Two-Part Batman: The Long Halloween Animated film possibly in the works?!

Maybe it's because he's so ingrained in my head as the Red Hood, but I'm really not digging Ackles' Wayne/Batman.

BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN: David Dastmalchian On Playing Calendar Man, Penguin, AND Polka-Dot Man (Exclusive)

What a year to be David Dastmalchian. The Ant-Man star (where we'll sure you'll remember him from as Scott Lang's buddy Kurt) is not only set to play Polka-Dot Man in James Gunn's The Suicide Squad, but also voices both Calendar Man and The Penguin in parts 1 and 2 of Batman: The Long Halloween.

Last week, we had the opportunity to briefly catch up with David to discuss his role as the sinister Calendar Man in Part One, but we had to ask which of his three roles he found most enjoyable (or challenging). Time was limited, so we didn't get a chance to ask much about The Suicide Squad, but we're sure you'll find this more insightful than the actor sharing his excitement for the movie!

"[Laughs] Oh, it's impossible to pick. If you look in my office or if you'd have looked in my room many years ago, and now I'm a 'grown-up' quote, unquote, it's an office, but I've now sorted the thousands of comic books I've collected," the actor started. "I can go from Justice League to Detective Comics over to my love of Marvel and Dark Horse and Image and Boom and you name it!"

"To me, there's so much magnificent work and so many characters brilliant people have imagined over time, for me, it's hard to quantify exactly which character I like most. Each of them is unique and they're like your children or something when you get to bring them to life," Dastmalchian continued. "I'll say too, what a challenge thinking about Tim Sheridan in adapting one of the greatest comic book achievements of all time. You think about what Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale did and it's inspired so many comics. It's gone on to be canon and the dialogue and scripting is done so well. It's so beautiful and a really gorgeous script, so it was a lot of fun to sink my teeth into."

I've watched several of the DC Animated films and there have been some great ones! I still need to catch-up on them as well. I believe I'm behind a bit. The animation here looks interesting as well. There have been a few films I was just not a fan of the animation style.

Just pre ordered my cop from Best Buy! should be here on release day.

Why Batman: The Long Halloween’s Julie Nathanson Didn’t Read The Original Story Before Doing The Animated Movie

When I recently interviewed Julie Nathanson about Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One, she mentioned that although her usual process for preparing for a role involves a lot of reading, she decided to forgo that for this first half of the Batman: The Long Halloween animated adaptation. In the actress’ words:

Specifically with The Long Halloween, I was definitely aware of the story and knew something about it ahead of time, I’d never read it. And while my process is usually read every single thing I possibly can and pull the knowledge from anything that might help me understand the character, I did some thing different with this one and I did not allow myself to purchase or read The Long Halloween until we had finished principal recording. And I did that because The Long Halloween source material was what was being adapted and created for screen in The Long Halloween movie. I know that sounds pretty obvious. But because it was ostensibly to be this universe, this story that Gilda would be living in, I wanted to make sure I was staying within the universe I was being offered. So I wanted to let Gilda be real for the first time for this trajectory of this story based on the script.

However, once Julie Nathanson finished recording her lines for Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One and Part Two, then she rushed to read the original story to see how it compared to the project she took part in. As Nathanson recalled:

And then, as soon as we were finished, I immediately picked up and read The Long Halloween, and I was so excited because I felt that it was congruent and intact, and I feel that the movie itself did a really wonderful job of honoring the story that it did in The Long Halloween, with some nuances to help it come to life on screen. And I found it fascinating to read after having done principal recording, and I feel really proud of what we’ve done, and I’ve been excited for people to see and experience this movie, Adam, for three years. This is the longest secret to keep. I’ve wanted to shout this one from the rooftops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"