The Dark Knight Rises What Villain Pairings DONT work, in your eyes???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregComicFan

movie and comic buff
Reaction score
Hi, another post got me thinking about this....

What villain pairings, in your eyes, DONT work? Which ones are laughable or put a bad taste in your mouth?

...and which villain pairings make ABSOLUTE SENSE to you?

Batman Begins: Ras Al Ghul teams with Scarecrow - I would never have expected this, since I don't see much in common with the two characters. In the end, Nolan kinda just made Scarecrow a henchmen of Ras, yet a henchman who had more a purpose than the run-of-the-mill kind.
The Dark Knight: Joker and Two-Face: Did they really team up? No, but their stories intertwined and worked MUCH better and more fluidly than Ras/Scarecrow, probably because the Joker was trying to kill Dent in order to drive Gotham mad, and in the end, he used Dent to make his point - that all good guys can turn bad...

so... now for Batman 3:

If Catwoman is in Batman 3 (which, to me, is almost guaranteed, she makes the most sense of all the rogues), she HAS to be paired with someone else because she's not a full-fledge villain...

Other villain speculation has been... The Riddler...

Catwoman/Riddler? To be honest, the two characters don't go well together. If Nolan decides to go this route, I really don't see the two villains crossing paths much. It will be more like Batman Begins and less like The Dark Knight. What could Riddler have that Catwoman wants? What beef could Riddler have with Catwoman? I really don't see as many possibilities, not as many as Joker/Two-Face had, so I would see a potential Catwoman/Riddler "Batman 3" keeping the villains separated....

ok, your turn...

I don't see Catwoman working fluidly with Riddler. You? and what other pairings can you think of? who works with who well? who doesn't?

If Catwoman is taken as a villain she will be solo, as always she's been ;), but if they also add her as an ally she must pair with Batman

Riddler and Catwoman actually had their own graphic novel - "When in Rome" and it was by the Loeb and Sale who did TLH and Dark Victory which have been the biggest influences on Nolan.

The relationship between them there was that Selina was using the Riddler to help her find out information on overseas mob bosses (from memory) and he double crossed her by the end of it.

I think the villain best for Catwoman is Black Mask. The two have such a history together that the movie basically writes itself.

Depends on a lot of variables. Pairings in the buddy sense are silly, ie. Spiderman and GG2 teaming up to beat Venom in SM3 or to put it bluntly a Batman and Robin pairing would not work IMO. Pairings in the dominant/subservient sense can work such as with Ra's and Scarecrow. But it really depends on the story, the motivations of the characters, how they are intertwined, etc. Too many unknown variables to give you a definitive answer as to who works and who doesn't.

So who does the Riddler go well with? That's the problem with him. He's such an egotistical villain I don't see him going well with anybody. I thought he didn't pair well with Two-Face in Batman Forever... I mean what did Two-Face really help Riddler do? Once they teamed up it was the Riddler's plans and ideas that did everything....

Riddler and Catwoman actually had their own graphic novel - "When in Rome" and it was by the Loeb and Sale who did TLH and Dark Victory which have been the biggest influences on Nolan.

The relationship between them there was that Selina was using the Riddler to help her find out information on overseas mob bosses (from memory) and he double crossed her by the end of it.

I think the villain best for Catwoman is Black Mask. The two have such a history together that the movie basically writes itself.

Yup yup, true there, but I don't think they should team up, Catwoman's like Batman, hard to work with someone

There's nothing wrong with villains teaming up if it makes sense, and is not forced or contrived.

Like Spider-Man 3's teaming of Venom and Sandman. It was ludicrous.

Oh are we talking villain team-ups? I thought it was just choosing villains who go well together in a movie...

Yup yup, true there, but I don't think they should team up, Catwoman's like Batman, hard to work with someone

If you're talking about Black Mask I completely agree. If Catwoman and Black Mask are in BB3 together one mandate is to show Catwoman shooting him in the face.

There's nothing wrong with villains teaming up if it makes sense, and is not forced or contrived.

At least Venom and Sandman are able to have the same motivation, which is more than one can say about Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy.

Ya, i talk about that :D I soo want Catwoman to kill Black Mask in the movie.

Agreed, I thought it was funny how the video game had a smarter way for them to team up than the movie

To be honest...I never understood the pairing of Riddler and Two-Face for "Batman Forever." That truly felt like Uslan and Melniker were just drawing names out of a hat.

Oh are we talking villain team-ups? I thought it was just choosing villains who go well together in a movie...

