Wayward Pines

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Shyamalan Channeling Twin Peaks With Wayward Pines

News
by Ryan Turek
January 08, 2013
Marking its official entry into developing long-form event series, Fox Broadcasting Company announced today that it has inked a development deal for Wayward Pines, from M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable) and FX Productions.

Fox will order its first event series pilot later this year with plans to debut its first long-form event series in 2014.
"With top-notch auspices and feature-quality production plans, 'Wayward Pines' and 'Blood Brothers' represent exactly the kind of high-impact, 10- to 12-part events we set out to develop when we entered the limited series business," said Kevin Reilly, Chairman of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. "These two series are the first of many big ideas, big names and big talent that you can anticipate will be on our air in the next 12-24 months."

Based on the best-selling novel, "Pines," by Blake Crouch and brought to life by suspense-driven filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan, Wayward Pines is an intense, mind-bending thriller evocative of the classic cult hit Twin Peaks. Secret Service agent Ethan Burke arrives in the bucolic town of Wayward Pines, ID, on a mission to find two missing federal agents. But instead of answers, Ethan's investigation only turns up more questions. What's wrong with Wayward Pines? Each step closer to the truth takes Ethan further from the life he knew, from the husband and father he was, until he must face the terrifying reality that he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive.
Wayward Pines is based on a spec script written by Chad Hodge ("The Playboy Club") and executive-produced by Shyamalan, Hodge, Donald De Line (Green Lantern, The Italian Job) and Ashwin Rajan (After Earth).

I love shows like this...i'm a huge fan of Haven so the weirder the better

Oooh sounds interesting.

Yeah Im hoping its even weirder than Haven.

I was looking at recent posts....saw that someone had made a post in a thread called WAYWARD PINES.....first thing that goes through mind is, someone trying to rip off TWIN PEAKS?....so I came to check it out....and the first line in the first post is Shyamalan Channeling Twin Peaks With Wayward Pines......

If it's half as awesome as Peaks, then I'm in.

I was looking at recent posts....saw that someone had made a post in a thread called WAYWARD PINES.....first thing that goes through mind is, someone trying to rip off TWIN PEAKS?....so I came to check it out....and the first line in the first post is Shyamalan Channeling Twin Peaks With Wayward Pines......

My same exact thought process. :funny:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/fox...ent-series-wayward-pines-matt-dillon-to-star/
Fox Greenlights M. Night Shyamalan Event Series ‘Wayward Pines’, Matt Dillon To Star
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Fox has greenlighted M. Night Shyamalan‘s event series Wayward Pines for a 2014 premiere during next season. Matt Dillon has been cast as the lead in the project based on Blake Crouch’s novel Pines. Described as a mind-bending thriller in which nothing is what it seems, it centers on Secret Service agent Ethan Burke (Dillon) who arrives in the bucolic town of Wayward Pines, ID, on a mission to find two missing federal agents. But instead of answers, Ethan’s investigation only turns up more questions. Written by Chad Hodge and directed by Shyamalan, Wayward Pines was one of the first two event series projects Fox put in development at the beginning of the year under its new mandate to make a push in that area. Hodge and Shyamalan executive produce with Donald DeLine and Ashwin Rajan for FX Prods. Dillon is repped by CAA and Untitled Entertainment.

Sounds interesting, I hope it doesn't wind up involving supernatural stuff though.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/mel...night-shyamalan-event-series-‘wayward-pines’/
Melissa Leo To Co-Star In Fox’s M. Night Shyamalan Event Series ‘Wayward Pines’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Oscar winner Melissa Leo (The Fighter, Treme) is set to co-star opposite Matt Dillon in M. Night Shyamalan‘s event series Wayward Pines, which is eyed for a fall 2014 premiere on Fox. Based on Blake Crouch’s novel Pines, the mind-bending thriller centers on Secret Service agent Ethan Burke (Dillon) who arrives in the bucolic town of Wayward Pines, ID, on a mission to find two missing federal agents. But instead of answers, Ethan’s investigation only turns up more questions. Leo will play Pam, the intense, unpredictable nurse who first takes care of Ethan when he wakes up in the Wayward Pines hospital. But it soon seems Pam may be more interested in harming than healing. Nurse Pam and Ethan grow into deadly rivals, and her role in the town of Wayward Pines proves much deeper than it first appears. Written by Chad Hodge and directed by Shyamalan, Wayward Pines is one of the first two event series greenlighted by Fox, along with 24: Live Another Day. Hodge and Shyamalan executive produce with Donald DeLine and Ashwin Rajan for FX Prods. Shyamalan told a French Web site about Leo’s casting in Pines while promoting his upcoming movie After Earth. Leo recently received a guest starring Critics Choice TV nomination for FX’s Louie. She has The Butler out in August and Treme returning for its last season late October on HBO.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/carla-gugino-cast-in-foxs-m-night-shyamalan-wayward-pines/
Carla Gugino Cast In Fox’s M. Night Shyamalan Event Series ‘Wayward Pines’
By LISA DE MORAES, TV Columnist

