The Dark Knight Rises WB Email: The Legend Dies?

You know it's illegal to post trailers online... those people who post them should be hung. Also it's very disturbing when some idiot in the cinema (I'm using the word cinema instead of movie theater because I see you're from England and I want to make sure you understand me) anyways, it's rude to have a camera in a cinema because it takes away from the other movie goers experience. Shame on you! :batty:

Oh look. A troll.

Someone get Rag in here asap.

- Jow

PS: On topic - I'm hoping that email was typed by someone who has english as their 2nd language and confuses the definitions of "ends" and "dies"

Yeah... shame it had to be just another troll. Probably the same guy that made the Robin thread. Reported.

I think Batman as an individual dies in this one....at least to the knowledge of people in the movie....but the concept/ideal/etc. is cemented forever in the hearts and minds of Gotham.

Yes, this conversation again.

:oldrazz:

Maybe Gordon dies in this one and the JGL character takes up that 'mantle', at least symbolically.....

Batman won't die in this movie. Jesus. :doh:

^ this.

As the Great (well... "kinda ok") Kevin Smith was taught with Clerks - you don't have to kill off your main character to have your story "end".

- Jow

Batman won't die in this movie. Jesus. :doh:
You facepalm at the notion as if it's inconceivable to even suggest, when the marketing itself is doing that. Obviously with that said, it's probably not going to happen, but they obviously want people speculating so nothing to be annoyed about discussing it.

Maybe Gordon dies in this one and the JGL character takes up that 'mantle', at least symbolically.....

I'm 100% ok if they kill Gordon, Alfred, Lucious (sp?)

In fact, I do feel like it will create an "all bets are off" mood for the rest of the film if they do and should. Smart money is on L.

Shocking money would be on Alfred. The Gordon - well... idk, they played the "he's dead" card for him in TDK so part of me would be like "don't call wolf" again on me, Nolan. lol

- Jow

It may be unlikely, but it's arrogant to facepalm the idea when someone suggests it unless you know otherwise for a fact.

^ this.

As the Great (well... "kinda ok") Kevin Smith was taught with Clerks - you don't have to kill off your main character to have your story "end".

- Jow

Smith may the last person to take anything useful from when discussing movies...aside from snacks, perhaps. :D

Oh look. A troll.

Someone get Rag in here asap.

- Jow

PS: On topic - I'm hoping that email was typed by someone who has english as their 2nd language and confuses the definitions of "ends" and "dies"

You rang?

Nolan is a good storyteller. i think Bruce dying could work . :yay:

dont forget that a big rumor is that everyone knows that Bruce is batman and that he fake's his death.

In the trailer there's a part with Alfred saying he hasn't protected Bruce Wayne. Easy to do if Bruce is dead and he's dediated to protecting 'Batman' instead.

Could be a nice ending where you see Batman kicking ass then cut to Wayne Manor all boarded up but then slowly pan down to underneath where Alfred is taking to Batman remotely in a full Batcave.

If anyone thinks at the end of this Bruce dies and Batman survives, they need to have their heads examined.

:cwink:

How 'bout the other way around? :O

The other way around is counter to the whole narrative of these films.

It's a fanboy idea but, not one that has any place in these films. Doesn't make them good or bad. Just not of this universe.

Rag, you're saying the idea that Batman dies but Bruce doesn't is counter to the narrative of the films?

Rag, you're saying the idea that Batman dies but Bruce doesn't is counter to the narrative of the films?

Yes.

I know you're going to point out Thomas Wayne and Harvey Dent to me and rightfully so.

But they ultimately didn't finish the job. Wayne/Batman must. For that Bruce Wayne has to become what his Father was and what Harvey Dent was AND maintain Batman.

Yes.

I know you're going to point out Thomas Wayne and Harvey Dent to me and rightfully so.

But they ultimately didn't finish the job. Wayne/Batman must. For that Bruce Wayne has to become what his Father was and what Harvey Dent was AND maintain Batman.
I know you're going to want to stab me in the eye for this because this is the proposition you and others hate the most, but technically that could still be achieved both with Bruce being a martyr (like Dent/Thomas) and with maintaining his work/legend as Batman by handing over his mantle to someone capable.

But sure, have him be a living legend. That works too. Until he dies offscreen, of course.

