The Dark Knight Viral Collectibles: How to tell a fake from the genuine article

As I mentioned in a previous post, those cards are clearly fake. I could make one of those in under 30 seconds. The graphic is printed on a regular playing card, not one that was part of the viral campaign. Don't get ripped off by this guy!

Here's my take on the original design:

343.jpg

Wow. I see what you mean there.

-WsS?

Hey.... At least he wasn't lying when he said it was "one of a kind."

Ha!

-WsS?

the ebayer seller of the joker dollars seahawks4u wont come on the boardes untill people who have said that the dollars she is selling are fake are real and say sorry for that. (r we back at school)
ive emailed 42 ent with photos and sent prof in the mail about this matter
ebay are looking in to it but would'nt get my hopes up.

the ebayer seller of the joker dollars seahawks4u wont come on the boardes untill people who have said that the dollars she is selling are fake are real and say sorry for that. (r we back at school)

That's rich. S/he wants us to apologize because s/he's selling fake crap and ripping people off on ebay? I don't think so. I'd sooner carve a smile into my own face than apologize for exposing this idiot for the scam artist s/he is.

-WsS?

Umm, they are real US dollars, and they do have stickers on them, no one is questioning that. The question is are they dollars she got at an actual event, like ComicCon or a screening or wherever, and are they actually from the same source as those distributed there. If not, then they are Joker Dollar reproductions and should be listed as such. Just because some person at WB is printing these after the events and sending them to someone to fence for them does not make them authentic.
Are these officially released items from WB or 42E, and someone just got a stash of them? (authentic)
Or is it someone that has access to the materials and machinery and are introducing more of them into the system strictly to make a profit? (reproduction)

I would also be interested to hear what your proof is. Did you do some CSI work, like analyze the glue on the back, or do a chemical analysis of the ink used on two different specimens (one that you KNOW is authentic), or use the die marks to identify the specific machines used to cut them out, or what? Comparing two different pictures does not tell you much if you do not have a control specimen for reference.

CFB Tees

Does anyone know if any of the CFB Tees (particularly those given out in New York) were printed on Jerzees shirts?

No, someone here traded me for one that looks completely authentic except that it's a jerzees shirt instead of a Gilden. I just want to be sure it's official.

You know what I don't get is auctions like paul's haha times get pulled for copyright yet Some other people who are charging rediculous amounts for the same thing are still there making a profit. urgh

http://cgi.ebay.com/Batman-The-Dark...ryZ60361QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT:sorry i'm venting... this thread isn't the place for this.

Except Paul's was just a two-sided print out. Someone actually took the time and effort to put that together. And the seller specifically states that he did it himself in the item description.

Big difference.

-WsS?

Speaking of bogus collectibles. While not technically a viral collectible, the very idea of someone trying to pass this off as authentic boils my blood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160264757130

The stupid bats poster he claims Heath Ledger signed was released 6 months after Ledger's death. Unbelievable.

-WsS?

I emailed the seller, and here is his response:

Dear Ekrickets,

there were several signings that he did before he died. this was signed at a Las Vegas signing and comes with a lifetime COA. there are several photos out there which he signed so this is something that wont be around for long. this is why the item is so rare. this is not a poster, this is the picture which was out before he died.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]- skonectthedots[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

Except Paul's was just a two-sided print out. Someone actually took the time and effort to put that together. And the seller specifically states that he did it himself in the item description.

Big difference.

-WsS?

True, I take back what I said

I emailed the seller, and here is his response:

Dear Ekrickets,

there were several signings that he did before he died. this was signed at a Las Vegas signing and comes with a lifetime COA. there are several photos out there which he signed so this is something that wont be around for long. this is why the item is so rare. this is not a poster, this is the picture which was out before he died.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]- skonectthedots[/FONT]

He sent me the exact same canned response. Which isn't an much of an answer. It actually doesn't make any sense at all, if you ask me.

This picture was just released online a couple weeks ago. And I'd be willing to bet that, aside from the exclusive to Best Buy lenticular, it's never been put into print.

-WsS?

Okay, that's so hilarious, I kind of want to buy it. It's like they didn't even try. It's totally awesome. It's so bad, it's good.

LOL, I saw where someone had jokerized a $5 and listed it on ebay. I think they got $0.99 for it.

Another worthy purchase. I'm going to see if I can find $5 going for $1 anywhere else on ebay.

He sent me the exact same canned response. Which isn't an much of an answer. It actually doesn't make any sense at all, if you ask me.

This picture was just released online a couple weeks ago. And I'd be willing to bet that, aside from the exclusive to Best Buy lenticular, it's never been put into print.

-WsS?

