Wayward Pines

I'm hyped for this series. I just hope they don't disappoint me like the last event series I got into, "The Event", did.

I'm hyped for this series. I just hope they don't disappoint me like the last event series I got into, "The Event", did.

That wasn't an event series. This is just the new hype word for miniseries/limited series. The Event would've gone on for years if people had actually given a ****.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/09/m-knight-shyamalan-wayward-pines/
M. Night Shyamalan's TV debut 'Wayward Pines': A first look -- PHOTO
By Sara Vilkomerson on Jan 9, 2014 at 5:23PM

When Special Agent Ethan Burke (Matt Dillon) finds himself in Wayward Pines, Idaho, it looks to be a quiet, bucolic pocket of seeming perfection. But considering M. Night Shyamalan is the executive producer of this Fox 10-episode miniseries — created by Chad Hodge from the book by Blake Crouch and co-starring Melissa Leo, Terrance Howard, and Juliette Lewis — you may not be surprised to discover that all is not what it appears to be. In fact, things are downright weird and possibly quite dangerous. We asked Shyamalan, seen here directing Dillon in the pilot, to tell us a bit more about what’s going on with Wayward Pines.

On his inspiration: “When I read Chad’s [Hodge] script I immediately thought: Gosh, I know how to do this,” he says. “It struck me as having a Twin Peaks-y vibe. David Lynch’s achievement with that show — especially in the pilot — was some super audacious filming. It’s the kind of thing where you have these quirky over-the-top performances that are still resonant. He balanced that line in a way only he could to. So when I read Wayward Pines, I found that same mix of humor I’ve been dying to do.”

On working with Matt Dillon: “He’s an icon! He’s just one of those guys — like Travolta — who when they walk and talk and move, everything they do, is iconic. When I tell 10 people that I’m doing this thing with Matt Dillon, eight of them will be like, ‘Cool!’ and then two of them will just lose their minds. They go crazy,” Shyamalan says. “Matt does the straight guy thing. He’s super funny.”

On directing from someone else’s script: While Shyamalyn usually works from his own writing when he directs, for Wayward‘s pilot episode, he worked off Hodge’s script. “This is the first time and, as you might guess, I’m not as precious with the words,” he says with a laugh. “Don’t tell Chad I said that!”

On doing TV for the first time: ”Everyone’s been telling me that I’d like the way the medium is going, how it’s character-based and darker in tone,” he says. “There’s been this shift towards the things I love: atmosphere and not black-and-white characters. Unresolved, open-ended stuff. It’s the same reason why I like smaller movies. It’s proving that leaning on characters and tone makes things resonant.”

To see another exclusive image from Wayward Pines — and to read the rest of our 2014 Preview issue spotlighting 98 other hot new releases in movies, TV, music, and books — pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, which hits stands on Friday, Jan. 10.
I have to chuckle a bit at the Matt Dillion over-praise.

First half of the trailer seemed like a weak ass attempt at being Twin Peaks. Second half.... I'm intrigued.

This looks interesting. I was a big fan of twin peaks so I will probably check this out.

Trying way too hard with the Twin Peaks-isms. It kind of just makes me want a new Twin Peaks actually. I do think it looks really interesting though.

[YT]7dSy-Z9sVEg[/YT]
M. Night's fangirl moment over Matt Dillon was... uncomfortable. :o

Cast looks awesome, premise sounds promising but might over-do itself, and M Night leaves me worried.

M. Night Shyamalan and Matt Dillon Tackle 'New Twin Peaks' with Wayward Pines
"We get to explore the twist."

by Amber Dowling
January 17, 2015

If new Fox summer drama Wayward Pines reminds you of a little old show called Twin Peaks, know that you’re supposed to make that comparison. The novels on which the project is based were written by Blake Crouch — a self-proclaimed fan of the cancelled (and soon to be revived) series.
According to producers Chad Hodge and M. Night Shyamalan, who were part of the show’s panel during the 2015 TCA Winter Press Tour, this TV show goes to “very different places” than Peaks did in its day, though “that was an inspiration for the show for sure.”
Wayward Pines revolves around an idyllic but mysterious town that’s shrouded in secrecy. We enter it though the eyes of Ethan Burke (Matt Dillon), a special agent who has been sent to the town to track down two missing agents. From the moment audiences meet the characters in the town there will be plenty of questions, leading up to a big reveal around the midway point. From there, the show will “change genres,” although producers Hodge and Shyamalan remained tight-lipped on what the genre for the second half of the season would actually be.

For Shyamalan, the fact that every single one of the (various) questions raised are answered by the show’s end is what piqued his interest in the script in the first place. After reading 60 or so pages in bed one night, he got on the phone and had Hodge answer everything, while walking him through the mythology.
“I didn’t understand how anything could make sense,” he said. “I said, ‘As long as everybody isn’t dead, I’m in.’ They explained the entire mythology of what was happening. It was very precise, like a bunch of puzzle pieces that fit perfectly.”
After that, it was a matter of adapting himself for television for the first time. The director confessed that he struggles in film when it comes to telling stories past the first act, because he wants to take his time getting to the crux of the story. The long-form of serialized television allows him to do that.
“It was daunting and challenging for sure,” he said. “I have so much respect for the whole format, the long-form thinking and constantly thinking about where it’s going. One of the things I struggle with in film, is I would love to make a movie just the first act. TV is like me getting to do the first act in every episode. The rhythm is very comfortable to me. I love to do the dinner table scene.”
Once Shyamalan was on board, it was a no-brainer for Dillon to join. The actor admits he doesn’t usually watch TV, but he loves telling stories, and this one was one of the best he’d seen. At least going by the first two episodes.
“For me, most important thing is that there is logic behind what the characters are doing. It doesn’t have to make sense but it has to be truthful,” he explained. “There are different levels of reality for everybody — it’s kind of subjective storytelling from that standpoint.”
Off screen the actors themselves also had different realities in terms of how much each of them knew about the ultimate ending and the show’s mystery. Some of them knew everything. Some of them knew nothing. Some of them wanted to know it all and some of them didn’t want any additional information. But once they all attended a cast dinner at Shyamalan’s house, it was game over.
“At some point I just gave up and I was like, 'here’s what happens, deal with it,'” the director laughed.

As previously announced, Thursday, May 14 (9:00-10:00pm ET/PT) marks Fox Broadcasting Company (FOX) and Fox International Channels’ global premiere of the 10-episode, intense psychological thriller “Wayward Pines.” The highly anticipated event series, based on Blake Crouch’s international best-selling series of books and adapted for television by Chad Hodge (“Runaway,” “The Playboy Club”), is brought to life by suspenseful storyteller M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, Signs), and executive-produced by Shyamalan, Donald De Line, Hodge and Ashwin Rajan. The event series stars Academy Award-nominee Matt Dillon (Crash) as a Secret Service agent on a mission to find two missing federal agents, whose investigation only turns up more questions. Debuting simultaneously in more than 125 countries, it will be the world’s largest day-and-date launch for a scripted series ever

I did and was quite happy. I'm glad they offered the first episode on line legally like that. It was a great opener and I am looking forward to the rest. :)

Yeah, it was a good solid opener. :)

I just couldn't get into it... and that nurse just got on my nerves...

I just couldn't get into it... and that nurse just got on my nerves...

I didn't mind the nurse. The wife however...

Overall the best thing M. Night has directed in probably a decade. From what I understand the book had a really satisfying ending too so I'm completely on board.

It's on Fox, so i wouldn't get too attached...:o

Kind of hard to cancel a miniseries. Solid second episode. Getting more Lost and X-Files vibes from this than Twin Peaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"