Wal-Mart Evolves Into Major Political Issue

Man-Thing said:
Oh cry me a river...

It's not Wal-Mart's fault these companies are driven out of busisness, it's the buisnesses fault. And what's with this presumption that just because something is 'old' that it should stay?
Alot of farmers say the same crap, and the masses swallow up their pity stories. "It's not just a farm, it's a way of life".... Please, give me a break, my tax dollars shouldn't support you just because your profession is self-deemed as a way of life. I hate government subsidies...

Great, now I'm ticked off.:mad:
"Never criticize a farmer with your mouth full."

Wal-Mart is evil but there are better things to protest. Or rather, I should say there are worse things...that are better to protest. But, I still have to say SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS. Chains have no soul.

Man-Thing said:
Labor unions are horrible, and until you have worked in a union facility you can't really say otherwise.

I've never worked in a union job or anything like that so I can't say what they're like from firsthand knowledge but the concept is a good one. Big business doesn't care about the little guy and the little guy needs support because all big business cares about is the bottom line...what will make them more money.

I really don't have an honest opinion about Wal-mart. Its a love/hate relation. I love that all the "****" I need to buy is one store, and very cheap. I hate that it has so much sway over what the rest of the entire nation has to say. I hate that it kills the little man, employs cheap labor over seas, and it has no ****ing benches inside of the store.

Now let me say that my own mother has worked at Wal-mart for over 16 years (fabric department), that my older brother by 2 years has worked there for 2 years (unloading freight and pulling it out on the main floor), that older brother of 4 years had worked there for also 2 years before starting college (stocking chemicals - bleaches and ****). People may not like it, but overall - its an employer and has enough of the good to overlap the bad.

Man-Thing said:
It's not Wal-Mart's fault these companies are driven out of busisness, it's the buisnesses fault.

I know competition is a cornerstone of capitalism, which is one of the things this country is founded upon, and something I do believe in believe it or not but like everything, there are flaws. Wal-Mart is able to lower prices drastically because they make up the costs in volume. Small businesses can't do that because they'd just lose money because they don't and usually can't have the volume Wal-Mart has. So when Wal-Mart moves into an area, these small businesses suffer. Yes, they choose to price thier items higher than wal-mart but it's also not a choice because they have to to get by. And people are drawn to what's cheaper and there aren't enough people like me who will pay a little extra to support my local businesses. It's not completely the small business's fault if they go out of business. Stores with better management will survive better than stores that do not but that's not everything.

KingOfDreams said:
I've never worked in a union job or anything like that so I can't say what they're like from firsthand knowledge but the concept is a good one. Big business doesn't care about the little guy and the little guy needs support because all big business cares about is the bottom line...what will make them more money.

Well, the "little guy" needs to step up and take resposiblity for his own life IMO. There are many, many people who are so called "victims" of outsourcing, but those that are sucessful are the ones that realize that maybe it might be a good idea to re-evaluate their carrer choices and either become entrepeneurs, or re-educated in highly technical fields. The waters are shark infested, and the only way to beat them is to become a bigger shark.

HERE IS SOME ADVICE TO YOU, YOU ARE YOUNG SO YOU CAN APPLY IT TO YOUR LIFE!

I advise you to always continue your education, so you will not become one of these victims one day, and I'm not talking just about college either. Many, many people are highly sucessful because they look to trends in the corperate world and reapply their talents in other areas.

An example would be to become fluent in other languages (which is something that will come in handy because of outsourcing and insourcing).

Any edge you can find over your peers will be beneficial to you.

Corinthian™ said:
wait, you are a farmer?

according to Tennessee laws I am. I own a tractor, have a four acre garden and some woodlands. It's great too, because of this I can buy equipment in Georgia...tax free.

It's not a profession to me, but more of a hobby. My children make money in the summer from the produce they sell and the rest we eat/can and give to our friends.

I completely agree about people taking responsibility for thier own lives but sometimes that's not enough. But even so, labor unions were more useful in the "olden days" it seems.

Man-Thing said:
according to Tennessee laws I am. I own a tractor, have a four acre garden and some woodlands. It's great too, because of this I can buy equipment in Georgia...tax free.

It's not a profession to me, but more of a hobby. My children make money in the summer from the produce they sell and the rest we eat/can and give to our friends.
...:confused:

I see...

You are a lot like Jonty

KingOfDreams said:
I know competition is a cornerstone of capitalism, which is one of the things this country is founded upon, and something I do believe in believe it or not but like everything, there are flaws. Wal-Mart is able to lower prices drastically because they make up the costs in volume. Small businesses can't do that because they'd just lose money because they don't and usually can't have the volume Wal-Mart has. So when Wal-Mart moves into an area, these small businesses suffer. Yes, they choose to price thier items higher than wal-mart but it's also not a choice because they have to to get by. And people are drawn to what's cheaper and there aren't enough people like me who will pay a little extra to support my local businesses. It's not completely the small business's fault if they go out of business. Stores with better management will survive better than stores that do not but that's not everything.

So your saying stores with poor management, should stay competetive with Wal-Mart because of nostalgia?

Wal-Mart was once a small buisness too, but through the brilliance of Sam Walton, they grew- which is the goal of most busisnesses.

KingOfDreams said:
I completely agree about people taking responsibility for thier own lives but sometimes that's not enough. But even so, labor unions were more useful in the "olden days" it seems.

It has to be enough, because someday no one else will take resposibility for your life.

