Welcome to Earth One! - Part 1

Based on the wikipedia page for the All-Star books, it wasn't intended to be tied to Miller's All-Star Batman. Which tracks, because the Batman and the Superman books were tied together at all.

In response to a fan's tweet-pleas for Batman vol.3...

https://twitter.com/1moreGaryFrank/status/946811316534210566
Gary Frank
@1moreGaryFrank

"It's coming!"
DSO_0iWXkAAgeqJ.jpg

Is Geoff Johns still writing the Batman books? He might have a full plate with the film stuff he's been doing.

I'd be fine with another writer...Batman is one of the characters I don't think Johns really gets.

I'm still waiting for news on Superman: Earth One vol. 4

So I just realised Green Lantern: Earth One came out a couple of days ago. Anybody pick it up?

I got.it. it's not.bad. it is different though. It's one of those books where you'll either like it or hate it. Personally to me it's the third best book of the earth one line with Superman being first and Batman second.

I did not read it andI don't intend to. The GL E1 seems... off. I perceive it that way.

I did not read it andI don't intend to. The GL E1 seems... off. I perceive it that way.

It is off some what. For example when a Lantern dies the ring doesn't choose another person instead if you find the body and ring of that Lantern it's yours. Also Hal Jordan's outfit is nothing more than his spacesuit with the Green Lantern symbol on it and they took away the mask. The one thing I dont like is that they took away the Green Lantern oath. There are some good moments and it is a long fun read. As I said before though it can easily be for a lot of people a hit or a miss. For example I like the movie more than the book but I still do like this book. This book isn't as good as the Superman and Batman Earth One books but I think it was better than Wonder Woman and probably on par with Teen Titans if you liked that. Just a more serious read. You just have to be open to change if you want to read this book.

It is off some what. For example when a Lantern dies the ring doesn't choose another person instead if you find the body and ring of that Lantern it's yours. Also Hal Jordan's outfit is nothing more than his spacesuit with the Green Lantern symbol on it and they took away the mask. The one thing I dont like is that they took away the Green Lantern oath. There are some good moments and it is a long fun read. As I said before though it can easily be for a lot of people a hit or a miss. For example I like the movie more than the book but I still do like this book. This book isn't as good as the Superman and Batman Earth One books but I think it was better than Wonder Woman and probably on par with Teen Titans if you liked that. Just a more serious read. You just have to be open to change if you want to read this book.

I thought they were following the original Gill Kane origin where Hal Jordan comes up with the GL oath instead of it already being in place with him building to those iconic Green Lantern trappings instead of automatically getting it with the ring. I would love to say where they take the mythos from here to be honest.

I do like how they handled some of the characters and introduce familiar trappings in new way. Like
scientist Kilowog teaching Hal how to use the ring, Arisa being a leader, Hal being a pilot before he became an astronaut miner, etc

I thought they were following the original Gill Kane origin where Hal Jordan comes up with the GL oath instead of it already being in place with him building to those iconic Green Lantern trappings instead of automatically getting it with the ring. I would love to say where they take the mythos from here to be honest.

I do like how they handled some of the characters and introduce familiar trappings in new way. Like
scientist Kilowog teaching Hal how to use the ring, Arisa being a leader, Hal being a pilot before he became an astronaut miner, etc
I guess that's way it's going and as I said before I personally liked the book but as far as the Earth One origin books goes I put it like this:

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Green Lantern & Teen Titans
4. Wonder Woman.

I do hope though the series gets better as time goes on and it is hinted at that this series takes place with Superman & Batman some time down the line.

Even though I wasn't in LOVE with vol.1, I do wish that DC would get someone who is as passionate about the character on her regular title as Morrison is about Earth 1.

Just read Wonder Woman vol 2 and I got to say out the Earth one line so far the Superman trilogy has been the best followed by Batman and then Green Lantern and then Teen Titans. Wonder Woman IMO has been the weakest of the line so far.

Batman Earth One Vol 3 was fantastic and had a great ending. I am wondering if they're going to stick to tradition and keep it a trilogy or do the fourth book with Robin and Batgirl and Joker. Either way I loved this story as I have said before DC missed out on not making these books ongoing comics.

My one problem with this book is how they quickly introduced Dick. I wish they spent more time on him but loved the Joker's surprised origin in this book.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have the first 2 volumes but havent bothered with the third one yet. Geoff Johns has had these annoying habits the last few years, its either that his stories have really really weird twists that dont make sense, or there is some sort of huge mystery that he never bothers to reveal. Like with Three Jokers, guy was doing setup for that story for like 6-7 years and still did not answer all the questions.

But you liking it might make me pick it up.

The third book was very good and had very interesting take on Two-Face and the Joker ( who also knows who Batman is). It also gave us a cool double page look at the Bat-Cave and all the Batmobiles. The only thing I really didn't care for was the Catwoman outfit and how Dick Grayson and Azrael just get a one panel origin story and that's it before you see them in their outfits. As I have said before DC really missed the make on not making these books ongoing issues because seeing what has been done in Superman, Batman & Green Lantern there is so much untapped things they could explore. But then again they missed the mark as well with the new 52 Earth-2 books or just starting an Ultimate type line using Calvin Ellis amd his world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"