considering the director, cast and producer have all repeatedly talked about how supremely powerful she is) and I, for one, would be incredibly disappointed.
I think pretty much everyone knows that Hela is the primary villain. And she will be the main focus of the film and the driving force behind the events of Thor: Ragnarok. Having said that i hope they really give the shine to Surtur that he really deserves. After all he is destined to bring about Ragnarok and it would be a deservice to so many great and epic storylines from the comics if he was just something of an after thought.

In Doctor Strange for example the villain in the fore front was Kaecilius and his henchmen which in term was doing Dormammu's biding. I am not saying Hela and Surtur will be treated the same way because i am absolutely sure it won't but just to keep things in perspective.

I love what they have done with Hela and she is going to have the spotlight for most of the movie in the villains side of things but i also want Surtur to be the threat that he should be. It's still not set in stone that Surtur will appear in Asgard even though we know that Hulk at some point is going at him and the [BLACKOUT]faceplate will also be in Asgard[/BLACKOUT]. My guess and wish is that Surtur does indeed appear in Asgard because that's a massive thing from the comics and something i would love to witness.

I would happily find a middle ground in this discussion and have the ending be something like this... Hela will be defeated but at what cost? Well my idea would be that when she is in the brink of defeat and as a last resource Hela would decide to lay waste to the hole of Asgard by combining Surtur and the Eternal Flame.

But that's just me theorizing and most likely i am wrong about the final outcome. One thing is for sure the hole Surtur situation is still a blur a this point and kind of hard to figure out what is really happening on that side of things. I guess in the 3rd trailer we could get something that will shed a light on that hole situation and the big epic finale.

Last edited:
Hard to see, but when the angle changes it appears there are two hilts. Is it one sword?

Are you referring to the extra crossguard on the sword? That was seen the first time we saw Surtur and they are on the same sword, yes.

$

By the looks of it is one giant 2 handed sword with like "4 cross guards". Something like this.

PIN_571_7.jpg

Mjölnir;35741457 said:
Are you referring to the extra crossguard on the sword? That was seen the first time we saw Surtur and they are on the same sword, yes.

$

Yup. You got it. Pretty cool design

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"