I agree in calling shenanigans on that one. Had that poster ever been released in any form, I'm pretty certain that first of all, we would have noticed it in the intervening SIX MONTHS, and second of all, it wouldn't have been our reward for winning a game. Add to that that I have been looking around the internets for posters for ages, and there seem to be only 2...maybe 3...forms of that poster--the Best Buy lenticular, a larger one, and I think there might be a smaller one. There is no 8x10 photograph of it, unless someone took a picture of it, and then printed it on 8x10 paper, but I daresay that doesn't really count.

And the fact is, there were very few posters and stills out on or before January 22nd. I mean we were still in the teaser poster mode. This is a poster, NOT a still, and though a poster can turn into an 8x10 photograph eventually (I'm actually checking out these spectac $4 8x10 prints of the ones with the Joker and the frosted glass), it doesn't really work the other way around.

The fortunate thing is that I think MOST people are not dumb enough to pay a lot of money for a thing like that--mostly because I think the people who would be willing to are smart enough to discern its authenticity.

Also, look in the description. "To help pay for college" = shenanigans 98% of the time. There is nothing you can sell that can really help you pay for college, unless you're selling your car or something. Plain and simple, most of us, even those of us who are racking up lifetimes of debt for college, are smart enough to realize that it's not worth selling your most valuable possessions for...I dunno, three pizzas' cash.

Big difference.

-WsS?

Why?

I don't mind that mine got pulled but why is it ok for this guy to sell his hand made version of the exact same copywritten material? Because mine are "just" print-outs? (By the way, it's not like I have a 25" x 25" printer lying around and I pushed a button and out they came.)

I also had a set of cards get pulled early on and now everyone's selling them.

In both instances I see one constant, and this is just my opinion, anyone is free to disagree. I believe my stuff looked too good and caught WB's attention.

My cards were accurate on both sides while most of the other cards I've seen are only accurate on one side.

This is my paper:

norm-4806436543e7e-Dark+Knight%2C+The+%282008%29.jpeg

and this is his:

101_0712.jpg

As I said, judge for yourselves, but there has to be a reason why I was targeted twice for items other sellers seem to be able to sell freely.

Now back to my original question, can anyone tell me if any of the CFB shirts given out in New York were Jerzees? I really need to know.

Why?

I don't mind that mine got pulled but why is it ok for this guy to sell his hand made version of the exact same copywritten material? Because mine are "just" print-outs? (By the way, it's not like I have a 25" x 25" printer lying around and I pushed a button and out they came.)

I also had a set of cards get pulled early on and now everyone's selling them.

In both instances I see one constant, and this is just my opinion, anyone is free to disagree. I believe my stuff looked too good and caught WB's attention.

My cards were accurate on both sides while most of the other cards I've seen are only accurate on one side.

This is my paper:

norm-4806436543e7e-Dark+Knight%2C+The+%282008%29.jpeg

and this is his:

101_0712.jpg

As I said, judge for yourselves, but there has to be a reason why I was targeted twice for items other sellers seem to be able to sell freely.

Now back to my original question, can anyone tell me if any of the CFB shirts given out in New York were Jerzees? I really need to know.

We've already dragged this conversation through the mud, over and over again. I'm not going to entertain it yet again for the sake of making you feel better about selling copy and paste print outs on ebay for profit.

Even if I did, this isn't the place for it. This thread is for identifying potential fake, reproduced, unauthorized, and inauthentic viral collectibles, not discussinbg the difference between them. And both yours and his items would qualify as all of the above. So the point is moot.

As far as the shirt question: The didn't print CFB shirt on Jerzees.

-WsS?

Speaking of bogus collectibles. While not technically a viral collectible, the very idea of someone trying to pass this off as authentic boils my blood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160264757130

The stupid bats poster he claims Heath Ledger signed was released 6 months after Ledger's death. Unbelievable.

-WsS?

Not to mention a quick Google search for pictures of Heath's autograph show that his signature looks much different than the one pictured.

Not to mention a quick Google search for pictures of Heath's autograph show that his signature looks much different than the one pictured.

Wow. I didn't even THINK of that. This is not even sarcasm...I would never have thought to Google Heath's autograph in trying to provide evidence that it's a fake. Kudos for doing the obvious but nevertheless smart thing in this case.

So I guess, mixed with deductive timeline reasoning and info as to what Heath's signature looks like, that one is definitely a fake.

We've already dragged this conversation through the mud, over and over again. I'm not going to entertain it yet again for the sake of making you feel better about selling copy and paste print outs on ebay for profit.

Even if I did, this isn't the place for it. This thread is for identifying potential fake, reproduced, unauthorized, and inauthentic viral collectibles, not discussinbg the difference between them. And both yours and his items would qualify as all of the above. So the point is moot.

As far as the shirt question: The didn't print CFB shirt on Jerzees.

-WsS?

Just answering your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"