Welcome to the Film Lounge - Part 1

Wow! I haven't seen that film since I was a kid, almost forgot about it. Was that your first time?

No. I saw it a couple of times in the 60's and 70's on TV. Sometime in the mid 80's GOODTIMES video put it on VHS tape and I saw it again then. Hadn't seen it since then (hadn't even seen it listed as being on TV anywhere) and a few weeks ago found a cheap DVD of it.

Has anyone seen that documentary that comes with the Tarantino blu ray boxset? Is it worth picking up?

I'm setting myself to watch Rocky films
Years have passed since I last saw them, nearly a decade. Most of what I remember is a white boxer from Philadelphia who outboxed their black champion and got a statue built in his honor

Most people remember Rocky for the fights, but the 1st one was also a really well written and well acted, touching love story between two very shy, kinda down on their luck people, Adrienne and Rocky.
I also love how Rocky is supposed to be some kind of mob enforcer/repo man in the beginning, but is too nice to get the job done. I also love Butkus:woot: And everything else about this film actually. Awesome movie that really deserved its oscar.

Last edited:
Rocky is my most favorite movie ever. People argue whether it deserved the Oscar or not, and I say that the only one that actually would have deserved the Oscar over it is Taxi Driver. Network is a movie I also love, but people forget to look at how it was view in 1976, which was a huge joke. Not in the sense that it was bad, but people laughed at the concept of television becoming so ridiciulous. It was much more satirical in 1976 than today.

As much as I liked All The President's Men, I don't find it as exciting as the other movies.

I've been meaning to do a Rocky marathon ever since I picked up the collection on blu ray. I love Rocky , but hope Stallone leaves the franchise alone. I'd rather see him play Rambo one last time.

I thought this was cool, it's a montage of 2012 in film.

[YT]zL8uJC1trFA[/YT]

He always does a great job with those :up:

Most people remember Rocky for the fights, but the 1st one was also a really well written and well acted, touching love story between two very shy, kinda down on their luck people, Adrienne and Rocky.
I also love how Rocky is supposed to be some kind of mob enforcer/repo man in the beginning, but is too nice to get the job done. I also love Butkus:woot: And everything else about this film actually. Awesome movie that really deserved its oscar.
It's a real strong start, for these reasons
Credits for the script was a surprise, Stallone wrote it himself, didn't think he had it in him

I loved the Rocky series mainly the first two. I use to hate Rocky 5, but once I looked at the series as a whole, I no longer hate the film but continues to be my least favorite. I thought Rocky Balboa was a nice closing to the series.

I also feel Sly's last Rambo movie simply titled RAMBO was a great closing to that series as well. It was nice to finally see John Rambo accept everything and find the peace to go back home. Felt like the character finally got the closure that he needed.

Rocky and Rocky II are about the only "sports" movie I generally care for. The sports part is pretty loose, though, I realize. Still, fantastic films. The rest...eh.

I wish more of Cronenbergs films were on blu ray. I own all the available ones, but not enough of his earlier stuff is available in the format. I'm a bit of a Cronenberg high right now and need more!!

Ah, yes, love early Cronenberg. Not as big on his modern films, though, really. Would like for him to go back to some pseudo-sci-fi craziness like Videodrome.

Ah, yes, love early Cronenberg. Not as big on his modern films, though, really. Would like for him to go back to some pseudo-sci-fi craziness like Videodrome.

See, I LOVE all of Cronenbergs recent stuff, but I'm also incredibly fond of his early stuff. I just got Videodrome on blu ray a couple days ago and fell in love with it all over again. That guy is one hell of an artist.

I'm gonna make it my goal to buy at least one criterion movie a month. Hopefully I can build a pretty nice collection

I just wish they weren't so damn expensive. $30 or more per film is painful

Yeah, it sucks, but you have to keep in mind that not only do they put a lot of effort into restoration, in nearly every case, they are also paying another studio for licensing privileges. If they didn't have to do that, I would assume they'd be cheaper.

Yeah, it sucks, but you have to keep in mind that not only do they put a lot of effort into restoration, in nearly every case, they are also paying another studio for licensing privileges. If they didn't have to do that, I would assume they'd be cheaper.

That's true. They're also films that probably wouldn't be on blu ray otherwise. I don't like paying what I pay for them, but in the end it's worth it.

Good point

That's true. They're also films that probably wouldn't be on blu ray otherwise. I don't like paying what I pay for them, but in the end it's worth it.
I agree

When I go to New York at the end of May my plan is to buy as criterion dvd's as I can.

I've seen this question pop up from time to time but decided to bring it back.

Where is the line drawn between stealing a scene from another movie or using it as an homage?

I think it's generally the same thing, but the line is when someone acknowledges it or not. Though I guess a homage could also be like a scene 'stolen', but with some type of twist to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"