Supergirl Villains

Toyman will obviously be a villain but not for a few seasons a la lex on Smallville.

I'd assume that they would have villains made up specifically for the show as well

Since they probably won't be able to use Lex, I could see them using Ultra-Humanite in his original golden age pre-gorilla incarnation. He actually predates Lex, and was Superman's very first nemesis, so it would be a nice nod to the history in the comics. Plus, his being a mad scientist type would be a way to explain where some of the powered villains could come from.

Xenon

Xenon_001.jpg

1425884-lilith.jpg

Lilith

180px-Twilight.jpg

twilight

I'm gonna go old school and say Kandorian look-alike Lesla-Lar

"Supergirl", the upcoming CBS TV show starring Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers and Mehcad Brooks as James Olsen, will feature the Lumberjack, a D-list villain from the comics, as its first antagonist. The character is described as "a big, burly monster of a man, who has battled Kara’s cousin Superman in the past, and shows up to ascertain her level of power, on behalf of an unseen superior".

Lumberjack will probably be serviceable enough for the opening episode, the first episode usually focuses on the main star anyway as it did for Arrow and the Flash,

He's obscure enough that they can pretty much do anything that they want with him. I'm guessing assassin of some kind.

Yeah, I think they'll reimagine him as a bad ass assassin who just looks or dresses like a lumberjack.

"Supergirl", the upcoming CBS TV show starring Melissa Benoist as Kara Danvers and Mehcad Brooks as James Olsen, will feature the Lumberjack, a D-list villain from the comics, as its first antagonist. The character is described as "a big, burly monster of a man, who has battled Kara’s cousin Superman in the past, and shows up to ascertain her level of power, on behalf of an unseen superior".

Definitely a throw away villain but should be enough for Kara to show off what she's got. I'm excited by all of the possibilities this rumor brings. Hopefully they can do the show justice, if it's as good quality wise as Flash i'm totally satisfied.

Also those Supergirl villains kick major ass and if even one of em made it on the show I'd flip!

My thoughts on Lumberjack, Superman and what his inclusion could mean:
http://otlnews.net/2015/01/31/superman-and-the-lumberjack-confirmed-for-supergirl-pilot/

Okay, if the Lumberjack is her first physical opponent, then the interesting thing is figuring out who has his leash. Henshaw, if he's already fully formed as the Cyborg Superman, is the main candidate. Other leading candidates in my opinion: Ultra-Humanite, Queen Bee, Brainiac (arguably the highest profile badguy you could easily see them use; just imagine how they could cast different models of the same program), Cadmus/other human government agencies, and of course, someone affiliated with LexCorp.

Since the Big Blue Boyscout is now likely to make at least a tertiary appearance (photograph, etc.), I figure LexCorp. is just as likely to make some kind of appearance, though probably without the bald one making numerous appearances. So, who sounds like a more logical frontman to you guys? A totally brand new character? Nasthalthia Luthor? The Contessa? Hope and Mercy? Lena Luthor/Brainiac 2/3/4?

Henshaw's character bio paints him as someone who sees Kara and her powers as a national security threat, so I don't think it's necessary for him to already be super-powered himself in order to justify sending somebody like the Lumberjack after her.

Okay, if the Lumberjack is her first physical opponent, then the interesting thing is figuring out who has his leash. Henshaw, if he's already fully formed as the Cyborg Superman, is the main candidate. Other leading candidates in my opinion: Ultra-Humanite, Queen Bee, Brainiac (arguably the highest profile badguy you could easily see them use; just imagine how they could cast different models of the same program), Cadmus/other human government agencies, and of course, someone affiliated with LexCorp.

I think Brainiac is extremely unlikely. But the Ultra-Humanite would be a good choice.

Since the Big Blue Boyscout is now likely to make at least a tertiary appearance (photograph, etc.), I figure LexCorp. is just as likely to make some kind of appearance, though probably without the bald one making numerous appearances. So, who sounds like a more logical frontman to you guys? A totally brand new character? Nasthalthia Luthor? The Contessa? Hope and Mercy? Lena Luthor/Brainiac 2/3/4?