Carla Gugino (Watchmen, Entourage, Karen Sisco) has been cast in Wayward Pines– M. Night Shyamalan‘s event series for Fox. She will play Kate Hewson — former love interests of Matt Dillon‘s Secret Service agent Ethan Burke. Kate is also Ethan’s former partner at the Secret Service and a resident of bucolic Wayward Pines, ID, where Ethan shows up on a job to find two missing federal agents. But, because it’s a Shyamalan project — and because it’s based on Blake Crouch’s novel Pines — we know he doesn’t turn up two agents, just a multitude of questions, and each step toward the truth takes Ethan further from the life he knew, and from the husband and father he was, until it looks like he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive. On the bright side, he discovers the love he once shared with the capable, loyal, fiery, blunt, and fearless Kate still simmers just below the surface. Wayward Pines is set to debut in the 2014 part of next season.

Gugino, repped by Untitled Entertainment and CAA — as is Dillon – currently is earning rave reviews on Broadway for her turn in Daniel Pearle’s play A Kid Like Jake at Lincoln Center. She also recently starred alongside Patrick Stewart in the indie Match. Written by Chad Hodge and directed by Shyamalan, Wayward Pines is one of the first two event series greenlit by Fox; the other is 24: Live Another Day. Hodge and Shyamalan executive produce with Donald DeLine and Ashwin Rajan for FX Prods.

First I'm hearing about this. I really should watch Twin Peaks, I've never even watched a single Lynch film tbh, always feel like I should and I have some just never have gotten to them. This does sound really interesting though and I think that even if the series doesn't hit home that maybe M Night's career can find a second wind in television. A lot of his movies could have been WAAAYYY better if stretched out into the length of a series. Can you imagine the reveal in The Village after 4-6 years of build up and mystery? That would've been insanely awesome. Same with Unbreakable which is just ripe for a series. Speaking of, it is about time somebody in television took the superhero genre in the direction Unbreakable did. They said they were trying exactly that with Heroes but that was just a blatant lie

For the first part of Heroes, I'd say it was accurate. The deeper they got into the series, though, the more comic book/camp it became, until it was just unwatchable.

But yea, this sounds good. Cast sounds ****ing superb, that's for sure. Love Carla Gugino

For the first part of Heroes, I'd say it was accurate. The deeper they got into the series, though, the more comic book/camp it became, until it was just unwatchable.

Ehh maybe in connection with the theme of how people might really handle developing powers but it was a TON less personal than Unbreakable and most of the powers were too outlandish and flashy. Chronokinesis, flight, emitting radiation etc. All that stuff while it was still cool and I loved it I still find it to be the more fantastical of powersets. Strength, regeneration, invulnerability, speed, invisibility stuff like that I can see being a lot more grounded than a lot of the other stuff. If I'm making any sense at all that is lol

First I'm hearing about this. I really should watch Twin Peaks, I've never even watched a single Lynch film tbh, always feel like I should and I have some just never have gotten to them.

Twin Peaks is awesome and holds up really well. Some people will tell you to stay away from season two, but while admittedly it has some problems, it's mostly fine. It even has some of the best episodes of the series. It's just that there's a stretch of several episodes in the middle where not a whole lot happens.

The show serves as a good, mild introduction to Lynch's personal brand of insanity, which is kind of a love it or hate it thing I guess. Or maybe it's just an acquired taste.

Regarding his films, if you go through Twin Peaks first, Fire Walk with Me is kind of the next logical step. If you don't watch the series first and want to jump into the movies right away I would recommend Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive.

