Welcome to Earth One! - Part 1

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Thread Manager, Jun 13, 2012.

1. dude stannis Registered

Yeah, originally Grant Morrison was also meant to do Flash: Earth One, but he's using that story for Multiversity #2.

2. Saint Registered

I just read volume two of Batman EO.

When I read the first volume (back when it was released), I wasn't sure how I felt about it. On a certain level, it felt like Johns poking fun at Batman. Batman seemed like a chump. I get that this is precisely the point, but it was... weird. I initially felt that absurdity of the whole situation was so hammered into me by the story that it made it difficult to get behind the character--because he just seemed like a stupid person doing stupid things who would get himself killed stupidly. Like it was all a big joke.

Now, after having digested that book and with who this character is and how he fits in this world really expanded on, I found I really fell in love with the idea in volume 2.

I think what spoke to me was the realization that in this universe Batman makes mistakes. That's a foreign concept for the character. It's a really tough sell in the mainstream continuity: Batman just has so many stories under his belt, and has faced so many situations, that it becomes increasingly unbelievable that he would ever fail. How could XYZ defeat Batman when we have 70 years of examples indicating it shouldn't?

It isn't that this Batman is inexperienced--even though he is--it's just a functional part of this universe. He's never going to be perfect, or having perfect information, or make perfect choices. He'll never be everything from all angles.

I think the part that sold the book to me was how Batman initially dismisses detective work as "Not my job," but later realizes his mistake and asks Gordon to teach him. Batman, making a mistake, changing his mind, and correcting himself? Unusual, and instantly endearing. It's really refreshing to see a Batman to whom none of this comes naturally, and for whom nothing can be taken for granted. It adds a dimension to the story that isn't normally present.

3. Gee Rebirth

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/artic...veal-teen-titans-earth-one-volum/1100-155128/
    [​IMG]

4. HighFivingMF Welp.

YES! Finally!

5. Kobra Registered

I think volume 2 was great. Both art and story. This is the type of Batman story i like. Simple, grounded, character driven.

6. Drz Real Hero

Huh, that's cute.

7. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

8. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

9. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Ignoring the gods as being part of WWs mythos....ok...

10. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

In fairness, a lot of the original Marston and Golden and Silver Age material afterward was very light on the gods. Ares was the only Greek God that had a large, outstanding presence. A lot of Wonder Woman's adventures in those time periods were espionage and sci-fi in nature. It wasn't until the Perez reboot that the gods and mythical aspect of Wonder Woman was brought to the forefront. Seems Morrison wants to look at something more along the lines of Marston's ideas over Perez, which is very refreshing since it seems DC is determined to cut that aspect out of Wonder Woman.

#435 Tron Bonne, Mar 31, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  11. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Yeah but ignoring them as being part of her creation in general is weird. Of course it is a E1 novel so things change but certainly wont help people who are already confused about the character.

12. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

Eh, they were pretty ignored in Marston's original run, too. They were shown at the beginning, but then basically ignored outside Ares and Aphrodite. I think it's great, really, that we're getting something that focuses on another aspect of the character. As fresh as Azz's take was on the Greek pathos, WW has been stuck in mythological mode for too long. We need to get some of that weird sci-fi juice that helped birth the character back.

13. titansupes Registered

My WW: EO shipped a couple of days ago. Looking forward to, been a long time coming.

14. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Just finished reading WW:E1. Didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, it was ok. Though I feel like the bathing suit is played out and didn't really understand why she stuck to it in the end. I guess to help empower women?

I am split on Hippolyta being the enemy in this

The only amazon missing was Cassie, it was great seeing everyone else.

15. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

The bathing suit is her iconic look and always will be, that's probably why. I haven't gotten around to reading it as of yet, though, so I don't know what the in-story reason is, if there is one.

One thing I hated flipping through the thing is that I saw they had the bottoms without the stars and I was like, 'yes, finally, the suit is basically perfect!' But then on the last page I saw they added the goddamn stars back and it's like oh ****, forget it. I know the cover had the stars, but I thought maybe that was more just representing the iconic look or something.

16. Tvar10 Who the hell is Bucky?

Just picked this up the other day...havent read it yet. Im pretty excited for it tho

17. dude stannis Registered

Wonder Woman: EO was an odd duck for sure. It's as accessible as anything Grant's ever written and he's clearly taking the piss out of the creator of WW, but I still really liked it.

18. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

Taking the piss out in what way? It seemed to me like he's just trying to modernize the concept, but I've not actually read it yet, just going by what he's said and we've seen so far. Marston's philosophy is somewhat similar to Morrison's in a lot of ways, but Marston's is generally completely misunderstood.

19. Legendver2 Registered

Will all this eventually lead to a Justice League Earth-One?

20. dude stannis Registered

Grant read Marstons original notes and found them weird as hell. So he's definitely having a bit of fun with it.

21. dude stannis Registered

22. Naked Shia Greece is the best coutry

great news! volume 1 was really interesting. It was quite simple for a grant's story, but it has a refreshing and different pace.

23. dude stannis Registered

Yeah, it's easily the most accessible thing he's written.

24. HighFivingMF Welp.

Just got Wonder Woman. I'll get to it soon enough. Read Superman Part 3 the other day. I like that Lex and Two-Face are women in this universe.

25. Gee Rebirth