The Dark Knight Rises WB Email: The Legend Dies?

Yes.

I know you're going to point out Thomas Wayne and Harvey Dent to me and rightfully so.

But they ultimately didn't finish the job. Wayne/Batman must. For that Bruce Wayne has to become what his Father was and what Harvey Dent was AND maintain Batman.

Nah, I'm not going to point out Thomas and Dent.

I agree with you. He has to be both Bruce WAYNE and Batman to accomplish what he's set out to do.

I'm also not of the belief that there's ever truly and endpoint. And this doesn't have to do with the comics, but just with the nature of the world. There's always something more out there and you can't stop everything.

If Bruce, as Bruce Wayne, invests in Gotham's future and in its less fortunate... that's awesome. But I believe Batman would always have to be there to do what can't be done in other ways. If the Joker was escalation, Bane just shows that there's always something worse lurking out there and it most likely will come from outside Gotham. Whatever happens, the police and government are only going to ever be able to go so far. And we are talking about a world where presumably the FBI and CIA and other government agencies are similarly empowered for anti-/counter-terrorism as their real world counterparts. This world needs a Batman to stop these guys.

More to the point, I don't think Bruce would be complete without Batman. He's easily incomplete when he's just Batman... when he's not the Bruce Wayne his father would have raised him to be. But the facade of the playboy is more of a burden for him, IMO, than the Batman. I'd go so far as to say that not only is the playboy act something he does because he feels it's misdirection, it's Bruce's own critique of his social and economic class and age group. He easily holds his peers in a similar contempt as Selina clearly does.

Batman is actually the most pure expression of himself that Bruce Wayne gets. It's not an act, it's who he is.. raw. He has to actualize that in a more human way in his "waking" life and the only way to do that is to pursue the template of Thomas Wayne... while still being Batman.

...can a legend die? I don't think so. I think we haven't figured out yet what Nolan has for us...

legend: a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical.

When I think "the legend ends" I'm thinking the cold, hard facts or TRUTH is revealed - there is NO more mystery regarding The Batman. Bruce's revealed identity is the impetus for significant social change in Gotham (people emerging from their apathy as he wanted in Begins, and moving to a place of accountability for their city and all within).

It could be that Batman's identity remains secret but the element of Batman as urban legend ends. He stands in the light of day going toe to toe with Bane on the steps of City Hall. He has never been seen by that many people before.

The quote from TDK keeps going through my head:

"You die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."
-Dent

I find it interesting the way the poster puts it :
"The Legend Ends"
then AFTER that, it says:
"The Dark Knight Rises"
I'm wondering if there is any significance in the way those two statements are ordered. It may mean nothing, but it's something to ponder.

Lol someone def. got fired......it was just a typo I'm sure though.

I find it interesting the way the poster puts it :
"The Legend Ends"
then AFTER that, it says:
"The Dark Knight Rises"
I'm wondering if there is any significance in the way those two statements are ordered. It may mean nothing, but it's something to ponder.
I thought that was interesting too.

The quote from TDK keeps going through my head:

"You die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."
-Dent

That was a great line, but I think it's significance was only relevant to The Dark Knight.

Batman didn't die at the end, though Two-Face shot him. He lived, and became the 'villain' (at least, how Gotham sees him) by taking the blame for all of Dent's actions.

i belive Bosef.

he said that everyone will knwo that Bruce is Batman . and he also said that Bane will destroy Gotham. not like city in Akira. but he will destroy the city to the point where he will restart everything.

if all of this is true. how do you end this trilogy? i think i know how it ends. Batman needs to become a legend.

fmrrc.gif

And here we gooooo

Frank Miller's DKR ended with the public knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman.

However, Wayne faked his death at the end, and went underground. He then put his resources into spending his next few years building and training a large team (or army) of operatives who would continue on the same work that he had been doing as Batman. These were people who could continue on long after Bruce Wayne - and Batman - was dead.

I don't think Nolan would copy that story blatantly, but there may be elements he will use at the end of TDKR.

and he also said that Bane will destroy Gotham. not like city in Akira. but he will destroy the city to the point where he will restart everything.
Bofef claims Bane destroys the whole City, eh?

Bofef claims Bane destroys the whole City, eh?
not the whole city. but the machine will destroy a big part of Gotham.

thats why i am reminding everyone that this movie is on a Michel Bay scale. the scope is huge.

Frank Miller's DKR ended with the public knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman.

However, Wayne faked his death at the end, and went underground. He then put his resources into spending his next few years building and training a large team (or army) of operatives who would continue on the same work that he had been doing as Batman. These were people who could continue on long after Bruce Wayne - and Batman - was dead.

I don't think Nolan would copy that story blatantly, but there may be elements he will use at the end of TDKR.

would be a cool end though.

As I've said before, I personally don't think Batman is going to die at the end of the film, but it's a testament to just how unpredictable a world Nolan has created in these films that we can't even take for granted the idea that the hero will live at the end.

i would love that durring the chase with the batwing the machine in the truck is on and everything behind them is collapsing. the problem is that it would be to similar to BB

I think that if Bruce is revealed to be Batman, doesnt that in fact end the "legend" status? Batman, "The Legend", turns out to be Bruce Wayne... therefore the secrecy and mystery no longer exists and Batman will no longer be needed. Bruce will be Gotham's hero, not Batman.

I think that if Bruce is revealed to be Batman, doesnt that in fact end the "legend" status? Batman, "The Legend", turns out to be Bruce Wayne... therefore the secrecy and mystery no longer exists and Batman will no longer be needed. Bruce will be Gotham's hero, not Batman.
thats why the city hall fight is so important for Bruce's arc. he is fighting Bane in the batsuit outside in daytime. the batsuit is not anymore used for protection and to hide his identity. this is who Bruce is.

and it would also give the people of Gotham a clear message.

thats why the city hall fight is so important for Bruce's arc. he is fighting Bane in the batsuit outside in daytime. the batsuit is not anymore used for protection and to hide his identity. this is who Bruce is.

Good point. He's literally exposed out in the light for all to see as black armour doesn't provide stealth whatsoever and people know it's Bruce under the cowl anyway. But those opposite still fearing his abilities of course. He's fighting out there with them as Bruce Wayne, using his monster.

That's what I'm thinking as well. The Legend DOES in fact end... Bruce is the real life hero who replaces the Legend of Batman.

Last edited:

Well, even if he's not revealed to be Bruce Wayne it still sends a clear message. Batman is no longer a boogey man or silent guardian in the shadows of the Gotham night... but out in the light of day for everyone to see on the steps of City Hall. He's no longer a legend, he's a fact. He is truth.

So it could go either way.

I think everyone finds out early in the film that Bruce is batman and he goes to prison for his crimes and batman becomes a villain to Gotham (during peace time that is). Once bane arrives and starts destroying everything- the citizens of Gotham realize they need Bruce/batman OR batman decides on his own to screw the opinions of the Gotham citizens and dons the cape one last time to defeat Bane.... And of course everyone is thrilled. Hence the Dark Knight RISES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"