I'd probably go brand new character in that context. To me, while LexCorp should exist, I wouldn't make them the badguys unless you can get Lex on the show.

While they could possibly reference and even show LexCorp, it's doubtful that we'd see Lex himself regardless of whether or not there's an embargo on him, simply because National City is "halfway across the country" from Metropolis, and it's unlikely that somebody like Lex would be personally present at every subsidiary offshoot of his company.

That's part of the reason why I think we'll likely see "agents" of Luthor and Brainiac at some point during the show. Well, that, and I figure they could easily use that as a teaser for either villain on the movie 'verse. Someone said that Luthor's later appearances on Lois and Clark and Smallville were elevated by the constant references to him and the ripple effects felt from his manipulation of his resources.

The agents I'd like to see for Lexcorp are the comic characters, especially hope and Mercy. Mercy is in BvS, but Hope is still readily available, and I like the idea of Luthor's confidante/bodyguard who's got the capability to give Supergirl a fight as his main agent in investigating the alien's female counterpart. And like Lena Luthor with Brainiac implants, it offers a foil to Supergirl; a warrior woman aligned with a side of the great Metropolis feud, operating in a different area and sometimes overshadowed by their male "leader."

And I wouldn't count out Brainiac just yet. While he's easily the second most iconic Superman villain in the comics, his position in other media has been usurped by General Zod. And his technological nature would give the creators great flexibility in deploying him; maybe she faces a drone controlled by the monolithic main intelligence that isn't even on Earth, or the programs created by him gain a spark of independence so we see Supergirl manage to transform Brainiac 2.0 into Vril Dox, an ally of somewhat dubious morality. Maybe we just see the same computer program, with its symbol, possess machines and people (perhaps played by awesome guest stars season to season). Anyway, since the Big Guy himself is at least going to be teased and admitted as inspiration, I don't see how that takes Brainiac off the table. Lex and Zod at least have the excuse of the film's not wanting to be tainted, but unless they're going to use Brainiac in BvS and are being really quiet about it, I'd say he's fair game.

I can easily see DC allowing CBS to license the entirety of the Superman property for Supergirl the way that FOX has licensed the entirety of the Batman property for Gotham, so I don't think we have to worry about the show not being able to use certain characters or concepts. Any embargoes that come into play will probably be on non-Superman characters, concepts, etc., so I'd very much expect to hear about and/or see characters like Brainiac, Mzpyx, etc. at some point depending on how long the series lasts.

I can easily see DC allowing CBS to license the entirety of the Superman property for Supergirl the way that FOX has licensed the entirety of the Batman property for Gotham, so I don't think we have to worry about the show not being able to use certain characters or concepts. Any embargoes that come into play will probably be on non-Superman characters, concepts, etc., so I'd very much expect to hear about and/or see characters like Brainiac, Mzpyx, etc. at some point depending on how long the series lasts.

Big difference there been that Gotham is these characters before they're there fully established comic counterparts.

^ That has nothing to do with licensing and fees, though. FOX was able to license the entirety of the Batman property - with no exceptions - to use on Gotham in whatever ways they wanted, and I can very easily see CBS getting a similar licensing deal with Superman/Supergirl.

^ That has nothing to do with licensing and fees, though. FOX was able to license the entirety of the Batman property - with no exceptions - to use on Gotham in whatever ways they wanted, and I can very easily see CBS getting a similar licensing deal with Superman/Supergirl.

I'm not saying it's impossible at all but pointing out that so far on Gotham they are using versions that are not fully established and probably only will use the full established versions really really far down briefly.

You're missing the point. The way in which Gotham is using the Batman license has no relevance to its ability to use that license.

DC gave FOX completely unrestricted access to the Batman license, and I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same for CBS and Superman/Supergirl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"