• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Were you the bully or the...."bullee" in school?

Yeah, I had a massive stutter as well. I still have one now, but it's under a lot more control.

*pumps fist*

Brother!

I still have a pretty bad stutter, but it's worked itself into more of a "tsch" at the beginning of every sentence, instead of, well -

I chose the last option. I joked around with everyone because I was pretty much friends with everyone. Usually, I was the one to defuse any bullying or conflict. I was never bullied in High School. In Jr. High, yes - but who wasn't?

I was that kid that people knew existed, but not enough to be bothered with. I got through school rather unscathed.

That was how I survived high school (despite being 5'10") but it was weird once I got to college. "Like, I actually have to talk and have people notice me?" Even into grad school, it was hard for me to socialize with "the pretty" girls and speak up in class without fear of ridicule.

*pumps fist*

Brother!

I still have a pretty bad stutter, but it's worked itself into more of a "tsch" at the beginning of every sentence, instead of, well -
For my speech therapy degree, I had to take a class on stuttering. One of the discussions we had was what advice to give to a student client who was getting teased at school for stuttering. My professor's advice was to have the student teach his peers "how to stutter." Like give a lecture to his classmates on stuttering.

What do you think of that?

I could have been a bully, but I took the route of bullying the bullies and standing up for the bullied

Never was one for bullying. Way too laid back for that.

And apparently a bit too intimidating to be the "bullee" as well.

Basically got along with mostly everyone.

For my speech therapy degree, I had to take a class on stuttering. One of the discussions we had was what advice to give to a student client who was getting teased at school for stuttering. My professor's advice was to have the student teach his peers "how to stutter." Like give a lecture to his classmates on stuttering.

What do you think of that?
Hmmm, I don't think it's the actual act of stuttering, but the pressure to be fluent that's so crushing.

I think if you sorta have them imagine literally hitting a wall and trying to get over it, that's kinda what stuttering is like. Or sharing what it's like to be scared of talking.

I was the head of a shadow vigilante organization that protected bullees from bullies. We called ourselves The Bully Busters, and we had secret codes and everything. So...I guess I was a bully, but a well meaning one.

I was teased and beaten up at school practically every day because I was short up until about 8th grade when I started filling out from wrestling and soccer and learned how to really, really fight and defend myself. Pretty traumatic for a young kid, but I learned how to handle it eventually and by the middle of my 8th grade year I had a reputation as someone who would not only fight you if you started something with me, I would try to maim you and fight extremely dirty. This made the kind of kids who wanted to mess with me in my younger days just leave me alone. I only had a few fights in high school, mostly from guys who wanted to test the reputation out and see if I really would fight like that. They found out that I would. Never bothered me again. If people think you are stone cold crazy when provoked, to the point that you don't care if you cripple or maim them, they'll pretty much leave you alone. :up:

jag

I was bullied here and there until high school; I was short and pudgy in middle school, and a nice kid so I was an easy target being that I went to inner-city schools with somewhat harsh kids . . .

when I was in elementary school, this kid used to bully me around on the playground here and there; the next year I was able to fend him off and we actually started becoming friends after I hit my head on the playground over horseplay and didn't tell on him . . .

after that, he kind of became somewhat of a bad influence on me; I mean, I wasn't really that bad, but it was a guilty by association type scenario; and I would joke around in class when before I wouldn't; I remember one of my teachers specifically telling me to stop hanging out with him because he was bad news.

well, after elementary school, I never really saw much of this kid again; we went to different middle schools and lost touch

it turns out he was convicted of murder in 1995 and is currently serving a life sentence in prison

I was picked on in Jr. High, my family moved from the Chicago to the Suburbs just before I started 5th grade, parents enrolled me in the local Catholic/private school, which sucked. Never really got in trouble before that, but was getting in trouble all the time there, being the new kid, short and skinny was picked on a lot, but also had a short temper and would always fight back. Parents realized that school wasn't good for me and sent me to the public school, where things were much better, still got picked on, but had good friends to offset that. Plus started to get my temper under control, bullies don't seem to like picking on kids that don't respond to their tactics, by eigth grade wasn't messed with. Got a little ribbing early in high school, but since I never fought back and just ignored the bullies, they stopped bothering me early on.