It's a fanboy idea but, not one that has any place in these films. Doesn't make them good or bad. Just not of this universe.

The big thing is that a lot of folks...myself included...point to the Dark Knight Returns comic as an example as to how it works. But to be fair, it's a story that takes place much farther into the future with a different weight of time on the character and his whole world...whereas this type of story isn't quite that, and you can't really condense it into that. So while I think there are some similarities in this story arc, there probably aren't enough to bring in that kind of 'death' to the main character in this one.

IF they were going to do it, it'd have to be in some unexpected way original to this particular story approach. So yeah, the idea of his death/sacrifice might not make sense in this scheme, but maybe it could in a way that we can't see right now but they storyteller can. Chances are it wont happen, though.

Yes.

Nah, I'm not going to point out Thomas and Dent.

I agree with you. He has to be both Bruce WAYNE and Batman to accomplish what he's set out to do.

I'm also not of the belief that there's ever truly and endpoint. And this doesn't have to do with the comics, but just with the nature of the world. There's always something more out there and you can't stop everything.

If Bruce, as Bruce Wayne, invests in Gotham's future and in its less fortunate... that's awesome. But I believe Batman would always have to be there to do what can't be done in other ways. If the Joker was escalation, Bane just shows that there's always something worse lurking out there and it most likely will come from outside Gotham. Whatever happens, the police and government are only going to ever be able to go so far. And we are talking about a world where presumably the FBI and CIA and other government agencies are similarly empowered for anti-/counter-terrorism as their real world counterparts. This world needs a Batman to stop these guys.

More to the point, I don't think Bruce would be complete without Batman. He's easily incomplete when he's just Batman... when he's not the Bruce Wayne his father would have raised him to be. But the facade of the playboy is more of a burden for him, IMO, than the Batman. I'd go so far as to say that not only is the playboy act something he does because he feels it's misdirection, it's Bruce's own critique of his social and economic class and age group. He easily holds his peers in a similar contempt as Selina clearly does.

Batman is actually the most pure expression of himself that Bruce Wayne gets. It's not an act, it's who he is.. raw. He has to actualize that in a more human way in his "waking" life and the only way to do that is to pursue the template of Thomas Wayne... while still being Batman.

The big thing is that a lot of folks...myself included...point to the Dark Knight Returns comic as an example as to how it works. But to be fair, it's a story that takes place much farther into the future with a different weight of time on the character and his whole world...whereas this type of story isn't quite that, and you can't really condense it into that. So while I think there are some similarities in this story arc, there probably aren't enough to bring in that kind of 'death' to the main character in this one.

IF they were going to do it, it'd have to be in some unexpected way original to this particular story approach. So yeah, the idea of his death/sacrifice might not make sense in this scheme, but maybe it could in a way that we can't see right now but they storyteller can. Chances are it wont happen, though.

Yes.

Nah, I'm not going to point out Thomas and Dent.

I agree with you. He has to be both Bruce WAYNE and Batman to accomplish what he's set out to do.

I'm also not of the belief that there's ever truly and endpoint. And this doesn't have to do with the comics, but just with the nature of the world. There's always something more out there and you can't stop everything.

If Bruce, as Bruce Wayne, invests in Gotham's future and in its less fortunate... that's awesome. But I believe Batman would always have to be there to do what can't be done in other ways. If the Joker was escalation, Bane just shows that there's always something worse lurking out there and it most likely will come from outside Gotham. Whatever happens, the police and government are only going to ever be able to go so far. And we are talking about a world where presumably the FBI and CIA and other government agencies are similarly empowered for anti-/counter-terrorism as their real world counterparts. This world needs a Batman to stop these guys.

More to the point, I don't think Bruce would be complete without Batman. He's easily incomplete when he's just Batman... when he's not the Bruce Wayne his father would have raised him to be. But the facade of the playboy is more of a burden for him, IMO, than the Batman. I'd go so far as to say that not only is the playboy act something he does because he feels it's misdirection, it's Bruce's own critique of his social and economic class and age group. He easily holds his peers in a similar contempt as Selina clearly does.

Batman is actually the most pure expression of himself that Bruce Wayne gets. It's not an act, it's who he is.. raw. He has to actualize that in a more human way in his "waking" life and the only way to do that is to pursue the template of Thomas Wayne... while still being Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"