The point of this thread, which I made, was to discuss villains you DONT see well as a pairing in Batman 3. That doesnt mean they team-up or they don't team-up... it just means which villains, in your opinion, just don't mesh in the same movie well....like they are just too different to exist in the same film....and then discuss which villains go GREAT together, like peanut butter and jelly.

Clearly, freeze and poison ivy don't mesh well together, although cinematically intriguing, they don't mesh.

my team-ups would be

black mask & bane

riddler & ivy

clayface // riddler

penguin // freeze

mind you, I would never of put ras & scarecrow together, and would of thought scarecrow/joker and two-face//deadshot over those.

but thankfully for you guys im not makign these movies and Chris nolan is!

Penguin/Catwoman just because we've already seen it. If they were done individually without relating them together then I would have no problem with it.

If you're talking about Black Mask I completely agree. If Catwoman and Black Mask are in BB3 together one mandate is to show Catwoman shooting him in the face.

I could so see this scene, where it is seen in the reflection of her goggles. Something along the lines of her saving Batman, but he captures her and she goes to jail ANYWAYS.

I would love to see something with Roland Daggett, Catwoman, and some form of Clayface (you can tell I grew up with BTAS). If TDK was a crime drama, I could see this working out to be a mystery thriller (a great way to work in more of Batman as a detective). The Nolans have shown they can juggle an ensemble cast, but I really would like to see Bruce come more to the forefront.

I can just imagine Clayface in Nolan's movies. It'd be Matt Hagen with clay smeared on his face :oldrazz:

Catwoman and Poison Ivy are way too cartoony if you ask me. I have nothing against their characters it's just seeing them in Nolan's Batman series would be weird. I mean Batman has no side kicks in this series. He is better off by himself, any other character such as Robin or Catwoman would slowhim down. Catwoman really serves no purpose in this Batman, what a chick with a whip? What can she do. Poison Ivy well she could maybe work but it would be difficult.

Catwoman and Poison Ivy are way too cartoony if you ask me. I have nothing against their characters it's just seeing them in Nolan's Batman series would be weird. I mean Batman has no side kicks in this series. He is better off by himself, any other character such as Robin or Catwoman would slowhim down. Catwoman really serves no purpose in this Batman, what a chick with a whip? What can she do. Poison Ivy well she could maybe work but it would be difficult.
Catwoman's not a sidekick, and she's no more 'cartoony' than Batman himself, if you ask me. Also, I've never read a batman comic but even I can see that she's far more than a 'chick with a whip', she's clearly a very deep character and has tons of potential, drawing comparisons between both her and Batman being vigilantes fighting for their own cause, him being rich, her being poor, they fall in love, loads of amazing story potential for the third film!

As far as I'm concerned there have been no real villain 'team ups' in Nolan's series, multiple villains yes, but no real scene where the bad guys puts their heads together and plot to take Batman down. What villains 'work together' is irrelevant, you don't need even need the villains crossing paths or knowing anything about each other, what it boils down to is whether the story as a whole works, you could have a film with both Riddler and Catwoman, but the characters don't cross paths until the finale.

I really don't want to see Penguin/Catwoman cause it will remind me of Batman Returns.

Personally, I'd go with Catwoman/Riddler or Penguin/Riddler...but then it becomes a sausagefest.

My ideal is a trio: Catwoman/Riddler/Penguin...three villains, but one of them have a smaller role.

Not sure they would work together...maybe against each other more.

Catwoman will probably be a naughty love-interest or anti-heroine rather than villain, so i don't think she counts...

Riddler/Penguin would be my pick of best duo. They could start out separate at first, Nygma being a federal agent tasked with hunting Batman and Oswald being a wealthy socialite who's arming the new freaks. Over the course of the movie the corrupt, obsessed Nygma could make a deal with Penguin to trap Batman or something.

I don't personally think a freak mob boss is the way to go...what "freak" is gonna measure up to the Joker? They should be shown in cameos to illustrate the new breed of criminal, but the main players should be the rogue agent and the "my hands are clean" arms dealer

i'd have all the villains under Riddler's employ but in the end like in KnightFall were Riddler looses control of his men. So at first he'd have firefly and Black Mask attacking mob territories, penguin arming both sides of freak & mob for money and catwoman to get info on the streets and steal info it needed and lastly calyface to impersonate people for him.

After losing control of his men firefly goes off with Black Mask cos he offers him free rein to burn Gotham to the ground which Riddler's planning won't allow, penguin remians neutral cos he's got money from arms dealing, clayface stays with Riddler because he doesn't want to be on Black Mask's side because its BM who turned him into CF and catwoman just ****s off to Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"