When i first moved here to Texas like close to 9 years ago I went to this public school for the 4th grade,i had to have been 10, and well anyways i thought it'd be good, I was used to moving around and 2 boys there totally had crushes on me..if giving a girl a rock and weird drawing means anything :D lol but well i was (and still am, but i'm no pushover anymore) was the quiet and painfully shy girl who kept her mouth closed. I guess that's an easy target for a bully, because i wouldn't say anything, except i didn't have a bully- rather 2. these 2 girls had it out for me for no good reason, from teasing, to pushing, to putting signs on my back, and the last straw for me was being pushed into this bench that had this big ol' nail sticking out. I finally told my parents, they told the principal, i had to do therapy(which was only one useless session, the lady fell asleep in the chair right in front of me! i spent the whole time just sitting there :D) and then i transferred to another school. but yeah, uh..i had never been picked on before, i mean in my other school i participated in activities- from soccer to relay team, i was shy but i got along with everyone, but when i went to that school it just was a disaster for me. I nevere though I'd be a target for a bully so i left the public school and decided private school was for me. Who knew 10/11 year olds could be suck b...er..witches? Not me, gosh what happened to little girls ony caring about ponies and rugrats? Geez.

I was teased and beaten up at school practically every day because I was short up until about 8th grade when I started filling out from wrestling and soccer and learned how to really, really fight and defend myself. Pretty traumatic for a young kid, but I learned how to handle it eventually and by the middle of my 8th grade year I had a reputation as someone who would not only fight you if you started something with me, I would try to maim you and fight extremely dirty. This made the kind of kids who wanted to mess with me in my younger days just leave me alone. I only had a few fights in high school, mostly from guys who wanted to test the reputation out and see if I really would fight like that. They found out that I would. Never bothered me again. If people think you are stone cold crazy when provoked, to the point that you don't care if you cripple or maim them, they'll pretty much leave you alone. :up:

jag
Glad to hear you fought back. I know the only two times I fought back, nothing really came of it. One was after a kid put the filling from a cherry turnover on my seat. Both were red so I didn't notice. When the bell rang and we were clearing out of the cafeteria, I shoved him hard enough to take him off his feet, up and over one of the tables. The other, I can't remember what made me snap, but I simply slammed the kid into the concrete wall by the throat. But even afther these violent outburst, nothing much changed. And this is why I did a happy dance when I found out one of my bullies got himself killed while driving drunk.

I was fairly popular in high school, and I did pick on people. Nothing serious (never physical) but I did pick on a few people. It was harmless.

I was fairly popular in high school, and I did pick on people. Nothing serious (never physical) but I did pick on a few people. It was harmless.
Not to the people you picked on.

I was taller than about 95% of everyone at school so noone really gave me any ****. I didn't pick on anyone either...to their face.

I moved around quite a bit and ended up at this high school in north Texas where most everyone had grown up together. Naturally I was a bit more "eclectic" than was the norm for the area (this was in the early 90's).

I was decent height, decent size, etc...but completely unusual to most of them. Basically take your general East Village inhabitant and put them in a school with largely jocks and rednecks (not everyone - but there were A LOT OF them). There was nothing especially unusual about me other than that I dressed different and listened to different music and had little to no accent.

Needless to say I spent a lot of time getting cornered in the locker room, attacked by multiple students in various places, degraded on field trips - basically the worst of the worst.

My mysterious demeanor managed to catch the attention of a few females somehow though ;)...and as many of the other students began to mature and come into their own I was accepted a bit more, but this lasted more or less throughout my entire high school career.

I still managed to hold my own despite this treatment - I was quite active in the theatre of course and spent all of my summers and holiday breaks up here in the city.