And as far a labor unions being something that was once great, you do realise that a lot of union officials in the "olden days" were either outright communist or had communist sympathies don't you?

I hate to sound like McCarthy, but come on, this was the beginnings of the cold war era.

Man-Thing said:
It has to be enough, because someday no one else will take resposibility for your life.

And as far a labor unions being something that was once great, you do realise that a lot of union officials in the "olden days" were either outright communist or had communist sympathies don't you?

I hate to sound like McCarthy, but come on, this was the beginnings of the cold war era.
you know that thanks for those communist ideas you have a fair job and stuff like that?

communism and Unions were very much hand to hand in the begining of the post-Industrial revolution era

Corinthian™ said:
you know that thanks for those communist ideas you have a fair job and stuff like that?

communism and Unions were very much hand to hand in the begining of the post-Industrial revolution era

And thanks to Unions more companies are told what to do, by the least qualified people to do so, thus resulting in more plant closings and less productivity.

Man-Thing said:
And thanks to Unions more companies are told what to do, by the least qualified people to do so, thus resulting in more plant closings and less productivity.
I think they are told what NOT to do by the people that work there.

Besides, Unions were one of the best things that happened to industrial societies, and one of the worst for the Railroad companies(and other factories)

Man-Thing said:
Oh cry me a river...

It's not Wal-Mart's fault these companies are driven out of busisness, it's the buisnesses fault. And what's with this presumption that just because something is 'old' that it should stay?
Alot of farmers say the same crap, and the masses swallow up their pity stories. "It's not just a farm, it's a way of life".... Please, give me a break, my tax dollars shouldn't support you just because your profession is self-deemed as a way of life. I hate government subsidies...

Great, now I'm ticked off.:mad:

Oh, your ticked off, now I care. :rolleyes: I bet a lot of these small stores have better customer service and better products, but a lot of people have no taste and thus are willing to buy the cheap crap Wal-Mart pumps out. Besides I never said anything about subsidies, don't put words in my mouth.

If you think Wal-Mart is so great, I dare you get a job there.

How could someone want to work there. Every Wal-Mart i've been in was just downright unpleasant. Most of the employees look like they are on dope, and are missing teeth. Seriously, I sometimes am looking for something specific (like China lights in one instance), i'd ask where I could find these things and they'd murmor and droop around slowly, not being of like any help. They pass through with their sunken eyes and understated demeanor, I mistake them for ghosts. The employees are freaking crazy, and most of the customers are too.

The Overlord said:
Oh, your ticked off, now I care. :rolleyes: I bet a lot of these small stores have better customer service and better products, but a lot of people have no taste and thus are willing to buy the cheap crap Wal-Mart pumps out. Besides I never said anything about subsidies, don't put words in my mouth.

If you think Wal-Mart is so great, I dare you get a job there.

I know you didn't say that, and I'm sorry I got off on a rant, but the fact remains the same.

Some small stores have great customer service, while others have poor. The same can be said of Wal-Mart, but the simple truth (to me anyways) is that nostalgia or tradition are silly reasons for me to support any particular store.

I'm sorry about not working for Wal-Mart but I'm quite happy right where I'm at.
You say that as if people are forced to work at Wal-Mart. The only way your argument would hold any merit would be if Koonta Kentay worked there and called everyone "master", he doesn't and no Wal-Mart employee is forced to work there.

Corinthian™ said:
I think they are told what NOT to do by the people that work there.

Besides, Unions were one of the best things that happened to industrial societies, and one of the worst for the Railroad companies(and other factories)

Yeah, working for four hours but getting paid for eight is great for any civilization, that is until it becomes bankrupt.:rolleyes:

Lackey said:
yup, everyone knows the Pop Tarts are higher quality at Target :o:up:
I'd rather spend more money getting a dresser that is made out of real wood by a craftsman, rather than one made out of particle board and covered by veneer.

There are more things necessary to have in an apartment than foodstuffs.

Addendum said:
I'd rather spend more money getting a dresser that is made out of real wood by a craftsman, rather than one made out of particle board and covered by veneer.

There are more things necessary to have in an apartment than foodstuffs.
well, that's just common sense.

And in regard to Walmart, they lost their common sense when Sam Walton died.

Man-Thing said:
I know you didn't say that, and I'm sorry I got off on a rant, but the fact remains the same.

Some small stores have great customer service, while others have poor. The same can be said of Wal-Mart, but the simple truth (to me anyways) is that nostalgia or tradition are silly reasons for me to support any particular store.

I'm sorry about not working for Wal-Mart but I'm quite happy right where I'm at.
You say that as if people are forced to work at Wal-Mart. The only way your argument would hold any merit would be if Koonta Kentay worked there and called everyone "master", he doesn't and no Wal-Mart employee is forced to work there.

So why won't you work for Wal-Mart, do you think their a bad employer? I never said anyone was forced to work at Wal-Mart (well except those illegals that Wal-Mart brings in, I guess its either working at Wal-Mart or going back to Mexico, some choice), I said they are bad employer and becvause they treat their employees like crap, the employees treat the customers like crap. Don't blame me when some Wal-Mart employee goes postal.

Wal-Mart may have low prices, but the products and customer service sucks, so I say stop being cheap and get better products somewhere else. You get what you pay for.

Addendum said:
And in regard to Walmart, they lost their common sense when Sam Walton died.
Yeah, I know, I mean back when Sam was alive there were hardly any Supercenters, but now there are like a bunch or something.

I mean what buisness actually wants to grow in size and profit?
:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"