Yea I've always heard great things about them both. I was always curious about Lost Highway, seriously can't believe I never watched it back in the 90s based on the soundtrack alone lol

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/toby-jones-joins-wayward-pines-m-night-shyamalan/
Toby Jones Joins Fox’s ‘Wayward Pines’ For Director M. Night Shyamalan
By DOMINIC PATTEN

The announcer from the Hunger Games films has joined the event series from M Night Shyamalan. In Fox’s thriller Wayward Pines, Toby Jones will play Dr. Jenkins, a charismatic and mysterious psychiatrist who treats a Secret Service agent (Matt Dillon) who arrives in a small Idaho town looking for two missing agents. Jenkins believes brain damage suffered in a car wreck is the source of the visiting agent’s paranoia. Then again, very little in the town of Wayward Pines is as it seems. Based on Blake Crouch’s novel Pines, the series also stars Carla Gugino and Melissa Leo and is set to debut next year. Along with The Hunger Games and its upcoming sequel, Jones’ credits include Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Frost/Nixon, My Week With Marilyn, the first Harry Potter film, and next year’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier. He is repped by UTA, Sue Latimer at ARG in the UK and attorneys Carlos Goodman and Greg Slewett at Bloom Hergott.

great cast

but with Shamalamadingdong involved in this, it's probably going to suck and will doubt be cancelled

then again, Fox has a knack for keeping crappy shows on the air and cancelling the good ones

great cast

but with Shamalamadingdong involved in this, it's probably going to suck and will doubt be cancelled

then again, Fox has a knack for keeping crappy shows on the air and cancelling the good ones

:whatever:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/ter...ard-pines-adriana-barraza-joins-saint-george/
Terrence Howard (Crash) has been cast as a series regular in the Fox event series Wayward Pines, from M. Night Shyamalan. Based on a best-selling novel, Wayward Pines is an intense, mind-bending hriller about Secret Service agent Ethan Burke (Matt Dillon) who arrives in the bucolic town of Wayward Pines, ID, on a mission to find two missing federal agents. But instead of answers, Ethan’s investigation only turns up more questions as Ethan faces the terrifying reality that he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive. Howard, repped by CAA and Jeff Shumway, plays Wayward Pines Sheriff Pope, joining Dillon, Carla Gugino, Toby Jones and Melissa Leo. He will next be seen in Prisoners, Lee Daniels’ The Butler and The Best Man Holiday.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/sha...yward-pines-ashraf-barhom-cast-in-fxs-tyrant/
Shannyn Sossamon (Mistresses) is set to co-star opposite Matt Dillon in the Fox event series Wayward Pines, from M. Night Shyamalan. Based on a best-selling novel, Wayward Pines is an intense, mind-bending thriller about Secret Service agent Ethan Burke (Dillon), who arrives in the bucolic town of Wayward Pines, ID, on a mission to find two missing federal agents. But instead of answers, Ethan’s investigation only turns up more questions as he faces the terrifying reality that he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive. Sossamon, repped by APA and Oren Segal, will play Theresa Burke, Ethan’s wife. Theresa, who met Ethan when she was a trainee in the Secret Service, left the Service to raise their son Ben. Sossamon joins Carla Gugino, Terrence Howard, Toby Jones and Melissa Leo in the cast. She recently wrapped The Jesuit.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/jul...-m-night-shyamalans-fox-series-wayward-pines/
Juliette Lewis To Co-Star In M. Night Shyamalan’s Fox Series ‘Wayward Pines’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Juliette Lewis is set to co-star opposite Matt Dillon in the Fox event series Wayward Pines, from M. Night Shyamalan. Based on a best-selling novel, Wayward Pines is an intense thriller about Secret Service agent Ethan Burke (Dillon), who arrives in the bucolic town of Wayward Pines, ID, on a mission to find two missing federal agents. But instead of answers, Ethan’s investigation only turns up more questions as he faces the terrifying reality that he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive. Lewis, repped by UTA and Untitled, will play Beverly, a warm and approachable small-town bartender who doesn’t mince words. Ethan quickly learns that Beverly is just as wary of Wayward Pines as he is.

That's awsome. Porter's music on Breaking Bad is one of the rare television scores that I not only notice, but I really like it as well.

In all honesty, the more I read about this and the book its based on, it doesn't sound overly Twin Peaks-y at all. Almost more like The Prisoner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"