I know that a lot of these "bullies" are either in jail, have been murdered, have died in horrible accidents, and have met a number of other fates - though many grew up normal and have families. A nice comeuppance was many of them trying to contact me after seeing me on a couple of different TV shows (hey the weird arty actor actually became an actor...) via myspace and such. I really hold no grudge as many people change and as youths (and sadly often as adults) they simply react in horrible ways towards people they do not understand.

I was bullied here and there until high school; I was short and pudgy in middle school, and a nice kid so I was an easy target being that I went to inner-city schools with somewhat harsh kids . . .

when I was in elementary school, this kid used to bully me around on the playground here and there; the next year I was able to fend him off and we actually started becoming friends after I hit my head on the playground over horseplay and didn't tell on him . . .

after that, he kind of became somewhat of a bad influence on me; I mean, I wasn't really that bad, but it was a guilty by association type scenario; and I would joke around in class when before I wouldn't; I remember one of my teachers specifically telling me to stop hanging out with him because he was bad news.

well, after elementary school, I never really saw much of this kid again; we went to different middle schools and lost touch

it turns out he was convicted of murder in 1995 and is currently serving a life sentence in prison

I like how this sets up a tease of redemption but spirals into tragedy.

Glad to hear you fought back. I know the only two times I fought back, nothing really came of it. One was after a kid put the filling from a cherry turnover on my seat. Both were red so I didn't notice. When the bell rang and we were clearing out of the cafeteria, I shoved him hard enough to take him off his feet, up and over one of the tables. The other, I can't remember what made me snap, but I simply slammed the kid into the concrete wall by the throat. But even afther these violent outburst, nothing much changed. And this is why I did a happy dance when I found out one of my bullies got himself killed while driving drunk.

Oh, I took more than my share of ass-whippings and teasing for the longest time. Ignoring them didn't make them stop. Trying to talk to them and treat them nicely didn't make them stop. The only language they apparently spoke that would make them stop was my pimphand and it took me a good while of fighting back to learn how to use it. By high school I got along pretty well with just about everyone, though. I was friends with all the jocks, all the band geeks, all the stoners, all the preps, etc. I had detractors from all those groups, but for the most part I got along well with everyone. I would do my best to stop bullies when I could. I also had a lot of very large friends from football, soccer and wrestling that pretty much made it clear that anyone that messed with me would wind up messing with them. There were also a number of stoner kids that had the reputation of being total badasses that loved to fight (and they deserved those reputations) that made it clear to anyone that might want to mess with me that they'd pummel the crap out of them, too (which was weird because I was never a stoner). By that point, though, I'd been lifting weights and wrestling a lot so I was pretty well able to handle myself soooo....it was a little late on their part. LOL! It did save me once, though. There was a kid that was like 6'6" and 290 who loved to beat the crap out of the smaller kids and one day he set his sites on me in a Literature class. The defensive line from the football team happened to pretty much all be in that same class and they ganged up on him in a corner of the room and beat the holy f**k out of that kid before he even knew what hit him (the teacher was not yet in the room) and told him he better leave me alone or he'd get worse. When the teacher came in, he was sitting in the corner crying and bleeding and everyone else was sitting in their desks, ready to learn. She asked what happened and he sobbed out "I fell down!!!!" and then ran out of the room. He didn't really bother many kids after that incident. It pays to have friends. :hehe:

jag

I was never a bully or bullied anyone. I remember one say I was sitting during business class and some guy behind me started jabbing my back for 30mins straight with a pencil, the second the teacher left I got up and punched him in the ear a couple of times. I guess everyone saw that and knew I would defend myself. The next class begun and for 30mins the guy was crying hahahahaha

I wasn't really bullied per se, people would always just do or say stuff to me to get a reaction because I was the "quiet dude". Someone would always mess with me and call me gay because I wouldn't say anything to them.

Them Columbine happened and suddenly all I got were scared looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"