VH1'S 100 Greatest Artists of All Time

javon

Superhero
Reaction score
VH1 goes back to its music roots and revisits the age-old question: "Who is the greatest music artist for all time?" Determined by a poll of well-known music artists and music experts in the industry, VH1 will reveal this definitive (and sure-to-be highly controversial) list declaring who is the greatest of the great. The 4-night special, VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time," premieres Monday, September 6 at 10/9c with a 2-hour premiere.​

VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time"
1. The Beatles
2. Bob Dylan
3. Michael Jackson
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Rolling Stones
6. Jimi Hendrix
7. Prince
8. Elvis Presley
9. James Brown
10. Stevie Wonder
11. Bob Marley
12. David Bowie
13. The Who
14. Nirvana
15. The Beach Boys
16. Madonna
17. Queen
18. Pink Floyd
19. U2
20. Marvin Gaye
21. Bruce Springsteen
22. The Clash
23. AC/DC
24. The Velvet Underground
25. Chuck Berry
26. Neil Young
27. Aretha Franklin
28. Elton John
29. Radiohead
30. Aerosmith
31. John Lennon
32. Black Sabbath
33. Guns N' Roses
34. Tina Turner
35. Johnny Cash
36. Paul McCartney
37. Fleetwood Mac
38. Sly & The Family Stone
39. The Kinks
40. The Police
41. Van Halen
42. Metallica
43. Ray Charles
44. Joni Mitchell
45. Al Green
46. Ramones
47. Jay-Z
48. Rage Against The Machine
49. Parliament-Funkadelic
50. Sade
51. Billy Joel
52. Beyonce
53. Little Richard
54. Public Enemy
55. Peter Gabriel
56. KISS
57. Iggy & The Stooges
58. Cheap Trick
59. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
60. Whitney Houston
61. Cream
62. Genesis
63. Notorious B.I.G.
64. Talking Heads
65. The Doors
66. Justin Timberlake
67. Coldplay
68. Otis Redding
69. Tupac Shakur
70. Def Leppard
71. R.E.M.
72. Janis Joplin
73. Van Morrison
74. The Cure
75. Rush
76. Run-D.M.C.
77. Lynyrd Skynyrd
78. Judas Priest
79. Eminem
80. Mary J. Blige
81. ABBA
82. Steely Dan
83. Earth, Wind and Fire
84. Curtis Mayfield
85. The Band
86. N.W.A.
87. George Michael
88. Bee Gees
89. Beastie Boys
90. Elvis Costello
91. Green Day
92. LL Cool J
93. Pearl Jam
94. Mariah Carey
95. OutKast
96. Journey
97. Pretenders
98. Depeche Mode
99. Hall & Oates
100. Alicia Keys

Well,let's discuss it. I personally find it a bit...well...not well thought out, but that's just my opinion.

http://blog.vh1.com/2010-08-25/who-...-artists-of-all-time/comment-page-2/#comments

I like AC/DC... but it's wierd seeing them on that list.

I like several on the list but.....No Sinatra?

Great to see The Kinks on there, but really...no Chairman of the Board? That's kind of ridiculous.

Lists are stupid. You like what you like, some TV tastmaker is not the person to tell you who is or is not great.

Lists are stupid. You like what you like, some TV tastmaker is not the person to tell you who is or is not great.

I have no idea why Mariah Carey is so far down the list. Or how Madonna is so far ahead of Aretha. Or why Jay-Z is in the top 50, and is ahead of Pac and Biggie. Or how Beyonce is ahead of Whitney Houston. O why Justin Timberlake is even on this list.

Some of these choices and rankings boggle the mind....:huh:

Not too bad a list by VH1 standards. Some of the rankings are suspect, though. I can't see how AC/DC was good, important, or maybe even popular enough to be in the top 25.

VH1 is known for dumb lists. Remember when they did the greatest `80s songs and put some dumb Bon Jovi song at #1?

Gotta love the vagueness of the term "great".

Coldplay on that list?? wtf? They're nothing but self admitted hack copy cat artists, and they deserve to be successfully by every band they've ripped off... loser self righteous pieces of dumb talentless ****...

The fact that Alicia Keys and Justin Timberlake are even on the list discredits it as far as I'm concerned.

Justin Timberlake beat out the Beastie Boys and Eminem?

and The Doors at 65? They should be in the top 30.

I'll take Alicia Keys over Beyonce.
Neither of them deserves to be there imo, but if I had to have one I would rather have Beyonce.

Also, I'm appalled that some of the commentators are arguing that Michael Jackson only got his ranking because he died. I don't care whether you hate(d) the man or not - you cannot deny the profound influence he has had on the music industry. One person even said that he would fade away in a few years. Like, hello! The guy has been famous since he was a kid in the sixties and Thriller is still the best-selling album of all time by far. That last part alone should be enough to put him in the top three. Goodness gracious. I understand that this is all a matter of opinion, but some people are so ignorant that it's infuriating.

/rant

3 female artists in the top 40? wow

edit: and no way is Janis Joplin 72

The fact that Alicia Keys and Justin Timberlake are even on the list discredits it as far as I'm concerned.

Wow. Look at that. You and me agree on something.

And how is Lil' Wayne not on this list?

:dry:

I wouldn't mind seeing a top 100 list like this come from the UK...and compare.

I'll take Alicia Keys over Beyonce.
Same here. It's clear that this list is kinda trying to appeal to younger people by throwing Justim Timberlake in here. The fact that Beyonce is above Whitney proves that. And the fact that Jay-Z is in the top 50, or on the list at all. Or why Madonna is in the top 20. This will erk me forever :dry:

I could argue with the rankings as far as who should be higher or lower all day, and it is really just my personal opinion.

Also personal opinion...Nirvana should not even be on the list. They are the most over-rated band in the history of rock n roll. They were hardly original or ground breaking, as that style had been around for quite some time...and their songs were mostly poorly performed, badly written crap.

I could argue with the rankings as far as who should be higher or lower all day, and it is really just my personal opinion.

Also personal opinion...Nirvana should not even be on the list. They are the most over-rated band in the history of rock n roll. They were hardly original or ground breaking, as that style had been around for quite some time...and their songs were mostly poorly performed, badly written crap.
Yeah I found it a bit o that they were even that high up. But I mean VH1 is known for crappy lists and what not. I just think its pretty fun to see people's opinion's over this stuff, that's why I posted it. Some names and rankings on here are just ignorant though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"