Welcome to the Film Lounge

Finally watching the original Predator, and certain beats are like the signature of Alan Silvestri.

Man, this place needs more love, it's good for topics that are hot for a while then are soon discarded, or comments that are not followed by not many replies.

Oh well, I've been watching lots of films in recent weeks, both old and contemporary, partly because I want to watch them, and another part of me wants to recognize how much truth there is behind "Superhero movies RUIN cinema" claim.
Conclusion? Other genre films seem to garner as much attention as they would have without superhero movies presence on the scene.

A list of movies I watched recently:
  1. Captain America (1990, forgettable)
  2. Batman: Bad Blood (dull)
  3. My Neighbor Totoro (like it)
  4. Arrietty (love it)
  5. La La Land (Hilarious, in the best way possible)
  6. The LEGO Batman movie (hilarious)
  7. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (really liked it)
  8. Treasure Planet (solid reimagining of the Robert Louis Stevenson story)
  9. Shaun of the Dead (it didn't leave the right impression on me)
  10. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (emotionally empty)
  11. Alien vs Predator (emotionally empty)
  12. To Kill a Mockingbird (my favorite of the bunch)
  13. Split (love it)
  14. The Magnificent Seven (1960 one, I like it)
  15. Not Without My Daughter (it's alright)
  16. Batman: Under the Red Hood (I'm still a fan)
  17. John Wick Chapter 2 (hilarious, in the best way possible. I love these two films)
  18. Pacific Rim (it's ok)
  19. Train to Busan (love it)
  20. LEGO Batman: DC Superheroes (I really like the game, the film is nice too)
  21. Resident Evil: Vendetta (like it)
  22. The Iron Giant (not something I'd want to watch again)
  23. Moana (songs are nice, the film itself is underwhelming)
  24. Sully (really liked it)
  25. The Founder (love it)

Nice group of movies Aziz....I've seen 12 of them....and I agree that Mockingbird is the best of that lot.

Here's what I watched last month -

*Wonder Woman (2017) Gal Gadot
The Sand Pebbles (1966) Steve McQueen
John Wick (2014) Keanu Reeves
A Bridge Too Far (1977) Sean Connery
*The Perfect Weapon (2016) Steven Seagal
*Oceans Rising (2017) Jason Tobias
Grosse Pointe Blank (1997) John Cusack
The Sum of All Fears (2002) Ben Affleck
The Big Sleep (1946) Humphrey Bogart
Marlowe (1969) James Garner
Wonder Woman (2017) Gal Gadot
The Scorpion King (2002) Dwayne Johnson
Kull the Conqueror (1997) Kevin Sorbo
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) Chris Evans
*A Little Game (2014) Ralph Macchio
Incident at Phantom Hill (1966) Robert Fuller
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)
The Dogs of War (1980) Christopher Walken
Quatermass and the Pit (1967) Andrew Keir
*The Sessions (2012) John Hawkes
Gypsy (1962) Natalie Wood
The Pirates of Penzance (1983) Kevin Kline
*Ben 10: Alien Swarm (2009) Ryan Kelley
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002)
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Rogue One (2016) Felicity Jones
*Scaramouche (1923) Ramon Novarro
*Scaramouche (1952) Stewart Granger
*Into the Storm (2014) Richard Armitage
*Get Smart (2008) Steve Carell
*Hail, Caesar! (2016) Josh Brolin
Roxanne (1987) Steve Martin
*Hitman: Agent 47 (2015) Rupert Friend
Spectre (2015) Daniel Craig
Daredevil (2003) Ben Affleck
Blade Runner (The Final Cut)(2007) Harrison Ford
*Ambushed (2013) Dolph Lundgren

Grosse Pointe Blank is a favorite from when I was a kid. Watched it recently, and still really enjoyed it.

Grosse Pointe Blank is a favorite from when I was a kid. Watched it recently, and still really enjoyed it.

Oh yeah, I love that movie. It has one of the best soundtracks out there. It's hilarious with some great wild action. I remember that before I saw it, I saw Cusack on Jay Leno and they were talking about his fight with Benny "the Jet", and Cusack said he had been training with him for about, I think, 5 years. I knew I had to see it then.

I have been on a Bogie kick:

The Big Sleep
Maltese Falcon
Treasure of Sierra Madre- Now in my top ten films of all time
The African Queen
In a Lonely Place
Dark Passage- This is not highly regarded, but goddamn if ain't fun. Do you need to change your face in about a day? Come right in...no appointment needed.

I'm being a total dick about reading some of these negative War for the Planet of the Apes reviews.

"Wahhh it's too bleak!" shut up. :funny:

I'm being a total dick about reading some of these negative War for the Planet of the Apes reviews.

"Wahhh it's too bleak!" shut up. :funny:

That's an odd complaint...these films always looked bleak as hell to me that's why I never watched them in the first place. Aren't they supposed to be dark? It's about war...and humans being mean to monkeys...:funny:

That's an odd complaint...these films always looked bleak as hell to me that's why I never watched them in the first place. Aren't they supposed to be dark? It's about war...and humans being mean to monkeys...:funny:

Yes they are, so when people whine about it I'm just like "k....you were expecting what exactly? For Caesar to find these dudes and hug it out?" :funny:

Yes they are, so when people whine about it I'm just like "k....you were expecting what exactly? For Caesar to find these dudes and hug it out?" :funny:

I'd actually wanna watch them but I got very upset when the CGI monkey was dying (he was then fine, thank God) in Night at the Museum 3 last night so I don't think it's a good idea... :funny:

I'd actually wanna watch them but I got very upset when the CGI monkey was dying (he was then fine, thank God) in Night at the Museum 3 last night so I don't think it's a good idea... :funny:

I always recommend the Apes films, I think you'd like them too. They're interesting in the way that they're making you sort of root for the end of humanity at times. :funny:

I can honestly say that the modern take on Planet of the Apes is well rounded in tone, it's bleakness does not make it an unwatchable experience, it keeps it a highly enjoyable one.

For the first time ever, I'm doing my Indiana Jones movies marathon. I confess never seeing any of these movies from start to end before, but I'm getting that Temple of Doom is a prequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I'll start with this order.

I always recommend the Apes films, I think you'd like them too. They're interesting in the way that they're making you sort of root for the end of humanity at times. :funny:

Yep, exactly how they make you feel!

It's disappointing that it's not as lively as other lounges I tend to visit are.

Temple of Doom is a fun movie with silly moments, I have no complaints about it as a piece of entertainment, but I wonder how fast is a fast acting poison to let a victim as lively, active and engages in some cartoony action that belongs to a parody of James Bond opening scene.

Did you spot Dan Aykroyd in it?

Did you know this movie is what made them create the PG-13 rating?

I missed that cameo.

I can see why this movie influenced the inception of that rating system with that nice discussion of exploring tunnels.

Up in the Community section I started a thread about History In Pictures. If anyone wants to contribute please do. Basically it's pictures of both historical events and every day life from the past with some important figure from entertainment, politics and society at large sprinkled throughout. I've tried to cast a wide net of images and events but I'm sure there's a lot I missed so please, add your two cents in.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=541167&page=18

Didn't know we had one of these, over this side. Grand stuff. :yay:

Oh my good lord, my local cinema is showing a 60th Anniversary print of Vertigo on the 19th July. OMG, my favourite director and my favourite film of his on the big screen. I can die happy now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"