World Web shooter shop class

Status
Not open for further replies.
To spidey44, That's true. Have you had any progress yet?

To symbiote-man, The spring is there for two reasons, to keep it in a fixed position (so the coin doesn't clog the hole with the edge), and to allow it to have two entrances in case you want to put fluid in through one end and have a co2 line running through the other.(truth be told, using the same principle without pressurizing the cartridge and I did make a water shooter. It looks more like a gun, but I could put webbing fluid in there (if I had some :) ))

One thing to keep in mind is that since our fluid is an adhesive and since the cartridges can be refilled repeatedly, You must treat the spring with some anti-stick solution (like teflon). Also, the coins can be neodymium magnets. This just allows it to retain a better seal than an actual coin.

I can't really start to build this until the end of the school year if not summer vacation because I'm trying to concentrate on school.

No. I won't start building until the end pf the school year or summer vacation I'm trying to concentrate on school.

White Widow-
So you built a cartridge? Cool! If you can, I would like you to put a pic up.

Last edited:
I think I'll use PVC as a cartridge and make a Scarlet Spider style web-shooter! I always did like that character! (He should have his own comic...)

Last edited:
I can't really post pictures until I can get my hands on a cheap camera. My computer is incapable of interacting with webcam software. As for the PVC, that is JMA610's idea. What did you mean before you edited the message about bending the cartridge? Just keep in mind that the pressure will only be sustained by the weakest part of the cartridge.

I actually got the idea from JM610, White Widow! Rubber can bend, it might hold pressure, but might be too thick, and the other idea is bendable metal, which could break. I like JM610's idea for PVC better.

Whoops! JMA610! Sorry about that, JMA610!

Last edited:
Hey White Widow, remember when you talked about the spinneret, and it was a rope if the spinneret was spinning fast, and a net when spinning slower? I think that would be the best to do, but I would need a large-ish nozzle and a tiny drill bit. Easier said than done. Also, I would have to get the angles right.
Other than that, a button and a computer chip should take care of it.
The up side is it is sure to work if you get it right, and it can switch so easily! You press a button lightly to shoot a web, and hard to shoot a rope.

The most beautiful part about being an engineer is that you have to make your own parts sometimes. For machines so complex and small as web shooters, it is a completely necessary aspect unless you can get someone else to make that part for you.

For my spinnerette, I will use the same ones as my old design, only clog the holes and make new ones with a heated diabetic syringe. Thid should allow easy hole making. nAlso, you have to take physics into consideration. The spinnerette doesn't have to spin if you make the holes at the right angle, and criss-crossing. This will make the web net/cone,and mine are adjustable, so I can have less flow out to make a strand, or more for the net. Physics take a big role in this, too. Let's not forget that Peter exelled in science, chemistry and physics, so he used all of this in the creation of the fluid and shooter. And it would be best to find a way to make the fluid biodegrade, as it could have a harmful effect on the environment. Like, what will happen if it stays in a landfill, or is incinerated? We could make some bad stuff with this, but the crosslinks help to make it safe.

I toatally agree, White widow! JMA610, I would like to know how this would work, with the adjustable nozzle making a string and web, please explain.

There is thermoset tubing. It denatures in heat meaning that it will shrivel instead of melting. It's also really hard to mold into what you want.

I wanted it so I could pinch it closed, so it would be like a valve.

So, Spidey44, what are you using this web shooter for? Just wondering. If you wan't it to be realistic, I am using a motor to turn a valve with a press of a button. It involves a computer chip to get the timing right, but I can program it.

It's something for fun/ a project I thought would be cool.

I know the basics. I was thinking of using Arduino. To answer the question, yes, I do.
Nice, Spidey44! Mine is for a costume!

Besides a chip, I could rig a wire to open a valve when pulled. To be honest, programing a chip is probably easier than making a tiny part to be put in a tube.

a chip would be to create a double-tap trigger, correct? So for that, you would need it to be hooked up to something that can be activated by a switch, such as a motor that activates the valve or a battery operated valve. I'm telling you, you need to keep in mind that the valve will need alot of magnetic force to move for that much pressure. Also, the chip you are requesting exists. It is called a 555 timer. It uses a logic circuit, and it is available in the old fashion mouse mechanics, though I'm sure you can find them for sale.

The purpose is to:
1.Create a double tap trigger
2. Turn a motor a certain number of degrees to turn a valve and stop while holding the button, then to turn back after release
3. Possibly turn a spinneret (depending on the outcome without it)

So you read my mind. No magnetism, powerful motor, double tap, the only thing I hesitate on is the spinneret, which I probably will use.

I did the chip and button, and it works very well! That one down, three to go! (cartridges, tubing, and valve)

Try borax, water, and Elmer's glue for some ideas on what to do. I did, and it helped me a lot. Yours may be different, so I'll leave the rest up to you.

Like I said on the other forum, use an oxygen compression unit to pressurize the fluid. The solvent, acetone, is key to this formula. Find things, research, ask a friend, but we need things that dissolve in acetone so we can have one mixture of fluids to create the webs. It would be too hard, and maybe hazardous, to have too many chemicals in this. I won't be on nearly as much as I would like to, so good luck to you guys. If I find anything, I will post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"