The Dark Knight Rises Villians that work, Villians that don't

Dr.Negative

Civilian
Reaction score
Just a thought, what Villians in the Batman Universe do you think would work well on big screen. I find there is roughly 3 catergories...
1. Those that can be directly translated from the comics 2. Those that come from the comic but needs an alternate verson of themselves in order for it to work. and 3. Those in the comic that simply wouldnt work, even if you tried an alternative story for them.

Here is my list.

Those in catergory one...
> Joker, Catwoman, Black Mask, Bane, Riddler, Two-Face

Those in catergory two...
> Mr.Freeze, Scarecrow, Raz Al Ghul, Killer-Croc

Those in catergoy three...
> Clayface, Man-Bat, Solomon Grundy

Black Mask would work, Killer Croc with an alternative story, but Clayface wouldnt work

Clayface could work quite well if his early appearances were the model for the character-- and that is what Nolan seems to do. He was a master of disguise early on, and I actually think that would be quite interesting in Nolan's more reality-based crime drama approach to the mythos.

There aren't many villains that couldn't be modified to work in Nolan's Gotham. Mr. Freeze would have to be changed to the point of not being Mr. Freeze anymore, and the Ventriloquist would seem a bit corny, but not really unrealistic. Of course Manbat is out...

Clayface could work quite well if his early appearances were the model for the character-- and that is what Nolan seems to do. He was a master of disguise early on, and I actually think that would be quite interesting in Nolan's more reality-based crime drama approach to the mythos.

There aren't many villains that couldn't be modified to work in Nolan's Gotham. Mr. Freeze would have to be changed to the point of not being Mr. Freeze anymore, and the Ventriloquist would seem a bit corny, but not really unrealistic. Of course Manbat is out...
Wow, I'd love to see that in a Nolan movie.

Me too, i think that scarface and the ventroloquist would work too, i think that almost every villain would, but Firefly, Deadshot and Killer Crock were already used in Batman gotham knight, if they appeared on film their appearance would be retconned and i don't want that.
Batman villains would work but some won't until Nolan gets out of the director chair, mr freeze could, kind of, there's a dramatic story with him that will only work if they can successfully use sci fi elements in this universe in a way that seems reasonable and not corny or too unrealistic, Man Bat has the same proble, he is a man that slowly mutates into a bat and become the fleshed Batman that bruce wants criminals to think he is. Poison Ivy can kind of work but has the same problem but Ras all ghoul used to be immortal, they may make poison Ivy a true preson but not an half plant person, solomon grundy would only work as a maniac obsessed with the solomon grundy phrase.

ALL of them would work. It just depends on the tone.

i think Clayface belongs in category 2. Freeze im not so sure about

you know ive always thought that you coud do a spin off movie on Clayface

totally out there but think a Dark humoured comedy.

An actor who is aging wants to rejuvinate his life tries a chemical that makes his skin look young. as a strange side effects discovers he can mimic other peoples looks. This opens new doors for the wanna be actor who discovers that looks really do matter. Clayface - staring Seth Rogen

ALL of them would work. It just depends on the tone.

Yep.

And the CG effects at the filmmaker's disposal.

A bad looking Clayface would be the opposite of what Clayface is supposed to be.

The Penguin is a missed opportunity in my opinion.

Philip Seymour Hoffman. I don't need to say anything else.

Agreed, a theatrical clayface would rock. Acting like others framing and setting people up. You could get a lot of suspense out of that.

Yeah no doin man bat.

Agreed, a theatrical clayface would rock. Acting like others framing and setting people up. You could get a lot of suspense out of that.

Yeah no doin man bat.
Yep. That would have been so damn good in a Nolan batfilm. Oh well...

I feel The Ventriloquist is a hard sell on the big screen, and not just in a Nolan movie. Any Batmovie.

He will be hard to adapt for the silver screen.

Villians of peaches
peaches for free
Villians of peaches
peaches for me

I wouldn't mind any of them except for Man-Bat. Also the roster seems deep enough not for them to reach Solomon Grundy or The Ventriloquist. However if someone manages to pull off the Ventriloquist without fail , it will be a mark of genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"