VH1'S 100 Greatest Artists of All Time

Are there any country artists in the list?

I'm beginning to think the list should have been called "The top 100 rock/pop/folk/rap/reggae artists that made videos that we can show on T.V."

Just went back over the list a few times. There are no country artists. No Willy Nelson? That's not right. I mean they put freakin' Beyonce on that list but not the Red Headed Stranger? COME ON! I'm not a country fan but there are some country artists that should probably be on that list.

The fact that Alicia Keys and Justin Timberlake are even on the list discredits it as far as I'm concerned.

VH1 is a Rock music chnnel. Sinatra, Gershwin, Yoyo Ma Dave Brubeck and a whole trainload of other GREAT muscians are disqualified on he "Not Rock/Rap" basis.

But Jeez, that list didn't even represent a lot influential GENRES within the field.

My guess, 6 committee members made their lists and rolled dice to see who got to insert someone they liked that turn. If a band you think ought to be listed isn't there, it wasn't represented by the committee

Just went back over the list a few times. There are no country artists. No Willy Nelson? That's not right. I mean they put freakin' Beyonce on that list but not the Red Headed Stranger? COME ON! I'm not a country fan but there are some country artists that should probably be on that list.
Johnny Cash made the list.

This list left off a lot of great artist. For Sinatra to not be in the list is insane!!!!

I just noticed that too! No Sinatra is just ******ed. No Nat or Dino either. I am disappoint.

Not too bad a list by VH1 standards. Some of the rankings are suspect, though. I can't see how AC/DC was good, important, or maybe even popular enough to be in the top 25.

seeing that Back In Black is the second-highest selling album of all time, i'd say that makes them pretty damn popular.

i'm happy that Sabbath and Metallica placed in the top 50.

def leppard placed higher than judas priest, and no iron maiden. jeez.

I just noticed that too! No Sinatra is just ******ed. No Nat or Dino either. I am disappoint.

While I'm not a diehard fan of any of the classic artist like Sinatra and his ilk, I do respect their contributions to the artistic and musical community and VH1 should have done the same

no solo eric clapton? i saw cream on there though. of course i think U2 should be way higher. usually by now there would be someone saying george harrison should be way up there.

mariah carey- should have been soooo much higher on this list
Nirvana- "shouldnt be on this list". THEY WERE NOT GROUNDBREAKING
Aretha Franklin -should be much much much higher

Justin Timberlake,Beyonce, Alicia Keyes, and Coldplay...........................ARE U FN SERIOUS?

Last edited:
Nirvana was groudbreaking. They completely changed the musical landscape. They made alternative mainstream.

Nirvana not groundbreaking? The band that ushered in a new genre that dominated for a whole decade. Sure.

Doesn't matter who you think is better, they did it first.

Nirvana was the breakout ad the reason lose bands went onto succes in the mainstream. And to me personally Nirvana was the best of the bunch

Nirvana not groundbreaking? The band that ushered in a new genre that dominated for a whole decade. Sure.

Doesn't matter who you think is better, they did it first.

The genre existed before and after Nirvana. Also they were neither the first or the last to reprocess The Pixies into a career.

The genre existed before and after Nirvana. Also they were neither the first or the last to reprocess The Pixies into a career.

Yeah, it's great you know who the Pixies are, but it doesnt matter. It's a VH1 list so it's gonna be based on popularity and cultural impact. Prior bands may have been influential and may have even started the genre, but they didnt have a wide audience.

Ask most people who the first thrash metal band is they say Metallica, but Panic came before. Hell, the whole genre of Death Metal is named after the band Death, the biggest band when the style broke, though Venom did it before. What always matters most is how many people hear what you played, not if you played it.

Janet Jackson isn't on this list (but some of her wannabes are?) really irks me. She's so incredibly underrated and I'm so tired of the Madonna worship as far as female pop stars go.

Yeah, it's great you know who the Pixies are, but it doesnt matter. It's a VH1 list so it's gonna be based on popularity and cultural impact. Prior bands may have been influential and may have even started the genre, but they didnt have a wide audience.

Ask most people who the first thrash metal band is they say Metallica, but Panic came before. Hell, the whole genre of Death Metal is named after the band Death, the biggest band when the style broke, though Venom did it before. What always matters most is how many people hear what you played, not if you played it.

Its not like the Pixies are unheard of hell, they are selling out shows on a worldwide tour as we type. And not just Nirvana, but hundreds of bands list them as a major influence.

Nirvana was groudbreaking. They completely changed the musical landscape. They made alternative mainstream.
I would say R.E.M. was the band that made alternative mainstream, but Nirvana's influence defined rock and alternative throughout the 90s and even today. They're not a band I love (I haven't even felt compelled to listen to their albums), but they're probably the last band to make that big an impact on music and mainstream culture.

I add the "mainstream culture" part because some bands have made a huge impact on music without being tremendously popular. Radiohead will be called classic in the future, but the average top-40 radio listener couldn't name any of their songs except "Creep" and maybe "Karma Police."

OK computer is often already referred to as a classic, though I prefer The Bends personally.

As far as the albums themselves go, I love them equally, but OK Computer was the album that got me into the band, so it has a little advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"