Wal-Mart Evolves Into Major Political Issue

Brian2887 said:
. . . You're basing a bias on the fact that you've been there once? I live in a smalltown. Not only is Wal-Mart the grocery and department store of choice, but it's turning into a hang-out for teenagers with nothing to do. Suffice it to say, I've been more than once.

In al my visits, I've never been treated like crap, nor have I seen an employee treated like crap. They offer simple jobs, they give minimum wage, like a lot of companies. I don't see the problem in this business practice.

The only complaint against Wal-Mart that seems justified is the fact that they seem to be building a monopoly. If that's the case, I imagine the government will eventually step in as they have been known to do.

Hey retail is real competitive, first impressions are everything. If they aren't going to help get some good stuff for my patio, then screw them.

The Overlord said:
So why won't you work for Wal-Mart, do you think their a bad employer? I never said anyone was forced to work at Wal-Mart (well except those illegals that Wal-Mart brings in, I guess its either working at Wal-Mart or going back to Mexico, some choice), I said they are bad employer and becvause they treat their employees like crap, the employees treat the customers like crap. Don't blame me when some Wal-Mart employee goes postal.

Wal-Mart may have low prices, but the products and customer service sucks, so I say stop being cheap and get better products somewhere else. You get what you pay for.

For the record I like Red Lobster, Gibson guitars, General Motors, and those chicken flavored crackers and yet I don't work at any of those companies. Your argument is silly that if I like it so much I should work there. :rolleyes:

A lot of Wal-Marts stuff is crap, I'm not arguing with you there but I can get just as much use from a dvd bought from Wal-Mart as one from Best Buy. I bought a digital camera from there 3 years ago, and it still works as good as a comperable camera from Wolf Camera (they even sell the exact same one, but more expensive :) ). You really aren't making any sense, I don't understand your arguement unless it's against all massive retail chains like Target, KMart and Wal-Mart.

The Overlord said:
Hey retail is real competitive, first impressions are everything. If they aren't going to help get some good stuff for my patio, then screw them.

so you do shop retail and have shopped at Wal-Mart in the past?

So that just proves your argument is not well grounded, allthough I can't blame you for not having good customer satisfaction, that chides me as well, but I have expeirenced it in almost any retail chain.

Man-Thing said:
For the record I like Red Lobster, Gibson guitars, General Motors, and those chicken flavored crackers and yet I don't work at any of those companies. Your argument is silly that if I like it so much I should work there. :rolleyes:

A lot of Wal-Marts stuff is crap, I'm not arguing with you there but I can get just as much use from a dvd bought from Wal-Mart as one from Best Buy. I bought a digital camera from there 3 years ago, and it still works as good as a comperable camera from Wolf Camera (they even sell the exact same one, but more expensive :) ). You really aren't making any sense, I don't understand your arguement unless it's against all massive retail chains like Target, KMart and Wal-Mart.

You never went out of your way to praise any of those other stores, that's why I keep opn bring it up. But let me flat out ask you, do you think Wal-Mart is a good employer?

As for why I dislike Wal-Mart, first there are no Targets or K-Marts in my area, so I really can't say anything good or bad about them. Second I think their a bad employer and because of that, they have bad customer service. Third I think they are on their way to becomming a monoploy (and according to capitalist economics, that's a bad thing.) Forth I think their products are shotty. Do I need any other reasons?

Man-Thing said:
so you do shop retail and have shopped at Wal-Mart in the past?

So that just proves your argument is not well grounded, allthough I can't blame you for not having good customer satisfaction, that chides me as well, but I have expeirenced it in almost any retail chain.

Yes, I tried to get some good patio furniture at a reasonable rate at Wal-Mart about 8 months ago, I asked three different employees where the patio furniture was and they were not helpful at all. When I found the patio furniture, it was all crap, so that was a huge waste of time. So yeah, I had bad experience with them, so I think I'm well within my rights to dislike them.

Man-Thing said:
Yeah, I know, I mean back when Sam was alive there were hardly any Supercenters, but now there are like a bunch or something.

I mean what buisness actually wants to grow in size and profit?
:rolleyes:
I keep forgetting when talking about businesses, one is solely talking about pieces of green paper with dead people in the center.

Thank you for clarifying that common sense, integrity, respect and honesty died with Sam Walton.

8Ball2/JanG5 said:
How could someone want to work there. Every Wal-Mart i've been in was just downright unpleasant. Most of the employees look like they are on dope, and are missing teeth. Seriously, I sometimes am looking for something specific (like China lights in one instance), i'd ask where I could find these things and they'd murmor and droop around slowly, not being of like any help. They pass through with their sunken eyes and understated demeanor, I mistake them for ghosts. The employees are freaking crazy, and most of the customers are too.

Agreed. I've been in Wal-Mart once. Never again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"